Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Any New Novels set Pre-Spellplague?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

R0GUE
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  00:33:24  Show Profile  Visit R0GUE's Homepage Send R0GUE a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It's been a long time since I posted here, mainly because 4e and it's effect on the Realms royally tweaked me off. I have however been getting the bug again to read some good FR fiction, and I was wondering are there any relatively new or soon to come out novels, that take place before the Spellplague, back in the good old days of around 1370's-1385's DR? Anything other than the Salvatore novels.

Thanks for your help!

You have had your pocket pilfered by the R0GUE.

Edited by - R0GUE on 16 Jun 2010 00:51:56

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  01:08:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. Aside from potential Ed's works [and possible flashback scenes and/or chapters in other upcoming novels], which will always likely feature some degree of pre-Spellplague Realmslore, Wizards are set to publishing ALL other Realms novels in the post 1479 DR period.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  01:48:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they ever did though, I would pre-order a hardcover of anything pre spell plaque

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  03:14:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With few exceptions, WotC -- and TSR before them -- have kept the Realms novels set in or close to the current year of game time.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Jun 2010 03:15:32
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  10:20:31  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that Ed has said that the only two authors who could write anything pre-Spellplague are himself and Bob Salvatore.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  10:40:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, well, I'd made note of Ed's status already, and I think R0GUE was also aware of RAS's status given his opening post in this scroll.

Go to Top of Page

R0GUE
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  00:15:58  Show Profile  Visit R0GUE's Homepage Send R0GUE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I knew about RAS, and I assumed Greenwood would obviously have the same prerogative. I was hoping the WotC people had learned their lesson from my (and I presume other's) lost dollars and had possibly started up a line of "retro" novels or somesuch. So disappointing.

SPOILERS BELOW:

One of the biggest problem I have with the Spellplague is that I considered the gods, like Mystra and Eilistrae, to be characters in and of themselves. I loved them in the same way I loved Storm Silverhand and Danillo Thann and even Volothamp Geddarm. By killing off those gods, just to make the RPG books more "accesible", I felt their losses were cheap and depressing. And its not as if I have the mortal characters to fall back on, most of them are dead too! I have no interest in reading about a Realms where all these characters are just gone in a poof of executive-boardroom smoke.

The last novel I read was the Lady Penitent series, where Eilistraee was killed. This left such a bad taste in my mouth that I have not picked up a non-RAS book since.

It is so sad that I can't stand to read these wonderful author's stories about a world I used to so deeply enjoy. I doubt I am the only one who has a virtual 4e-Realms boycott going on. I suppose it's possible WotC is making more money now that they were in the halcyon Realms I enjoyed, if so I suppose it was a shrewd business move on their part. But I will continue to not support these products until they bring back a retro line of some sort.

Is any one else with me? Or am I spoiled old-fogey railing against the wind?

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  02:04:12  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, even RAS has progressed to post-spellplague in the Ghost King. It might be a book or two before he gets closer to the setting's time frame though.

I've pretty much stopped paying attention to WotC though. The last Realms anything I bought was an anthology. I just can't seem to get interested in the 4e novels.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  02:30:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We prolly shouldn't clutter up yet another threat with anti-4E sentiments.

Go to Top of Page

R0GUE
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  02:42:29  Show Profile  Visit R0GUE's Homepage Send R0GUE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry. I will shut up now. Happy travels.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  02:56:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R0GUE

No need to shut up. It's just that there's been an unfortunate tendency in the past for threads that aren't really about edition to become new grounds for yet another of the endless edition debates.

It's okay to discuss anything you want, as long as it remains civil and doesn't violate the rules. I was just trying to keep this thread from going into the 4E-bashing territory.

Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  03:08:13  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too was very skeptical about the new 4 edition realms as I have been a avid FR reader for around 16 years now and own every novel in the line. I must admit however, after reading several of the newest books that while many old faces are gone and the realms has changed there are some real quality books in the new edition of the setting. Most of which are better than many of the latter 3.5 edition novels such as the various "class" series'.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  03:18:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As Wooly notes, it's really not about "shutting up." Rather, so long as your criticisms are constructive, courteous, and above all else, positive, then you're free to engage in friendly debates about the strengths and/or weaknesses of pre- and post-Spellplague Realms fiction.

Keep in mind also, that many authors visit these halls, and they're taking time out of their busy schedules to assist in any discussions about their works, so it pays to be as respectful and thoughtful with your questions, as possible.

Go to Top of Page

R0GUE
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  04:01:54  Show Profile  Visit R0GUE's Homepage Send R0GUE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really wasn't trying to be overly negative. Very sorry if I came off that way.

First off, I have no gripe with any of the authors. Far from it. I miss reading their work!!

I guess I liken the Spellplague thing to major superhero comics, which also utilize an ongoing universe. Marvel and DC occasionally kill their characters or do a major paradigm shift in their universe. But they would NEVER get rid of 90% of their most popular characters at once. Because they know it would totally alienate a lot of their fans. Yet, this is basically what WotC did to the FR.

Anyway, I don't even want them to get rid of their post-Spellplague books. If people are buying them and reading them and enjoying them, heck let's make more! What I am doing is petitioning for a retro-line of books, that continue on the old story lines and with the old characters. Perhaps telling untold stories of their youth, or whatever!

If I might again liken it to comics it would be similar to Marvel, which has a classic line of comics, and a separate Ultimate line of comics, more structured toward new readers.

Well that's my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  04:23:13  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently found out about X-Men Forever.
Go to Top of Page

R0GUE
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  04:28:14  Show Profile  Visit R0GUE's Homepage Send R0GUE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah! That and X-Men First Class are great examples of what Forgotten Realms could be doing to satisfy some of us purists.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  05:03:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I recently found out about X-Men Forever.

X-Men Forever works especially well if you were also a fan of Chris Claremont's final run on the two core X-titles of the early 90's.

Go to Top of Page

R0GUE
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  05:27:36  Show Profile  Visit R0GUE's Homepage Send R0GUE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are also doing an "X-Factor Forever" that picks up on Louise Simonson's run and are about to start another Claremont one "New Mutants Forever". (I've been reading a lot of comics instead of Forgotten Relams novels lately )

Edited by - R0GUE on 17 Jun 2010 05:28:23
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  20:50:59  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
X-Men Forever works especially well if you were also a fan of Chris Claremont's final run on the two core X-titles of the early 90's.

Which I was, and stopped reading them when Chris left and superhero comics became what they did in that decade. X-Men Forever perhaps most directly, but also the other multiple Marvel timelines and things like the Star Wars expanded universe show, first of all, that we needn't assume the present state of Realms-2008-only publishing is a final and permanent one.
Go to Top of Page

Archimedes of Syracuse
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  21:19:22  Show Profile  Visit Archimedes of Syracuse's Homepage Send Archimedes of Syracuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rouge In your first post you asked for books that are before or up to 1385. I just wanted to hop on and recommend richard lee byeres fairly new series, the haunted lands, very good series.
Go to Top of Page

R0GUE
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  00:16:22  Show Profile  Visit R0GUE's Homepage Send R0GUE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are the ones that take place during the Spellplague right? Do they deal with the death of Mystra and other gods there? If so do they do it justice? I don't want to be as let down as I was with the death of Eilistaee.

Edited by - R0GUE on 18 Jun 2010 00:16:45
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  09:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Those are the ones that take place during the Spellplague right? Do they deal with the death of Mystra and other gods there? If so do they do it justice? I don't want to be as let down as I was with the death of Eilistaee.

Death of Mystra is in the Empyrean Odyssey, also set in 1385.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  16:27:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The prelude of THE SERPENT'S DAUGHTER (coming 2012) will be set just before the Spellplague.
Go to Top of Page

R0GUE
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  23:26:14  Show Profile  Visit R0GUE's Homepage Send R0GUE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that you are making an effort to link it to the past. :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000