Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Imaskar Empire is up ....enjoy every one
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  08:19:52  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

http://phasai.deviantart.com/art/IMASKAR-166507649

feedback please....any glaring errors pointed out, positives etc......

Contents
Outline of the Empire (Circa -2700 DR) page 3
Imaskari Language & Culture page 4
A History of the Empire page 12
Chronicle of the God-Kings page 49
States & Cities of Imaskar page 52
Landmarks of the Empire page 82
Magical Items of the Artificers page 98
Spells of the God-Kings page 118
Kits & Classes page 125
Resources Used page 133

FROM THE MISTS OF TIME WE COME TO TELL OF OF AN EMPIRE WITHOUT EQUAL BEFORE OR SINCE IN ALL OF HUMAN HISTORY. A TIME WHEN DRAGON RIDING WIZARDS WITH THE POWER TO LEVEL MOUNTAINS DEFIED THE VERY GODS, AND IN THEIR HUBRIS CONSIDERED THEMSELVES TO BE EQUAL IN ALL WAYS TO THE DEITIES THEY DENIED. LET US TELL YOU OF THE LESSONS OF HISTORY SO THAT YOU AND YOURS WILL NOT REPEAT OUR MISTAKES

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  08:51:34  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any chance of Illythiiri coming next?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  10:37:45  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmmm got 10 years.......???????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  11:07:10  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow... Haven't read through the whole thing properly yet, but there's some serious detail there. Very nice to see where the empires borders extended to and some detail on various cities and states. In a word, awesome!

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  11:41:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very impressive Snowblood. As I long-time Imaskari-fan, I'm proud to have this compilation of official Imaskari-lore as part of my FR campaign library.

In fact, you've motivated me so much with your efforts here that I'm going to re-double my own work on finishing up the compilation PDF I've been working on that includes ALL of the Imaskari tidbits that George Krashos has scattered around both here and on the Wizards boards over the years, and offer it up as an addendum supplement to your own work.

Neat, huh?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  11:41:50  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanx for that....a detailed critique is welcome

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  11:48:19  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes lots of canon lore woven in with plausible home grown using culturally appropriate models of ancient Persia, Assyria, Macedonia, northern India & central asian states.....

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  12:15:20  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and sage,,,,,thats sounds awesome........will be great to see the two side by side and then adjust mine to fit with yours to get a rather mind boggling tome on Imaskar..... good luck in your great works....

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  14:45:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

Oh and sage,,,,,thats sounds awesome........will be great to see the two side by side and then adjust mine to fit with yours to get a rather mind boggling tome on Imaskar..... good luck in your great works....

Well, it's mostly all Krash-lore that will feature in the supplement. I've added a few bits here and there [mostly creating brief connections {using official material} between the Krash-lore and what I think relates with previously established Imaskari lore], but by and large... it's George's baby.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  15:36:51  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nicely done...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  19:23:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to check this out - it will be nice to have something fairly organized as a reference for my Hordelands project... if I ever get back to it...

Did you do anything with Halaster? Just curious... I had big plans for him in my piece about Thaeravel, the Land of Alabaster towers.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  21:19:03  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very well done Snowblood. I have to free up a couple of hours on the morrow to take the plunge into your impressive tome
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  14:58:52  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

thanx for that....a detailed critique is welcome

I don't have time for details but a few questions. I thought the period of Shartra had something to do with Shar? And what about the tribes from the Horde and their interaction with Imaskar, the obscure ones like Kalmyk, Issacortae and others. Why is it called the ''cult'' of Demogorgon when the temple is in the centre of the city? Are the Immortals like the Immortals from 300? When did the kaorti transformation happen?

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  18:26:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad he didn't touch on the tribes or the kalmyk - an obscure piece of lore in one of the Hordelands adventures has given me some interesting ideas for the Kalmyk (Ancient fallen empire, who's inhuman slaves revolted and eventually drove them out of their own lands). The Raumather Empire was the 'last hurrah' of those once-great people. BTW, they are more of a Slavic-like people, and not of the same genetic make-up as the Taangan. There are at least 4 human ethnic groups in The wastes. The people of Sossal are one of the last pure strains of human Kalmyk (just like the Hartsvale humans are one of the last pure strains of Netherease).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Jun 2010 18:28:17
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  09:40:30  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A cult be be of any size it just means absolute/fanatical devotion to a single leader/spiritual guide etc. The Cult of Demogorgon was the chief 'spiritual' sect in an otherwise spiritually and morally bankrupt society...It was the the rot at the core that was frequently rubbed out but never completely erased and offered a seductive road to power...even if the costs were rather extreme....as for the steppes tribes...well as the main focus of this piece is the central empire and not every province or backwater district I have left it open...other wise this pdf would be three times as large....besides Sir Markus has spent A LOT!!!!!.....of time on the Kara-Tur/ Horde aspects so I bow to his wisdom and knowledge of that part of the empire. The Kaorti transformation is open to question....I couldn't find i reference point to tie it to...but some where about the time that the artificers started exploring the 'outer-outer planes'....Old Slimey, would have had a hand in this as the slippery little worm is always trying to escape into this reality....... so travel through the far realm would have happened fairly early on in the peace before they met the Leshay perhaps??? If you can nail it down great.... Oh and the immortals are a half legion of Lore Guards..all volunteers...and fanatical members of the Cult of the Wizard Kings. Hope this helps.....or it could have been when the silly ones tried to summon Ghaunadaur into the central Raurin...that would work too...besides anyone silly enough to travel to the Far Realm deserves everything they get.

Oh and anyone silly enough to go

Edited by - Snowblood on 07 Jun 2010 09:46:28
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  09:41:46  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PS you could always fling the Kaorti query over to Bruce Cordell at WOTC....

Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  11:50:46  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't matter, I just wanted to add a few missing lore bits to your well researched project. Better to ask James Jacobs at Paizo actually.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  13:23:20  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope you're all enjoying Imaskar....Lost Cities of Cormanthor on its way in a month or two...

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  22:07:54  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Glad he didn't touch on the tribes or the kalmyk - an obscure piece of lore in one of the Hordelands adventures has given me some interesting ideas for the Kalmyk (Ancient fallen empire, who's inhuman slaves revolted and eventually drove them out of their own lands). The Raumather Empire was the 'last hurrah' of those once-great people. BTW, they are more of a Slavic-like people, and not of the same genetic make-up as the Taangan. There are at least 4 human ethnic groups in The wastes. The people of Sossal are one of the last pure strains of human Kalmyk (just like the Hartsvale humans are one of the last pure strains of Netherease).

I thought the Suren (southern Kalmyks) warred with Raumathar, aren't they separate tribes?

Off topic question, the Gur from the Hordelands and the Gur from the Heartlands, are they related?

On topic, I remember years ago, there was a mention of the Empire of the South that was destroyed by the Imaskari and Lurien was like this Empire's Shire. I'm not sure if this is canon, anyone knows?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  23:35:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How I see it unfolding:
The original, HUMAN Kalmyk migrated south from their location north of the plain of horses - they were wonderful horsemen and fierce warriors. Over the course of untold centuries large groups of them wandered both west and south, but the southern group ran afoul of the Muhjari (the forerunner of both the Imaskari and Durpari peoples, which migrated up throught the Utter east from Zakhara). This friction with the early Raurinease civilization forced most of the migrating Kalmyk (people who later became known as 'Ruamather' or 'Rashemi' stock) even further west, displacing earlier Kalmyk settlers in those regions. The last group to migrate in that direction were the Narfelli, who displaced the Gur tribes, who had lost some of their natural horsemanship as they developed from a hunter-gatherer group to a more sedentary state. The Gur in turn continued west, unable to deal with their barbaric brethren (and in truth, so many centuries had past they were unaware of the connection), and wound up in, and around, the fertile Anauroch basin. Parts of this early pre-Netherease Gur civilization can be seen in the tribes of the Ride (Eraka), the Tunlanders (Mir), and even a small group of originals living in the Iceroot Forest of The Hordelands.

The group that took-over their old territory, in the northern portion of the eastern coast of Yal Tengri (The Great Ice Sea), were their Hob-Goblin slaves, bread originally as cheap labor but then later (stupidly) trained to war and were used as shock-troops. They outed their old masters and drove them south (taking advantage of major climactic changes to the region), and developed their own civilization based on military hierarchy.

When the aboriginal Kara-Turan peoples began to migrate west themselves, they learned both horsemanship from the Gur, and a ferocious way of fighting from the 'new' Kalmyk, eventually becoming a distinct group unto themselves - the Taangan (later taking the name 'Tuigan' from the dominant clan).

The (Hobgoblin) Kalmyk were content, for the most part, fighting with the early Raumather (Gur refugees) and Kara-Turans that lived in and around the Ama basin and Horse plains, until the coming of the Copper Demon of Troos. This being - an arch-fiend trapped inside a Raumather WarGolem - managed to break-free of its prison when magic briefly died in the year of Sundered webs, and came amongst the Kalmyk and became their leader (after slaying their High Warchief). He lead them first against Tsharoon (an Imaskar survivor-state in the then-fertile Quoya desert), destroying that civilization, and then on into northern Kara-Tur . He briefly ruled there before being outed by the Shou - some think he was only interested in the region because he was looking for some great artifact in Kuo Meilan.

During that 'occupied period' of northern K-T, a large group of Kalmyk, being disgruntled over the apparent 'lull' in fighting, broke-off from the rest and headed south, raiding into Ra-Khati, Khazari, and even into Semphar and Solon (bear in mind this was the 'Era of the Survivor-States'). This group became known as 'The Suren' - there is source which specifically states 'monstrous horsemen' descended on Ra-Khati and Khazari during this period.

95% of this is canon - I just pieced it all together. All state and ethnic groups are canon - the one major caveat I made was turning the Kalmyk into a Hobgoblin nation (using that one small entry from an adventure module as my basis). Although that seems like quite a leap, the involvement of the Copper Demon of Tros (who is indeed canon, but NOT his involvement with the kalmyk, although his 'march' on northern K-T is - I just gave him an army ), I mostly did it because it worked, it fit (given the parties involved), and mostly because an oriental-like culture of hobgoblins in the Plain of Horses is just too cool to pass-up. They are no-longer known as the kalmyk, just as the humans before them lost the name - they are now called the Fankiang, and are usually (and mistakenly) lumped-in with the rest of the Hordelands tribes.

All of that, BTW, is just a small portion of the Ethnic History of Faerƻn I was piecing together. I have over 200 canon ethnic groups I had to trace through various migrations and fit it all in with known canon. The human Kalmyk (based loosely on a Russo-Finnish culture) was the SECOND group of early humans to develop a civilization on Toril. They actually learned the rudiments of civilization from an earlier group that dominated them briefly - a group known to Sages only as the 'Pozi People' (no records exist of what they called themselves...perhaps the Elves might know...). That is the group that built many of the truly ancient works in The North, like the Citadel of the Raven. They learned civilization themselves at the feet of the Elves and Dragons, during that period of time when Dragons briefly ruled over the early Elven nations (a brief glimpse of that can be seen in a short story somewhere). They themselves were destroyed when the world was Sundered by the elves, dropping most of their settlements and cities into the sea, and setting human-kind back a good 10,000 years. The only 'pure' group of them still known to exist are the Reghedmen barbarians leaving in the Frozenfar (area around ten Towns), although the Northmen of Rauthym and elsewhere have quite a bit of that blood as well.

Hope Snowblood didn't mind me posting this here - it seems like such a waste now to let all that research just go unused.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jun 2010 10:49:36
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2010 :  02:53:44  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
now thats mind blowing Markus, yes dragging scattered & obscure lore into daylight takes a very...very long time.....superb job.....and no I don't mind. What you have done enhances what we already know tenfold.

Edited by - Snowblood on 10 Jun 2010 11:31:52
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2010 :  07:01:38  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice Job Snowblood! I'm glad to see this!

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2010 :  13:32:34  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[b]Over the course of untold centuries large groups of them wandered both west and south, but the southern group ran afoul of the Muhjari (the forerunner of both the Imaskari and Durpari peoples, which migrated up throught the Utter east from Zakhara).

Where does it say that the Muhjari are the forerunners?

I don't know cause I always ignored Semphar, another redundant arabic-style culture ...

quote:
This friction with the early Raurinease civilization forced most of the migrating Kalmyk (people who later became known as 'Ruamather' or 'Rashemi' stock) even further west, displacing earlier Kalmyk settlers in those regions. The last group to migrate in that direction were the Narfelli, who displaced the Gur tribes, who had lost some of their natural horsemanship as they developed from a hunter-gatherer group to a more sedentary state. The Gur in turn continued west, unable to deal with their barbaric brethren (and in truth, so many centuries had past they were unaware of the connection), and wound up in, and around, the fertile Anauroch basin. Parts of this early pre-Netherease Gur civilization can be seen in the tribes of the Ride (Eraka), the Tunlanders (Mir), and even a small group of originals living in the Iceroot Forest of The Hordelands.

Thanks for the info about the Gur, I need it for my Varisians in the Realms (adapting Paizo's Rise of the Runelords in the Heartlands).

If the Kalmyk are Finnish/Rus and predecessors of Raumathari/Rashemi how come the Rashemi have curled black hair and dusky skin? Anyways I always thought ''Ra'' and ''Shem'' are too ''good'' historical words not to use.

Aren't the Mir from the south, around the Forest of Mir/Keltormir, mentioned in -14 000 DR and the Tunlanders descended from the Angardt?

quote:
When the aboriginal Kara-Turan peoples began to migrate west themselves, they learned both horsemanship from the Gur, and a ferocious way of fighting from the 'new' Kalmyk, eventually becoming a distinct group unto themselves - the Taangan (later taking the name 'Tuigan' from the dominant clan).

The Taangan are first mentioned in -9000 DR, how does that fit?

quote:
The (Hobgoblin) ...

... 'monstrous horsemen' descended on Ra-Khati and Khazari during this period ... and mostly because an oriental-like culture of hobgoblins in the Plain of Horses is just too cool to pass-up.[/qoute]

I thought hobgoblins are fey, the hobgoblin culture up there seems cool, tough it reminds me of the racial issue where people complained that Tolkien based orcs on the eastern people like the Huns.

[quote]I have over 200 canon ethnic groups I had to trace through various migrations and fit it all in with known canon. The human Kalmyk (based loosely on a Russo-Finnish culture) was the SECOND group of early humans to develop a civilization on Toril. They actually learned the rudiments of civilization from an earlier group that dominated them briefly - a group known to Sages only as the 'Pozi People' (no records exist of what they called themselves...perhaps the Elves might know...). That is the group that built many of the truly ancient works in The North, like the Citadel of the Raven. They learned civilization themselves at the feet of the Elves and Dragons, during that period of time when Dragons briefly ruled over the early Elven nations (a brief glimpse of that can be seen in a short story somewhere). They themselves were destroyed when the world was Sundered by the elves, dropping most of their settlements and cities into the sea, and setting human-kind back a good 10,000 years. The only 'pure' group of them still known to exist are the Reghedmen barbarians leaving in the Frozenfar (area around ten Towns), although the Northmen of Rauthym and elsewhere have quite a bit of that blood as well.

200 groups , that is great. So the Ice Hunters were not a part of that civilization?

I always thought the Citadel of the Raven culture is related to the Rengarth and the Netherese, but it's only wishful pure speculation.

I'm interested in this subject cause I needed some historical background on Thassilon and Azlant when adapting Paizo's stuff to the Realms, but more and more it deviates from canon cause I moved Calimshan, the Bedine and Semphar out of Faerun, that did change a lot of things. The Imaskari are sort of a proto-indoeuropean group, starting with Gundavar that is inspired by Gondor and the ''Black Numenoreans'' in the Utter East. Gond was an artificer-deity of Azlant with remnants as Zionil and in Lantan (based this all on a weak link that the Imaskari language is related to Lantanna, from the Dragon Annual, and on his red hair). Azlanti are often described as being red, so I figured one of the survivors would be like the Celts or Talfiric people, saved by druidic bonds with the fey, also somewhat like Howard's Cimmerians. And the polar civilization would be called Thulsa instead of Thassilon (sort of after Thule and guess who ... but I'll stop rambling now.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2010 :  22:50:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Where does it say that the Muhjari are the forerunners?

Parts of the desert of desolation, but more inportantly the Semphar/Durpar connection and terms such as 'Muhjein' and 'Muhjari' are used in The Hordelands setting (check pg.16 1st)

I don't know cause I always ignored Semphar, another redundant arabic-style culture ...

NOT Arabic - Persian. See the Prince of Persia movie to get a feel for Semphar

Thanks for the info about the Gur, I need it for my Varisians in the Realms (adapting Paizo's Rise of the Runelords in the Heartlands).

If the Kalmyk are Finnish/Rus and predecessors of Raumathari/Rashemi how come the Rashemi have curled black hair and dusky skin? Anyways I always thought ''Ra'' and ''Shem'' are too ''good'' historical words not to use.

Ummmm... because the Rashemi/Raumathar people AREN'T Finnish? I said 'loosely based', as in 'their culture'. Physically they are a Cossack-like people, mostly dusky, with a slight oriental look to them (VERY slight). Think 'Conan of Cimmeria' for the barbaric Gur in the Tunlands and still in the northern wastes, and the Kazakhs (early Cossacks?) for the Horse warriors of The Ride and Narfel. Remember, these are broad comparisons - these are NOT those actual ethnic groups!

Aren't the Mir from the south, around the Forest of Mir/Keltormir, mentioned in -14 000 DR and the Tunlanders descended from the Angardt?

NO - the racial name of 'Mir' for the Tunlanders is mentioned in some product having to do with the Zhents, but I unfortunately couldn't find the exact reference yesterday - that was back before I started writing down WHERE I got my info from. I will try to find it. There was a Kingdom of Mir along the northern border of Calimshan many centuries ago, and there still is a forest of Mir - weather there is any connection or not I do not know, and I've never tried to figure one out. Considering that a later portion of the Imperium period had the Shoon Empire right on the doorstep of Cormyr, such a thing is a possibility. It is mentioned (somewhere - forgive me) that the Tunlanders and the people of The Ride are related, and mentioned elsewhere that the people of The Ride are a part of the original ethnic group as the Netherease. The name Eraka for The Ride barbarians comes form Warriors and Priests of the Realms.

IIRC, the Anghardt (sp?) were formed from a Rengarth and Nethrease mixture, as Netheril fell and their bloodline mixed with that of the barbarians of The North (I could be mistaken on that one - my knowledge of those tribes isn't all that great). That means that the Netherease - who were related to the pre-historic Kalmyk, and the Rengarth - who were related to the even-earlier Pozi people, have a very long history together indeed.

The Taangan are first mentioned in -9000 DR, how does that fit?

Since I said that the Kalmyk culture itself was originally dominated by even more advanced human culture, and that culture was the one mentioned in that short story (forget which) and was part of the Empires the DRAGONS made (along with conquered Elves), this bit of history goes back at least 25,000 years! I have a timeline, and everything works - the Copper Demon was the tricky part - IIRC he had to 'vanish' for some 50 yrs after getting free (hence why I have him conquering/bullying/ruling the Hobgoblins at that time), during which time the Narfel/Raumather War was at full-swing. It wasn't until the very end of the war that the Raumathar began to experiment with unearthed (and forbidden) Imaskari technology. I theorize (from reading Frostfell) that their magic was more Bardic/Druidic in nature, but the war caused them to 'lose their way', as it were.

I thought hobgoblins are fey, the hobgoblin culture up there seems cool, tough it reminds me of the racial issue where people complained that Tolkien based orcs on the eastern people like the Huns. Fey?
Most of the artwork - especially the 3e stuff - of Hobgoblins is very reminiscent of oriental culture. I've also come across art of hobgoblins riding flying beasts and Rhinos! This lead me down that path... thinking of them in terms of having a large cross-section of mounted troops. I see them as an eastern hobgoblin culture strongly influenced by the Horsemen fighters around them, along with the encroaching Kara-Turans (which I used to call the 'Lung' peoples, but that is a bit confusing, so I now refer to them as the Haltai - same group, its just that 'Lung' was misnomer by the Imaskari who 1st encountered them.) The Shou were a completely seperate group of interlopers). Also, they had many humans still among their culture - willing (conquered) people and thralls - it was mostly the Hobgoblins that left Chu'ta Te (now Chukei) behind and became the Suren. The humans were okay taking a break from the raiding lifestyle, especially after the defeat of their leader, the Copper Demon, at the hands of Wo Mai (more info on that in The Hordelands and the 2e Book of Artifacts). The humans were the people who eventually became the Chukeins, from whom the novel hero General Batu came.

200 groups , that is great. So the Ice Hunters were not a part of that civilization?

There was a period of time, probably a few thousand years in length, when the northern pole of Toril froze-over (caused by the climactic holocaust the Sundering wreaked upon the world). Since the Pozi were a sea-faring people (and had discovered and settled in many lands far from Faerūn), and their culture was primarily located at the 'top' of the world (which was MUCH warmer back then - one can assume the axial tilt was greatly lessened as a result of the sundering), they were nearly completely destroyed. Some of their ruins and culture are only now being discovered now that the great Glacier is finally receding.

The Ice Hunters were just one group of Kara-Turans that migrated north past the Ama basin into Faerūn when the Northern sea lay frozen. I would hazard to guess they are of mixed-stock now, maybe half Reghedmen (Pozi) blood by now. They, along with the people of the Great Glacier (Ulutiuns) are part of the Traell (The Giant Amongst Us), although various tribes have slightly different amounts of Pozi (Reghedmen/Northmen), Kalmyk (Netherease), and Haltai (aboriginal kara-Turan) blood. Ergo, 'Traell' is more of a cultural monicker (just like the Ice Hunters), rather then the name of a specific ethnic group.

I always thought the Citadel of the Raven culture is related to the Rengarth and the Netherese, but it's only wishful pure speculation.

There may have been a time when the Netherease used that citadel, but it pre-dated them. However, since the two groups you mentioned are related to the earlier groups I postulate - the pre-historic Pozi and Kalmyk peoples - it is indeed related in a very round-about way.

I'm interested in this subject cause I needed some historical background on Thassilon and Azlant when adapting Paizo's stuff to the Realms, but more and more it deviates from canon cause I moved Calimshan, the Bedine and Semphar out of Faerun, that did change a lot of things. The Imaskari are sort of a proto-indoeuropean group, starting with Gundavar that is inspired by Gondor and the ''Black Numenoreans'' in the Utter East. Gond was an artificer-deity of Azlant with remnants as Zionil and in Lantan (based this all on a weak link that the Imaskari language is related to Lantanna, from the Dragon Annual, and on his red hair). Azlanti are often described as being red, so I figured one of the survivors would be like the Celts or Talfiric people, saved by druidic bonds with the fey, also somewhat like Howard's Cimmerians. And the polar civilization would be called Thulsa instead of Thassilon (sort of after Thule and guess who ... but I'll stop rambling now.

MY history of Imaskar has them conquering many peoples and lands, not just on Toril, but on other worlds as well (likening them to the Goa'uld of Stargate). I also have another ethnic group from Earth (mentioned, I think, in one of the 2e religion books) preceding the Mulan peoples, which I dubbed 'the Dathites', who were kidnapped from along the northern Mediterranean (and proved to be most un-willing slaves eventually). I also have about a dozen 'survivor states' (post-Imaskar Imaskaran colonies), including some little-known ones like Tsharoon (Dragon mag), Thommar (Desert of Desolation), and Thazalhar (which The Hordelands boxed set clearly makes out to have been a distinct political entity at one time).

Anyhow, they broke from the original Muhjari people who lived around The Golden Water, and settled in the then-fertile Raurin basin. They were later corrupted after discovering an ANCIENT temple to Aoskar, and after an unfortunate tragedy (they lost an entire city built around the temple) decided forever after to hate all gods. This was well before they even became an Empire. The second biggest turning point in their history was when the Shou arrived, fleeing their own world's catastrophe. Before then the Imaskari Artificers were infatuated with creating gates and exploring new worlds, but the Shou taught them the secrets of their Advanced Golemic Sciences, and thus began a new focus on creating arcane war machines, some of which were given their own awareness (which lead them down another unfortunate road - the summoning and binding of ever-greater 'spirits' to empower their macabre machines).

Nearly all of the above is NON-canon, except where I had to tie it into the very sparse canon we have. Place names are all canon, and the 'Shou Arrival' I believe was made canon by Brian James (although the details surrounding their becoming part of Imaskar were never made known). Although the Shou arrived in the Taan (Hordelands), they were given the lands of the massive Katakoro plateau, where they made their capital at what was to become Khazari. When the shou migrated east and began their take-over of Kara-Tur, their old lands were given to their Spirit-folk subjects and it became known as the Kingdom of Guge (that bit from The Hordelands). Of course, there was an even earlier people living there - a strange, non-human group (the Maviddi) similar to the Spirit Folk in appearance, but they preferred to dwell in massive, dark, anthill-like fortresses.

Hmmm... what group are short and secretive, fey-like with pointed ears, and prefer to live below ground?

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jun 2010 23:13:02
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  09:42:15  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

NOT Arabic - Persian. See the Prince of Persia movie to get a feel for Semphar

I intend to see the movie, until at least then the names like Abu Bakr (Arabic) ruin the feel.

Ummmm... because the Rashemi/Raumathar people AREN'T Finnish? I said 'loosely based', as in 'their culture'. Physically they are a Cossack-like people, mostly dusky, with a slight oriental look to them (VERY slight). Think 'Conan of Cimmeria' for the barbaric Gur in the Tunlands and still in the northern wastes, and the Kazakhs (early Cossacks?) for the Horse warriors of The Ride and Narfel. Remember, these are broad comparisons - these are NOT those actual ethnic groups!

All right I get it now.

NO - the racial name of 'Mir' for the Tunlanders is mentioned in some product having to do with the Zhents, but I unfortunately couldn't find the exact reference yesterday - that was back before I started writing down WHERE I got my info from. I will try to find it. There was a Kingdom of Mir along the northern border of Calimshan many centuries ago, and there still is a forest of Mir - weather there is any connection or not I do not know, and I've never tried to figure one out. Considering that a later portion of the Imperium period had the Shoon Empire right on the doorstep of Cormyr, such a thing is a possibility. It is mentioned (somewhere - forgive me) that the Tunlanders and the people of The Ride are related, and mentioned elsewhere that the people of The Ride are a part of the original ethnic group as the Netherease. The name Eraka for The Ride barbarians comes form Warriors and Priests of the Realms.

I looked, the Mir in Ruins of Zhentil Keep in the Darkhold part (pg. 37), doesn't say much about them except being horsemen and scavengers. I think in LEoF it says that the Tunlanders descend from the Angardt, and the barbarians of the Ride from the Rengarth. The Angardt split off due to different views on magic circa -1300s DR. That name Azuposi might be what I was looking for for Azlant.

Since I said that the Kalmyk culture itself was originally dominated by even more advanced human culture, and that culture was the one mentioned in that short story (forget which) and was part of the Empires the DRAGONS made (along with conquered Elves), this bit of history goes back at least 25,000 years! I have a timeline, and everything works - the Copper Demon was the tricky part - IIRC he had to 'vanish' for some 50 yrs after getting free (hence why I have him conquering/bullying/ruling the Hobgoblins at that time), during which time the Narfel/Raumather War was at full-swing. It wasn't until the very end of the war that the Raumathar began to experiment with unearthed (and forbidden) Imaskari technology. I theorize (from reading Frostfell) that their magic was more Bardic/Druidic in nature, but the war caused them to 'lose their way', as it were.

Yea, the story from Realms of Elves. As for bardic/druidic magic I speculated it had to do something with celtic-like (or proto) people in the Realms. There's stone circles and menhirs scattered everywhere and Silvanus, Oghma, Herne. What do you think happened to the ancient humans of Yuir, they seem to be of that type, did they vanish or migrate?

Fey?
Most of the artwork - especially the 3e stuff - of Hobgoblins is very reminiscent of oriental culture. I've also come across art of hobgoblins riding flying beasts and Rhinos! This lead me down that path... thinking of them in terms of having a large cross-section of mounted troops. I see them as an eastern hobgoblin culture strongly influenced by the Horsemen fighters around them, along with the encroaching Kara-Turans (which I used to call the 'Lung' peoples, but that is a bit confusing, so I now refer to them as the Haltai - same group, its just that 'Lung' was misnomer by the Imaskari who 1st encountered them.) The Shou were a completely seperate group of interlopers). Also, they had many humans still among their culture - willing (conquered) people and thralls - it was mostly the Hobgoblins that left Chu'ta Te (now Chukei) behind and became the Suren. The humans were okay taking a break from the raiding lifestyle, especially after the defeat of their leader, the Copper Demon, at the hands of Wo Mai (more info on that in The Hordelands and the 2e Book of Artifacts). The humans were the people who eventually became the Chukeins, from whom the novel hero General Batu came.

Ah, the Book of Artifacts that's one source I'd never look. I see that they appear ''easterly'', I meant about their earlier origins, from mythology they are related to fey (unseelie, sort of anti-fey). Remember when you speculated that Ladinion (original fey realm) was in the east, what if the Sundering ''bound'' Faerie to Toril, not just Evermeet, in other areas as well. Like when the dwarves appeared in the Yehimals at that time, after being shunned for the Black Diamond tragedy. Also there's few connections with Sossrim Kalmyks now that is revealed that Auril is the Queen of Air and Darkness.

There was a period of time, probably a few thousand years in length, when the northern pole of Toril froze-over (caused by the climactic holocaust the Sundering wreaked upon the world). Since the Pozi were a sea-faring people (and had discovered and settled in many lands far from Faerūn), and their culture was primarily located at the 'top' of the world (which was MUCH warmer back then - one can assume the axial tilt was greatly lessened as a result of the sundering), they were nearly completely destroyed. Some of their ruins and culture are only now being discovered now that the great Glacier is finally receding.

That is a cool story, I need to look into these Haltai, they seem interesting.

quote:
MY history of Imaskar has them conquering many peoples and lands, not just on Toril, but on other worlds as well (likening them to the Goa'uld of Stargate). I also have another ethnic group from Earth (mentioned, I think, in one of the 2e religion books) preceding the Mulan peoples, which I dubbed 'the Dathites', who were kidnapped from along the northern Mediterranean (and proved to be most un-willing slaves eventually). I also have about a dozen 'survivor states' (post-Imaskar Imaskaran colonies), including some little-known ones like Tsharoon (Dragon mag), Thommar (Desert of Desolation), and Thazalhar (which The Hordelands boxed set clearly makes out to have been a distinct political entity at one time).

That's how I picture them too, with a lot of other-crystal sphere and planar colonies, even discovering the process of Stargate-like ascension into pure energy forms. ''The Dathites'' that would be Jhaamdath? Thsharoon is from the Athalantar article, wonder about the name ''Athalantar'', they were Talfiric I think.

quote:
Anyhow, they broke from the original Muhjari people who lived around The Golden Water, and settled in the then-fertile Raurin basin. They were later corrupted after discovering an ANCIENT temple to Aoskar, and after an unfortunate tragedy (they lost an entire city built around the temple) decided forever after to hate all gods. This was well before they even became an Empire. The second biggest turning point in their history was when the Shou arrived, fleeing their own world's catastrophe. Before then the Imaskari Artificers were infatuated with creating gates and exploring new worlds, but the Shou taught them the secrets of their Advanced Golemic Sciences, and thus began a new focus on creating arcane war machines, some of which were given their own awareness (which lead them down another unfortunate road - the summoning and binding of ever-greater 'spirits' to empower their macabre machines).

That is a great idea of binding planar spirits into prime-mortal vessels. What if Imaskari kidnapped the Jews for the golem secrets. I know the Shou had clay golem soldiers. No matter it's non-canon Aoskar has to have a connection them. Personally I imagined him as an artificial god-construct. Also Neth, the Demiplane that Lives, would fit nice with Savras.

[quote]Although the Shou arrived in the Taan (Hordelands), they were given the lands of the massive Katakoro plateau, where they made their capital at what was to become Khazari. When the shou migrated east and began their take-over of Kara-Tur, their old lands were given to their Spirit-folk subjects and it became known as the Kingdom of Guge (that bit from The Hordelands). Of course, there was an even earlier people living there - a strange, non-human group (the Maviddi) similar to the Spirit Folk in appearance, but they preferred to dwell in massive, dark, anthill-like fortresses.

Hmmm... what group are short and secretive, fey-like with pointed ears, and prefer to live below ground?

What drow, surely not shadow elves . A spiritfolk realm , even more interesting than the genasi.

Snowblood, sorry about the derailment, your awesome work inspires even more mysteries about Imaskar, also I particularly liked the book about Orishaar.

Edited by - Quale on 11 Jun 2010 09:44:12
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  13:03:51  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey this just all adds to the Imaskari debate.....afterall I just found this dusty old tome whilst wandering across the Raurin.....all I've done is translate it from Roushoum into common, there were great chunks damaged by eons buried under the sand but Ive done my best.....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000