Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Translating names and places
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  02:43:59  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I translate most of the names of people and places. But thinking about it now, it seems kinda silly and it often doesn't sound as "cool" in dutch as it does in english. While on the other hand it sounds a bit weird using english names while speaking dutch.

I was wondering how other scribes think about this.

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  03:03:42  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the same way. I translate everything.
English to portuguese in my case.
Waterdeep - Águas Profundas
Shadowdale - Vale das Sombras
With to much use, doesn't sound weird anymore.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  04:14:09  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't you feel like with translation you lose the sense and meaning of word. Like it does not sound right.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  07:49:26  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyranthraxus, I feel your pain - I'm a native Dutch (well, Flemish) speaker myself, and in ways, we're kind of lucky - Waterdeep / Waterdiep - not all that different. Shadowdale - Schaduwdaal, and so on. One thing I do, though is not just "translate" certain names, but "reimagine" them because the literal translation sounds kind of corny. Only problem - I have not played in Flemish in five or six years, and no example springs to mind...
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  15:13:56  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IngoDjan

I think the same way. I translate everything.
English to portuguese in my case.
Waterdeep - Águas Profundas
Shadowdale - Vale das Sombras
With to much use, doesn't sound weird anymore.

True, you get used to it after a while.

quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Don't you feel like with translation you lose the sense and meaning of word. Like it does not sound right.

Well, that's the problem that's bugging me. But as Thaumarath points out, you have to "reimagine", or "reinvent" the name to give it the same meaning it has in english and not make it sound stupid.

quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

Tyranthraxus, I feel your pain - I'm a native Dutch (well, Flemish) speaker myself, and in ways, we're kind of lucky - Waterdeep / Waterdiep - not all that different. Shadowdale - Schaduwdaal, and so on. One thing I do, though is not just "translate" certain names, but "reimagine" them because the literal translation sounds kind of corny. Only problem - I have not played in Flemish in five or six years, and no example springs to mind...

You're right, thankfully it's easy most of the time translating names to dutch (due to similarities), but can be quite a challenge sometimes.
I also found a dutch estymology of the Realms on the internet a few years ago (I don't remember where), and it's quite helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  15:13:57  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would help if authors and designers alike would stick to fantasy names and don't throw in real world stuff or utterly silly telling names (some tough wild elven barbarian warrior going by the name "Twig", or gnomes or dwarves with steretypically dumb names)). If they need "telling names", do it Native American style and call them Tatanka-yotanka (i.e. not Sitting Bull ... i.e. use their native tongue). On the other hand, some English names need not to be translated, since a translation or a meaning was not exactly intended, even if the order of the letter of the words would suggest one to a non-native speaker.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 28 May 2010 15:15:17
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  15:43:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno about the name losing meaning when translated. If for instance you're speaking French, won't "Les Marches Argent" have more meaning than "the Silver Marches"?

The only problem would be what Zanan mentioned, names that are silly in English (like "Twig") won't be as silly if left like that. But no-one says you have to be consistent. Still, my default rule-of-thumb would be that if a book (novel, or sourcebook doesn't matter) is written with English (or another language) as a replacement for another language (whether it be Common, Galactic Esperanto, or Gaelic), translate everything that's in English to your own language.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  09:39:09  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep it English, some of the translations would sound so silly that it would shatter all the remaining seriousness we have in our games.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  10:07:37  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I generally just use the English terms, Norwegian translations usually ends up sounding a bit strange. Especially as the "of" preposition in place names is not used. And you either end up with a "high style" that has not been used since mid-19th century poetry or names that comes out as funny. Fallen Stars Sea, Thunder Tops, it just doesn't sound right. Others end up sounding like terms from children's stories or faery tales, giving a far different feel to the whole world. I did try it once, but combined with me using a Basic Roleplaying system instead of Ad&d, it ended up with a world that had little to do with the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  11:01:33  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use translation for most of the names.
Waterdeep - Eauprofonde
Silver Marches - Marches d'Argent
Zhentil Keep - Château-Zhentil
That's more meaningful for everyone.

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  16:26:33  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never come across this problem, being as I'm from the US, but I can see how it might get confusing forthose who speak multiple langauges. just imagine how hard it must be to translate to Japanese!!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  22:05:50  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I generally just use the English terms, Norwegian translations usually ends up sounding a bit strange. Especially as the "of" preposition in place names is not used. And you either end up with a "high style" that has not been used since mid-19th century poetry or names that comes out as funny. Fallen Stars Sea, Thunder Tops, it just doesn't sound right. Others end up sounding like terms from children's stories or faery tales, giving a far different feel to the whole world. I did try it once, but combined with me using a Basic Roleplaying system instead of Ad&d, it ended up with a world that had little to do with the Realms.

I concur. I had a DM once who insisted on translating almost everything to Norwegian. Did not work out for me. I prefer the original language, at least if i can understand said language. I suspect a system written in portugese or japanese might be a tough sell for me
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  21:14:34  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

I use translation for most of the names.
Waterdeep - Eauprofonde
Silver Marches - Marches d'Argent
Zhentil Keep - Château-Zhentil
That's more meaningful for everyone.

Chateau Zhentil would be one bad-a$$ wine

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  17:12:59  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL!!! Too funny...

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  19:56:57  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I translate the names when it's easy, the Western Heartlands and Evermeet always being the most difficult, or the Vilhon Reach and the North.

Waterdeep - Dubokavoda
Silver Marches - Srebrene Marke (confuses with the old German currency)
Zhentil Keep - Zentilova Kula
Shadow Dale - Sjenoviti Dol

z455t

Edited by - Kno on 03 Jun 2010 19:59:48
Go to Top of Page

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2010 :  09:42:48  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most often translations sound at least wierd to me, but translating the names of Realms places into German works out quite well I think. The names sound natural and stay true to the original meaning.

Waterdeep - Tiefwasser
Zhentil Keep - (Die) Zentilfeste (no 'h'! :P)
Shadowdale - Schattental
Silver Marches - Silbermarschen (only problem here is, that 'marches' is a term I've never actually seen outside the context of the Forgotten Realms in either language...)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2010 :  09:57:34  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

I concur. I had a DM once who insisted on translating almost everything to Norwegian. Did not work out for me. I prefer the original language, at least if i can understand said language. I suspect a system written in portugese or japanese might be a tough sell for me

I hope he left out the farmer Knulan Besmar of Shadowdale. What did he do with Bane (pronounced as Norwegian for bone or leg) by the way? The image of a skeletal Death-god is hard to shake.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2010 :  10:02:10  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calmar
Silver Marches - Silbermarschen (only problem here is, that 'marches' is a term I've never actually seen outside the context of the Forgotten Realms in either language...)

The term was used for buffer regions of established empires. Examples are the Carolingian empire with The Spanish March and the Breton March. The term Markgraf an Marquis are examples of titles that originated with this term.

The name of the Silver Marches fits badly. Luruar was a better name, but got dropped with 3ed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000