Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Spellcasting incantations in Baldurīs Gate
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  18:23:40  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met,

I have recently spent hours searching for spellcasting incantations used in Baldurīs Gate I. I have already found incantations from BG II and Icewind Dale but these are different from those which I liked in BG I.
If anbody knows these incantations, please share them. I would like to use them as flavor in my DnD games.

For those who are also interested in formulas used in BG II (and also as example of what I am not searching for) I add them here also:

Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes"

Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth"

Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without"

Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind"

Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare"

Evocation: "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command"

Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth"

Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me"

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  23:13:39  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for posting this. I always loved the spellcasting on those games.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  08:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there! Thanks for posting. But there is a question. I believe that healing necromancy and attacking necromancy are sligthly different on last word. Or it is just intonation? More like Carei.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 16 May 2010 08:12:56
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  10:05:06  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful news! I never could understand it.
AFAIR the same spellcasting sounds are used in IWDII.
'Cure light wounds' spell in BGI and II went something like 'Cura ...'

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  23:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Hi there! Thanks for posting. But there is a question. I believe that healing necromancy and attacking necromancy are sligthly different on last word. Or it is just intonation? More like Carei.

These are actualy based on latin so I am pretty sure its correct.

BUT does anybody know the "original" incantations from Baldurīs Gate I (which are DIFFERENT)? That is what I am looking for within this topic.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  06:35:56  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no doubts that the words were true. But when casting high level necromancy like wail of banshee the incantation is similar but sounds not quite on last word (not Careo). But that's cool that someone got the translation of the chants for BG2. Thanks.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  21:03:38  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so glad I stumbled upon this topic, this is really neat to know what they say for the spells. Instead of trying to figure it out myself.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000