Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Yawning Portal Map
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  19:43:28  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What have people been using for this map? The ones in printed materials seem to be wrong looking something like this.

I found Mystery_Man's map here at Candlekeep which I am thinking of using it.

I figured I would see if there are other options or if people have other suggestions.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2010 :  03:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe there is a map of the Yawning Portal in Expedition to Undermountain.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2010 :  14:24:23  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first link is the map in Expedition to Undermountain. Note the lack of a yawning portal.

Mystery_Man's map, the second link, is very nice and it has a yawning portal. Though I do not see things like the secondary wet well in the back room. It also has an additional staircase that in the middle of the room, not sure if I like it.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  04:52:22  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the map presented in the wonderful Map of Waterdeep found here. The best way to find it is to use the bookmarks and click on "The Yawning Portal" under "Structures" > "Inns & Boarding Houses". Then use the Layers to view the 3 floors of the inn.

Turns out that that map from Expedition to Undermountain is the same as the one from the 1e City System box set.

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2010 :  22:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Michael Muller has a nice image of the interior of the Yawning Portal in the Candlekeep Gallery.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2010 :  02:08:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do want to point out that for anyone who's planning on the D&D Encounters series starting this Wednesday (written by that one tall and annoying guy), the Yawning Portal features prominently in the first session.

Now enough with the spoilers!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000