Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The God Catcher - Spoilers most likely!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  15:21:30  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So far so good...

I like the idea of a walking staute, half buried....and turned into an apartment house. Where else on Faerun but Waterdeep eh? And the Landlady/Falcon woman, lives in a doorless shere floating above it's outstretched hand.
I also like the lead, wanna be wizard who is smart enough, but not entirely plugged in to the weave. She tough, self reliant and refuses to live off of her aunt and uncle.
The Madlady who either is a dragon trapped in human form or is just nuts....well done so far.
The only things I am not crazy about are the same things that bothered me in the other 4e novels....I am tired of hearing Spellscarred, Spellpalgue and am not real cool with all the magic users talking about rituals all over the place....what happened to just casting a spell?..Oh well.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 08 Feb 2010 15:27:03

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  15:28:31  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How could I forget my favorite part so far.....

The prologue, dipicting dragons playing a game using faerun and it's peoples as pieces...it was well written and I want to find out more.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  21:24:42  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok...the protaginst's mother was an adventurer.....last name Uskevren....leaves a chest for her daughter which has a set of theifs leather armor , a very fine dagger, oodles of expensive jewelry(all with pearls featured) and wanted posters for a theif with a penchant for pearls. ha! sounds like Tazi's offspring to me. (It might be cool, but I am hoping there is no connection.)

And a moment of hilarity(?) when the Dragon trapped in human form is reading her copy of the Draconomicon and is lamenting how they got things wrong.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 08 Feb 2010 21:25:06
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2010 :  23:49:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just picked it up. Looks good.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2010 :  15:25:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im not going to drop any serious spoilers....

I am down to the last 45 or so pages and there is so much going on that needs answeered or resolved, I have no clue how Erin is going to wrap it up! I know how I want it to go , but I couldnt cram it in this space and make it satifying.....so just knowing that Ed loved it, I can hardly wait until lunch to finish it off!

I am really liking the growth of Nestrix and Tennora.....both are now character I would love to see in a futre short story at least.

The half-orc bounty hunter is ok for me, But the story does not need him (I will never agree with the whole Silver Marches/ Obould Fiasco, so when he moaned about not being accepted by most people I just wrote him off and invested no interest in anything he does from that point on.)

I like the fact that the watch shows up rarley and on the fringe, so the author is leaving the story in the hands of her characters and not using the powerful players in Waterdeep to save the day. Even the not so secret Lord featured does not highjack the story by calling in the Blackstaff, she rolls up her sleves and gets to work.

I notice that she was given the Dragonstaff 3 years ago by The Blackstaff Sammark...so that got me curious as to the date this book is set. Is it just after he is killed or is Samark still the Blackstaff.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2010 :  16:06:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Red Walker, Ed felt the same way about the dragons' contest. A potential GREAT ingredient for many Realms-based roleplaying campaigns.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2010 :  16:54:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Red Walker, Ed felt the same way about the dragons' contest. A potential GREAT ingredient for many Realms-based roleplaying campaigns.
love,
THO

And for me, maybe a new way to look at things in the past!

Has this "game" been discussed or written about before in the realms?

Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  04:53:49  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Walker,

To answer your questions:

1. The book is set after Samark's death, though just after. Antoum refers to him as "the wizard who died" at one point, and that's the only clue.
2. This is the only FR book I know of that talks about xorvintaal. It appeared in the Monster Manual V and that was where I started from. I do know there is another FR book which will also use the Great Game, since I had to collate all my words for another author. But I leave that to them to reveal. :)

Anyway, I'm most glad to hear you liked it! Here's hoping the next one is as fun to read.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2010 :  16:24:06  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was an excellent novel! A very fun read! I hope that we see these characters again in the future. Great job Erin! I hope that we'll be seeing more Realms novels written by you.

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2010 :  20:34:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans

Hi Walker,

To answer your questions:

1. The book is set after Samark's death, though just after. Antoum refers to him as "the wizard who died" at one point, and that's the only clue.
2. This is the only FR book I know of that talks about xorvintaal. It appeared in the Monster Manual V and that was where I started from. I do know there is another FR book which will also use the Great Game, since I had to collate all my words for another author. But I leave that to them to reveal. :)

Anyway, I'm most glad to hear you liked it! Here's hoping the next one is as fun to read.

Erin,

Thanks for the answers! And your work in the Realms so far has been most entertaining.

As to here's hoping the next one is as fun to read as well, does that mean your working on another FR novel?

Edited by - The Red Walker on 24 Feb 2010 20:35:11
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2010 :  19:09:06  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very well done. I enjoyed this book a great deal. I was kind of surprised to see that the Weave was being referenced. I was under the impression that the Weave was no more. Is this a matter of mages still believing that magic still comes from the Weave, or are there still vestiges of the Weave around that can be tapped?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2010 :  03:35:43  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I understand from the 4E FR Novels is that the Weave still exists in places. When magic is used in a place where the Weave is at, you get a Spellplague flare up.

Thats how I understand it.

So IF a Mystra was to come back she could in theory reform the Weave.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2010 :  19:26:47  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to hear you've all enjoyed my story. (Tell your friends!

I am writing another Realms novel, though it won't be out until Fall 2011, so I can't say much else, except I'm very excited about it.

Caolin and Brimstone, the way it was explained to me is that, mostly, "the Weave" is a linguistic holdover. It's no longer "woven" per se. But the remnants exist and to cast spells, a spellcaster needs to harness the remaining bits. This is why implements are important--they help the caster focus. Spellplague remnants come up for unknown reasons--though any given character might think they've found a pattern in why and how they're caused, no one really knows. Although the Order of Blue Fire sure would like to!

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2010 :  21:04:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am writing another Realms novel, though it won't be out until Fall 2011, so I can't say much else, except I'm very excited about it.

Caolin and Brimstone, the way it was explained to me is that, mostly, "the Weave" is a linguistic holdover. It's no longer "woven" per se. But the remnants exist and to cast spells, a spellcaster needs to harness the remaining bits. This is why implements are important--they help the caster focus. Spellplague remnants come up for unknown reasons--though any given character might think they've found a pattern in why and how they're caused, no one really knows. Although the Order of Blue Fire sure would like to!

Excellent news, and I cannot wait until you are able to share a bit more info!

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2010 :  02:24:40  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you for the clarification. I had thought it was more of a vestigial thing rather than something that was actually functional. I am looking forward to your next work.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2010 :  14:49:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent novel Erin. Really enjoyed the concept and the story made me want to read more about the characters. Looking forward to the next one.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  13:08:34  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading god catcher it was a really fast read,I liked Nestrix a lot will we see more of her in the future?

and is xorvintaal only played by dragons?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2010 :  13:26:38  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started God Catcher tonight.

Already half way through it.

Now I just have to read my MMV...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic