Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 How many other planes connect to the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  22:45:40  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know portals have been opened to some of the other planes but are they all connected

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  14:04:57  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who knows but arent there endless maney planes so i dont think all of them are linked up
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  04:13:57  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK what I mean is portals can be opened to Sigal which is on Planescape,can you like wise go to Dragon Lance,Grey Hawk,or any of the other Realms?

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  05:41:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is all dependent upon which edition (1e-2e-3e) of planar cosmology that you are using.

You access any alternate Material Plane (whether that be another D&D campaign setting, or something of your own creation) via the Plane of Shadow, which links all alternate realities (unless specifically stated otherwise in the relevant campaign book).

The Astral and Ethereal planes have very few connections (if at all) between other realms (although, the demi-plane of Ravenloft is the exception). They are in fact transitive planes. You use them to travel elsewhere within the planar make-up.

In 2e Sigil had a portal to nearly every Material Plane (campaign setting). However in 3e cosmology, this is no longer the case, unless you include Sigil in your campaign setting, and make it the center of the multiverse.

I'll explain more when I have more time...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  20:50:51  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sage,That partly answers my question.I would really love to hear more.Sorry that I am not up on this and I didn't realize that 3e changed Sigil's portals to other planes.Please tell me more!!!!

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  22:21:22  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Sage, Sigil still has connections/portals to other campaign settings. But These like the planewalking trait gained from finding the Harmonica somewhere within the Plane of Pandemonium, are Rumored... but have the possibility of still being there ( they are not rebuked...or turned) The option of travelling is to other Material Planes is also experimented in the BG series ( I know alot of you don't like it but for me it was what got me into D&D in the first place).
Anyways an object called a Planar Sphere had appearently travelled to the Dragonlance setting a picked up a Knights from orders of: The Rose, The Sword, and The Crown. As well as the halfings from a darksun setting ( Canibalistic Feral halflings appearently, but I do not know for certain).
Plus there's rumored to be portals still active in eastern Mulhorand, that are still connected to Imaskar strongholds and inturn connected to where they had taken the slaves that have become the Mulhorandi from. Although I would think these portals are better off lost.
Back on track it is not denied that there could be portals from sigil to other Campaign settings, the danger is that: A) you'd have to wander Sigil untill your lucky enough to find the right portal, and B) Being not a sage, I have no Idea how Sigil is connected to Faerun ( Sage himself might know but alas I do not).
A ...bit longwinded but my arguement is presented thus... Oh You could try the realms of Baator and The Abyss though... even the Demonweb pits.. if you be mad enough to try.. Kinda like me...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  22:29:43  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, Hope I didn't sound too obnoxious with my begging for information.I thought I should explain my motives to give you an understanding of my situation.(1):I know you and others here are more knowledgable than myself(not flattery,the simple truth)on D&D,especially the Forgotten Realms,(2):I had a chance to bid on material from other D&D realms,mostly "Grey Hawk","Dragon Lance",and "Planscape".I was hoping to see if these could be tied in together before I commited money for the resourses but I am sure they will be an investment if nothing else.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2003 :  02:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another few ways to get to the basic D&D cosmology:
It's very likely that the Infinite Staircase has a link to Toril somewhere on it.
If you use the city of Union(from the Epic Level Handbook) in your games, the Planar Gate probably links to Waterdeep somewhere during its cycle.
Also in Union, it would be possible to add a Toril Road to the Commerce Quarter.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2003 :  03:56:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage is the local expert on all things Planar. However, I can answer part of that. Sigil and the Planscape setting have been dropped from official D&D. Sage said The Manual of the Planes is close to it, though. However, he's had some rather nasty things to say (between the lines, though) about what they did to his beloved planes, at least as they connect to Toril.

And the Infinite Staircase does indeed connect to Toril, or it did in 2e. Torilians call it the Celestial Staircase, though. Y'all ought to find that name familiar.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2003 :  04:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't like what they did to the paraelemental and quasielemental planes in the D&D 3rd edition cosmology. Most everything else is mostly the same, although I like the arm-long list of variants on existing planes and optional planes. However, I hate what they did to the planes in the Forgotten Realms. I long ago relocated the Faerunian deities to their corresponding planes/layers in the core D&D cosmology. I might consider going back to the standard Realmsian layout, but only if someone created write-ups on the Realmsian planes that are equivalents of the ones in the Manual of the Planes or at least the 3.5 DMG.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2003 :  07:30:17  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.ps3e.com/raceDetail.asp?id=21
http://www.planewalker.com/index.php I did find some 3e planescape sites that had brief mention of Faerun but no certain place.I welcome any and all info. so thanks for the help.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2003 :  14:12:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cardinal Deimos said -
quote:
Sigil still has connections/portals to other campaign settings.
That is still to be decided, at least to a point. With the reworking of the planar cosmology, and the changes made from 1e, and 2e, Sigil's place as the center of the multiverse is entirely dependent upon the campaign setting that you use. Most 3e FR gamers I talk to, don't have Sigil in the Realms-cosmology at all.

As for having portals to other campaign settings, in 2e that was true. But the reworking in 3e has seen some changes (still mostly unknown until the release of the CS) that will alter that.

Cardinal Deimos also said -
quote:
A) you'd have to wander Sigil untill your lucky enough to find the right portal,
That is only part of the problem. You can find the right portal, but if you don't have the right key to access it, then all your efforts have been for naught.

Cardinal Deimos has some other things to say -
quote:
I have no Idea how Sigil is connected to Faerun
Bookwyrm is right. The Infinite (or rather Celestial) Staircase does indeed connect to Faerun (and in PS 3e it doesn't seem to have changed). So in a way, it can be said that the Realms are connected to the Planes, although this is still tentative until the release of the PS3e CS.

Arivia said -
quote:
If you use the city of Union...
I did something like that, only I replaced Sigil with a combination of the city of Union, and a modified version of the Nexus from Monte Cooke's Eldritch Magic books. Lots of fun....

William, just be aware that most of the material presented on the official PS3e site, is still in draft format, and none of the details are finalised as yet. Although the write-ups on the factions are all but complete. Also most of the material present there assumes that your have at least a familiarity with the basics of the 2e Planescape setting, or at least looked through the boxed set.

As for Faerun being mentioned in the 3e material...I have been asking that same question since PS3e was first considered a viable option.

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2003 :  22:11:45  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I humbly bow before your greater working knowledge Sage .
I Although I must say it is the planes that intrest me as well, a great deal infact. or at least the lower ones of course to find(or create) a connection from Faerun to the Far Realms, now there is a quest of.... heroic... levels. I see a great future ahead of us... and a VERY long trek for me to attempt to unseat you as Sage of the Planes

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  03:00:39  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage,I do thank you very much!!!! I know you are busy and I appreciate
your time.
How you keep track of everything is amazing to me.I had been hoping you would come back and make a posting to help me see something solid about this because lots of different opinions are floating.I will believe you and I guess we will have to wait for the 3eCS then.Hopefully 3e will not change everything.I think Sigil holds as much intrigue as Waterdeep does.

I was hoping to move to Sigil after retiring from adventuring

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  08:35:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you William.

Anyway, just remember that in your campaign, you can pretty much do whatever you want with Sigil, and it's connection to other planes. At present, in my campaign Sigil connects only to Faerun, Oerth, and Amasaria (a home-brew world). The Demiplane of Dread (otherwise known as Ravenloft) has been cast out of the Ethereal Plane (a long story), so no connection exists there. And the world of Krynn is currently under the influence of my own created planar cosmology (an experiment in planes-creation).

Cardinal Deimos said -
quote:
I Although I must say it is the planes that intrest me as well, a great deal infact. or at least the lower ones...
I am partial to Mechanus myself.

Cardinal Deimos also said -
quote:
a connection from Faerun to the Far Realms, now there is a quest of.... heroic... levels.
The strange thing about this is, that I was thinking about the same thing on Saturday night. I was listening to a Githyanki music composition I download some time ago, when the idea of using the Far Realms, and connecting portals to Faerun (as disturbing as that sounds) 'popped' into my mind (actually I was also reading over the Far Realms entry in MotP, but...). I was considering posting the question here, but from what I know, most scribes here don't have access to MotP 3e. Although those that have the Illithiad tome will know what I am talking about.

Anyway, since you mentioned it, are you interesting in helping me generate some ideas?.

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Sep 2003 08:37:15
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  08:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be willing to help. Not much else to do.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  09:05:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay .

Basically, what I am looking for is a way (and within reason) to establish portal connections between Faerun and the Far Realms. I believe that the stone keep Xaxox may be of some use in this.

Thoughts?.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  09:20:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From reading the entry on the Far Realm, the only two possible ideas are Xaxox and ancient elves. If you read pg. 212 of the Manual of the Planes, under Far Realm Links, it describes "...ancient elves once pierced the boundary of eons with a vast portal to the Far Realm, but their civilization imploded in bloody terror..." Perhaps the implosion described is the Crown Wars? Daruth Winterwood (of Xaxox) is seeking to bring the Far Realm to the Material Plane. Perhaps he could open the elven portal? If not, then he could conceivably open one of his small portals, and be aided by clergy of *insert appropriate FR deity here* . If, one of the portals was affected by a wild magic zone (either by being created in or having one spring up around it), portals to the Far Realm could spread like wildfire. Any suggestions, Sage?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  10:14:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I certainly like this idea, and it ties in nicely with Faerunian history.

Let me tinker with it a bit here, before I make some modifications of my own.

I'll post some ideas tomorrow.

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Sep 2003 10:14:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  10:20:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cardinal Deimos, Arivia...I think we should continue this discussion here. The other Realms-planar discussion can continue here though.

Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  19:02:44  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you covered what I was questioning!! I have Planescape material (2e) on the way and working on 3e,so although I would love to help with your discussion I am afraid I haven't the knowledge or resources at this time to make posts.But thank you all and I will follow your posts.
Special Thanks to you Sage for taking this subject and running with it.I know you have limited time and I am happy your interest is genuine.I look forward to learning from your knowledgable posts.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  06:57:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could probably still contribute to the Far Realms discussion William. Given the chaotic and undisciplined nature of the 'plane', anything is possible.

Also, the Far Realms are mentioned in other 3e materials, they are small mentions yes, but they are there. Just look for them.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  10:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted a partial list of the mentions in the Far Realms scroll.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  20:59:10  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

You could probably still contribute to the Far Realms discussion William. Given the chaotic and undisciplined nature of the 'plane', anything is possible.

Also, the Far Realms are mentioned in other 3e materials, they are small mentions yes, but they are there. Just look for them.

William Replys to Sage
Thanks Sage but I have Planescape material on the way that should help
me be a little more informed when speaking on the subject.Its all 2e
but I have (1)"On Hallowed Ground",(2)"2e PSCS",(3)"A guide to the Astral plane",(4)"PS Well of Worlds",(5)"Sigil and beyond".All should help me some what.Do you recommend any others, Sage?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  08:12:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it really all depends on whether you want to play a Sigil-based campaign, or Planes-related campaign.

But since you asked -

- Guide to the Ethereal Plane, the most impressive work on the Ethereal Plane that I have even read
- Planewalker's Handbook, revises the PSCS, and establishes some important information, as well as expanding some material already presented
- Faction War, this is an accessory/adventure module, but it is worth purchasing because the Faction War was one of the most defining moments in Sigilian history
- Dead Gods, again another important adventure module
- The Great Modron March, another great adventure (I really only mentioned this because Modrons are my favorite creatures
- A Player's Primer to the Outlands, a tome detailing the all important Outlands region, and the gatetowns (I believe you can download the interactive CD that was released with this tome (for free) from the WotC website - it's located here)
- Planes of ... series of boxed sets, these detail the planes of Law, Conflict, and Chaos, in greater detail and have large amounts of extra adventure and campaign information
- Uncaged: Faces of Sigil, a who's who guide to nearly ever important high-up in the City of Doors
- and lastly Factol's Manifesto, the complete guide to the Factions of Planescape

That is a rough listing of the most basic source materials to establish an understanding of the Planescape setting. There are a few other tomes, but most of the information presented in them is dealt with in most of these tomes.

)

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  01:39:21  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage,I would like to play both.Thanks for the list.I have been looking at some of these same books and adventures but I wasn't sure about my choices.I have about spent out for the month but mabye soon.Thanks for the link also.Could you put your post in PDF for me.Okay,i'm joking but you would be the one the one to setup a new
Planes bibliograpy if we had a place to put it. For now i'll cut and paste your post to text doc.

Edited by - William of Waterdeep on 19 Sep 2003 02:51:53
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  05:48:01  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'm going to try to recap a bit on the 'How many planes connect to the realms' theories.
In General we're asking what other CS can be reached from the realms, using cannon right?
We Know Sigil can fo sure (?) and from there we can access others
Is that the Just of it? Oh and I believe it was Bookwyrm who also mentioned the celestial staircase right? I mentioned my own inane babble rants, and... I think the Ethereal and Astral ( that's what i got from Sage's recomendations for books to look for).
It that the just of it or have I totally gone off track?

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  06:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here I come to clear things up:
According to official D&D/FR canon, the only way to actually reach alternate campaign settings is by traveling through the Plane of Shadow. In this topic, we've discussed many other options, including adding Realms links to the Endless Staircase/Celestial Staircase or to Union, or finding a portal to the Realms in Sigil. The reason for the cross-campaign setting links being dropped in 3rd ed is the separate cosmology change. In the Manual of the Planes, it tells about how each campaign setting now has its own cosmology. The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting didn't help, presenting a very brief section on the Realms' cosmology, and then proceeding to confuse new players with notes on Realmspace. Admittedly,the separate cosmology change gave the creators of new campaign settings more to play around with, but did eliminate the carefully created system of cross campaign setting links created in 2nd edition, and further expanded upon with the Planescape campaign setting. The Planescape campaign setting, as presented in its original texts, no longer works in D&D because of the separate cosmology change. The Great Wheel still exists, it's just now associated with the core D&D campaign setting. Sage, correct me if I've made any errors.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  08:03:29  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I understand.Although I may only think I do.But because Forgotten Realms is 3e and Planescape and some of the others are still
waiting on 3e they split them because of rule differances.If I am correct then will 3.5 widen this.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  08:49:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Arivia, that is pretty much all correct .

As a matter of note, the 3e FR cosmology has never had any basis in my FR campaigns. I have always used the planar cosmology first outlined in the 1e DMG, and 1e MotP. Of course the material was expanded upon with 2e, and then the whole 'Spelljammer/Crystal Sphere/Planescape' cosmology amalgamated the entire AD&D multiverse into a unique whole. That made things easier to run when adventures and campaigns crossed over between different campaign settings.

Unique events in the separate campaign settings sometimes nullified this connection though. For example, refer to the Chaos War and 'loss' of Krynn to the standard mulitverse cosmology, or the inability to access Athasspace from the Flow.

All the campaigns that I have run and will run all use the modified 3e PS cosmology as presented in 3e MotP. This will likely change with the 3e PSCS, but until that time I am happy to use the tools that are available at the moment.

Cardinal Deimos said -
quote:
We Know Sigil can fo sure (?) and from there we can access others
Is that the Just of it? Oh and I believe it was Bookwyrm who also mentioned the celestial staircase right? I mentioned my own inane babble rants, and... I think the Ethereal and Astral
There are a number of other possibilities, but they are not canon, and therefore unofficial. I could list a few if anybody is interested, I just need to access my archives.

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  18:54:01  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage of Perth(QUOTE:)
There are a number of other possibilities, but they are not canon, and therefore unofficial. I could list a few if anybody is interested, I just need to access my archives.

William replies:

Please do Sage!!! I think you are like Spock on StarTrek,your posts
are very good and If not canon it probably should be.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000