Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

Sandstorm
Learned Scribe

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  19:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage  Click to see Sandstorm's MSN Messenger address Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Also, it reads in Wikipedia (yes, sadly I get much of my information from there) that Labelas Enoreth and Clangeddin Silverbeard have a grudge towards one another. Does this go any deeper than a simple elf/dwarf rivalry, or is there something deeper there?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  21:55:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
That relates to the old DC Forgotten Realm comic book series. You can read some further information in the "Demihuman Deities" sourcebook.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  22:04:38  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
I asked <elsewhere> if anyone knew the earliest canon sources for the dates of the various events involved in the Time of Troubles.

Do you recall how the design team came about the decision that the TOT should be set in the Year of Shadows?

And do you remember the first publications that announced this? I'm trying to determine when the TOT first was retconned into 1358 DR for the 2E.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Learned Scribe

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  06:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage  Click to see Sandstorm's MSN Messenger address Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Actually, the Time of Troubles was one of the most "fun" things to ever happen to the realms. I'd heard of it first when I was an amateur Realms reader and had decided to take a swing at the Avatar Trilogy. Glad was I when I would stumble upon it in other such series' as The Legend of Drizzt. Is there any catalogues of date on The Time of Troubles. Interesting bits of lore about what transpired in this period of time outside of the obvious?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29706 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  14:40:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sandstorm

Actually, the Time of Troubles was one of the most "fun" things to ever happen to the realms. I'd heard of it first when I was an amateur Realms reader and had decided to take a swing at the Avatar Trilogy. Glad was I when I would stumble upon it in other such series' as The Legend of Drizzt. Is there any catalogues of date on The Time of Troubles. Interesting bits of lore about what transpired in this period of time outside of the obvious?

For more info about what the deities were doing during the Time of Troubles, look here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  15:31:57  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Sandstorm

For more info about what the deities were doing during the Time of Troubles, look here.

I'd perform a search of the archives here at Candlekeep as well, for past scribe-based discussions on the topic.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3053 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  17:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message
for the Lychee, I ran into it last night as I went through Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, and as I suspected, they have it over in Kara-Tur and Aurora's Emporiums can get it. It is mispelled in the book, but that's ok. Personally I don't like Lychee, but got curious about it in the realms when I saw someone eat one the other day.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  17:57:38  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Dear Ed,
I recently had a chat with a longtime sf/fantasy editor with a large North American publisher, and she mentioned that you'd ghostwritten some fantasy bestsellers for ailing writers, and written more under various pseudonyms.
Can you share anything with us about which books and writers?
Or is that all contractually under wraps?
And to relate this to the Realms, how many Realms novels and/or gamebooks have you written or helped extensively with (as opposed to your lore just being mined, without your direct project involvement), that your name isn't on (except perhaps in the "thanks to" list)?
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3523 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  15:15:40  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Ander, Netherese Archmage originally from the long fallen city of Thyndlamdrivvar.

Can you share anymore about him? I found it facinating that this "calm, quiet" character, with just a small amount of stage time is most powerful spellcasters, mightier than Szass Tam and Khelbun Arunsun....was curious about how he fared through the spellplague and what he is up to know.

Also anything that can be shared about the spell-duel that blew it apart, such as who was dulling? Was Ander the "Victor" of said duel?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  23:00:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring Ed of the Greenwood's response to Longtime Lurker (the post two above this one): "Dear Ed, I recently had a chat with a longtime sf/fantasy editor with a large North American publisher, and she mentioned that you'd ghostwritten some fantasy bestsellers for ailing writers, and written more under various pseudonyms. Can you share anything with us about which books and writers? Or is that all contractually under wraps? And to relate this to the Realms, how many Realms novels and/or gamebooks have you written or helped extensively with (as opposed to your lore just being mined, without your direct project involvement), that your name isn't on (except perhaps in the "thanks to" list)?"
Ed replies:

Hi. Hoo boy. Yes, I have co-written/rescued some fantasy novels that my name doesn't appear on (ironically, some have outsold my own work, and some reviewers who seem to hate "my" stuff have praised them). No, contractually I can't identify them or provide any details (because that might help some astute readers of said details to identify them.
When it comes to Realms novels and gamebooks, I had a very high level of lore involvement in most Realms products right into the 3e era (3.5, not so much), but not necessarily a high level of PRODUCT involvement. Or to put that in everyday terms, there were times when I knew little or nothing more about forthcoming FR products than a Realms fan shopping at a FLGS (which isn't surprising, because I was always a freelancer, not a company employee), but those products were closely based on my lore, or "extra" lore I'd been asked to provide, or unused overflow from things I'd written, or private chats I had with staffers. And please understand that I do mean "involvement" and NOT "control." It was my pleasure and privilege, and often still is, to answer the equivalent of scribe's queries here at Candlekeep for FR authors or designers, behind the scenes, for a specific product or simply to give them a "feel" for something that may or may not appear in a future FR publication or spark a future FR publication. Sometimes I've been paid, sometimes not, but it's all been good, because it's all been about the Realms - - and being a busy loremaster for the Realms seems to have become my life's work, regardless of my intentions. :}
I have never controlled the direction of the Realms line, topics focussed on, or product formats, who writes what, or anythig of the sort. I have always been honoured (and I mean that as the literal truth) to be consulted, when my input was desired.
Which is a very long-winded way of saying: I had my fingers in many, many pies that didn't have my name on them. :}

So saith Ed. And there you have it . . .
Ed promises more lore-replies soon, BTW; he's cleared his desk somewhat of the towering stacks of "needed right this instant" projects for various folks.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  01:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Oh, goody! I happen to have a quick new question: are there any wharves or small private docks nearby Suzail but not in the city, on the Cormyrean south shore, circa the 1360s and 1370s? If so, are they patrolled/guarded/watched over by the authorities, most of the time? Or - - ?
Thanks,
BB
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  03:10:28  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
For all,
I recently PM'd The Hooded One inquiring about Ed's view of Gauntlgrym. As many of you are probably well aware, there has arisen what seemed to be a conflict between the lorebooks' description of the place, versus Bruenor Battlehammer's/Bob's description of the place. For a time, that conflict could simply be chalked up to Bruenor having a murky memory of Gauntlgrym lore. But in the latest novel of the same title, Jarlaxle tells Bruenor that he has found the real Gauntlgrym. Hence, my inquiry to THO/Ed.

Unfortunately, my PM Outbox did not keep a copy of my sent PM. In general, I had suggested to THO that perhaps part of the reason why we have been told about so many different types of monsters inhabiting the ruins of Gauntlgrym was because adventurers might be overly quick to claim that the ruins they had stumbled across constituted the real Gauntl.

But THO was gracious enough to invite me to post her response, here:
quote:
PM, dated 28-NOV-2010:
Hi, Beast.
Here's the truth: "Gauntulgrym" was a dwarven-built subterranean city constructed to human scale, for humans, JUST under the surface (and connected to the surface by several cavern "caravan-ramp" routes, and an air shaft up the heart of an extinct volcano, later taken over by a dragon as its lair). This city was intended as a trading-moot for humans, gnomes, and dwarves in the region (coastal Sword Coast lands) before Mirabar's rise, and was built ABOVE "Gauntlgrym," a much older dwarven city.
All of this was written up, not in all that much detail, by Ed, who precisely located (and mapped, for D&D play use) the upper city, circa 1979.
(In other words, long before Bob was writing Realms fiction.)
Ed never detailed the deeper city, but the uppermost one's map was purchased by TSR, and the "discovery" of the city was an in-play event for us Knights around 1982, echoed by later library Ed-DM play (the Company of the Gryphon), and then MUCH later RPGA D&D players, who used a tiny corner of the uppermost level of the upper city of Gauntulgrym (you may recall my post earlier in this thread about the disgusting dragon remains).
So, yes, the news about the discovery is correct, monsters and all; the news-spreaders are simply unaware (as are, frankly, MOST "alive-now" dwarves in the Realms) that there are two places, one linked to the other (note: Ed tells me my "above" refers more to their depth into the Underdark, not necessarily that the two places are EXACTLY above each other).
So from the first, Ed's lore allows for both the confusion and Bob's freedom to detail a "new" (or "the original") Gauntlgrym, and has always done so (the dwarven name is "Gauntlgrym," the Common Tongue mispronounciation of it is "Gauntulgrym"). It's one of the many, many little complexities of Ed's Realms that TSR has smoothed away or ignored, to banish confusion (like both a demon and a devil being called "Ashtaroth," much to the chagrin of careless PC summoners), over the years.
Ed doesn't mind Bob doing a different Gauntlgrym in the slightest, BTW. He and Bob are old and good friends, and Ed believes that writers tell better tales when given maximum freedom to spin stories.
BTW, feel free to republish this. Ed doesn't mind at all. Ed suspects that some of the confusion arose because younger replacement Books editorial staff were simply unaware of what older, retired/dead veterans (like Bill Larson) knew, or forgot. Most written company records (probably including Ed's Gauntlgrym maps and notes) were destroyed when TSR shut down and Wizards acquired the company and moved the "survivors" out to Renton.
I hope this helps.
love,
THO

So, at least one of the ruins identified by various adventuring parties--that found by the Company of the Gryphon--is the real deal (the overcity, I guess one could call it?). This would apparently be the location of the lorebooks, the history of which George Krashos and others detailed so painstakingly in Lost Empires of Faerun.

But this leaves us with another older, wholly-dwarven fortress/city ruin site below that ruin, which lay hidden until Bob/et al rediscovered it in 1451 DR.

I suppose that dwarves never paid much heed to adventurers' tales of a rediscovered "Gauntul" intended for humans, instead preferring to reminesce upon a proper dwarven settlement: "Gauntl". Leaving the pretentious humans be could've allowed them to foolishly lay claim to more than one would-be Gauntul, which could help explain why we have so many different types of critters supposedly haunting the same durn place...

BTW, <a map of sorts of Gauntulgrym/Gauntlgrym> can be found in the Neverwinter e-zine, though I do not know if this was based in any way on Ed's earlier maps. It does appear to depict a fortress/throne/path to the forges that is separated, vaguely, from two upper and lower city levels.

Thanks, THO/Ed! I love being able to read about both the lorebooks' tales and Bob's novels' tales, without having to pit one against the other.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 01 Dec 2010 03:11:22
Go to Top of Page

Elseenon
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  04:50:58  Show Profile  Visit Elseenon's Homepage  Send Elseenon a Yahoo! Message Send Elseenon a Private Message
Can anyone point me to the old word files of Ed's Answers which were hosted on Kuje's former website? While the pdfs are lovely, it was good to be able to search a single composite document.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  05:10:14  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elseenon

Can anyone point me to the old word files of Ed's Answers which were hosted on Kuje's former website? While the pdfs are lovely, it was good to be able to search a single composite document.

I think I'm the only one [aside from Kuje] with copies of those old files. I'm still compiling the 2010 file, but the rest are all up-to-date.

Do you have a valid email I can send them to?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Elseenon
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  05:53:42  Show Profile  Visit Elseenon's Homepage  Send Elseenon a Yahoo! Message Send Elseenon a Private Message
I do. The clicky one on my posts is valid. Thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  07:20:08  Show Profile  Click to see Sandro's MSN Messenger address Send Sandro a Private Message
quote:
Most written company records (probably including Ed's Gauntlgrym maps and notes) were destroyed when TSR shut down and Wizards acquired the company and moved the "survivors" out to Renton.

Many thanks for the Gauntlgrym clarification, though; I was aware that RAS's use of it contradicted existing lore (or appeared to), but it was such a good story it didn't bother me much. Still, good to know everything still "works" -- that's one of the best things about the Realms, I think: there's always a way to make things work, even without (necessarily) falling back on the unreliable narrator aspect of it all.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."

Edited by - Sandro on 01 Dec 2010 07:25:40
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  20:26:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, The depth of Ed's lore has always been the saving grace of the Realms. Wheels within wheels, layers upon layers...and you only have to use the ones you want to.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

uaintjak
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  23:26:08  Show Profile  Visit uaintjak's Homepage Send uaintjak a Private Message
One of the things I always loved when I purchased Realms-related items authored by Ed was when he would include information about adventuring companies (much like he did in the Grey Box book). It's also one reason I'm so obsessed with the Knights. Yes I can (and do) make up my own companies, but I've always liked using Ed's for flavor, since they are part of his creation.

Any chance we'd ever see some information on the old adventuring companies that Ed created and others have played? Not just info on the Knights of Myth Drannor, but lore and membership rolls of say, The Knights of the Unicorn, The Company of the Gryphon (and other library groups he's run), and other ones he's invented through the years.

Oh, and along those lines, while I'm thinking about it...in the Heroes Lorebook (I forget if that's actually the name, the one where the Knights of Myth Drannor and also the Company of Eight are detailed), I know that the Company of Eight are not Ed's creation, but their backstory (the written part before the members are detailed) seemed distinctly...Edian, I guess, for lack of a better term. Especially the names of former Company members (Chiaelin Frendel, Mirthal Aendryr, and Kaleene Thalwood in particular). Did Ed have any part in that?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  02:16:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
uaintjak, I don't think Ed had anything to do with the Company of Eight. However, there's nothing like asking The Man himself, so I've relayed your query to Ed for a definitive reply. I hope it'll come soon, but no guarantees...Ed's plunged into a flurry of busy-ness this week . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  02:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I heard some gossip today about a certain Ed of the Greenwood working with a certain George "Railroad" M . . . any truth to it? Anything you can tell us at all?
Or more wild fancy, on someone's part?
Inquiring minds . . .
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  02:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Dear Ed,
I was just re-reading EL MUST DIE! (GREAT book, thank you again) and some of the names of characters instage in that revel in the Palace near the beginning of the book sounded a wee bit familiar. Have you used any of them in Realms adventures you've run at conventions, in the past?
Thank you in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  02:22:26  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Ed and THO,
is the contest to guess the author of FILFAERIL BOUND AND WILLING still open?
I can't even remember if I've used up all my allotted guesses, yet.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2384 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  05:04:47  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed. That bit about you ghost-writing other fantasy books is fascinating. As if you didn't have enough projects going that everyone already knows about! I'm going to poke a bit around the edges of this one, but if you can't say anything, just let me know and I'll subside.

Is there any way enterprising scribes could figure out which books these were? I understand that you probably wouldn't be able to hint, broadly or otherwise, but are there places we could look, people we could ask? And a more general question, how would you generally be approached to ghost-write, and how have you approached such projects in the past?

Many thanks, as always.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

613 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  13:14:17  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Most written company records (probably including Ed's Gauntlgrym maps and notes) were destroyed when TSR shut down and Wizards acquired the company and moved the "survivors" out to Renton.

Woah, was this accidentally or intentional? Does the NDA’s still apply to something intentionally destroyed?

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  15:34:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
NDAs would still apply, because Ed provided this lore in response to a TSR request, while he was being paid as a consultant.
(Oh, and I didn't mean to imply that corporate written records were destroyed, just printed notes etc. for "past projects" [TSR-published material].)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000