Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Project Isle...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  16:19:25  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gargun aka Feral Gargun.

They're the neanderthals of the Goliath family tree, a minor note in the Races of Stone book.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  20:11:39  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also like Darkmeer's Locathah idea, now that I've seen it, and I see Darkmeer has already provided the info on Garguns.

Rob: Did you email Tyranthraxus re: Osse mountains? Or are we satisfied with what we have in terms of placement? Your call; I'm very impressed with the map at this point.

Tyranthraxus: re: Aurune: I'd forgotten to put the Arctic dwarves in there; yes, I'd planned to include them from the beginning. I'm probably leaving snow elves out, though; those northern islands don't have much in the way of trees, as I envision them; mostly bare, rocky terrain and mountains. What trees there were have been turned into longships by the Northmen, who are now building ships from their northern Anchorome colonies due to a lack of wood on the islands. Unlike the RW Norse in Vinland, the Anchorome Northmen are well established enough on the mainland that they're not getting pushed out any time soon, but nor are they making a push to expand and conquer the whole continent, either. More info as I get the details polished up...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 May 2010 20:19:00
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  20:16:51  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

A dragon-ruled realm, how original.

Actually, as mentioned by Cleric Generic, I don't see the land as "ruled" by Inferno, as much as "policed" by him. His main lair is in the North of Faerun, IIRC, and he simply uses the Osse plateau as a hunting ground; he has long since "educated" the other intelligent races to stay off the plateau, and by this point they've all learned to comply. I believe this is at least based on canon, as well; the entry for Inferno in "Power of Faerun" mentions something about the gate but not any details about where it leads geographically. So no, it's not all that original... but it's also canon, at least in concept, so don't blame us for the lack of originality.

Besides, in my Realms the Spellplague hasn't happened, so the only real dragon-ruled realm is Myrmidune (the island west of Anchorome); I have placed Laerakond in my un-Plagued Realms, but I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet, and even there, it's not like the entire landmass is ruled by dragons. Overall, I think we've seen more originality in the material produced for the Realms here at Candlekeep than in a lot of what was shoehorned into the Realms by TSR; I'm thinking here of Unther, Mulhorand, Maztica, Zakhara, the Hordelands, and Kara-Tur... the first three of which no longer exist as such in my Realms. Unther and Mulhorand are now part of Thay, and Maztica's people were wiped out by plague-level pathogens carried by the settlers from Amn. Katashaka is an African-derivative, if you go with Nyambe as the described setting as recommended, but I have plans involving the sarrukh for that region...

So I'd like to think that I'm making my Realms less derivative than what's been published over the years. I'd love to have more information from Ed about what was in his Realms before TSR's changes, but I think a lot of that is still NDA'd... why, I'm not sure.

Rob: on the forests (I'd forgotten about the equatorial geography there; and ditto for more distinctive swampland.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 May 2010 20:34:19
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  20:43:39  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might be an idea to come up with a novel reason for why Faerun's favourite uber-dragon has chosen this particular corner of the material plane; what's there that so interests one of if not the most nasty pieces of non-deity work in the realms?

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  21:00:45  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The big plateau full of large herd animals; easy food that Inferno doesn't have to be exposed to dragon hunters trying to make a name for themselves just to get a decent meal from.

That's actually canon, IIRC... can anyone else identify the source? I believe it's Power of Faerun...

Edited by - Jakk on 18 May 2010 21:02:12
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  21:07:12  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkmeer

Chiming in to say wonderful work Rob, and thank you Patrakis for your wonderful work.

<snip; questions answered>

I'll start writing up something for the desert to the south and the "warring jungles" to the north this week, so that we have "proper" names for them. Anything in particular that we want to limit? Are we limiting tech to approximate bronze age, or can I go as far as early iron age? Just making sure as I get this all set.

EDIT:
Other thoughts, bearing on the swamp to the northwest:
What about Locathah that have been driven inland to survive against the Empire of Tides (sauhaugin, I'm assuming)? Not all locathah need be salt-dwellers... I'm thinking about the Florida wetlands, and Were-crocodiles and Ophidians may fit well here, again implying Sarrukh influence.

Also, the short mountain range east of the Tolyiwandi mountains in the rough shape of the number three could fit as the home for the Niomus and their "courier" services. Heck, the Tolyiwandi mountains themselves could be their ancestral homeland, having been driven out by some other menace.
/d

I'm thinking Bronze Age tech for the humans, and probably the elves too; Iron Age for the dwarves. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  21:09:43  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hacked us up an Oslander Placename Generator:
http://ohthehugemanatee.net/word-o-matic/1613/

It uses Markov Chains and a dataset of about 600 or so Australian Aboriginal words to generate new random words. When we get around to naming all of the towns, cities, forests, rivers, whatnot it might be helpful to have a generator.

I'll try to get another WIP of the map up tonight. I plan to enlarge some of the mountain ranges, add more details (smaller forests, islands, more variation in the terrain, hills, etc.), and add a scale bar. In the meantime whatsay we start talking about dividing up the continent into smaller pieces that individuals here can develop?

-Rob

Visit Sorol today: http://sorol.wikispaces.com
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  21:13:54  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

The big plateau full of large herd animals; easy food that Inferno doesn't have to be exposed to dragon hunters trying to make a name for themselves just to get a decent meal from.

*snip*

hahaha! a kebab stand the size of eastern Faerun!

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  03:18:44  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Osse map WIP#3 is ready:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7740/ossewip3.jpg

Not a whole lot of changes. I've moved a few of the racial homelands around, modified the mountains and made the hills look better, and I added the small forested hills on the Wugulu Plains that were discussed by Crazedventurer here:
quote:
large flat rolling savanna land with 'islands' of small tree covered hillocks - each one controlled and owned by one tribe - all islands are safe and are never attacked. Fighting occurs only on the plains

There's a few more changes here and there, and I've added a bunch of "notes" to the map. There's also a scale bar now.

If I could be so bold, I think we can call the geography set for now. As people fill in the lore for particular regions, we can easily add/remove/change features, but I think the general outline could be called finished.

Now, how should we proceed with fleshing out the individual regions?

-Rob

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  05:42:14  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'm with you on the geography, Rob; the only concern I have remaining (and it's admittedly a small one) is the geographical separation between the Bronze Age and Stone Age humans in the northeast; are we taking the river north of the Mantha Plains and the lakes thereon to be that boundary? If so, the river should be fast and rough enough to prevent at least trading vessels from crossing back and forth... and that, I suppose, is something to come with the fleshing out.

Oh, and in case I didn't mention it before... I love Lake Biruu'burundi! I think the "Crater Lake" concept was something that was mentioned in the WotC threads I quoted earlier in this scroll. The Wenwolok Canyons are cool too!

One more thing I just noticed... the forest and mountains to the southwest are conspicuously empty... I'll see what I can come up with, but if anyone else has ideas, I'm open to suggestions...

I've had my days off hijacked by RL; I'm moving at the end of the month, and today and tomorrow are getting taken up with looking for a new place (hopefully finished that search today) and finding things I need for the new place. I'll be in touch as circumstances permit.

Edited by - Jakk on 19 May 2010 05:42:53
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  06:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which culture does everyone want to work on is the biggest question, Rob.

I'm all for helping with cultural interactions, as well as defining a "kingdom" or three. Right now, I'm most interested in the Sktak and Sendasti in the desert to the south, as well as the Desert Elves. Desert elves being foragers, and Sendasti being raiders, with the Sktak being the only true "kingdom" in the desert seems the way to go to me, but what does everyone else think?

But, then again, the Niomus, perhaps an enlightened culture, in the middle of the barbarian plains having been run out of their ancestral homes by the Feral Garguns has promise. Their status as 'honorable couriers' may give them some measure of diplomatic immunity in the barbarian tribes, although some may hunt them for their wings in a misguided attempt to conquer the skies.

And yet again, freshwater/saltwater Locathah running from the sauhaugin kingdoms... I've got to work more with this one, this one has a lot of promise, and makes for a very interesting encounter, I think. Perhaps the Locathah are both building an army to take the kingdom as well as hiding from the peering eyes of their enemies where they are.

Honestly, the Dream Dwarves, Goliaths, and Aeree (sp) are the ones I have the least interest in, seconded by the bronze age humans (I really think someone could get away with an "Osse-style" early roman legion or greek-style hoplite if we really wanted to, we could even mimic some of the Zulu stuff I've seen before). The stone age humans may be trading with the Dream Dwarves for some better equipment, but the Dream Dwarves are hoarding things to prevent an imbalance of power, so mostly just spears and such... Trying to maintain some level of stone age, with perhaps an iron spear or two per tribe?

Initial thoughts and or critiques welcome.

What region do you guys want me to work on?

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  21:57:04  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darkmeer, I'm good with your preferences; my leanings are toward the Batrachi ruins and the Aearee first, followed by the goliaths and garguns, and thirdly any of the sahuagin, dream dwarves, and whisper gnomes (in no particular order).

Edit: The thri-kreen also interest me; they were always my fave Dark Sun race, and I have some interesting ideas for them.

Order of preference:
1) Batrachi ruins, Aearee (I think the Creator races should be handled together, but don't ask me why); I have some cool ideas for the ruins.
2) Thri-kreen and sahuagin; I have some nefarious ideas for the sahuagin too.
3) Goliaths and garguns.
4) Dream dwarves and whisper gnomes.

I have a few thoughts on the elves and halflings as well, and if anyone has any suggestions for any of the above races, I'm wide open for contributions; either post your thoughts in this scroll or PM me (and anyone else who's interested in the same race/region).

I think this is gonna be great!

Edited by - Jakk on 20 May 2010 03:14:44
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  23:06:40  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good to me. I'd like to work on some of the bronze-age humans in the east of the continent.

-Rob

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  03:31:42  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rob: Regarding those mountains in the far southwest of the main continent: what about volcanoes there too? Given that the island mountains and the range on the other side are both geologically active, it kinda makes sense... and we're talking probably one or two volcanoes every hundred miles in all cases, anyway, except for the occasional cluster. As a point of real-world reference, the Trans-Mexican volcanic belt has six major volcanoes (and probably some minor ones) in its 900-km (550-ish-mile) length. I won't provide any more pointers, because I know you've done this world-creation stuff before.

Edit: I'm envisioning this part of the continent to be much like the West Coast ranges in North America, except possibly more active (in that there are more known active volcanoes, not that any of them have erupted all *that* recently); my thought is that the last major eruption was at least a century ago... which of course means that the region is due for another one soon...

Edited by - Jakk on 20 May 2010 03:48:48
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  03:43:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Follow-up: I'm asking about the volcanoes because I have an idea for more underground denizens here... fire-based races such as azers and salamanders in particular. Due to the increased volcanic activity in the southwest, as subterranean as most of it is, I'm thinking it's an ideal spot for the occasional portal to the Elemental Plane of Fire, providing the perfect point of access to the Material Plane for such creatures. The azers, while far fewer in number than the salamanders, have alliances with the dream dwarves and goliaths of the region, and the salamanders are the primary foe of all three groups, who together can hold the salamanders and other evil fire creatures (?) in check... barely. It's not an active conflict except in occasional flare-ups (pardon the pun), but I didn't want to use the term "cold war" to describe it... for obvious reasons.

Edit: Another thought: Perhaps the salamanders are actively trying to instigate a mega-eruption in the region, and the azers and their allies are working to prevent them... I'll admit to being inspired somewhat by the recent anniversary of the Mount Saint Helens blast.

Also: Given the geological activity surrounding it, I'm thinking that the forest here is probably on the warm side of temperate, but not quite subtropical. Probably something like the Pacific Northwest in the summer during the spring and fall, and a bit warmer in the summer. At any rate, the rains would keep it from getting too warm, I think. Other thoughts on this?

Edited by - Jakk on 20 May 2010 03:51:48
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  05:03:09  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That all sounds wonderful, Jakk.

I'm working on the area surrounding the large lake just south of the northeastern jungles. It is called Lake Panthala, and three main regions surround it. To the west is the Barinyeri Empire, which is ruled by a young god-king who hungers for expansion at the hands of neighboring states. It commands the stone quarries of the region, but only has a handful of copper mines.
To the east of Lake Panthala is Wakulla, which has grown in power by commanding numerous copper mines. Wakulla is a theocracy, dominated by a priestly class which attempts to instill fear and control the population through the use of a secret police force.
South of Lake Panthala is the Avadi Plains. On the Avadi Plains are a number of bronze-age city states, crocodile-infested swamps, and the constant threat of thri-kreen raiders.

-Rob

Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  06:47:45  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started on the Sktak/Sendasti/Desert Elves (and saw the Desert halflings... going to have to do something with them, too).

So far, my outline has the Sktak in the north, along the river that flows between Big Hole Lake and Lake Nagambati (I'm going to name the river). They use the Wenwolok canyons as a purification for water from Big Hole lake, and due to water being incredibly important to their society, this will both be a holy site and a place to get water. They use that to trade with one of the "nations" of the Sendasti (tribes broken into nations, similar to Native Americans)
The sendasti will be nomadic along the entire southern region of the desert, mostly foraging but a couple of tribes being herders and fisherfolk (with the tribes along the southern ocean using ocean reeds and a special blowfish for poisons), with a few tribes to the east focusing on more 'evil' activities such as stealing water, killing horses, necromancy, and summoning evil beings.

What kind of desert elves and halflings are we looking at using? Are we going psionic or are we using a more elemental theme? Once I have them set up, I'll be able to fill out more of my general outline

/d

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  01:07:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been there, done that...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  01:16:35  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Been there, done that...

We know, MT... read the beginning of the scroll... we even have our own link to that thread (and I've quoted you and Dags/LK extensively in my perusal of said thread).

So, MT (and Dagnirion, if you're around)... anything to say about this version so far? Anything you would like to see that we don't have in our version?

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  02:17:25  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkmeer

Started on the Sktak/Sendasti/Desert Elves (and saw the Desert halflings... going to have to do something with them, too).

<snip>

What kind of desert elves and halflings are we looking at using? Are we going psionic or are we using a more elemental theme? Once I have them set up, I'll be able to fill out more of my general outline

/d

Looks good so far, Darkmeer... I personally don't use psionics in any of my games, nor do the other DMs in my group, but they're easy enough to replace with spell-like divination and enchantment abilities, so if you want psionics, I don't have a problem with it. I was thinking the elves and halflings of Athas would make great models to start with, then tweak them a bit to make them more unique and Realmsian. I definitely like the idea (mentioned early on in the scroll, I think) of the elves being as tall as or taller than humans rather than shorter.

Edit: If you have (or can find) a copy, the 2E Dark Sun supplement Elves of Athas (TSR 2423) might be very useful to you. [/edit]

An open aside to Rob here: The reason I'm avoiding working on the humans of the continent is my fondness for punnery. I would have to include a tribe that is Stone-Age-level tech, but has unbreakable taboos against using stone, instead using antler or bone for all tools and weapons. Why? Because their culture has been "ossified". That's why I'm so full of ideas for the non-humans; I'm trying to keep my punnery in check.

Anyway, I'm working on a full write-up for the thri-kreen and their related races (I'm including the thri-trin and tohr-kreen of Athas, with some tweaks; my write-up won't include psionics in the racial statting, but if someone else wants to tackle that aspect of the statting, they're more than welcome to do so after they've seen the base races). The batrachi ruins and the aearee will be next on my list.

Edited by - Jakk on 21 May 2010 04:07:05
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  02:25:32  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HandsomeRob

That all sounds wonderful, Jakk.

I'm working on the area surrounding the large lake just south of the northeastern jungles. It is called Lake Panthala, and three main regions surround it. To the west is the Barinyeri Empire, which is ruled by a young god-king who hungers for expansion at the hands of neighboring states. It commands the stone quarries of the region, but only has a handful of copper mines.
To the east of Lake Panthala is Wakulla, which has grown in power by commanding numerous copper mines. Wakulla is a theocracy, dominated by a priestly class which attempts to instill fear and control the population through the use of a secret police force.
South of Lake Panthala is the Avadi Plains. On the Avadi Plains are a number of bronze-age city states, crocodile-infested swamps, and the constant threat of thri-kreen raiders.

-Rob

A god-king versus a theocracy... You just know something's going to hit the fan there, just because of the resources involved and the attitudes of the respective rulers. (Of course, this is all based on the guess I'm hazarding that said theocracy does not agree with the divinity of said god-king...)

Edit: Do you have an update on the map showing these realms yet?

Edited by - Jakk on 21 May 2010 02:27:30
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  14:20:30  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A god-king versus a theocracy... You just know something's going to hit the fan there, just because of the resources involved and the attitudes of the respective rulers. (Of course, this is all based on the guess I'm hazarding that said theocracy does not agree with the divinity of said god-king...)

Yep...

quote:

Edit: Do you have an update on the map showing these realms yet?

Not yet, but I'll have one soon. I'm much faster at making maps than I am at writing, and I've been writing lately. I'm about halfway through my writeup and I expect to have a bit of time this weekend to concentrate on the writing too.
I think I'll stick to the human cultures of Osse for now - I find them much easier to think about (probably because I'm human). I actually like the bone-culture idea for the northern stone-age humans, but I'll try to write about it without resorting to puns .

-Rob

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  19:19:37  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see an Netherese enclave that survived the Fall here.
One that didn't work toward world power but a keener understanding of the
Weave and all it entails. A real safehold for pure arcane research with
access to all the raw materials they need, maybe deep in a mountain valley
hidden from view except from above. Lush tropical forest type stuff?
They would be strong enough to beat back inferno.

Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  20:13:42  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

That's actually a really cool idea. Care to write it up in detail? I think it could go on the large island off to the southwest.

-Rob

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  20:26:10  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read through all of the great ideas in this topic. All wonderful yet mind-boggling ideas pop into my head now :p

For some reason the Minotaur realm Jakk mentioned caught my eye. I envision a badlands-like scenery with something that looks like a forest of very large fingers, or bluffs if you want, of brownish grey stone sticking out of the ground in some vast canyon, with a backdrop of a huge mountain range to the south.
Maybe the physical border to the realm and dominion of Inferno? Anyway. This vast and intricate piece of badlands could be riddled with caves and settlements of minotaurs and other indigenous races which would compete with the minotaurs over food and water etc. Now, if this is at all interesting to you, what type of governance would the minotaurs have? Would it be a tribal society? An alliance of tribes, or even a more advanced community with regular and friendly relations with eachother?
So little has been covered about minotaur lore that i find myself thinking of them only as lone guardians of long forgotten dungeons and the like.
This should be remedied. That is all.
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  00:06:23  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Do you have an update on the map showing these realms yet?

Here it is:
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7514/lakepanthalamap.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  00:20:12  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

I just read through all of the great ideas in this topic. All wonderful yet mind-boggling ideas pop into my head now :p

For some reason the Minotaur realm Jakk mentioned caught my eye. I envision a badlands-like scenery with something that looks like a forest of very large fingers, or bluffs if you want, of brownish grey stone sticking out of the ground in some vast canyon, with a backdrop of a huge mountain range to the south.
Maybe the physical border to the realm and dominion of Inferno? Anyway. This vast and intricate piece of badlands could be riddled with caves and settlements of minotaurs and other indigenous races which would compete with the minotaurs over food and water etc. Now, if this is at all interesting to you, what type of governance would the minotaurs have? Would it be a tribal society? An alliance of tribes, or even a more advanced community with regular and friendly relations with eachother?
So little has been covered about minotaur lore that i find myself thinking of them only as lone guardians of long forgotten dungeons and the like.
This should be remedied. That is all.

I agree... but with all of the other cool ideas we had for Osse, we kinda ran out of room. I'd like to put the minotaurs on one of the big southern islands between Zakhara and Katashaka; the other big island in that area is Markustay's "Land of Flying Monkeys" (populated by the gamut of D&D ape races, as well as... yes... flying monkeys a la "Wizard of Oz").

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  00:34:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HandsomeRob

quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

That's actually a really cool idea. Care to write it up in detail? I think it could go on the large island off to the southwest.

-Rob

I like it too... I was thinking about that island on my way home from work today, and a Netherese enclave would be great there... I had some other ideas as well... how do unidentified ruins from an unknown civilization dating back to pre-Sundering sound?

Edit: I'm thinking of putting more of the same ruins in the southwest mainland as well... I have some ideas as to whose ruins they are, but I want to do some more research first... and, of course, we could always leave it completely open to DM development as well...

Edited by - Jakk on 22 May 2010 00:42:42
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  00:57:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More thoughts on the Netherese enclave and the unidentified ruins...

If the enclave was a flying city, my thought is that it was up high enough (testing the limits of its air-retention system in the rarefied stratosphere) that Mystra had restored the Weave before it hit the ground, and in a similar manner to Anaura, Asram, and Hlondath, it hit the ground relatively gently... but it landed precisely in a small but deep lake that was just a bit smaller in total volume than the mountaintop itself, which formed a small plateau about 20-50 feet high after coming to rest. The water displacement, of course, drowned or crushed nearby wildlife and flattened nearby trees, but the forest has long since grown back... the animals, of course, still avoid the area in a radius of about half a mile from the enclave site.

As for the ruins... the Netherese have been investigating those found on the island, of course... althen, I'll leave it up to you as to whether or not they know about the mainland ruins.

Edited by - Jakk on 22 May 2010 00:58:11
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  22:56:21  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay I finished my writeup for the Lake Panthala area. Check it out:
http://sorol.wikispaces.com/file/view/Osse.pdf/143944335/Osse.pdf

Things in red still need some work, or I need some help with. If anyone can think up any "Plots and Rumors" for me I'd be grateful. Otherwise, I can easily add to this document as others do writeups themselves.

So I guess, just give it a good edit and let me know if I'm barking up the right tree here. Thanks!

-Rob

EDIT: fixed link

Edited by - HandsomeRob on 22 May 2010 22:59:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page