Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Metatext
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

darkelf15962
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2010 :  17:12:39  Show Profile  Visit darkelf15962's Homepage Send darkelf15962 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In "The Ghost King", after the death of Mystra, Deneir "writes himself" into the Metatext to stabilize magic a bit. But what is the Metatext?

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2010 :  18:00:07  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Metatext is a great tome either written or edited by the god Deneir that describes and explains how all things in the multiverse work. (Read "The Cleric Quintet" series of novels for more its origins and details.) It analyzes or breaks down all things into words in order to eliminate a bit of the abstraction of the world and make it understandable to an intellectual mind.

A loose comparison to the Real World™ would be the notion of Grand Unifying Theory, which is a theoretical formula that could help to make all major schools of physics--from quantum mechanics to Newtonian mechanics to special relativity to general relativity--perfectly consistent and harmonious with one another, instead of simply being reserved for distinct, separate types of motion.

The Real World™ Greek prefix meta- literally means "alongside, amidst, or among". One can think of the Metatext as a divine text that describes the fundamental truths, patterns, and relationships that wind throughout all of reality.

I suppose the passages about Deneir writing himself into the Metatext could be a fantastic comparison to the notion of becoming obsessed and losing oneself in one's work. When one is a magical being such as a Torilian deity, I guess that sort of blending and merging becomes literally possible.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

darkelf15962
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2010 :  18:06:09  Show Profile  Visit darkelf15962's Homepage Send darkelf15962 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that was comprehensive. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

PapaPetro
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  23:49:34  Show Profile Send PapaPetro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Close. Great summary. It's the FR version of The Logos.
If you piece it together, you reach Godhood; like weaving all the metaphysical truths of reality and thus become apart of Truth (and thus can weave truth).
Saw a similar concept with the guvners in the Planescape setting.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  00:49:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Metatext

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  04:04:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't aware of this "metatext".

It seems very similar to the books of Astinus, the immortal "librarian" who records the entire history of Krynn as it unfolds, from beginning until ending (or, rather, multiple endings). Astinus serves Gilean, Krynn's god of knowledge and Krynn's approximate counterpart of Deneir.

The metatext seems like a construct, that is obvious. But constructed by whom or what, and why?
Is it a contrivance of the writers? Another Macguffin like the Tablets of Fate which never should actually do anything other than serve as the primary motivational focus for the narrative's characters?
Is it part of a collaborative divine work which somehow sustains the Realms? Which to Deneir has the form of an elemental language or elemental text which uses words to shape the cosmos?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  12:29:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

It seems very similar to the books of Astinus, the immortal "librarian" who records the entire history of Krynn as it unfolds, from beginning until ending (or, rather, multiple endings). Astinus serves Gilean, Krynn's god of knowledge and Krynn's approximate counterpart of Deneir.

The metatext seems like a construct, that is obvious. But constructed by whom or what, and why?
Is it a contrivance of the writers? Another Macguffin like the Tablets of Fate which never should actually do anything other than serve as the primary motivational focus for the narrative's characters?
Is it part of a collaborative divine work which somehow sustains the Realms? Which to Deneir has the form of an elemental language or elemental text which uses words to shape the cosmos?

I'd personally tie it to the mystery of the magical glyphs that line the interior shell of the realmspace crystal sphere, since that's something unique to this sphere. Thus, its equitable to magic itself, since those glyphs are actual spells that people can read. His actions of trying to "write himself into the metatext" or whatever probably had to do with him trying to use a glyph on the shell or alter it, etc... Ultimately, and this is entirely me, his finagling pulls his divine realms into dweomerheart as its detaching from Toril and attaching to Abeir. Thus his disappearance for a century. Perhaps he even tried to cast a modified version of Karsus' spell as he saw Mystra fall to try and stabilize things.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

PapaPetro
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2021 :  13:45:39  Show Profile Send PapaPetro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I'd personally tie it to the mystery of the magical glyphs that line the interior shell of the realmspace crystal sphere, since that's something unique to this sphere. Thus, its equitable to magic itself, since those glyphs are actual spells that people can read. His actions of trying to "write himself into the metatext" or whatever probably had to do with him trying to use a glyph on the shell or alter it, etc... Ultimately, and this is entirely me, his finagling pulls his divine realms into dweomerheart as its detaching from Toril and attaching to Abeir. Thus his disappearance for a century. Perhaps he even tried to cast a modified version of Karsus' spell as he saw Mystra fall to try and stabilize things.

Also similar apotheosis as with the Starstone from the Pathfinder setting: a powerful artifact that allows mortals to ascend to godhood after passing a personalized godhood labyrinth.
https://pathfinder.fandom.com/wiki/Test_of_the_Starstone

Just beat the "game" and you become a deity.
Simple.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2021 :  18:26:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PapaPetro

Also similar apotheosis as with the Starstone from the Pathfinder setting: a powerful artifact that allows mortals to ascend to godhood after passing a personalized godhood labyrinth.

Simple.

I don't know that I'd call the Test of the Starstone simple, considering that only 4 people have passed it in almost 5000 years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2021 :  21:55:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by PapaPetro

Simple.

I don't know that I'd call the Test of the Starstone simple, considering that only 4 people have passed it in almost 5000 years.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start... Godmode

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2021 :  01:16:14  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good visual image for the Metatext is the code behind all virtual reality presented in a movie titled The Matrix.

To grasp the Metatext even in a small amount can transform one into a deity (as it is rumored for how Deneir ascended to divinity); the Metatext is the hidden programming underneath the surface of reality, an expression of the will that forms the Dream.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

PapaPetro
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2023 :  14:37:51  Show Profile Send PapaPetro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/profile-posts/76244/
Go to Top of Page

PapaPetro
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2023 :  15:44:47  Show Profile Send PapaPetro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start... Godmode

If only it were that easy.
Well it is easier since it's already been done. It's like climbing Everest or Going to the Moon.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2023 :  23:09:25  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://web.archive.org/web/20200314182354/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd%2Ffrcc%2F20070801

A little more on how truenamers from 3.5E fit in with the metatext
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2023 :  23:15:33  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And of course the tome of universal harmony https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Tome_of_Universal_Harmony
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000