Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  12:10:18  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
I just finished reading Swords of Dragonfire. I'm sure THO can answer this herself, but did the Knights in Ed's campaign (as run by the players) have similar interactions with the Purple Dragons of Cormyr (all the distrust and all)???

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  18:49:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, yes, indeed. The Purple Dragons are predisposed to be suspicious of adventurers who have a personal "in" with the royals (where did they come from, how did they get this tie, how will they [mis]use it in future?), and Vangey sharpened that suspicion to a cutting edge with HIS attitude towards us.
Some courtiers liked us and some didn't, some War Wizards ditto, and some Purple Dragons ditto (but Purple Dragon officers were of two sorts: commoners who'd risen from merit and experience and kept an eye on us as adventurers but weren't automatically hostile towards us...and nobles who were jealous of us or disliked us because of our close association with the royals.
None of which was helped by the habit some Obarskyrs fell into of using us as a strike force of not-so-secret "outside normal channels" agents, when it suited them.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  18:52:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Regarding Mr_Miscellany's query "Are there any noble families of Cormyr who are (or were) known for producing wizards, sorcerers and the like? Did any noble families become ennobled through the acts of the mages in their family?"
Ed tells me the answer to both questions is: "Yes, but only a handful." He promises us a proper answer soon.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  18:56:35  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Ooo! That sounds interesting. THO, can you share a story or two of the Knights being used as "deniable asset troubleshooters" by Obarskyrs? And how willingly did you all go along with such things?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  19:17:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Sooooo... your PCs were actually Assets that could be readily burned if necessity dictated?

I'm seeing a darker side to Ed, now. I know Cormyr had its own 'secret police' (The High Knights), but I never really thought of them as having a CIA-like agenda before.

So they practiced such things as infiltration, 'sleeper-agents', and misdirection? Then the war-wizards become like the Marvel-Comics Shield agents - the 'elite' of the 'black-ops'?

I LIKE that Cormyr has a DARKER side... Smeagol likesss it a LOT, he DOESSS.... errr... I mean Mark.

{and why do I now have the uncontrollable urge to rub my hands together, or perhaps twirl my mustache?}

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  19:40:39  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Do you even have a mustache?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  20:59:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Yes, but it is currently un-twirlable.

I will have to remedy that, since I will be once-again donning my 'ebil DM' hat.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  23:14:50  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Yeah, there's nothing quite like a DM who can twirl his mustache right there at the table. You always know you're in for a good time...

Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  23:42:09  Show Profile Send see a Private Message
Is there a particular reason why all the temples and shrines in Suzail are east of the Palace? Draw a N-S line that runs through the middle of the Royal Palace, and the Towers of Good Fortune, the Silent Room, and the shrines to Lliira, Malar, Milil, Oghma, and Tempus are all east of the line. Is there some law or curse or whatnot that dictates this, or is it just coincidence?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  04:15:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
See, Ed tells me it's not a law (or city zoning; no such thing exists, beyond the absolute power of the Crown to expropriate land and structures for particular, usually wartime, purposes) or curse that caused this.
It was the result of clergy buying large but decaying warehouses, paddocks, and smithies on the eastern side of the city (as the former and latter shut down, and the paddocks were relocated outside the walls), razing them, and building newer, grander, and larger temples and shrines there (relocating from older, more modest, and more cramped central city premises).
There ARE shrines to other deities in the central city blocks (often "upstairs" or "downcellar" in buildings that have other uses [shops, usually] on their ground floors).
In general, the dockside areas are warehousing and fish-packing and drydock facilities rather than housing; the nobles and the rich live in northernmost Suzail, north of the Promenade if possible and close to the Palace if you're wealthy enough and highest and haughty amongst the nobility, westwards as your wealth and power go down; the poor live in westernmost Suzail (slums along the inside the southwestern end of the city wall); military along the easternmost wall, particularly closest to the harbor; and everyone else lives in the middle, the most expensive (and grandest) properties being either easterly, or close to the Promenade (or both).

So saith Ed (I've paraphrased him here very lightly).
love,
THO
P.S. He tells me he was busy doing some hush-hush "rush" Realms work today . . . so it's still going on, scribes! Bwooohahahahah, and so forth...
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  07:25:18  Show Profile Send see a Private Message
Thank you!

And excellent. Shalasstalla of Azuth is definitely building her new temple in the center-west, then.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  16:56:08  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
Maybe Ed would like to reveal something (anything) about the child of Myrmeen Lhal and Vangerdahast? A friend has asked me to stat him(her?) out, but I have no idea... AFAIR the last appearance of him was with Myrmeen still pregnant.
So, is the kid more of a wizard or a ranger? Or maybe something entirely different? Is it a boy or a girl? What would he/she do in Cormyr around 1400 DR? Does he work with Alusair/Azoun V? Is he/she in the court? Or does he stay at Arabel?
Thanks in advance,
Zireael

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  18:01:21  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

1346: Naval Battle of Lisen Sands.

Does anyone know more about this?

That's occur on the River Lis, but what else?

Who are the fighters?

I ask this in another thread and the scribes send me here...

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Time to ask Ed about this, in his thread. I have vague memories of this being discussed in a hallway at a Milwaukee-era GenCon (vague because I didn't take notes, darn it), and Ed saying then it was part of the struggle between Mulmaster and the other Moonsea ports (e.g. Zhentil Keep, Melvaunt, etc.) for control of the River Lis, but that both swamp monsters AND elves were involved in the fighting, because both of those groups quite rightly (Ed's opinion) were of the opinion that the Lis and its swamps were THEIR territory, not human. Barges and shallow-draft ships went up and down the Lis, aided by magic and sometimes hampered by magic (e.g. cast by the elves).
Anyway, that's what I remember, but Ed obviously knows all about this (hardly surprising, being as he created everything I've mentioned, probably including the battle).
BB

What about Blueblade's vague memories ? Very good or not?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  18:27:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Asharak, Blueblade is dead-on correct, according to Ed (who is writing a proper reply for us all, but got delayed by that "rush" Realms work I mentioned).
More from him, ASAP.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  18:41:07  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Asharak, Blueblade is dead-on correct, according to Ed (who is writing a proper reply for us all, but got delayed by that "rush" Realms work I mentioned).
More from him, ASAP.
love,
THO

Thank you very much my Lady.

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  18:44:52  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Regarding the skyship trades/pirates of 4e, who used to be Halruaans: how regular/widely known are their trade-stops in, say, the Dragon Coast region, or Cormyr or Sembia? DO they make stops/landings/trading-moots? And if so, anywhere, or out in the countryside away from cities (and Watch, and taxes, and inspections) only?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2010 :  01:44:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Lovely Lady,

Can Ed (or yourself) share anything about the time Elminster spent in Thay?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2010 :  21:27:35  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Finally got my hands on a copy of Spellfire and reread it, and of course, had some questions:
Why is Ashemmi described as male? Is this a mistake, a different Ashemmi, or a magical form she took on for convenience?
Who was Aermhar of the Tangletrees, and why did he give his speech to the council in the Elven Court about being like the hawk in the Year of the Hooded Falcon (1291 DR)?
Did El and the Simbul's relationship really only begin so late (1357 DR, if I'm not mistaken)? I always imagined it began earlier, if not much earlier. Or is this something that was changed later on? Also, why do they seem so willing to fight? El speaks of having to prevent the Simbul from killing Shandril had she not agreed. This does not seem to fit in with what I read of the Simbul, so again I must wonder - is this an earlier version of the Simbul, with less madness adn rage and more sadness and loneliness?
Finally, reminded by Spellfire but unconnected: Is Asper dead in the present-day Realms?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2010 :  22:52:38  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Methinks that Ashemmi question has been answered before, in previous years of this thread. Ed's said some things about El and The Simbul, too (and there was a flashback scene in ELMINSTER IN HELL about their first meeting, if I remember rightly).
BA
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  00:45:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I dealt with the Ashemmi as a guy continuity gaffe in my Semmemmon DRAGON magazine article.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  12:19:03  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Ah, interesting. In my searches in the archives, I also found this:
quote:
Ashemmi used a male disguise for most of her career

But thanks anyway.
Another Question regarding Spellfire (this time I looked through all the So Saith Ed Archives, so I'm pretty sure nobody asked it):
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One:
Elminster figured out how to manipulate the Weave to call forth spellfire. Any of the Chosen who became sufficiently attuned to the Weave (by using it for centuries), and took the time to experiment and study, could theoretically duplicate what Elminster did, and end up with spellfire too. Several of them (no, I'm NOT going to reveal which ones) already have. Such Chosen can avoid being blown apart by balancing Weave energies around themselves (and so teleport AND have spellfire).

First of all, any chance we may now learn who are these Chosen who can wield Spellfire, what with some Chosen having died since the Spellplague?
Second of all, in Spellfire, El mentions Shoulree Talaeth, a female wielder of Spellfire when Myth Drannor was bright. When asked by Lhaeo if she walks yet, he answers that he doubts it, but "perhaps some who joined the Long sleep years ago stir now." Anything that can be shared about Shoulree, her status and the Long Sleep?
Lastly, a hypothetical question which revives my campaign like a phoenix: Theoretically, could Symrustar Auglamyr use Spellfire, Silver Fire, balance the energies of the Weave and Teleport, thus 'avoid being blown apart' (which suspiciously enough, is how her death/disappearance is described - 'an explosion of fire across the skies')?

EDIT: Also, what can Ed tell us about Jerenneth Ghaluin of Neverwinter, who penned 'Tavern Dancing My Way to Wizardly Might'?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Edited by - Menelvagor on 22 Dec 2010 15:08:24
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  14:30:02  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Guns of Alkenstar: part 2

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  15:11:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed remains busy busy busy with behind-the-scenes Realms work, but surfaced long enough under the prodding of my e-mails to tender a response to Menelvagor's question: "Theoretically, could Symrustar Auglamyr use Spellfire, Silver Fire, balance the energies of the Weave and Teleport, thus 'avoid being blown apart' (which suspiciously enough, is how her death/disappearance is described - 'an explosion of fire across the skies')?"
Ed replies:

YES, Menelvagor, she very much COULD. There, that wasn't too unsubtle a hint, now, was it? ;}

So saith Ed. Dedicated to salvaging characters from "Obscure Deaths" (old TSR Dragonlance joke) everywhere.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  15:18:37  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
"Also, what can Ed tell us about Jerenneth Ghaluin of Neverwinter, who penned 'Tavern Dancing My Way to Wizardly Might'?"
Okay, Menelvagor, where did THIS particular Ed-gem come from? (As in, what product? Page number? etc.)
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  19:19:04  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
BH- Spellfire, chapter 17. The quote that opens the chapter comes from that book.
Thanks for the quick answer, milady, though of course, it doesn't mean what I really want it to - that she actually did so, especially since I have no answer about whether she wielded Spellfire. Nevertheless, one is grateful for any response, especially so quick, and will wait for more lore...

Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  20:17:50  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Have you ever talked with Wizards about possible epublishing of revised and expanded "rules-edition free" versions of the VOLO'S GUIDES? I for one would love to have background lore about a town or region that I could access at will...
BA
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  00:48:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Baleful Avatar, I'm afraid you have run BANG head-on into a very solid-looking NDA.
Which should tell you something about whether or not eVolo's Guides, or equivalents, have been considered or discussed, shouldn't it?
(Ahem.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  04:41:05  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Hrm... much afoot, of late... verry interesting... I meant to contribute my two coppers to the following bit on my last visit, but got sidetracked... and my visits are sparse and sporadic at this time of year, due to my employment in the electronics retail industry.

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
Just as I suspected. But thanks, anyway. At least now I know it's not only Alassra who keeps the Reds' hands off her realm. I would have blamed it to the zulkirs' division. But there's only one ruler now: Tam. So the inaction must be because of someone or something else entirely...

I would assume that Larloch would step up to the plate and keep Tam in check, maybe this is his mission from Mystra and why the Chosen left him alone?

Of course the Covenant may have reformed with the old and/or new members and are renewing old rivalries?

Just a few random thoughts

Cheers

Damian

Damian has some very interesting random thoughts, but my thoughts go in a different direction entirely... I suspect that the old gods of the Yuir still watch over the realm, and not just those who merged with other powers as a survival strategy. As has been said before, gods are never truly dead...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  04:53:21  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
I'll second that! Long live the Dark Maiden!!! (Slinks off to hide.)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

manaeater
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  04:59:51  Show Profile Send manaeater a Private Message
Hello again Ed and THO i posted a question a week ago but still dont have the answer. Maybe you missed it so i will post again:

I wanted to ask some quetions about eilistraeeans:

What is generaly the role of fathers in eilistraeean communities(for example:do the drow males care or help to raise the children)?

Who usually start the realationship among eilistraeeans :male or female drow?

Why some males go and "worship" Eilistraee if she doesn't even permit (most of them)them to become priests and they aren't treated as equals
I had an impression after reading some novels (Lady penitent for example) that that some priestess look on males like second class citizens and some priestess don't tend to know much about their fathers.
Thank you Ed and THO the information will be very helpfull!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000