Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 For the DND players
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dinnin
Seeker

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  06:54:27  Show Profile Send Dinnin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey All

Just a question cos this is one thing that bugs me. Have you ever had players that contest every single rule? As an example i one had a guy who was a science major in real life and he was arguing rules in FR saying its not possible to be done cos it cant be done here in this time.

Let me know if its just my group or if there are these kind of people everywhere

"Use yer heads! A barnyard goose tastes better 'an a wild one cause it don't use its muscles. The same oughta hold true for a giant's brains!"
Bruenor Battlehammer

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  08:55:30  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
show him Rule: 0a (and rule: 0b)

GM wins all rule questions

A Wizard Did It

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Edited by - Sian on 07 May 2010 08:55:46
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  09:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frankly, science guy is either being deliberately disruptive or is a cretin. It's a fantasy world governed by overt magic as much as by physical laws and the 'rule of cool' carries just as much weight as realistic practicality. As far as actual rules of the game, if you've got them on hand then refer to them, otherwise the convention is that the DM makes an executive decision to keep the game going and it can be discussed at length later.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  10:07:29  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i forgot one by Ed on Physics (paraphased ... anyone able to find it in the achives?)

"RL Physics doesn't work the same way as FR Physics, for an example Gunpowder transferred from Earth to Faerun wouldn't work, while smokepowder the other way around wouldn't work either, even though effectively (but not chemically) is the same"

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  11:49:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The physics of the Realms are slightly out of synchronization with the rest of the planes, so that many technological devices which operate on electronics do not function. Equivalent devices may be developed by player characters. DMs should put some thought into what they will allow into their campaign worlds. DMs may choose to eliminate the use of gunpowder (or its magical equivalent, smoke powder) from the Realms, at their option.

-- Page 9 of Running the Realms, in the 2E FRCS

quote:
The physics of the Realms are slightly out of sync with the rest of the planes, so that gunpowder and many technological devices which operate on electronics do not function. Equivalent devices may be developed by player-characters. DM’s judgment is advised as to what may be allowed into the world.

-- Page 9 of DM’s Sourcebook of the Realms, in the 1E FRCS

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  12:37:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Ed has talked about this at length in previous replies here at Candlekeep. Just search the "So Saith Ed" archives.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  12:44:26  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had game rules lawyers but not rules of physics lawyers and this guy just sounds like a pain in the rear end who needs to be docked 2000xp minimum lol

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  06:05:05  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slap him up side the head, and ask him.... how many hit points did that take from him? After he answers you, ask him "So what level do you think you are? Shall we find out by me smacking you upside the head until you are subdued?"

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  06:12:21  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL @ Wenin...that is probably one of the best and funniest things I've seen in a while! Thanks man!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dinnin
Seeker

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  00:53:14  Show Profile Send Dinnin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

Slap him up side the head, and ask him.... how many hit points did that take from him? After he answers you, ask him "So what level do you think you are? Shall we find out by me smacking you upside the head until you are subdued?"

Thats Awesome Wenin, ill have to remember that. Yeah i dont play with this guy anymore. His PC always somehow mysteriously ended up dying over and over. And to the other comments we did show him rules he was just being an pain and going against it.

Thanks everyone i had a good chuckle reading the posts

"Use yer heads! A barnyard goose tastes better 'an a wild one cause it don't use its muscles. The same oughta hold true for a giant's brains!"
Bruenor Battlehammer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000