Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 4e FR: A Poll for Spellplague Products
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  02:35:59  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Anything that can humanize the Spellplague would be welcomed. For example, how did mages make the transformation from Weave-based magic to wherever it comes from now? My complaint with 4E was that it was too much change with too little explanation. A lot of change with a lot of explanation makes it more usable to DMs. I'm thoroughly enjoying the "Ed Greenwood presents Waterdeep" series, but it seems as if I must abandon all of my current PCs and have them restart after the Spellplague. Again, anything that helps players learn about the SP, regardless of format, would be welcomed.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  15:56:15  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

Anything that can humanize the Spellplague would be welcomed. For example, how did mages make the transformation from Weave-based magic to wherever it comes from now? My complaint with 4E was that it was too much change with too little explanation. A lot of change with a lot of explanation makes it more usable to DMs. I'm thoroughly enjoying the "Ed Greenwood presents Waterdeep" series, but it seems as if I must abandon all of my current PCs and have them restart after the Spellplague. Again, anything that helps players learn about the SP, regardless of format, would be welcomed.
That is my feel for the 4e Realms as well. Though my viewpoint comes one who is primarily a novel reader rather than that of a DM. I will probably never start playing 4e. I and my group are happy with transitioning Pathfinder. But as I began in the Realms as a novel reader, I also intended to continue in the Realms with the advent of 4e. However, while I do not bitterly hate the changes made anymore, I still have not been able to make the jump to reading 4e Realms novels. I will at least do so with Godborn and The Serpent's Daughter, and I definitely find my interest piqued with the Abolethic Sovereignty. I just am having trouble embracing the whole of the 4e Realms. I think more illumination involving the Spellplague and the years between it and the 4e setting (preferably with several novels) would help heal that wound and help me embrace and enjoy the 4e Realms.
NOTE: Erik, this is not meant to be a anti-4e Realms post. I just am trying to voice how, though I want to embrace the 4e Realms, WotC has not done enough work as of yet for me to be able to.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  16:02:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC is putting out an Omnibus of Blackstaff Tower, Mistshore, and Downshadow on July 15th. I have really enjoyed the Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep series. It's Waterdeep, just 100 years in the future.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 09 May 2011 16:18:14
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  18:53:32  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-A timeline, though that goes against what WotC wanted to do during that time period.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  21:23:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-A timeline, though that goes against what WotC wanted to do during that time period.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  06:56:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Well, it is. I wouldn't mind, though, if they went in a different direction, and further illuminated the 104 years between 1375 DR and 1479 DR. I don't really like how things turned out in 1479 DR, as presented right now, but showing us how some of the concepts from 1375 DR evolved and turned into things present in 1479 DR could smooth a lot of the transitional problems that people have, and could tie off a lot of the plots that were left hanging that left bad tastes in peoples' mouths (the fates of certain characters, for example).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  18:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anything that can humanize the Spellplague would be welcomed. For example, how did mages make the transformation from Weave-based magic to wherever it comes from now?
My own work (continuing the Shadowbane story) is aimed at doing something very much like that.

quote:

I'm thoroughly enjoying the "Ed Greenwood presents Waterdeep" series, but it seems as if I must abandon all of my current PCs and have them restart after the Spellplague.
This is isn't necessarily the case--there are lots of ways you can bring PCs from one era to the next: time travel, magical stasis, etc. (I believe WotC ran an article on this question, actually, though I don't have a link on me at the moment.) A couple of the characters in my writing have simply lived that long (one isn't even middle aged yet).

Mechanically you might have to rebuild them, but that depends on the systems you're using.

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

However, while I do not bitterly hate the changes made anymore, I still have not been able to make the jump to reading 4e Realms novels. I will at least do so with Godborn and The Serpent's Daughter, and I definitely find my interest piqued with the Abolethic Sovereignty. I just am having trouble embracing the whole of the 4e Realms. I think more illumination involving the Spellplague and the years between it and the 4e setting (preferably with several novels) would help heal that wound and help me embrace and enjoy the 4e Realms.
NOTE: Erik, this is not meant to be a anti-4e Realms post. I just am trying to voice how, though I want to embrace the 4e Realms, WotC has not done enough work as of yet for me to be able to.

I understand completely, Hawkins. To a point, you just have to read what you like and don't read what you don't like. I would just like to reiterate my hope that you will find more things that salve that ache. I know I'm writing things specifically about the transition, showing events between the Spellplague and the modern day, trying to shed more light on all of it--but we'll see if it works for people.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  10:22:18  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Well, it is. I wouldn't mind, though, if they went in a different direction, and further illuminated the 104 years between 1375 DR and 1479 DR. I don't really like how things turned out in 1479 DR, as presented right now, but showing us how some of the concepts from 1375 DR evolved and turned into things present in 1479 DR could smooth a lot of the transitional problems that people have, and could tie off a lot of the plots that were left hanging that left bad tastes in peoples' mouths (the fates of certain characters, for example).

I voted multiple, but this analysis is spot on the dollar. If they did something along these lines, then any Spellplague product would be worthy of being published - and more importantly, not being verbally savaged (and not always justifiably) like 4th Edition Realms often is. We have the what - now we need the when, how, and why.

And as long as you don't make it a DDI-only format, that should open it up to even more people who might take an interest.
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  04:52:06  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure.....

I always found Realms products covering history to be interesting, so that would be my choice if I were to buy one.

But I am not a fan of the whole Spellplague, so I do not see myself investing in anything related to it.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  05:45:19  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please no more spellplague. It's had way more than sufficient coverage. Too much, really, when I wish the spellplague would just be forgotten.

Unless it's a novel where you make the spellplague go away forever. That I'd buy.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 03 Nov 2011 05:46:27
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  21:59:09  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise
Unless it's a novel where you make the spellplague go away forever. That I'd buy.

Yeah, I would buy something like that as well.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000