Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Leadership score calculation
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  14:26:49  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I hope you guys can help me out here. I've been trying to boost my leadership score, and in my studies I stumpled across this ogre warlord Sothillis in "Power of Faerūn", pg 42. He's level 17 and has an effective leadership modifier of 52?!? With the feats and all the modifiers I could think of I could only reach 38... Do you guys have any idea how he is able to reach 52?

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  15:22:03  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering that there are modifiers for Great Renown (+2) and Stronghold (+2); it may be that his renown and stronghold are SO good, they have given him a higher modifiers.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  15:35:25  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did apply the bonus from stronghold and great renown, and still only reached 38. I can imagine raising the bonuses from +2 to +4 perhabs, but there is a differnce of 14 between my calculations and the effective leadership mod given in Power of Faerūn. I simply can't see how he can reach 52...
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  16:12:16  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met Nicolai

I had a look at Sothillis this afternoon and noticed that he has the Legendary Leader class at level 5.

I'm not personally familiar with prestige class but it mentions in the Leadership, Influence, and Rank breakdown on the page after his stat block that Sothillis has a commander rating of 7. I would assume that this class and ability has something to do with his high effective leadership score. The Legendary Leader comes from Heroes of Battle, a book I do not possess.

That's just my best guess and it might be nice if someone with more knowledge of this Prestige Class could shed more light on the matter.

I hope this has been of some use?

Farrel
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  16:15:28  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even that have been taken into acount. I have read and re-read his character and all notes, and when everything have been added op it still only amass to 38. So either there is a rule I cant find or dont know about, or its simple just a DM/dedigner ruling; though I doubt that. What am I missing?
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  16:28:49  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is rather puzzling, maybe it's a typo?

The only other thing that I've noticed is that Sothillis does not have the Epic Leadership feat which would allow him to use the advanced table in PoF (p157) instead of just the basic table in the DMG (p106).
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  16:41:07  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You get a HUGE bonus for worshipping Karsus so he probably worhships Karsus

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  17:03:27  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think not! Any new ideas!?
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  17:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does Warlord give for Leadership again?

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  18:20:45  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not sure what you mean by that?
Go to Top of Page

HelldoG
Learned Scribe

101 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  21:49:33  Show Profile  Visit HelldoG's Homepage Send HelldoG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you add the +15 Influence modifier?

Away with powergaming propaganda! | I <3 Powergaming!

Don't feed the trolls. Especially the clever ones.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  22:28:00  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Influence? What, how, where? And no I did not? Where can I read about that?
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  22:39:12  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't think Influence had any effect on a persons Effective Leadership score?

In PoF (p157) it states that it is more to do with social interaction regarding followers within their organisation.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  00:05:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps all the ogre's followers are within his organization...mayhaps they read that as giving him a modifier for followers?

52 sounds really high regardless.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 11 May 2010 00:05:46
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  00:29:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll check my notes when I get home. I think Eric did this chapter and he always provided clear explanations for his draft stats. If WotC editors changed them after the chapter was submitted, I'll let you know.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

HelldoG
Learned Scribe

101 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  01:35:37  Show Profile  Visit HelldoG's Homepage Send HelldoG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Influence Modifier is added to the effective Leadership Score. Page 154 of PoF.
And the NPC's in PoF don't have the Epic Leadership feat but: "...in a slight variant from the core rules, this book assumes that the character's effective Leadership score is unlimited."

Away with powergaming propaganda! | I <3 Powergaming!

Don't feed the trolls. Especially the clever ones.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  12:54:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Warlord - I think its a Prestige Class that gives a Leadership bonus...correct me if I am wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  12:56:12  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Warlord - I think its a Prestige Class that gives a Leadership bonus...correct me if I am wrong.

Actually thinking about it now, I might be thinking about the Orc Warlord Prestige Class so I am likely totally off base...but it might be a bonus given by the designer for the Ogre Warlord just to make him look more Bossy!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  13:20:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I've checked the draft chapter and can tell you the following:

Eric had him with a base Leadership score of 26, not 25: (19 HD) +6 (Cha) +1 (Leader feat, see HoB, page 96) +2 (great renown) -2 (cruelty) = 26.

His commander rating of 7 was boosted from 5 (natural commander ability) for story reasons.

He concluded by giving Sothillis a Leadership score of 38. On the maths, this is correct when you take into account the Scion of the Horned Mage decoration.

Why WotC changed it to 52 is anyone's guess. The correct number based on the stats, is 38.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  13:41:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

<snip>
Why WotC changed it to 52 is anyone's guess. The correct number based on the stats, is 38.

-- George Krashos

"It goes to 11."

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Last Guardian
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  15:08:50  Show Profile  Visit The Last Guardian's Homepage Send The Last Guardian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I looked up the Warlord Pres. class last from Races of Faerun. The class allow the warlord to take the number of followers for any given leadershp score and multiply it by 150% (lvl 2 abiltiy i think)and then later at 200% (lvl 4) but the restriction is that the followers much all be Orc. Hope that sheds some light.

EDIT: Nevermind, taking another look at the post your wanting to know about leaderships scores, not number of followers. ><

Edited by - The Last Guardian on 11 May 2010 15:21:25
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  15:54:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was likely just a random big number tacked on to make him look like a super leader.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000