Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Larloch and Ioulaum?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  07:33:51  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Well people are living in the First level, it's call Downshadow.

I do remember that Halaster was in possession of Frostrune's Phylactery(sp) at the end of Blackstaff.

So I would speculate that maybe Frostrune has taken his own little (or not so little) area in Undermountain over.

If he still exists and is capable of such... He seemed rather concerned about Halaster having his phylactery, so I'm thinking that Priamon has either been destroyed, or that Halaster did something to render him incapable of taking a new body. Hally has a proven track record of being an evil git, so I'm thinking he would have done something like linked Priamon's consciousness to a portal or a scrying device, and left him unable to do anything other than observe.

That's unfortunate, about Frostrune... I would rather have seen him end up as one of Larloch's servitors. But then, maybe that's what happened in my Realms...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  07:38:41  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Personally, I still favor the idea of Manshoon collecting the pieces of Hally's soul, and inadvertently becoming some sort of gestalt of the two mages.
Which remains a curious possibility. After all, Ed said that most of the Manshoon clones tend to follow the original Manshoon's example of having extensive fall-back plans and caches and strategies set in motion. Perhaps the Manshoon clone with Halaster had planned contingencies in place throughout Undermountain, should Halaster ever die or be destroyed.

...and the gestalt shall be called... Halashoon... the name is familiar... Sage, did you or Wooly already come up with this? At any rate, it sounds better than Manster...

Gods, yes, let's stay away from Manster... I can see it now... the new gestalt has all of his stasis clones wake up at the same time again, and it turns into a bad scary sitcom... The Mansters!

Okay, that scares me more than the idea of Larloch collecting Halaster's soul shards. I'll shut up now.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 04 May 2010 07:39:42
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  07:41:10  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I more believe that Halaster will take control of that scheming clone. He is not to be underestimated, even in his state.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  08:19:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

quote:

Personally, I still favor the idea of Manshoon collecting the pieces of Hally's soul, and inadvertently becoming some sort of gestalt of the two mages.
Which remains a curious possibility. After all, Ed said that most of the Manshoon clones tend to follow the original Manshoon's example of having extensive fall-back plans and caches and strategies set in motion. Perhaps the Manshoon clone with Halaster had planned contingencies in place throughout Undermountain, should Halaster ever die or be destroyed.

...and the gestalt shall be called... Halashoon... the name is familiar... Sage, did you or Wooly already come up with this? At any rate, it sounds better than Manster...
'Twas me, I think. [I'll have to perform a search to be sure]
quote:
Gods, yes, let's stay away from Manster... I can see it now... the new gestalt has all of his stasis clones wake up at the same time again, and it turns into a bad scary sitcom... The Mansters!
You can blame me for Manster as well. I know I came up with that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  23:26:28  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

'Twas me, I think. [I'll have to perform a search to be sure]
quote:
You can blame me for Manster as well. I know I came up with that.

Heh. Good... those are two intellectual offspring I'm happy not to need to acknowledge. Still, 'tis a fascinating idea... but in my Realms, 'twill have to wait until Halaster actually dies... and there is also the matter of the Manshoon Wars to settle in my Realms as well... I have some ideas for revisiting that...

Go to Top of Page

Basil the Geek
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  00:44:50  Show Profile Send Basil the Geek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since you all are on this subject I’d like to ask in what books do I find more information on Ioulaum. I already have “Netheril, Empire of Magic” and “Lost Empires of Faerun” and was wondering what other references there are of Ioulaum or if he shows up in any novels?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  01:17:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing specific. We know next to nothing about Ioulaum. Even the material that provides us with the 'best information' is the Netheril boxed set - with all its drawbacks and failings. I'm sure there is much, much more to learn about Ioulaum. For all you know, he was the Mystryl equivalent of a Chosen of Mystra ... And to make things more interesting, he might not have known that he was.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  03:33:15  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nothing specific. We know next to nothing about Ioulaum. Even the material that provides us with the 'best information' is the Netheril boxed set - with all its drawbacks and failings. I'm sure there is much, much more to learn about Ioulaum. For all you know, he was the Mystryl equivalent of a Chosen of Mystra ... And to make things more interesting, he might not have known that he was.

which makes him all the more interesting

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  12:56:10  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This gives you plenty of room to flesh him out as you see fit for your campaign (be it historical or Arcane Age).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  22:19:36  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

quote:

which makes him all the more interesting

From a recent communication in Ed's scroll, I have all but confirmed that Ioulaum, Halaster, and Larloch were essentially Chosen of Mystryl (depending on whether or not that was the terminology in use at the time). Conclusive confirmation of such speculation I suspect is impossible due to one or more NDAs that are, of course, ever so relevant in our post-Spellplague current official timeline. Of the three, I am most interested in Larloch and Halaster, mostly because they are the two to figure most prominently in my past campaigns. In my last 2E campaign, I DM'ed the PCs through the Undermountain trilogy, in which they saved Halaster's neck and made lifelong foes of the Twisted Rune... on which note, I have some big plots afoot regarding the Twisted Rune and Larloch, plots that could see Larloch losing control of some of his stronger servitor liches, probably including his old nemesis Rhaugilath...

Edited by - Jakk on 07 May 2010 22:21:03
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  19:12:00  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Forgotten Realms. I really do. But I feel so.... idiotic compared to people here who are so much more knowledgable. I have a hardtime saying the names correctly, and If I can't say it, I don't remember it. I wish there was a prouncnation table for names. I own all the 3.0 and 3.5 books of Forgotten Realms, but it seems to me I better get the second edition books too seeing as they're refered to all the time. I feel dumb.

I do have other questions:

1: What's NDA stand for? I've seen it alot.

2: What books can I read Larloch in? He's special to me. He was the very first NPC I read about and Liked from my very first FR book ( Lord's of Darkness, which I originally got for Red Wizards as I was slowly working on my very first game and wanted an Enclave in it).

3: .... Dispite how much I read, I can't ever remember this stuff. How do so many people know so much? I mean, I don't even have all that many fiction books! I have the Avatar books ( all five), and a few Elminster book, I also read I belive was called Swordplay? It dealt with a barbarian named Sunflash from days of Nethril. I have a few other books, but cannot remember the title. Any tips?

4: How well is the quality of info at the Forgotten Realms Wikipedia? Should I ignore it, or is the info there for most part good?

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  20:52:11  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) NDAs are Non-Disclosure Agreements. Legal documents signed by developers/authors/play-testers/everyone in a 20-mile radius of Ed that basically says "This here's a secret in the setting that you can't tell anyone."

2) Larloch is mentioned in both Ed's Shandril's Saga and the Realms of Elves anthology. He's also discussed in the Lords of Darkness sourcebook.

3) Well, for me, I've re-read some of the books and I also just have a good memory for the stories. When the indexing of my Universal Knowledge* fails, I Google it.

4) It all depends. Check the source material (usually listed near the bottom). If there's no sources listed, it's suspect. This is also great since you can then look it up yourself to see what the source actually said.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  01:35:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

2: What books can I read Larloch in? He's special to me. He was the very first NPC I read about and Liked from my very first FR book ( Lord's of Darkness, which I originally got for Red Wizards as I was slowly working on my very first game and wanted an Enclave in it).
I'd search the "So Saith Ed" archives [see the link in my signature], as Ed has tumbled along on the subject of the Ultra-Lich a few times in the past.
quote:
3: .... Dispite how much I read, I can't ever remember this stuff. How do so many people know so much? I mean, I don't even have all that many fiction books! I have the Avatar books ( all five), and a few Elminster book, I also read I belive was called Swordplay? It dealt with a barbarian named Sunflash from days of Nethril. I have a few other books, but cannot remember the title. Any tips?
You can always ask here. We're ready to help!
quote:
4: How well is the quality of info at the Forgotten Realms Wikipedia? Should I ignore it, or is the info there for most part good?
It has had a few issues in the past, with some members coming in and editing certain entries to reflect Realmslore that isn't actually from an official source. For the most part however, the info is generally sound and in line with official material. If you're unsure about a specific entry or the content of FR Wiki page, feel free to query it here, and we'll try our best to secure an appropriate answer for you.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  08:30:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage is right regarding the fact that Wikipedia contains some fan-derived information rather than material in keeping with the published sources. The one that makes me cringe is the statement that Larloch possesses a set of the Nether Scrolls. To my feeble knowledge that's never been stated in the sources, but keeps popping up again and again.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 16 May 2010 08:31:23
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  10:19:07  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Sage is right regarding the fact that Wikipedia contains some fan-derived information rather than material in keeping with the published sources. The one that makes me cringe is the statement that Larloch possesses a set of the Nether Scrolls. To my feeble knowledge that's never been stated in the sources, but keeps popping up again and again.

-- George Krashos

Hmm, that was always one of the facts that I took for granted as being true: suits me right for trusting the Wiki.

Upon further research, the whole theory (and much of the Wiki's article) seems to be based on this EN World post, which seems to be entirely fan-created.

Well, now I feel quite the idiot. Let this be a warning to all, so that some good at least comes of it.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."

Edited by - Sandro on 16 May 2010 10:25:54
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  06:40:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This place is a much more certain means of getting the correct information on any FR topic than Wikipedia. Might not be as quick - but Sage and Wooly give it a red hot go.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  09:34:59  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This place is a much more certain means of getting the correct information on any FR topic than Wikipedia. Might not be as quick - but Sage and Wooly give it a red hot go.

-- George Krashos

Oh, aye, most definitely. This place is truly wonderful for any kind of Realms fan.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  05:48:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

quote:

-- George Krashos

Oh, aye, most definitely. This place is truly wonderful for any kind of Realms fan.

I agree whole-heartedly on both counts... although... there is a certain terrified glee to be had at the thought of Larloch having a complete set of the Nether Scrolls...

The big question in such a situation is: WWLD? (What Would Larloch Do?)

Edit: I just checked out that link, and I think there might be something canon to it... what follows is a quote of the relevant section from the EnWorld post:
quote:
An important focus of his research has been the reconstruction of the foundation of all Netherese magic—the Nether Scrolls. Though their creation is beyond even his vast power, he has spent many centuries patiently searching for and gathering as many of the originals as he could. His collection totals seventeen scrolls in all, including the complete arcanis fundare—the chapter focused on the nature of magic itself. Though the Netherese believed that this chapter contained only the most basic knowledge, and existed only to prepare a reader for more advanced material in the succeeding chapters, like all the scrolls it changes to match the knowledge of its reader. From the arcanis fundare Larloch has drawn great insights into metamagic and epic spellcasting, and the nature of the Weave itself. This set of scrolls has formed the core of his arcane research, and even after over a millennium of study he continues to glean new revelations on the manipulation of magic. Having secured this chapter in its entirety, Larloch is less concerned with the others, though he plans to eventually secure a complete set.

He doesn't actually have a complete set, but he's working on it, and I believe this is mentioned in a canon source. I'll work on tracking down that source later; I'm working early tomorrow morning, and it's late where I am. If someone beats me to finding and posting the source here, then thank you in advance, whoever you might be.

Edited by - Jakk on 21 May 2010 06:01:22
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  06:05:36  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the topic of Larloch having a complete set of Nether Scrolls, I believe this to be correct, based on either 'Ask Ed' or 'So Saith Ed'; As I recall, in return for some service to Mystra (v1.0), the goddess created a new set of Nether Scrolls just for the Ultra-Lich, which is to say that he does not possess one of the original copies.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  02:47:59  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

From a recent communication in Ed's scroll, I have all but confirmed that Ioulaum, Halaster, and Larloch were essentially Chosen of Mystryl (depending on whether or not that was the terminology in use at the time). Conclusive confirmation of such speculation I suspect is impossible due to one or more NDAs that are, of course, ever so relevant in our post-Spellplague current official timeline.

Some more info that supports your point, take it with a grain of salt since its the writings in a in world book.
quote:
Originally from Shadow of the Avatar Volume 1

Chief among the book's secrets of Realmslore is the matter of Mystra's essence or vitality. As mistress of magic, her power is far greater than that of the other gods of Toril. Yet, to mortals at least, it seems not so. Therein lies the secret.

Throughout history, as long as there have been gods, and people of Toril to worship them, the essential power of Mystra has been held not only by the goddess herself, but by a self-willed, loyal demigod—Azuth, who was the greatest archmage of his day—and a handful of mortals.

These mortals cannot wield what they hold of Mystra's power, but they can withhold it, even from the goddess herself. This self-will, and the mortals' often widespread travels, keep Mystra from ruling all of Realmspace and prevent any other being from doing so through her. Should Mystra ask to use the power that they hold, each of the mortals can willingly let it pass into her, but they cannot be coerced into doing so. At the moment when one of these mortals dies, the power that he or she holds passes into the greater essence of life in Toril, returning to Mystra slowly but usable by none except her.

It seems to also imply that Mystryl had Chosen. It is also interesting to read what became of said power when Chosen died. Seems like a very plausible way of reviving Mystra might be kill a bunch of her Chosen and eventually that power would reform into her. Another interesting idea, but much more far fetched, would be if she created a servant whose job was just that, say an evil being like oh Larloch.

As far as Larloch having any of the Nether Scrolls I haven't been able to find the scroll from Ed that states that. I would be interested in reading that though. Anyone?

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  09:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur
<snip>
As far as Larloch having any of the Nether Scrolls I haven't been able to find the scroll from Ed that states that. I would be interested in reading that though. Anyone?

I think it was said in one of Realms rulebooks. Where Larloch's stats are... Magic of Faerun? Or in LEoF.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  18:55:41  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 156 of LEoF details the Nether Scrolls. It states that there are two sets, each with 50 scrolls, 10 scrolls compose one of the 5 chapters.

One is located in Windsong Tower, in Myth Drannor, as a beech tree. The other set is broken up. In the 1344 DR, 3 scrolls are under the Grandfather Tree in the High Forest, 2 are in the Crypt of Hssthak beneath Anauroch, a few have been destroyed, the rest are unaccounted for. The destroyed one I don't believe, I think the old 2E description of them stated that they would eventually reform themselves.

Page 161 of LoD details Larloch. I don't see anything about Nether Scrolls there.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  19:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Killing all the Chosen is too brutal. I think there is alternative and Larloch is researching it.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  09:16:16  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Page 156 of LEoF details the Nether Scrolls. It states that there are two sets, each with 50 scrolls, 10 scrolls compose one of the 5 chapters.

One is located in Windsong Tower, in Myth Drannor, as a beech tree. The other set is broken up. In the 1344 DR, 3 scrolls are under the Grandfather Tree in the High Forest, 2 are in the Crypt of Hssthak beneath Anauroch, a few have been destroyed, the rest are unaccounted for. The destroyed one I don't believe, I think the old 2E description of them stated that they would eventually reform themselves.

Page 161 of LoD details Larloch. I don't see anything about Nether Scrolls there.

There's no mention of the Nether Scrolls in Larloch's entry in LoD -- I read through it about three times to confirm it, after Krash pointed out that Larloch's possession of the scrolls was not canon. As for the scrolls reforming, that certainly sounds right to my ears: they're out there somewhere, certainly.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  03:29:41  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of points here...

First, I think that Larloch's stats in LoD are rather underpowered. I wouldn't give him stats at all, really, since there's no need... as has been said elsewhere, by Wooly, Ed himself, and probably others, any lich encountered in Warlock's Crypt will be one of Larloch's servitor liches. With the number of powerful underlings ruled by someone like Larloch, would you risk yourself in direct confrontation? The only way to come face to face with Larloch himself should be at his instigation, and then only if the PCs have something he is interested in. And, of course, should such an encounter turn violent, it will end one of two ways: either Larloch annihilates the PCs, or the PCs succeed in destroying another servitor lich that Larloch has magically transposed himself with thanks to powerful contingency magic.

Second, I like the idea of the destroyed Nether Scrolls reforming... an artifact that powerful should not be so easily destroyed as those missing scrolls apparently were. I like the idea that the dispersed set has been gradually collected by the sarrukh liches of Oreme over the years, and they acquire the final scroll(s) shortly before the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar is unbound (if that event even happens in your campaign; I'm undecided about that particular event, myself).

Third, Larloch + Nether Scrolls = new deity of magic. It's not difficult math.

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  01:25:01  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree Larloch seems to be a character that you should never need stats for but that is up to each DM. If his stats are under powered or not? Meh, with some many servitor liches and such a large cache of magical items he is pretty much unapproachable.

As for the Nether Scrolls found the quote:
quote:
From page 8 of "Arcane Age Netheril: Encyclopedia Arcana"
The nether scrolls were immune to all magical effects, including disintegration spells and harmful magic. They could be hammered into an unrecognizable mass, however, as was demonstrated a few times in Netheril's long history. Eventually, the magic of the nether scrolls would recombine lost pieces of itself, but the time required for such a rebirth was long (it's unknown if it has reformed currently, but the Netherese never saw the scrolls reform themselves).

The fact that they were stated as minor artifacts instead of major artifacts I think has more to do with the fact that they aren't unique rather than their power level.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  07:44:21  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everybody forgets about Ioulaum cause he's immobile, always wanted to place his undead brain into a colossal adamantine construct, tentacles becoming like nerves.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  17:36:16  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree Larloch seems to be a character that you should never need stats for but that is up to each DM. If his stats are under powered or not? Meh, with some many servitor liches and such a large cache of magical items he is pretty much unapproachable.

I agree entirely. That's why I've never bothered re-statting him.

quote:

As for the Nether Scrolls found the quote:
quote:
From page 8 of "Arcane Age Netheril: Encyclopedia Arcana"
The nether scrolls were immune to all magical effects, including disintegration spells and harmful magic. They could be hammered into an unrecognizable mass, however, as was demonstrated a few times in Netheril's long history. Eventually, the magic of the nether scrolls would recombine lost pieces of itself, but the time required for such a rebirth was long (it's unknown if it has reformed currently, but the Netherese never saw the scrolls reform themselves).

The fact that they were stated as minor artifacts instead of major artifacts I think has more to do with the fact that they aren't unique rather than their power level.

Possibly... but the fact that there are only two (known) copies should be enough to ignore the "uniqueness" qualifier. They're certainly as rare as any unique artifact, given that both sets are (largely) accounted for.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  03:38:51  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Everybody forgets about Ioulaum cause he's immobile, always wanted to place his undead brain into a colossal adamantine construct, tentacles becoming like nerves.

Like dreadnoughts from Warhammer40K? Not with these technologies.
And actually that state is the best for planning deep underground under the guard of millions of minions.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  07:46:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of the illithid elder brain... I've always wondered if the illithid and the aboleth are allied toward some greater evil purpose... and if maybe that purpose has now been fulfilled in some way...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000