Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 You favorite Realms City
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  17:03:17  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
waterdeep all the way.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  11:17:27  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not the Athkatla, for sure. Cowled wizards, government, people - I hate how they all look on magic(bloody peasants!) and how completely different is the standing of the people(Bloody nobles!). City of Sylverymoon for me.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  11:41:15  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, it's Baldur's Gate. I really came to know and love that city through Baldur's Gate I when I played my paladin Joran through the storyline, which I thought was incredible. I still enjoy playing through Baldur's Gate I and Baldur's Gate II when I have the time. It's like visiting old friends for me, and that makes it all the better. I also downloaded all of the Volo's Guides so I could get a better idea of the Realms are, their people, and what the cities look like. Those books really have helped me DM a better campaign when my players are in the cities, and they still love to go by and visit some of their old friends that they met that are used in those guides.

A second favorite city with me is Myth Drannor when it was still ruins. I feel that Wizards really made a big mistake in bringing it back, especially seeing as how it was so incredibly easy in The Last Mythal.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 23 Apr 2010 11:42:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30204 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  12:56:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart


A second favorite city with me is Myth Drannor when it was still ruins. I feel that Wizards really made a big mistake in bringing it back, especially seeing as how it was so incredibly easy in The Last Mythal.



I like the idea of bringing it back, but I think they did it too quickly. I'm thinking that five years after driving the fey'ri out, it'd be somewhere between a small frontier town and an armed camp, with a lot of ruins remaining to clear out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  13:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart


A second favorite city with me is Myth Drannor when it was still ruins. I feel that Wizards really made a big mistake in bringing it back, especially seeing as how it was so incredibly easy in The Last Mythal.



I like the idea of bringing it back, but I think they did it too quickly. I'm thinking that five years after driving the fey'ri out, it'd be somewhere between a small frontier town and an armed camp, with a lot of ruins remaining to clear out.



I think I can understand that, really. I still have no clue how the few fey'ri that went with Sarya there were able to contend with the demons, devils, priests, etc that were in place inside and around the city though. Well, I know one way, but that would be speaking bad about an author, which I don't want to do here. I still wish that... certain books could have been written by an author that could approach the topic in a more intelligent fashion, and could have actually made you care about the characters involved. I apologize if I may have said something here that's considered touchy, and this is all I'll say on the matter, you have my word.

I suppose that the revival of the city could make for some interesting campaigns and adventure ideas, though. And out of curiosity, what's the current condition of Myth Drannor in 4E? I haven't read anywhere about the population of it in the new setting or how much of the city has been fully reclaimed as I'm a 3.5E/Pathfinder guy. Is there a thread anywhere here at Candlekeep that goes into more detail about the city?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  00:02:15  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart


A second favorite city with me is Myth Drannor when it was still ruins. I feel that Wizards really made a big mistake in bringing it back, especially seeing as how it was so incredibly easy in The Last Mythal.



I like the idea of bringing it back, but I think they did it too quickly. I'm thinking that five years after driving the fey'ri out, it'd be somewhere between a small frontier town and an armed camp, with a lot of ruins remaining to clear out.



I think I can understand that, really. I still have no clue how the few fey'ri that went with Sarya there were able to contend with the demons, devils, priests, etc that were in place inside and around the city though. Well, I know one way, but that would be speaking bad about an author, which I don't want to do here. I still wish that... certain books could have been written by an author that could approach the topic in a more intelligent fashion, and could have actually made you care about the characters involved. I apologize if I may have said something here that's considered touchy, and this is all I'll say on the matter, you have my word.

I suppose that the revival of the city could make for some interesting campaigns and adventure ideas, though. And out of curiosity, what's the current condition of Myth Drannor in 4E? I haven't read anywhere about the population of it in the new setting or how much of the city has been fully reclaimed as I'm a 3.5E/Pathfinder guy. Is there a thread anywhere here at Candlekeep that goes into more detail about the city?



Are you sure your dislike for the novels isnt at least somewhat derived from the fact that a certain moonblade weilding Bladesinger wasnt the one to reclaim the city , Richie boy went and stole your story.

I know your biggest argument is the departure from pre-written lore (Keryvian, Cloak and Dagger, ect) but I will agree with you that in the way the characters were written, I didnt connect with them on any deep rooted level and the story felt a bit contrived, much like the Spellplague.

Honestly I would have loved to see the reclamation of Myth Drannor as something for PC's to acheive, the grand fulfillment to the end of an adventure....maybe in the form of something like a Pathfinder adventure path
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  00:05:07  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL no, my friend. Damaston has nothing to do with this, I promise.

And trying to stick with not saying anything more on it, I agree. You know which parts, I'm sure.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  06:48:45  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the official cities with all their lore and variety, though I tend to make the strongest connections with cities I've played in. The groups I joined tend to use medium and lower profile cities in the Realms. I have fond memories of various places in Halruaa (several characters from there, one notable game set there), Scornubel (one of those rare times when we ran it really close to official sources), Westbridge (one of my first Realms games), Waymoor and Espar (probably one of the best games I've been in), and Berdusk (changed it from the sources).

My group touched briefly on bits and pieces of the Blade Kingdoms. We often used the Realms as a background starter then made up cities for the games like Irdathar, Crag Port, Atorath and others. Some were just brief visits, some served as home turf.

Looking back, now I really miss having a regular Realms game.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  07:27:34  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhentil Keep for me...but my true choice would have been Melvaunt on the Moonsea.

Zhentil keep because it is a solid place to have both evil city intrigue and also launch adventure into surrounding wilderness.

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
542 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  07:31:49  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends, if I have to live in it it would be Silverymoon or maybe Waterdeep.

But just for beeing interesting there are a few like Menzoberanzzan or Atkathla
Go to Top of Page

Tren of Twilight Tower
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  01:22:28  Show Profile  Visit Tren of Twilight Tower's Homepage Send Tren of Twilight Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote

From offered list - Myth Drannor.

Otherwise - Evereska, followed by Myth Drannor, Silverymoon, Neverwinter, and so on.

There are so many interesting places/cities - it almost feels like cheating to pick a single one, heh.


Tren
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  01:36:35  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could have voted any of four ways on this one: Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Baldur's Gate, or Westgate. They are the four cities that never fail to make an appearance (even if only by name in conversation with NPCs or in writings found during an adventure) in every Realms campaign I have ever DM'ed or played in. I went with Waterdeep because it was the site of the most memorable moments in three major campaigns so far (the last of which is still continuing).

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  06:50:50  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Of those on the list, Westgate, but Iriaebor, Priapurl (OK, a bit to small for this contest) and Arabel deserves a honourable mentioning.



+1 for Arabel!

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  06:54:13  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I voted for Myth Drannor. The second would be Silverymoon... I just like their atmosphere and ideals, I guess.



I voted for Silverymoon for the same reasons, but I don't think a settlement has to be huge to be interesting.

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  04:37:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Waterdeep, though I would have voted for Shade had it been in the list.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  21:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage  Send Dracons a Yahoo! Message Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to do alot of games in Waterdeep/Skullport. However, some of the players favorite adventures have been at Candlekeep, Calimport, Silverymoon (Which has been destroyed in my world), and various other small places.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
63 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  22:56:41  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

I tend to do alot of games in Waterdeep/Skullport. However, some of the players favorite adventures have been at Candlekeep, Calimport, Silverymoon (Which has been destroyed in my world), and various other small places.



how was destroyed? just curious

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  22:59:48  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage  Send Dracons a Yahoo! Message Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ehh, it was unrealistic. I don't want to embrass myself by revealing it here for others to mock. But basically, the Mythal was revesersed, making all the protections enhance the enchanments, this followed by a high level fire spell eradicated the town into a ghost ruins town, where the spirits were captured to power a higher level planar spell for the main bad guy.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
63 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  07:41:12  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfriend

This is another curious and maybe usefull Forgotten Realms poll.
I'd like to know you favorurite big city in the Realms. All city with a boxed set or a sourcebook are included. I refer only to 1e, 2e and 3e Realms.



Here we are, after 53 votes we have Waterdeep at first place, no surprise at all. We all love our most detailed city.
Then:
2nd- Myth Drannor
3rd- Silverymoon
4th- Baldur's Gate

And 5Th place for Skuld! That is what surprises me. Skuld is before both the capital of Amn or even Calimport!last place for Raven's bluff with zero choices, another surprise to me.




Edited by - dragonfriend on 14 May 2010 07:42:19
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  07:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have bad memories of Athkatla from BG2. I felt like being the orc in Evermeet!

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

SuperTina
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  16:22:38  Show Profile  Visit SuperTina's Homepage Send SuperTina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myth Drannor for me. Although Dagger Falls (which is not represented in this poll) is my true, all-time fave.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  16:55:45  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfriend

quote:
Originally posted by dragonfriend

This is another curious and maybe usefull Forgotten Realms poll.
I'd like to know you favorurite big city in the Realms. All city with a boxed set or a sourcebook are included. I refer only to 1e, 2e and 3e Realms.



Here we are, after 53 votes we have Waterdeep at first place, no surprise at all. We all love our most detailed city.
Then:
2nd- Myth Drannor
3rd- Silverymoon
4th- Baldur's Gate

And 5Th place for Skuld! That is what surprises me. Skuld is before both the capital of Amn or even Calimport!last place for Raven's bluff with zero choices, another surprise to me.



Skuld also surprised me in a very positive way.

Regarding Raven“s Bluff: I love the city, but if I have to pick one favorite only, then it is only second favorite with a few others. I think this is probably what happened to many here: Raven“s Bluff is not number one, but that does not mean that it is not among the favorites.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  17:24:14  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep for me. Mostly because it's such a staple city in most of the campaigns I have done (my preferred areas of the Realms being the Savage Frontier and the Western Heartlands...). In those, sooner or later, everybody ends up in Waterdeep's bars.

Club Secretary of the Dragons on the Hill RPG Club of London, UK: http://dragonsonthehill.co.uk/.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
569 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  19:32:09  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhentil Keep....

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!


"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  19:05:02  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most (but perhaps not all) cities of Faerūn have something setting them apart. I like the Moonsea cities, Hillsfar, Zhentil Keep, etc., I like Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, Zazesspur.. I like Iriaebor, Westgate, Raven's Bluff, Tantras...Arabel, Suzail, Marsember...so I find myself unable to settle for one :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000