Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 need advice on where to place these three modules
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  03:00:52  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Thanks in advance.

My primary center of undercover intrigue is a monastery for orphans, run by monks. After the orphans grow up they are 'job placed' throughout Faerun. Rangers pass there often on their way through a little used pass (on secret Harper business).
The monastery might be placed central to common play. Somewhere near, but outside, the dales and Cormyr. Perhaps west of there.
I'm thinking the Storm Horns, but am not convinced.

The second place that i need to locate is a small ruins of a court small princedom of half elves. Sort of a 'Lost City of the Half Elven Prince" sort of thing.
A prince of half elf blood is given a fief and gathers all the lonely half elves to him, but evil prejudiced elves massacre the whole town and few survive. The colony only last about 100 years, and it was raided and razed 30 years ago. Sad. Lots of room for plot.
The Lost City needs to be remote, but hopefully not on the other side of the continent. It really needs be only about the size of an isolated valley, with perhaps some forest.
I'm thinking High Forest, but only for lack of knowledge of my options.

The third place i am trying to find a home for is "Tokenkoff's". Tokenkoff is a weapons master with connections to some big money. He runs a mock town battle college.
The compound looks like a town, but every person there is either a student or a teacher. Students (adventurers, and such) pay to battle each other, and get lessons, in the stadium. There is also an underground dungeon to train in, and the staff fills it with skeletons and traps to train against.
Whole battalions are trained outside town on the battle fields.
All the employed paid actors, and high level undercover NPC. The butcher, baker and candlestick maker are all part of the mock up.
But there's more. Tokenkoff's is a melting pot of plot. Everybody and their sister drops by to get rumors, or start them. Celebs stop by to look cool, and the newly rich to rub elbows with the celebs, and etc.
Tokenkoff's needs to be strategically placed between the 'old money' and the 'frontier'. When the poop really hits the fan it will be used as a military center. Someplace where a weeks forced march could put a military force in the thick of the war.

Well i typed for half an hour, so i hope someone has some ideas. I really just don't know faerun (i used to play more but my kids are into it now).

Oh yeah, it would be nice if Tokenkoffs and the monastery could be within a few days, or weeks, ride by horse. The lost city could be rather remote, as long as it isn't in the far east or off the map or .. .

Thanks- J

Mod edit: Language, please.

I'd love to try some pbp, but never have. PM me a game i could lurk at. I think it would be fun to play with someone who has tabletop software.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Jun 2010 04:53:05

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  13:21:09  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the need for Mod edit. Usually i am the one reminding others.

Still. seems an irony that some one read that far down the page, and the post has 30 views, and not one reply.

I'll check back today to see if there are any answers. THANKS.

I'd love to try some pbp, but never have. PM me a game i could lurk at. I think it would be fun to play with someone who has tabletop software.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  16:52:43  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's your time frame? You said its your kids, right? So, I'm guessing 4e. If so, the stonelands would be a good place for your half-elven kingdom. A half-elf tames an area of the stonelands and in accordance with Azoun's edict, he becomes lord of that area. Could've been taken down by the Eldreth Veluthra.

Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  08:08:58  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Deepingdale for the half-elf, Archendale for the military types and Sembia for the old money.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  05:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tethyr would be a good place if you want it to be "standard" half-elves, while the Lolth/Loviataar worshipping nation of Dambrath may work for your purposes as well (the half-elves being half-drow in this case, the "Crinti" caste, if I recall).

Honestly either of those would work, depending on what you want. Tethyr's got some interesting anti-monarchy work going on during the 1370's, and any open college of war/sting of pain would work in Dambrath. Given the use of Skeletons ("an evil act" according to the rules in 3.x), I can see it working in Dambrath quite well.

Sorry for not posting sooner, but that's what I've got. Sorry it's not closer to the Dales than that.
/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."

Edited by - Darkmeer on 11 Jun 2010 05:54:49
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  07:26:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thunderpeaks for your monastery (someone did a very nice map last year, combining quite a bit of lore for that region)*

I like the Semberholme area for your 'lost half-Elven kingdom' - that's the lower SW quadrant of Cormanthor.

Then place Tokenkoffs somewhere around Tilverton (or its ruins if it is 4e) - perhaps the location where Griffon Hill is? Although I was thinking actually slightly North and a little east of Tilverton - half-way to everywhere.

Map of that entire region

This way, all your ducks are in a row (or rather, everything you need is a day or two ride from everything else).

*EDIT: Found the pertinent thread

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jun 2010 01:39:58
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  02:42:19  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love your ideas...I'm going to head home to consider some locations for you as well.

Great ideas by Markustay and fantastic maps!

I love Candlekeep :)
Go to Top of Page

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  06:46:37  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your time and ideas. I have been reading a lot about faerun, and the heartlands. I think that i am close to some decisions.

BTW i need to edit the first post. It was prejudiced racial purist HUMANS that murdered the prince of the half elven prince. The murderer is still alive, but near 60. He still has lots of henchmen to do his dirty work. The family of the murderer and the family of the half elf prince are in a feud, because 150 years ago his (human) aunt ran away with an elven (prince) lover and caught malaria in the jungle and died. The human family blames the elves and flip out. The flipping out somehow causes the human family to lose it's noble Title (though not their fortune) and now they hate the half elves family and are intent on wiping out the last of survivors of the massacre.
Since they are no longer nobility the clan head figures he might as well get rich and powerful as a despot.
I am still leaning to the High Forest for the lost half elven kingdom. I read that there used to be a elvish empire there? long ago?. Well when the host from Evermeet came back to faerun for the war (which war again?) the half elf price (or his father?) saved the king or some such, and was granted a fiefdom. This seemed to some of the kings advisors like a great time to 'recolonize' the High Forest, and they sponsored him there.
The High Forest is vast. I am in no hurry to unfold the last of this story to the players, so having a vast dark primitive forest to search and explore is great. Plus, it's out of the way, but not. The players can pass through or by several times before they learn the import of the site to the campaign.

I am seriously considering Thunder Peaks or Archendale for Tokenkoffs. I like the idea of them being tied to Sembia, and Cormyr both. I kinda like the idea of placing it north of Thunderholm, at the headwaters of the Thunderflow.

The monastery is still seeming to fit in the Storm Horns. All i need is a foot path sized pass over the mountains. I am thinking of putting the monastery just east of the Helmslands, and north of the Redwoods And very near the peaks of the eastern Storm Horns.
Does anyone know about that area? Is Castle Kilgrave still occupied? Is the redwood forest pleasant?

Do ya'll folks know this map? http://www.nj-pbem.com/data/Maps/Overview.htm If you click a square it zooms in, and there are four levels of zoom. Great tool to see general sizes.

Well, i'm fallin asleep, so i am done. Be back soon.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  10:03:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrie

BTW i need to edit the first post. It was prejudiced racial purist HUMANS that murdered the prince of the half elven prince.
Missing a great opportunity there - you have a group of Eldreth Veluthra (sp?) operating out of the Hullack forest there.

Eldreth Veluthra are basically Elven Nazis

They don't take to kindly to the mixing of Elven blood....

The Red Woods was the name of the forest band along the lower slopes of the Stormhorns - mostly evergreens - and aside from the occassional bandits or small group of Goblins that found there way through the mountains from the Stonelands, it was relatively harmless. However, as of the Spellplague, a large mass of Giant Redwood trees appeared in the region near Redspring. Little is known about the forest, except that it wasn't always there - at least not the deepest, darkest parts where the immensely tall trees grow... its said that strange Apelike creature live there. Others tell tales of the small forest Rothe returned, and giant Owlbears the size of Ogres! Most smart folks just keep out of the deeper parts...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jun 2010 10:15:10
Go to Top of Page

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  16:32:36  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MARKUSTAY!. Thank you,thank you thank you. The Eldreth Veluuthra are perfect. ONLY THIS TIME THEY ARE WORKING WITH HUMANS!

Still thinking, but i think that in a cell oriented organization there could be a lot of interpretations. A few elves would like Druids, and if the end goals were similar a few might choose the lesser of two evils. So there could be a few smaller but relatively solid factions that would work with some few cagey humans that aligned with their ideals and goals closely enough.
If the (rare) human was completely oriented (a nazi human faction that hunts half elves) then temporary alliances might work. Sort of a peace treaty (we'll divide Poland between us) between racist. Don't the Eldreth Veluuthra get some druids and rangers now? Do they get clerics? Don't they have some god helping them in secret? I heard it could be Malaar, and he makes werewolves out of humans also.
SO. The EV has the KKK clean up the half elf court that was set up by the royalty of Evermeet so that they stay clean of the blame. ? ? ?

This works great for me, because my main NPC is the son of the murdered half elf prince. He is a half elf Ro/Ra that SPECIALIZES in disguise/bluff/gatherinformation/et al, and plays TWO DIFFERENT personalities in public (one ranger and one rogue/bard). Infiltrating the EV sounds nearly impossible and verrrrry dangerous. I will have to research the techniques for such a task carefully, and will probably have to gather just the right magic items to pull it off. It might take 'years'. heh

Whats the deal with Temple Acheron? is it good or bad? I will go look it up some day. Still thinking of a great place for the Monastery. Perhaps at the headwaters of the Sword River? Folks would have to travel the river to cross the Redwoods, if you wander off the path or get caught in the forest at night, etc. . .

BTW !! I am playing 3.5, and will likely need eventually to play through the whole Cyric Mystra era and read about the Spell Plague, etc, but i only own the three core rulebooks 3.5. I will likely try to avoid ever buying 4.0, but might be forced to buy 5.0 if the game and story drifts so much that everyone else has moved out of 3.5.

Baby's cryin', gotta go.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000