Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Sorcerer in AD&D second edition...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  22:32:50  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm planning to begin a campaign in AD&D Forgotten realms as a DM(Wizards publish more and more 4th edition staff but I go back from 3.5 to 2nd edition once more )

...One of my players wants to play a Sorcerer because she likes the class from 3.5 edition...Does anyone knows to help me if there were a sorcerer kit in AD&D or something similar to the sorcerer class of 3.5 edition???

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  23:11:51  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think I remember someone asking Mr. Greenwood about this exact matter in his thread from a while back, and he was kind enough to reply. The search function and I don't always get along though, sadly. I'm certain Sage of Wooly will be able to help you, though. They're the best of the best.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  01:59:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. The only bit I can recall off-hand at the moment, is:-
quote:
Re: Sorcerers: you got it right, Adam, they ARE bang-on for how I envisaged a lot of 'maverick' Realms characters (in 2nd Edition I got away with calling them "wild talents").
We know Ed always had sorcerers in the Realms [only they weren’t called that], but never any PCs.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  02:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Sage. I guess one way you could do it though, my friend, would be simply to switch the requisite stat from Intelligence to Charisma, and let it carry all the important information for you that Int. controlls for spellcasting. It's simple, I know, and not as insightful as some could or likely will come up with, but I hope my idea helps. I wish you all the best, my friend.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  08:34:59  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the help joran and sage...

something else now for Sage:....I changed my e-mail in my profile and in my new e-mail i do not take e-mail notice for the topics that i have subscribed. This happens with all my subscriptions??? How can I fix that??

HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  08:43:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

thanks for the help joran and sage...

something else now for Sage:....I changed my e-mail in my profile and in my new e-mail i do not take e-mail notice for the topics that i have subscribed. This happens with all my subscriptions??? How can I fix that??

Using your new email address, you'll likely have to re-subscribe to the scrolls you've subscribed to earlier. That way, Candlekeep will know it now has to send any updates [to scrolls/shelves you've subscribed to] through to your new address.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 May 2010 08:46:07
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  16:03:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look at the BG2 game for info maybe, it uses the 2E rules and it has the Sorcerer class in it, you could check the game manual if you have it should have the appropriate info within.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  16:28:07  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I did it and thank for your proposal..But there is not a table for the spells that gains a sorcerer per level..I think i have to use the table from the 3.5 version...

HE DECAPITATES!!!

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  16:44:21  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might suggest reading Netheril, Arcane Age. The 'Weave Depth, etc' system might be what you're looking for, as it was intended to be the 'on the fly' spellcaster that sorcerers became in 3.x.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  04:48:21  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While the 2E Sorcerer game info is in Baldur's Gate II, there are a few noteworthy points beyond simply the spell progression. Specifically, in contrast to 3E sorcerers, the Sorcerer class in Baldur's Gate has the following differences:

-does not require any ability score minimum* to cast spells
-cannot multi-class, and humans may not dual-class into or out of the sorcerer class in BGII (though either both or at least the latter of the two is likely due to the limits of game engine).
-no sorcerer kits in BGII
-cannot use a higher level spell slot to cast a lower level spell.
-does not gain bonus spells for high ability scores.
-continue to gain spells known after 20th level, with up to 5 known spells of each spell level at 40th (level 31 maximum in BGII)
-same weapon proficiency options as the mage (i.e. no longspears)
-cannot trade out spells when gaining a certain level, selections are made in stone.

That is about all I can think of right now, though I am sure there are other differences as well.

In addition, because it is a Baldur's Gate class we do not know for certain what non-weapon proficiency options you could take as a "2E" sorcerer, though it would likely still come from the general and mage categories. Likewise, other 2E player options such as kits, high level abilities, skills & powers, etc should be shared/modeled from those of the mage unless you really want to get into detail with supplementary info.

Also, the Sorcerer spells known table and spells per day table are in the Throne of Bhaal manual, up to level 40.

* Spells and Ability Scores: Note that in BGII the success of some spells--like Wish--are determined by your WIS (and possibly INT). In addition, I believe if your INT score is below 9 you will not be able to use spell scrolls, which is essential (and largely elminates the advantage of the Mage class assuming you do not venture with Nahlia/Imoem/Edwin/Jan/Aerie/etc).

Edited by - The Simbul on 20 May 2010 04:50:41
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  08:11:30  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Knight of the Gate but i have already looked on the Weave Depth and it's quite different from sorcerer ...

Thanks Simbul your info is very helpful....

HE DECAPITATES!!!

Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  22:47:38  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bardobarbaros, check out this thread on Dragonsfoot my friend. Hopefully it will be something close to what you are looking for, if not maybe you can at least draw some inspiration from the ideas presented.

http://www.dragonsfoot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42893&sid=3d6a4f7a052822ff9b6d7197e15c1d5a
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  08:16:37  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, since I can't go to that link, and I'd like some imput from the helpful minds here. what about if you used something similar to the way magic was handled in the Magic of Netheral box set? not exactly the same, but something using that basic idea?

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  17:17:13  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would look at the Sorcerer class in the BG2:Throne of Bhaal manual. They did a pretty good job of back-porting the class from 3e to 2e.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  19:21:40  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't find anything I can access, so far, save a quick pro/con break down.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  22:25:06  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a pro/con breakdown for playing a 2e sorcerer in BG2:SoA and BG2:ToB. You may be able to reconstruct the class from that. Just a suggestion. Though it would definitely help if you had the game(s) as well. You can pick both of them up for $7 right now on GOG.com. Normally they cost $10.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  00:03:46  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want to sound rude, but why buy a game that might disability would never allow me to play? And I don't know anybody that I could give it to as a gift. Thanks though, really, here's what I did come up with though.

I have here two different write ups, let me know what you folks think, one is mine, and one is a friends.
Proficiencies: Weapon and Non Weapon are as per Rogues: 2 initial WP and 1 additional at levels divisible by 4, 3 initial NWP and 1 more when level is divisable by 4.

NWP outside the general or wizard group cost double
WP list: Dagger, Dart, Quarterstaff, Spear, Sling, Crossbow (light or Heavy), Javelin, Morning Star, Mace (Footman's or Horseman's), Club, Knife

THACO: as wizard
Saves: as wizard
HD/XP/Level: as wizard

Attribute requirements: int 9+, charisma 13+. 10% bonus to experiance earned if both int and chr are 16+

Sorcerers may cast any spell they know, up to the number of spells per level given on the chart. They need not, indeed cannot, memorise or use other spells than these. Scrolls or other items can be used, provided they are usable by MU or the character meets other requirements, such as casting read magic.

Sorcerer Spell Progression
Sorcerer-------------------Spell Level
-Level ----------1---2---3---4---5---6---7---8---9
1-----------------3
2-----------------4
3-----------------5
4-----------------5---2
5-----------------6---3
6-----------------6---4---2
7-----------------6---5---3
8-----------------6---6---4---2
9-----------------6---6---5---3
10----------------6---6---6---4---2
11----------------6---6---6---5---3
12----------------6---6---6---6---4
13----------------7---7---7---6---5---2
14----------------7---7---7---6---6---3
15----------------7---7---7---7---7---4---2
16----------------7---7---7---7---7---5---3
17----------------7---7---7---7---7---6---4---2
18----------------7---7---7---7---7---6---5---3
19----------------7---7---7---7---7---6---6---4---2
20----------------7---7---7---7---7---6---6---5---3

Yes this is more spells/day than even a specialty mage. However, they are limited as to how many spells they know..as per the following chart

Sorcerer Spells Known Progression
Sorcerer----------Spell level
-Level----------1---2---3---4---5---6---7---8---9
1---------------2
2---------------2
3---------------3
4---------------3---1
5---------------4---2
6---------------4---2---1
7---------------5---3---2
8---------------5---3---2---1
9---------------5---4---3---2
10--------------5---4---3---2---1
11--------------5---5---4---3---2
12--------------6---5---4---3---2
13--------------6---5---4---4---3---1
14--------------6---5---4---4---3---2
15--------------6---5---5---4---4---2---1
16--------------6---6---5---4---4---3---2
17--------------6---6---5---5---4---3---2---1
18--------------6---6---5---5---4---3---3---2
19--------------6---6---5---5---5---4---3---2---1
20--------------6---6---6---5---5---4---3---3---2

Possible Sorcerer type II. This format embraces the concept that at one point it was impossible to make a distinction between Sorcerers and wizards. Moreover, the point system for spell use, ideologically works well with the concept that sorcerers are obtaining the ability to use magic by other forms than a spell book.

Proficiencies: Weapon and Non Weapon are as per Rogues: 2 initial WP and 1 additional at levels divisible by 4, 3 initial NWP and 1 more when level is divisable by 4.

NWP outside the general or wizard group cost double
WP list: Dagger, Dart, Quarterstaff, Spear, Sling, Crossbow (light or Heavy), Javelin, Morning Star, Mace (Footman's or Horseman's), Club, Knife

THACO: as wizard
Saves: as wizard
HD/XP/Level: as wizard

Attribute requirements: int 9+, charisma 13+. 10% bonus to experiance earned if both int and chr are 16+

Sorcerer Level Arcanist Weave Access Max spell level
1st 1 1st
2nd 2 1st
3rd 4 2nd
4th 7 2nd
5th 11 3rd
6th 13 3rd
7th 15 4th
8th 17 4th
9th 19 5th
10th 22 5th
11th 25 5th
12th 27 6th
13th 30 6th
14th 32 7th
15th 35 7th
16 37 8
17 40 8
18 42 9
19 45 9
20 47 10

The sorcerers Cha modifer determines how many spells he/she gains when a new level is obtained, the second column determines the number of points he/she has to use on casting, and the third is probably self-explanatory. I’d like to know what you all think, and thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  05:17:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

I don't want to sound rude, but why buy a game that might disability would never allow me to play? And I don't know anybody that I could give it to as a gift. Thanks though, really, here's what I did come up with though.

I'm guessing friend Hawkins had forgotten about your blindness, and did not mean to give offense. With the anonymity of the internet, it can be easy to forget just how different we all are from each other.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  12:57:33  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense was made. I probably should have phrased my response differently, I am afraid I can be a bit blunt at times. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not so much. And I just realized there are some errors in my calculations for the last possible templet.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  16:54:23  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there were magical wild talents in "Volo's Guide to All Things Magical". Of non-Vancian casters, also spelldancers/spellsingers in "Wizards & Rogues of the Realms".
There's no good model for sorcerers, but then, they aren't well defined to begin with.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000