Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2010 :  15:22:32  Show Profile  Visit Knight of the Gate's Homepage  Send Knight of the Gate a Yahoo! Message Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
Many thanks, Ed and THO! That's some tasty lore, right there: And into my 'DM's notebook' these two go....

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2010 :  15:24:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everybody.
Gavinfoxx, your queries are in Ed's hands for answering, but as a tiny start for a reply, I can tell you a little re. this: "what are some of the primary religious rituals that a travelling Druid of Mielikki would do each month?"
Ed has told us often (and we've roleplayed it, being as Florin Falconhand venerates Mielikki and has a close, special relationship with her) that travelling druids of Mielikki are duty-bound to call out dryads and aid them in small daily needs (i.e. perform simple tasks that the dryad by her nature cannot, to ease her life, remove sources of her irritation, etc.), and to do the same for small forest-dwelling creatures. Often this is something as simple as hampering uncaring woodcutters (such as those who seek to burn off underbrush to permanently clear forested areas, or to make their felling easier, as opposed to selecting individual trees and taking them down and out with a minimal disturbance of surroundings) by spell-creating boggy conditions and an incredible growth of tangled brambles and thornbushes, to force said cutters to clear all of this new, wet, won't burn well growth before they continue to cut back the forest. Treants are also to be aided, and unicorns and dryads defended by all means (i.e. full hurling of offensive druidic spells, mustering allies against foes of unicorns or dryads, etc.).
This reply comes from my play experience with Ed as DM, and from notes I made during play and talks with Ed, of what Ed said. He'll add more when he can . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Learned Scribe

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  02:34:13  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage  Click to see Sandstorm's MSN Messenger address Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Ed! Quick! What instrument would a dwarven bard use?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  02:58:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Sandstorm.
Ed says:

Hand-drums (like a real-world tomtom), glaur (pipes), and a klarra (bowed seven-metal-stringed "short dulcimer" instrument).

So saith Ed. There you go!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  03:11:28  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Oooh! Ed, I bet you knew that'd draw my attention.

Any chance you can share some further info on the "klarra" -- such as where it's primarily used, and by whom, etc?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  03:29:40  Show Profile  Visit Knight of the Gate's Homepage  Send Knight of the Gate a Yahoo! Message Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oooh! Ed, I bet you knew that'd draw my attention.

Any chance you can share some further info on the "klarra" -- such as where it's primarily used, and by whom, etc?

And what sort of sound does that produce? I'm familiar with a dulcimer, but the bowing and metal strings (I would imagine) would add a hollow, haunting sound... I can hear dwarven dirge-chants echoing endlessly in caverns...

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Learned Scribe

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  04:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage  Click to see Sandstorm's MSN Messenger address Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Nice nice. Me and my buddy are partaking in a premade campaign this weekend, originally designed for four 3rd levels, but instead we're running two 6th levels. I'm running a CN Dwarven 4/2 Bard/Rogue. I want to get him just right. So I think I shall go with the Klarra. Sounds fun :)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  15:39:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! Sage and Knight of the Gate, I'll prod a reply out of Ed, never fear, but in the meantime, yes, the klarra can sound mournful (lone chanter at a distance) and like a dirge, but it can also snarl (Ed once described it as: "that last guitar wail JUST before the slow, penultimate climactic chords of the chorus, in the movie soundtrack of JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR [in the overture, the chords being the "JE-sus Christ, JE-sus Christ" motif])." For those not familiar with that music, I'll try to get him to provide some other musical examples.
In short, the dwarves use it for mournful sounds, but also for defiant "we shall endure" musical effects.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3066 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  16:11:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all! Sage and Knight of the Gate, I'll prod a reply out of Ed, never fear, but in the meantime, yes, the klarra can sound mournful (lone chanter at a distance) and like a dirge, but it can also snarl (Ed once described it as: "that last guitar wail JUST before the slow, penultimate climactic chords of the chorus, in the movie soundtrack of JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR [in the overture, the chords being the "JE-sus Christ, JE-sus Christ" motif])." For those not familiar with that music, I'll try to get him to provide some other musical examples.
In short, the dwarves use it for mournful sounds, but also for defiant "we shall endure" musical effects.
love,
THO

Not sure if this is the one you're talking about or not

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Learned Scribe

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  18:27:15  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage  Click to see Sandstorm's MSN Messenger address Send Sandstorm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Im guessing the Hand Drums would be more of a "We shall cracketh thee goblin skulls" musical effect?
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  18:51:28  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
I'd say more lie a beat for marching, or for striking stones with picks or cleaving hammers...
BA
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  01:10:43  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
As in, when mining or delving (= digging out underground tunnels, storage caverns, and abodes)?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  01:12:02  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
As in, when mining and delving, yes.
BA
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  11:21:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
God, BA and BB, I was kinda confused for a second there. I thought either of you made multiple posts.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  18:27:44  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
And now... return to relevance and music. One of my players wants a koto for his character, so I am obliged to ask if an equivalent exists in the Realms?
For those who don't know what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koto_(musical_instrument)

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  01:58:03  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I'm planning on attending this new convention in Toronto, SFContario, later this month. I know Ed was invited to attend as a panelist, and was planning on going; Ed, has that changed? What days/panels will you been appearing on/in? And will there be a chance to "chat Realms"?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Learned Scribe

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  04:33:56  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage  Click to see Sandstorm's MSN Messenger address Send Sandstorm a Private Message
aaaah no way!!! im 3 hours from Toronto. Whats the full details on that?
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  15:38:44  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
Hello All,

I've more questions for THO and Ed regarding Cormyr's War Wizards. Thank you very much in advance for your consideration and response! :)

Did Cormyr ever place much importance in keeping track of the deeds of its War Wizards and setting all that information down in writing? I.e. not just when they joined and what their Wizard Mark was, but when each member of the brotherhood attained rank or recognition, when and how they died and some mention of their history of service or betrayal?

If the Crown were in dire need of a reliable history of past War Wizards, could it look to the scribes and sages of the Royal Court for information or would they be forced to consult master bards and/or Court Heralds? Does the current Royal Mage have some sort of gift or ability passed on from prior Royal Mages that allows for a kind of instant recall of this information?

To me the novels seem to depict War Wizards constantly on the move, with nary a chance to stop and relate to someone else the “why” behind their decisions (unless they’re telling someone, “because the Lord High Mage of all Cormyr said so” in order to get some specific thing done), before they get blasted to bits in battle or fade into obscurity. So...do War Wizards have the time for journal writing? Were elder War Wizards lucky enough to survive into old age ever encouraged to write, or discouraged from writing, their memoirs?

Lastly, were War Wizards at any point in Cormyr’s history required to give tissue samples (hair, nails, bit of skin or a chunk of flesh) as part of the process of joining the War Wizard ranks?

Thanks again!

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 05 Nov 2010 15:39:46
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  19:50:26  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
I think it would be easy to manipulate written word.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  20:13:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Sandstorm, I know Ed will be attending SFCONTARIO from around midday Saturday, November 20th to mid-day Sunda the 21st, and doing four or five panels during that time.
The con is at a downtown Ramada in Toronto, the Ramada Plaza Toronto Hotel at 300 Jarvis Street, underground parking onsite (costs extra). Phone (416) 977-4825 ext. 0 or 1-800-567-2233, but these two numbers get you a central Ramada reservation booking service, not the hotel itself. I'll get you full details of registration cost and Ed's schedule as soon as I have them.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  20:24:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Mr. Miscellany, here's a first stab at some answers, from me (Ed will bat cleanup, in my wake, when he has the opportunity):
War Wizard writings are secret, scattered and hidden, coded, and sparse: forbidden about most topics, though all of the things you mention are recorded somewhere, somehow (Alaphondar and his predecessors are one place to ask for them, as is the current Court Wizard, which from Vangerdahast onwards has been a post held by the Royal Magician rather than, as formerly, a separate one).
No, there's no "instant recall" in any Royal Magician's head. There ARE some "magically-recorded remembrances" captured in items that can be accessed by anyone with sufficient skill-at-Art, who knows where the items are and how to handle them. "Some," I said, not a lot. There's no such thing as an existing coherent and comprehensive history of the War Wizards, so if the Crown for some reason wanted such a thing, they'd have to try to cobble it together by asking all sorts of people. Vangerdahast is really the font of knowledge for the "modern" Wizards of War, and he's still around, but getting to speak to him, and even more importantly convincing him to give truthful answers, is going to be VERY difficult for anyone but the reigning monarch . . . and even they will have no way of knowing, most of the time, if he's lying or omitting important details of the truth.
The novels depict the War Wizards dashing about not giving reasons largely because the novels tend to highlight crises/moments of peril/combat and confrontation. However, the War Wizards are NOT in the habit of explaining themselves, just as real-world police and government agents will only reveal or share the information they want to, not submit to on the street interrogations by any average citizen they may speak with. Journal writing by active (not retired) War Wizards is forbidden unless it's kept coded and hidden, and even retired War Wizards risk reprisals if they reveal state secrets (under some Royal Magicians and some monarches, that also seems to extend to "relating anything embarrassing about us").
All War Wizards give vials of blood as part of their initiation or shortly before or after. I'll leave it to Ed about hair, etc. because I'm not certain of the details.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  20:58:18  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
Thank you very much THO!
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Learned Scribe

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  01:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage  Click to see Sandstorm's MSN Messenger address Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Thanks THO, I appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  03:13:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Sandstorm. Haven't managed to catch Ed yet, for his schedule, but the con site is: www.sfcontario.ca and the con registration seems to be $55.00 for the weekend ($42 for teen/young adult, $30 for a child).
When Ed and I talked about the con, he was slated to be on 3 panels on Saturday and 1 on Sunday, but that may have changed as the con organizers firmed up their schedule.
I'll check with Ed and get you the details ASAP.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  18:22:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Sandstorm (and anyone else interested):
Ed's "final" panel schedule is:

1 pm Saturday in Ballroom A: THE DECLINE OF THE WRITTEN EMPIRE
with e-books, 3000 channel television, web casts, and Kindle, is the "book" on the way out? And how do you get an author's signature on an iBook? (moderated by Beverley Bambury; Alison Baird, Ed Greenwood, Sandra Kasturi, Karl Schroeder)

3 pm Saturday in Ballroom B/C: EXPOSITION VERSUS CHARACTER
At a Clarion workshop, Michael Swanwick said "All writing is about finding the correct balance between dinosaurs and sodomy," referring to the balance between science (setting/exposition) and fiction (characters and plot). John Campbell argued that too much character got in the way of the science. Was he right? How should authors balance these aspects of a story? Has this changed over the history of science fiction? (moderated by Hayden Trenholm; Ed Greenwood, Violette Malan, Robert Sawyer, Caro Soles)

5 pm Saturday in Gardenview: LEARNING TO WRITE
Is it possible to learn how to write? Why does Clarion enjoy such a great reputation when the fact is that two-thirds of those who attend it never publish a single word professionally? Aren't writers workshops just the blind leading the blind? What should you look for in a creative-writing course? Will you learn more about writing by reading the dozen or so good books out there in how to write SF, or by reading a dozen true classic novels, such as To Kill A Mockingbird and The Catcher In The Rye? (moderated by Tony Pi; Ed Greenwood, Ira Nayman, David Nickle, Jana Paniccia)

11 am Sunday in Ballroom B/C: FAMILY TREES OF FANTASY
There's an obvious line of descent from Tolkien to modern fantasy, but there are also other, less obvious ones; Hope Mirlees to Susanna Clarke, Fritz Leiber to Michael Moorcock, etc. How does first generation fantasy influence what we read and write today? (moderated by Teresa Nielsen Hayden; James Alan Gardner, Ed Greenwood, Michael Swanwick, Jo Walton)

So there you have it. That last one should be fun.
Knowing Ed, he probably won't be at the con much before his first panel or more than an hour or so after the last one ends, but he always likes to chat, and should be "around" on Saturday evening . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000