Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Zoomify-enabled map is ready
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  21:12:28  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,
I've recently posted a few snippets of my Toril map. I'm happy to announce that the Zoomify-enabled, version 1.0 of the map is now ready to be viewed at:

http://handsomerob.byethost33.com/Map.html

I invite you all to have a look - you can zoom in on any region that you'd like to see, and please know that I am accepting edits! If you notice anything missing or incorrect, please let me know and I will try to get it corrected for the next version.

I will be adding a scale bar and map legend to the site soon as well - I'll let you know when they are ready.

Thanks, and enjoy!

-Rob

Visit Sorol today: http://sorol.wikispaces.com

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  21:18:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  21:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  21:55:00  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  22:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's really, really impressive, though the zoomify site is really, really, annoying. Is it available for download anywhere, like your Zakhara map?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  22:15:38  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

That's really, really impressive, though the zoomify site is really, really, annoying. Is it available for download anywhere, like your Zakhara map?

Sorry, no - it's a 1.2 GB Photoshop file and there's no way I can export it to jpg. Otherwise be sure that I would - I think this is the best possible option, and I apologize for the slowness of the site.

-Rob

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  22:26:28  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... that is quite the file. Did you work on it in pieces and then stitch it together?

It'd be a shame if the map is constrained to the one website. Maybe we'll be able to think of something, though nothing comes to mind instantly. It's certainly not something you can email!

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Last Guardian
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  22:44:26  Show Profile  Visit The Last Guardian's Homepage Send The Last Guardian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I lurk here daily, but that warranted a congrats. That is a very impressive piece of work! Nice job!

Edited by - The Last Guardian on 27 Apr 2010 22:45:29
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  23:48:11  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just Nerdgasmed all over myself!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 27 Apr 2010 23:54:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  01:03:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Be sure to clean up after yourself. Other scribes have to use this room as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  01:30:13  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um... er... what Ashe, Skychrome, and Brimstone said... and yes, Sage, I'll clean up after myself.

Rob: Typo near Waterdeep: It's Mount Helimbrar, not Hellmbrar... at least, the latter is how it appears when I look at the map. I'm still looking around, and this is an amazing piece of work.

You said there's no way to export to JPEG... what about a higher-density format, like .BMP? I know that doesn't do anything for the file size, but I'd be quite patient for a download like that.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  01:46:05  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You are hired!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  01:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brilliant work. Thank you for such an awesome map.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  02:04:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Extremely Impressed.
I'd love a map of faerun on my Pc that could do this....nice and big

a 1.2 gig.....did I read that right??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 28 Apr 2010 02:05:43
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  02:16:50  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazing piece of art Rob. I suspect my ruffled, nigh-impossible to read old maps will have to stand back for a while now, as using this on my laptop will surely be a marvelous solution.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  02:23:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Be sure to clean up after yourself. Other scribes have to use this room as well.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  02:31:35  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have something of an obsession with the ancient ruins of the Realms, particularly the mythals; the only "mythal cities" (or ruins thereof) I could find on the map were Myth Drannor, Myth Lharast (Amn), and Myth Rhynn (Tethyr). See "Faerun's twelve cities of Myth" by Steven Schend in the REALMS-L list (I would post a link, but I don't have one handy, as I'm working off a copied text file); most of the others have at least general locations, and I'm sure that scribes here such as The Sage can assist with more precise placement of the others. I'll see what I can find in the sources I have access to ATM.

Again, awesome work... I'm still pondering a way to make this map portable without sacrificing detail...

Oh... and a question, Rob: Where did you get the topographical details for Katashaka and Anchorome? There's a particular fan-created map that I found online a while ago that has topography for 90% of Osse, but nothing for Anchorome or Katashaka. I'm just curious... and I'll post a link to the map I'm referring to if I can find it again.

Edit: That was quick... as noted in the site, the continent development is not canon, but it's the only topology I've found for Osse anywhere.

Later edit: Here's what we know about the various mythal cities from the aforementioned article by Sage Schend (mythal cities that I found on your map are excluded):
Myth Nantar (mentioned in RoMD and detailed in SoFS and (partially) in The Wyrmskull Throne) (I have access to neither of the latter sources atm, as I have neither of them in PDF format.)
Myth Dyraalis (discussed in Lands of Intrigue: Tethyr, p.91);
Myth Unnohyr (discussed in Lands of Intrigue: Tethyr, p.54);
(From the text in LoI: Tethyr, I'm assuming that both sites are in the Forest of Mir, but one is completely ruined except for its mythal, and the other is invisible in much the same manner as Rhymanthiin.)
Myth Ondath (The North; I know there's a detailed location but it's eluding me so far; mentioned in VGtATM and Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves);
Myth Iliscar (Lantan; mentioned in Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves);
Myth Adofaer (High Forest; no detailed treatment in any printed sources so far).

Anyway, that's what I've got; I believe I've asked Ed already for more information as to locations (past or present*) of the aforementioned cities, but I suspect NDAs to be heavily involved in at least some cases. * - "present" meaning 1375 DR for my purposes.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 28 Apr 2010 03:11:06
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  03:04:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

I have something of an obsession with the ancient ruins of the Realms, particularly the mythals; the only "mythal cities" (or ruins thereof) I could find on the map were Myth Drannor, Myth Lharast (Amn), and Myth Rhynn (Tethyr). See "Faerun's twelve cities of Myth" by Steven Schend in the REALMS-L list (I would post a link, but I don't have one handy, as I'm working off a copied text file)
'Tis here, along with some other relevant details:- http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind9911D&L=realms-l&P=R7665
quote:
... most of the others have at least general locations, and I'm sure that scribes here such as The Sage can assist with more precise placement of the others. I'll see what I can find in the sources I have access to ATM.
This'll probably have to wait until I get home, as I'm at currently at work.
quote:
Oh... and a question, Rob: Where did you get the topographical details for Katashaka and Anchorome? There's a particular fan-created map that I found online a while ago that has topography for 90% of Osse, but nothing for Anchorome or Katashaka. I'm just curious... and I'll post a link to the map I'm referring to if I can find it again.

Edit: That was quick... as noted in the site, the continent development is not canon, but it's the only topology I've found for Osse anywhere.
Brian James provided some details on Katashaka in his Candlekeep Compendium articles. This was before the region became canon with the publication of The Grand History of the Realms.

As for the geographical/topographical information on Anchorome... I can only imagine these have come from what little Ed has revealed about the region over the years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  03:14:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the REALMS-L link, Sage! My later edit in my above post was made while you were posting, but I don't think it invalidates or makes redundant anything you've mentioned, apart from quoting from the aforementioned post by Sage Schend.

Go to Top of Page

Tren of Twilight Tower
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  03:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Tren of Twilight Tower's Homepage Send Tren of Twilight Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rob, you seem to be some kind of living legend here at Candlekeep. And I just found why. Many thanks for all hard work, and for sharing this awesomeness with the rest of us!

Tren
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  04:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, most impressive work, sir.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  05:04:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon 373(DDI), by Brian R. James. Ecology of the Sharn mentions Myth Akherynnar. It was destroyed by the Killing Storm.

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 28 Apr 2010 05:06:01
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  07:50:21  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rob... THANK YOU!

If you are by GenCon ever, I will buy you a drink of your choice (or whatever else you would rather desire in its place), this is WONDERFUL.

I'll also voice that I'd wait for as long as necessary to download such a wonderful map (heck, I'd make a wall poster out of the thing, page by page if I had to!). I'm extraordinarily impressed with that map. You did awesome. This is just... wow.

Thank you (and this was just in time for my Birthday today, how did you know? )

Steve

>gets to cleaning up the geekgasm I just had. (sorry sage!)>

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  12:34:03  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you indeed! This map is really awesome!

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  13:43:13  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking for that map for ages! Complete map, detailed and beautifull. But the damn slow site really got me down. Too bad it is not downloadable.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  14:15:49  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, it is kinda.... in pieces, which is just as good.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  15:07:46  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm unable to view it, my job has it blocked as the site is under the category: Phishing

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  15:14:58  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know Rob, cutting the map into pieces that could be downloaded (as you had with some of the maps in the other thread) could be a possible solution as well. A number of scribes such as myself aren't good at making maps, not like you, but we can piece together a puzzle pretty well using some of the basic image software out there. Would that be an option for you? I'd be happy to host something like that if it would, let alone what the Sage and big Al would let you do to get that stuff here at the Keep, I'm sure!

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."

Edited by - Darkmeer on 28 Apr 2010 15:16:10
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  15:40:10  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hmm... that is quite the file. Did you work on it in pieces and then stitch it together?

Actually I built the entire thing in Illustrator, using simple vector shapes for forests, mountains, etc. When that was done I went through the excruciating process of moving all of those layers into photoshop and prettying it up. The layered photoshop file is ridiculous - something like 3.5 gigs.

quote:

For Katashaka, I've taken the maps from the Nyambe setting and warped them into the canon shape of the continent. I've seen the Nyambe material suggested for use for Katashaka in a number of places, so it seemed appropriate.
For Anchorome, it's a bit more of a stretch. There's a nice fan-made map at http://hiddenway.tripod.com/images/maps/ that I used for the topography, and the landcover information is my own. So Anchorome is completely non-canon.

quote:
That was quick... as noted in the site, the continent development is not canon, but it's the only topology I've found for Osse anywhere.

I saw that as well, but it didn't seem to jive with the whole Australia/Polynesian vibe that I think Osse is supposed to have. I would really like to see the Osse Project that (I think) MarkusTay started over at the Wizards site be completed. They had some pretty interesting ideas that I'd love to see incorporated.

quote:
Later edit: Here's what we know about the various mythal cities from the aforementioned article by Sage Schend (mythal cities that I found on your map are excluded):

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to get them in for the next version.

quote:
I'm unable to view it, my job has it blocked as the site is under the category: Phishing

Weird. I googled "free web hosting" to find that site, other than that I know nothing about it. Consider it a temporary situation.

I will look seriously into the issue of getting a single, downloadable jpg available, but it may take me a bit of fooling around; in the meantime, let's try to find all of the mistakes so that I don't have to go through the process more than once or twice. I just noticed that a lot of my capitol city stars were lost at some point - I'll need to restore them.

What do you guys think of the international boundaries? Should they be kept or ditched?

-Rob

Go to Top of Page

Amraz one arm
Acolyte

Netherlands
42 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  15:42:14  Show Profile  Visit Amraz one arm's Homepage Send Amraz one arm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOOWWW, wooowwwww wooo ........ this rocks

"You smell human to me."
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  17:20:11  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What do you guys think of the international boundaries? Should they be kept or ditched?

-Rob

Keep them in my opinion. They are not really that conspicuous anyway. Would have been worse if they had been glaringly offensive to the eye, but as they are now i think they fit in very well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000