Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Chessenta Backdrop Article (DDI)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  05:53:34  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Looks like BR.J's Chessenta DDI Article dropped a Day early...

Looks good.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Bane of the Harpers
Seeker

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  06:17:21  Show Profile Send Bane of the Harpers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its actually awesome!!! It includes updates on important characters and some gods also! :P

Congratulations Brian, you are probably, to my humble opinion, the best writer for FR stuff! ;)
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  18:08:32  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, it is awesome. I really hope they can keep producing articles of this quality!

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  18:27:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bane of the Harpers

Its actually awesome!!! It includes updates on important characters and some gods also! :P

Congratulations Brian, you are probably, to my humble opinion, the best writer for FR stuff! ;)

Which characters and what gods, for those of us that don't subscribe?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  19:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tchazzar returns as a god, with Entropy a new Primordial (sort of) and Sebakar, the love child of Set and and an Archfey of swamps. It also discusses the traditions and worship of the old Untheric gods adopted by Faerunian deities in the area. As for NPCs, the Karanok bloodline still runs strong.

Also, goddamn scrags riding plesiasaurs!

EDIT: regarding Entropy, it used to be trapped in the form of a Sphere of Annihilation as decreed by Ao, and it existed as such on Toril as a threat to hang over the heads of the gods to make them behave. After Cyric sent everything down the john and caused the Spellplague, Ao's let it off the leash...

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html

Edited by - Cleric Generic on 19 May 2010 19:52:16
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  17:37:05  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

EDIT: regarding Entropy, it used to be trapped in the form of a Sphere of Annihilation as decreed by Ao, and it existed as such on Toril as a threat to hang over the heads of the gods to make them behave. After Cyric sent everything down the john and caused the Spellplague, Ao's let it off the leash...

Yet another retcon, eh? Ugh...putting together a proper FR Encyclopedia would now be like trying to put together a good Star Wars Encyclopedia.

There was much argument even between FR designers (Sean Reynolds being one of them) as to the origin of Entropy and whether or not it was truly a sentient deity.

The matter was finally settled on Entropy being non-sentient and completely controlled by Tiamat (though I think at an earlier point it was said Shar was behind the masquerade, then it was changed to Tiamat).

So does it say anything about Tiamat's role with Entropy? Or is it just the designers jamming in yet another Primordial into FR Lore?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  17:52:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

quote:

Yet another retcon, eh? Ugh...putting together a proper FR Encyclopedia would now be like trying to put together a good Star Wars Encyclopedia.

There was much argument even between FR designers (Sean Reynolds being one of them) as to the origin of Entropy and whether or not it was truly a sentient deity.

The matter was finally settled on Entropy being non-sentient and completely controlled by Tiamat (though I think at an earlier point it was said Shar was behind the masquerade, then it was changed to Tiamat).

So does it say anything about Tiamat's role with Entropy? Or is it just the designers jamming in yet another Primordial into FR Lore?

I've not been able to read the article (due to my on-going refusal to pay for content I don't want), but I'm willing to give Brian the benefit of the doubt. While some of the current authors/designers seem to be a little less concerned with prior canon than some we've had in the past, I do not count Brian among those ranks. I think he is one who would do his best to stick to existing canon, and to try to reconcile any inconsistencies that may have cropped up.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  17:58:03  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*quickly scans the article*

I don't see anything that contradicts Entropy being mindless, it just sort of sits there ending the world. Tiamat doesn't seem to be mentioned in reference to it though, and it still has cultists. As a general rule, I don't think Primordials (especially brain-dead ones) issue powers to mortal worshippers, so everyone's favourite dragon lady could easily still be the ultimate power.

Would have been handy for that to be addressed, true.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  18:36:53  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Buddy of mine has the article so I read it off his laptop just recently.

Seems to be no mention of Tiamat, but it does state how Entropy has "eluded sages countless times" or something to that effect (don't remember verbatim). By "sages" I am sure the author meant both in the game world and the designers themselves LOL

I forgot this region was heavily influenced by the Spellplague, so most of the landmarks I am unsure of either existing pre or post-Spellplague. I like to peruse these articles and record what pre-Spellplague lore I can muster for my collection of Realmslore.

Now, Sebakar is obviously Sebek, but I have to be unagreeable to his origin. It does say he is the offspring of Set and an archfey of the Feywild, but clearly that isn't the case. He came along with the rest of deities from the world of the Mulan. At least it's assumed he did. Then again, in 4E, I am sure the Feywild "conveniently" exists in their home world, too, so it's not a contradicting origin but a "Points of Light" slip nonetheless.

I am aware of Brian's work, and I do hope the "Points of Light" jamming is more of a "WotC demands it" sort of proposal.
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  18:49:57  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except for the Maw of the God Swallower and the floatified hills, I think the landscape is largely intact. All the city states look familiar as well.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  01:28:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

In pre-4e Realmslore, the sphere of annihilation that the Karanoks worshipped as Entropy was believed to have never truly been a divine being. This fanaticism based on myths and legends ultimately lined up with Tiamat’s goals and she started granting spells in Entropy’s name early in the 1370s.

And then you have the actual divine Entropy as an being from Abeir-Toril’s ancient past, as indicated in both this most recent source and in previous Realmslore.

I do, however, recall Brian once tinkering with the possibility of "how surprised would the Karanoks and the Queen of Dragons herself be if the primordial 'God Swallower' returned to Abeir-Toril one day..." But that was way back in '07.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  15:51:47  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now, Sebakar is obviously Sebek, but I have to be unagreeable to his origin. It does say he is the offspring of Set and an archfey of the Feywild, but clearly that isn't the case. He came along with the rest of deities from the world of the Mulan. At least it's assumed he did. Then again, in 4E, I am sure the Feywild "conveniently" exists in their home world, too, so it's not a contradicting origin but a "Points of Light" slip nonetheless.

I am aware of Brian's work, and I do hope the "Points of Light" jamming is more of a "WotC demands it" sort of proposal.

I disagree with your opinion. Per the article Sebakar is obviously an offspring of an archfey and Set; therefore, not from the same world as the old Mulan pantheon. Also, the world of fairies (Feywild) has been around since 1st edition. So it does conveniently exists on every game world (Greyhawk/Forgotten Realms/Mystara/Birthright/etc..)

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 24 May 2010 17:50:11
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  09:33:05  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That swamp archfey sounds interesting. And who says Faerie does not exist in the Mulan world. Actually many Egyptian deities started during the neolithic or before as shamanic totems (world spirits in 4e terms).

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  12:28:00  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully we'll get a Feywild book, or at least some Archfey DDI articles, in the near future that details some of these characters.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  15:35:22  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far I've used Bastion Press Faeries (combined with a few works of fantasy fiction) for the FR fey, and the Feywild description in 4e Manual of the Planes did not come close to replacing it. We played in the Fens of the Fallon in the Moonshaes and imported the Floating Court and the House on Stilts from that book. My version of Chessenta was a lot more flooded and it had a batrachi voodoo swamp witch that was kind of a social darwinist. As for Entropy, ironically the sphere was a mythallar. This primordial is redundant beside Shar.
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  12:18:40  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The article is superb, just like any other in the backdrop series. The amount of text is really outstanding. I they treated the FRPG like they treat realmslore in these articles, it would be a great product.
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  13:39:19  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know of the Fading Lands in Greyhawk, the Faerie Rings around Celene, but I think that was added in the 2nd edition.

z455t
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000