Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Astrology in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  03:49:50  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am sure this topic may have come up at some point in the past on here, but I am curious about this.

Has there ever been official discussions of generally accepted astrology in Faerun? How about anything official on the differing nations practice and studies of astrology?

Does Faerun have a zodiac system?

Is there an official listing of all known constellations or celestial bodies of Faerun? (besides the planets, of course)

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  04:24:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Has there ever been official discussions of generally accepted astrology in Faerun? How about anything official on the differing nations practice and studies of astrology?
Ed's shared a few tidbits in his replies over the years. A thorough search of the "So Saith Ed" archives should reveal some info. [I think I've still got an astrology-related question pending for Ed, too.]
quote:
Does Faerun have a zodiac system?
No.

So Saith Ed:-
quote:
Hi again, everybody. Ed sails into Wooly Rupert’s question: “I was reading the Dragon Magazine article on fantasy astrological signs, earlier this eve... It made me ponder a couple of things. Though both topics have been discussed, I don't believe anyone has ever thought to ask Ed. So... Does astrology exist in the Realms? Is there a zodiac? And what constellations exist in the Realms?”
Ed replies:

Yes, Wooly, there’s astrology in the Realms, though not by that name and not as we know it. Rather, soothsayers and fortune-tellers use the position of the stars (and sometimes, especially in the Shining South and Calimshan, by the position of tokens tossed blindly onto a star-chart) as one influence in predictions and divinations. There’s no zodiac by that name, nor are people deemed to have characteristics because of the “sign they’re born under” (as real-world astrology has it) or “year they’re born in” (as in real-world Chinese beliefs). Rather, individuals are said to be marked by a “guiding star” or “falling star” (comet or meteor shower), or by a conjunction of constellations that may have occurred at their birth (particularly if this conjunction is rare, or has a fell reputation).
There ARE constellations in the Realms, and I’ve provided some sketchy star-lore in print over the years, Elaine and others contributing more. As Eric said, AJA has done a very good job of gathering it all together (as well as weaving in his own lore) - - and I’m afraid I can’t comment too much more on the constellations, because, again, TSR is sitting on paid-for but unpublished Ed Greenwood lore, so an NDA applies.

quote:
Is there an official listing of all known constellations or celestial bodies of Faerun? (besides the planets, of course)

No detailed listing. But bits and pieces of constellation-related info have been scattered throughout the majority of Realms products. Here's a webpage compiling information on them:- http://web.archive.org/web/20050427104236/ www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/stars.htm

[Cut and paste the link above into your address bar and delete the space between the "/" and the "www"]

And Ed's touched on the subject of specific constellations in his previous replies. I suggest you perform a search through the compiled reply files.

It's important to note, also, that the constellations themselves aren't identified in mainstream Faerûnian religion with the gods, though they have religious associations and portents among sky-gazers and mystics, and among animist cultures such as the Bedine.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  07:14:42  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another source is Spelljammer >> Realmsspace

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  07:58:53  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool link! all kinds of other fun (if unofficial) stuff floating around in there.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  12:41:12  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It's important to note, also, that the constellations themselves aren't identified in mainstream Faerûnian religion with the gods, though they have religious associations and portents among sky-gazers and mystics, and among animist cultures such as the Bedine.

Zakhara has a group of mages called "astrologists" (wizard kit detailed on The Complete Sha'Ir's Handbook, which allows the wizard to memorise additional spells (up to 3 at a time, I think) by "hanging" them on a constellation that's visible in the night sky at a given moment.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2010 :  22:00:03  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see. Alright, thanks to you all! I'll make use of what is here and make up anything as I go along. I am surprised after all these years something like this hasn't gone into much more detail.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  01:11:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

I see. Alright, thanks to you all! I'll make use of what is here and make up anything as I go along. I am surprised after all these years something like this hasn't gone into much more detail.

Knowing Ed [and judging from his past replies on the subject], it probably has been well-detailed. However, it's likely that this kind of lore that hasn't really found a worthwhile place in published sources because not every Realms fan would find it interesting. Kinda like the reason why details re: deity-related rituals haven't received much attention in published Realmslore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  16:55:55  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a shame. I'd like to see more of both. I love stuff like this, as it gives the world a more "real" feel!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000