Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 How many other planes connect to the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6969 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  12:31:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that the majority of gates/portals are transient or conditional. But the minority which are more permanent are generally kept secret to prevent abuses (Elminster's Worldwalk). Or they're deliberately guarded/sealed to prevent abuses (Elfgates). Or they're left open simply because they're too dangerous to approach (Ascalhorn).

There's gates/portals linking to other places, to other worlds, to other planes, to other times. There's even whole networks of them.
https://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/portals/index.shtml

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Senior Scribe

USA
759 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  12:44:00  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

Great information. Not 100% on topic, because it involves portals of a more mundane nature, but the Underdark portals that exist at the bottom of the Sea of Fallen Stars that can be read about in that accessory are absolutely amazing to read about. It really makes that region come to life in how the undersea and underdark merge in ways that are just amazing to consider.

That just popped up into my head, so I figured I had to throw it out there. haha

Best regards,



quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

My understanding is that the majority of gates/portals are transient or conditional. But the minority which are more permanent are generally kept secret to prevent abuses (Elminster's Worldwalk). Or they're deliberately guarded/sealed to prevent abuses (Elfgates). Or they're left open simply because they're too dangerous to approach (Ascalhorn).

There's gates/portals linking to other places, to other worlds, to other planes, to other times. There's even whole networks of them.
https://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/portals/index.shtml



Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Senior Scribe

USA
759 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  21:16:59  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

I just ran across this today, and reflected back to this conversation. I have to share this, as it is pretty interesting and quite useful!

https://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1486405913488.pdf

It is a safe repository of information what I can tell and this is a 337 page agglomeration of these portals/gateways. :)

I hope you find it as interesting as I have!

Best regards,




quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

My understanding is that the majority of gates/portals are transient or conditional. But the minority which are more permanent are generally kept secret to prevent abuses (Elminster's Worldwalk). Or they're deliberately guarded/sealed to prevent abuses (Elfgates). Or they're left open simply because they're too dangerous to approach (Ascalhorn).

There's gates/portals linking to other places, to other worlds, to other planes, to other times. There's even whole networks of them.
https://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/portals/index.shtml



Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6969 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  02:26:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where does the Fugue Plane fit into post-3E planeslore?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2946 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  04:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I don't like what they did to the paraelemental and quasielemental planes in the D&D 3rd edition cosmology. Most everything else is mostly the same, although I like the arm-long list of variants on existing planes and optional planes. However, I hate what they did to the planes in the Forgotten Realms. I long ago relocated the Faerunian deities to their corresponding planes/layers in the core D&D cosmology. I might consider going back to the standard Realmsian layout, but only if someone created write-ups on the Realmsian planes that are equivalents of the ones in the Manual of the Planes or at least the 3.5 DMG.



It's funny seeing my own opinions from half my lifetime ago and how much they've changed! Also we got those writeups about six months later in the PGtF, past me.

Ayrik, I just wrote this article up on the 5e Fugue Plane, and it talks a bit about the 4e Fugue Plane as well (in 4e, the Fugue Plane sits in the Astral Sea as its own disconnected plane): https://icequeensthrone.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-fugue-plane-summary.html
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Senior Scribe

USA
759 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  07:37:31  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

A pleasant day to you!

Even though I don't play 5e, I did some digging, and it appears that while the DMG and PHB don't address the Fugue Plane, but the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide states the following on page (20):

quote:
Most humans believe the souls of the recently deceased are spirited away to the Fugue Plane, ... The servants of the gods come to collect such souls and, if they are worthy, they are taken to their awaited afterlife in the deity's domain. Occasionally, the faithful are sent back to be reborn into the world to finish work that was left undone.

Souls that are unclaimed by the servants of the gods are judged by Kelemvor, who decides the fate of each one. Some are charged with serving as guides for other lost souls, while others are transformed into squirming larvae and cast into the dust. The truly false and faithless are mortared into the Wall of the Faithless, the great barrier that bounds the City of the Dead, where their souls slowly dissolve and begin to become part of the stuff of the Wall itself.


As far as I know, beyond the fantastic input from Great Reader Arivia, "...the Fugue Plane..." doesn't "...fit into post-3E planeslore."

I did find some great tweets from the Old Mage from last year though (admittedly they refer back to TSR days), so not necessarily relevant as the Old Mage doesn't specifically state as much, but still cool I feel.



Best regards,



quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Where does the Fugue Plane fit into post-3E planeslore?


Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Senior Scribe

USA
759 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  07:42:02  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Arivia,

I always find it very interesting pulling these old but still relevant and important old scrolls from the dust bin, and reading things that as you said are from so far ago. That history is great, and it's even better seeing you all still here!

Best regards,




quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I don't like what they did to the paraelemental and quasielemental planes in the D&D 3rd edition cosmology. Most everything else is mostly the same, although I like the arm-long list of variants on existing planes and optional planes. However, I hate what they did to the planes in the Forgotten Realms. I long ago relocated the Faerunian deities to their corresponding planes/layers in the core D&D cosmology. I might consider going back to the standard Realmsian layout, but only if someone created write-ups on the Realmsian planes that are equivalents of the ones in the Manual of the Planes or at least the 3.5 DMG.



It's funny seeing my own opinions from half my lifetime ago and how much they've changed! Also we got those writeups about six months later in the PGtF, past me.

Ayrik, I just wrote this article up on the 5e Fugue Plane, and it talks a bit about the 4e Fugue Plane as well (in 4e, the Fugue Plane sits in the Astral Sea as its own disconnected plane): https://icequeensthrone.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-fugue-plane-summary.html


Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000