Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Authors
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dinnin
Seeker

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  06:00:53  Show Profile Send Dinnin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Just wondering who everyone thinks is the best forgotten realms author?

Choices:

R. A. Salvatore
Ed Greenwood
Richard Lee Byers
Elaine Cunningham
Paul S. Kemp
Lisa Smedman
Thomas M. Reid
Richard Baker

(Anonymous Vote)

"Use yer heads! A barnyard goose tastes better 'an a wild one cause it don't use its muscles. The same oughta hold true for a giant's brains!"
Bruenor Battlehammer

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  06:08:59  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First vote goes to Ed Greenwood.

With Honorable Mentions to Paul S. Kemp, Elaine Cunningham, That Erik guy, Richard Baker, and Erin M. Evans(God Catcher rocked!).

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 20 Apr 2010 06:12:54
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  06:15:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't pick just one. Thus my vote equally goes to Ed Greenwood, Elaine Cunningham, Steven Schend, Erik Scott de Bie, Thomas Reid and Jeff Grubb.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  06:17:43  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1-st vote for Elaine Cunningham.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  06:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first vote goes to Erik Scott de Bie ??? okay my second vote goes to Richard Lee Byers :O)

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  11:13:36  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul Kemp

not in the poll, my favorite authors are Grubb & Novak, then Lowder, some of early Salvatore and one of the authors from the mongol trilogy, don't remember

Edited by - Quale on 20 Apr 2010 13:25:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  11:44:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to vote for Elaine. But it would have been a toss-up if Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb had been on the list.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  13:52:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Missing a LOT of names on that list:

Troy Denning, Jeff & Kate, Jaleigh Johnson, Rosemary Jones, James Lowder, Douglas Niles, Mel Odom, Steven Schend, Brian Thomson...

In the future, I'd recommend NOT including a poll question on a thread like this, just to be fair to those of us that have a favorite author that you may not have heard of.

As for my favorite, it's a tie among Elaine, RAS, Ed, Steven, Jeff & Kate and Brian Thomson*.

*I think Wooly cries a little bit everytime I rank Once Around the Realsm as one of the best books of the Realms.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  14:12:29  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
where is the all of the above choicE?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  14:14:32  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well this was tough. Ed is the best on Realms knowledge, source material, etc... but I can't count him as the best for the novels IMO. All the other authors are fantabulastic, so I just used numbers as a tie breaker and went with Salvatore (no I'm not a "fanboy") since his sales are the highest.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  16:15:29  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leaves me with mixed feelings answering this question.

Even though I do not have to think long to give my vote to Paul S. Kemp, there are so many other authors I really really enjoy, just to mention a few such as Elaine, Byers, Lowder, Grubb and others.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  20:11:13  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham...
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  22:18:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Greenwood.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  00:37:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

*I think Wooly cries a little bit everytime I rank Once Around the Realsm as one of the best books of the Realms.

I've not read the book in like 10 years or more, and I don't recall any particular feelings about it.

I will say, though, that there have been some very popular books/series that I didn't like -- including one that I wanted to throw across the room, because the ending made me that angry. I shan't say any more on that topic, but it's seeing references to those books and their writer(s) as the best that make me cry a little.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  01:02:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I will say, though, that there have been some very popular books/series that I didn't like -- including one that I wanted to throw across the room, because the ending made me that angry. I shan't say any more on that topic, but it's seeing references to those books and their writer(s) as the best that make me cry a little.
Indeed.

It's especially disturbing when these particular sources become discussion topics at the gaming table. It's one of the few times when I avoid any kind of direct input for fear of rattling a few cages.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  01:43:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Richard Lee Byers. I love his Dissolution and the Haunted Lands. In terms of the number of books I have read, Ed tops the list (at least for FR). So he's my second. Third is Troy Denning, then Elaine Cunningham...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  02:41:59  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My best Realms writer is Salvatore. ANd my favorite series are the trilogy (the Ten towns trilogy) and the cleric quintet.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  03:40:31  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I voted for Richard Lee Byers. I love his Dissolution and the Haunted Lands. In terms of the number of books I have read, Ed tops the list (at least for FR). So he's my second. Third is Troy Denning, then Elaine Cunningham...

If you like Byers and haven't read The Black Bouquet yet, then I can strongly recommend it!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  16:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While Ed Greenwood is probably my favorite author, too many other good authors missed the poll - including the man who originally got me reading Realms fiction, Jim Ward. The original Pools trilogy was great.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  17:06:04  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i voted for thomas reid simply for the fact that he wrote scions of arrabar and wrote the best wotsq novel.after that id go with either rich baker or ras.im sorry but ed greenwood would be bottom of my list.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  17:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Different strokes, different strokes, swifty; he's at the top of mine. :}
BB
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  03:41:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

If you like Byers and haven't read The Black Bouquet yet, then I can strongly recommend it!

Thanks, I will read it.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  18:00:11  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Mr. Greenwood because with out him the Realms would not be here. As for second place just look at my sig.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  10:47:10  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can i have 2 votes? :-P
Go to Top of Page

Archimedes of Syracuse
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  12:24:00  Show Profile  Visit Archimedes of Syracuse's Homepage Send Archimedes of Syracuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to vote for lisa smedman, she does a wonderful job of making you feel close to the character. like he or she was one of your close friends. its very refreshing to come home from work sit down open up a book and feel like you checking in on a friend. seeing how they grow and the choices that they make etc. she also has a way of making every detail vivid to you like your in the book, and she does this without bogging down her pages with sentence after sentence of detail. she keeps it simple yet not so at the same time(hard to describe). anyways my vote is for her because house of serpents is by far the best FR series iv read. arvin is to this day my favorite FR character. and Zelia was such an amazingly written villian
Go to Top of Page

Archimedes of Syracuse
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  12:25:44  Show Profile  Visit Archimedes of Syracuse's Homepage Send Archimedes of Syracuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the double post. but i just saw that richard baker has zero votes!!!!!!!!! has anyone read the last mythal? great series.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  17:13:32  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Archimedes of Syracuse

Sorry for the double post. but i just saw that richard baker has zero votes!!!!!!!!! has anyone read the last mythal? great series.

Got it on my shelf for quite some time already, but could not motivate myself yet to start it. I know I should...

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  17:50:05  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I could have easily voted for him. Like I said, sale numbers were my tie-breaker, else I would have had to not vote. Baker's novels are fantastic!!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  00:03:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have. I like those books, and reread them just a few months ago.

But in my opinion, no Realms author compares to Elaine or Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  01:04:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I have. I like those books, and reread them just a few months ago.
And I'll admit that I just haven't read them yet.
quote:
But in my opinion, no Realms author compares to Elaine or Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak.
Indeed. While I can appreciate elements of Baker's FR fiction, I grew up on a steady diet of Ed Greenwood and Elaine Cunningham Realmslore. It's a difficult process for me to add to that listing of great FR authors.

Go to Top of Page

Tren of Twilight Tower
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  02:51:36  Show Profile  Visit Tren of Twilight Tower's Homepage Send Tren of Twilight Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

D'oh! I did not intend to vote at first, as there is so many good FR authors. Now, after reading your message I wanted to vote for Richard Baker, alas, since I viewed results of pool, it wouldn't allow me to vote any longer...

Personally, am biased with Ed. It is not only that I like to read his books, but he created realms too - how do you beat that?
Following Ed is a group of excellent writers, Richard Baker being one of them. Will not mention anyone else, as I would likely miss somebody.

Tren
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000