Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Was Bhaal Right for the Moonshae Trilogy?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  18:06:22  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was inserting the timeline for the Moonshae trilogy from the Forgotten Realms Atlas in my overall FR timeline documents, and all of a sudden, I had an epiphany.

I got the feeling that perhaps Bhaal was a miscast for the role of "evil opponent deity" in the Moonshae trilogy. With the use of Kazgoroth "the Beast", the perytons, and the involvement of a lycanthrope (the cursed druid Trahern), I would say that Malar would have been a better choice as an opponent. He seems more appropriate as the "natural enemy" of the Earthmother. In addition, Ithyak-Orteel, the Elf-Eater, who makes a gobbling appearance in the Follow-up Druidhome trilogy, is basically a pet of Malar's.

And, if we want to get historical, if Kazgoroth was ever affiliated with Bhaal, Bhaal must have become a deity prior to 201 DR, when Cymrych High cleaned Kazgoroth's clock, and my gut feeling has always been that the ascension of Bhaal, Bane, and Myrkul had not yet occurred at that time (and let's not revisit that particular discussion, shall we?)

Thinking more about it, I liked the idea more and more for the background of my Realms, especially since the change can be made quite painlessly (the timeline events do not change), it's just a matter of replacing "Bhaal" with "Malar" in the timeline document. Of course, for the purposes of my campaign, this allows me replace Hobarth of Bhaal with a priest of Malar, who happened to have been the mentor of one of the PCs' main foils in the campaign.

It's one of those little changes that do not really affect overall canon, and at the same time make the background more "right" for your own campaign.

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  18:55:54  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes alar would be a better match in my opinion. I never really understood why Niles decided to use Bhaal as the antagonist. Of the top of my head I cant think of any real problem with this except for some ties to the dead (its been a couple of years, but didn't Hogarth awaken the Dead of the Sea?), but this could be easily explained, for example with Malars alliance with Umberlee.

And just so it has been said, I hate the idea of the ascension of Bhaal, Bane, and Myrkul. As a myth OK, but nothing more.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  19:07:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, do remember that trilogy wasn't originally written for FR. It was originally written for Dragonlance and then edited/changed to fit into FR.

But yes, Malar makes more sense.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  21:09:46  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually always liked Moander for this role: perhaps a splinter of Mo that has a slightly different aspect in the Moonshaes (like Chauntea/the Earthmother).
Having said that, Malar is at least as good a choice.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  01:37:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Well, do remember that trilogy wasn't originally written for FR. It was originally written for Dragonlance and then edited/changed to fit into FR.
Which Jeff Grubb explains, in part, here:- http://candlekeep.com/library/articles/moonshae.htm

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  01:39:23  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to FR2 Moonshae:

quote:
The origins of Kazgoroth lurk in the
past, nearly as distant as those of the
goddess herself. In the pantheon of the
Realms, the Beast is manifested as an
aspect of Malar (MAY-larr), the Beastlord

So, we have the appearance of a conflict as both works were penned by Doug Niles.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  15:49:24  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apex

quote:

So, we have the appearance of a conflict as both works were penned by Doug Niles.

Not really a conflict. Latter lore superseded older lore. Go with the supplement, I think it was published a few months after the book.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  18:13:50  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Not really a conflict. Latter lore superseded older lore. Go with the supplement, I think it was published a few months after the book.

Except the Villains Lorebook references Kazgoroth as a minion of Bhaal. So again we have a major conflict.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  23:44:52  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Kazgaroth was on secondment... It's been known to happen.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  00:24:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's possible that ol' Kazzie was an aspect of one deity, but the other later snagged him away.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Apr 2010 00:24:52
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  13:30:05  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's simple. Niles used Bhaal because when he looked at the list of deities in the realms, he thought he was the "coolest" of the bunch

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2010 :  09:39:34  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:
Originally posted by Apex

quote:

Strangely enough for me its the other way around, older before new. And Bhaal was mentioned in the later Moonshae trilogy, Hall of Heroes (although those entries were written by Steve Perrin)and later products. Come to think of it wasn't Darkwell, the book that contained Bhaal directly published after FR2?
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2010 :  13:30:23  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could it be Bhaal and Malar somehow worked together (maybe unknowingly)?
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  17:01:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

Or that they are secretly one and the same

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  18:57:47  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

Or that they are secretly one and the same

That would make for some serious lore-juggling as Bhaal is dead and Malar alive.

I prefer to just think that the one seen in the Moonshaes is a more primitive aspect of Bhaal, even though, as I said, I agree that with the way things are described in the book, Malar would be a better choice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000