Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Jander Sunstar returns to the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  22:08:21  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Generally bringing chartacters back to life doesn't really appeal to me. As much as I love Phaerun Mizzrym, bringing him back twice might not be the best idea (although I would still be excited about the superheroish prospect).

However, a character that should make a return to the Realms is Jander Sunstar. The fact that he is originally from the Realms and with the planes and magic in general being tossed around because of the spellplague (4th ed.) he could somehow make it back into the realms from Ravenloft.

Someone should pitch that idea to WotC and Christie Golden.

What do you think?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  01:00:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, from what we know... Jander wanted to die in rays of the sun at the end of Vampire of the Mists. However, the Mists of Ravenloft snatched him away before he could be burned, determined to keep him alive in his tortured existence.

I'm not so sure how he could return to the Realms, though. Given the state of things in 3e RL and the fact that it was largely divorced from the connected relationship the setting enjoyed with other campaign settings during the days of 2e.

Jander is staying put for the time being.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  02:10:08  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What exactly happened to RL with 3rd Ed.? I know that it is a bit of stretch, but he is still a damn cool character. Its not like other 4th Ed. Realms changes/additions/etc aren't already pretty far fetched.

I know that in all honestly Jander's story will remain unfinished like many of the great 3rd ed. realms characters. (Elaith, Arylin, Danilo anyone?)

I just thought it would be cool is all.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  02:44:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

What exactly happened to RL with 3rd Ed.?
Essentially, the Dread Domains were predominantly set in their own universe/multiverse/plane/crystal sphere [any term is applicable, really, since White Wolf never actually defined what it was] which no longer had any definitive connections to anything else in the D&D multiverse. As such, all the previous relationships between people and places in RAVENLOFT and other worlds, like Toril, Krynn, or even Oerth, had to be altered slightly to account for the separation from the core D&D cosmology. Thus, some elements with histories tying them back to other D&D worlds, like the histories of certain Realms characters brought into RAVENLOFT during 2e, were changed. They were still noted as coming from another world, though that world was not mentioned by name, and some of the previously supported elements that might have carried through with the character -- like specific deity worship or magical ability -- were changed as well, and tied directly to the reality that the 3e RAVENLOFT setting was now based in.

In other words, the 3e RAVENLOFT setting was its own world, with its own deities, planar concepts, and overall multiversal framework that was divorced, for the most part, from the rest of the 3e D&D planar cosmological structure.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  03:45:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

I know that in all honestly Jander's story will remain unfinished like many of the great 3rd ed. realms characters. (Elaith, Arylin, Danilo anyone?)

Just as a point of interest... None of those characters were introduced in 3E. And Jander Sunstar, while from the Realms, was intro'ed in a Ravenloft novel.

Arilyn and Danilo were intro'ed in a novel from the 2E timeframe, but Elaith was first seen in a 1E supplement -- FR1 Waterdeep and the North.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  04:05:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Just as a point of interest... None of those characters were introduced in 3E. And Jander Sunstar, while from the Realms, was intro'ed in a Ravenloft novel.
He was featured in subsequent Realms of ... anthologies, however:- "One Last Drink" from Realms of Valor, "The Quiet Place" from Realms of Magic, and "Blood Sport" from Realms of Infamy.
quote:
Arilyn and Danilo were intro'ed in a novel from the 2E timeframe, but Elaith was first seen in a 1E supplement -- FR1 Waterdeep and the North.
Indeed, he first appeared as an NPC. Elaith was a well-established character in Ed's home campaign in fact.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  12:52:00  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Jander that sun elf vampire that migrated to Ravenloft from the Realms? In that case, I'd be interested where can I find info on him. I seem to remember something about Heroes' Lorebook?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  13:42:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, he is that vampire.

For more details 'Jander' sources, see this scroll:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5352

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  17:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
In other words, the 3e RAVENLOFT setting was its own world, with its own deities, planar concepts, and overall multiversal framework that was divorced, for the most part, from the rest of the 3e D&D planar cosmological structure.

I referenced Ravenloft overtly (may have been the Demiplane of Dread rather than RL as the name used, but same thing) in at least one of the planar themed pieces I did for Dragon magazine in the year or so prior to its cancellation.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  00:54:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I referenced Ravenloft overtly (may have been the Demiplane of Dread rather than RL as the name used, but same thing) in at least one of the planar themed pieces I did for Dragon magazine in the year or so prior to its cancellation.

Indeed. I considered that precious little tidbit quite a hoot!

However, it was not a perspective that White Wolf shared. And, understandably, given the dictates of the 3e OGL, they had to work with what little information they could beyond the core D&D cosmology. Thus, from the RAVENLOFT/Demiplane of Dread view, very little attention was ever given to such details in the 3e campaign sources supporting the line. White Wolf, instead, introduced an entirely new conception of how and where the RAVENLOFT setting worked in relation to the result of the multiverse.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000