Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2010 :  02:57:40  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage  Send Dracons a Yahoo! Message Send Dracons a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

And just to add fuel to the fire,
the Man is a very sly one. I believe that Ed
has a plan to get things revealed when he passes on.
(sorry to be morbid) Just my impression from
his words over the years. Take it as u will.

Doubtful. He has no power. If anything, Wizards will take the chance to gloat that they will now never reveal anything more, nor accept any more lore and that's all there is.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2010 :  03:36:40  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Side discussions do not belong in this scroll.
I'm inclined to agree.

I've been kind of lax in maintaining the "on-topic" nature of this scroll. So, folks, I'm going to kindly remind you all that the recent bout of side-discussions have to stop. It's simply taking me too much time to filter through all the non-Ed material when I'm compiling his replies.

Thus, if you wish to discuss something further that doesn't immediately pertain to Ed-lore, or to this scroll in general, feel free to open a scroll on another shelf here at Candlekeep.

Thank you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2010 :  18:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One:
Sigh. Your question (and others like it) is EXACTLY what any author currently writing for Wizards is not allowed to answer without editorial approval, which will almost always be denied for matters of this sort.
I can't recall having written anything much about Symrustar for publication recently.
I've known what I think happened to her in her later life for quite a while now, but publishing lore about such matters hasn't been solely "up to me" for about twenty-five years now.

Hmmm... I actually was rather certain this would be the answer, but was willing to gamble on the 10% of uncertainty... too bad. Sad to know that nothing's been written on Symrustar lately, but I'll take comfort in knowing that that doesn't mean that nothing will happen in the future, and from a tiny possible hint - he said "in her later life" - which makes me believe she's still alive, and not dead.
Actually, according to waht you told Dracons about posing adroit questions, let me try my hand: Does "in her later life" apply to before the Battle of Shadusk Glade or after?
Also, does this answer also apply to my question about Caerthynna? Or (much more likely) Ed's busy with other important stuff, family and holiday cheer?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2010 :  21:40:35  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
So, Ed:
Did Mr. Salvatore spill anything about his next book? I've been hearing rumors of "Neverwinter Wood" being the title or working title...but anything more?
And do you coordinate things, these days, when both of you are writing Realms novels at the same time?
BB
Go to Top of Page

jimbo32
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  07:37:13  Show Profile  Visit jimbo32's Homepage Send jimbo32 a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,
A couple of questions:

First, is there anything more you can tell us about the Seven of Silver? History, composition, whatever - anything would be great. I wouldn't say no to the words for "Seven Silvers Falling" either - if such a thing exists. :) I've always thought that their sacrifice was one of the more heroic from the Fall - despite the fact that the number of lives saved wasn't terribly high. (This is assuming that the Seven are your creation - I can't recall where they [and the ballad] were originally referenced).

Second, I recently noticed an unanswered question from a few years ago that may have gotten lost in the shuffle. Regarding your excellent and touching "First Quest" article from Dragon #218 - are there any Realms NPC's based on or inspired by your first DM? Also, judging by the article, September had a serious impact on both your life and your view of RPG's. Do you think the Realms would be much different without her influence?

Thanks in advance :)

Oh, and from a fellow Canadian - I hope you both have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Edited by - jimbo32 on 10 Oct 2010 07:53:23
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  09:59:18  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message
Hi again!

This time my question concerns Flamsterd, the mage who set up a tower in the Moonshaes and then decided to sink it, along with part of his island, to the bottom of the sea so he could study in peace surrounded in a giant bubble of air.

I wanted to know if there's any additional lore on Flamsterd and his relationship with Elminster, and whether he got up to anything above the surface, post his descent beneath the waves.

Thanking you

Matthew

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  14:18:31  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Bones
This time my question concerns Flamsterd, the mage who set up a tower in the Moonshaes and then decided to sink it, along with part of his island, to the bottom of the sea so he could study in peace surrounded in a giant bubble of air.

Great post Matthew, I too would like to hear more about Flamsterd. Especially what he was doing post 299DR (from the Brian James' Moonshae timeline) until we hear about him in the Moonshae books a thousand years later. The mystery of where he came from would be interesting to know as well,(Netherese perhaps?)

There is a post by Ed here that answers a little more about him
http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0507a&L=realms-l&P=2086

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 10 Oct 2010 14:20:03
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  15:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
I just remembered - Mr. Greenwood, your article on Llurth Dreier is just brilliant!

So here come two further questions inspired by it:
1. Is anything more known about lithidrow and dark skum? I'm thinking of making a 3.5 conversion of these creatures, they sound lovely.
2. What is known about Telantiwar? How many drow inhabited it? Who ruled etc? We all know where it was and when it fell, but not much more.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Zireael

EDIT: Anything known on Nathglaryst of Undraeth except from the bits here?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/

Edited by - Zireael on 10 Oct 2010 18:47:46
Go to Top of Page

GazzaM
Seeker

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  22:59:48  Show Profile  Visit GazzaM's Homepage Send GazzaM a Private Message
Where is this article on Llurth ?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  23:25:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I'm pretty sure Eric Boyd wrote the Llurth Dreier article for Polyhedron. His "take" on the place was subsequently tweaked by Rich Baker in the 3E 'Underdark' sourcebook.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13119 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  23:34:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Could Elminster be Flamsterd?

Not near sources so I'm not sure how viable that theory might be. The time-frame seems about right, though.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

133 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  02:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Could Elminster be Flamsterd?

Not near sources so I'm not sure how viable that theory might be. The time-frame seems about right, though.

We know Khelben had many other identities throughout his life, would it be so far of a stretch to think Elminster might have many unknown ones as well? After all he and his "daughters" took the shapes/identities of many actual people over the years, why not invent a few for himself to be as well. Perhaps some possible identities could clear up quite a few conundrums and holes in existing lore.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  10:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'm pretty sure Eric Boyd wrote the Llurth Dreier article for Polyhedron. His "take" on the place was subsequently tweaked by Rich Baker in the 3E 'Underdark' sourcebook.

-- George Krashos

Eric not Ed? I was sure it was the former... Never mind, I can ask Eric too...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13119 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  17:27:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
It has been alluded to many times by Ed that Elminster is at least one other character we know, and he has taken many identities over the years, some of them recurring.

He started out a Rogue, after all.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3066 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  18:57:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

It has been alluded to many times by Ed that Elminster is at least one other character we know, and he has taken many identities over the years, some of them recurring.

He started out a Rogue, after all.

AFAIK, he started out a Fighter, then went to Rogue.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 11 Oct 2010 18:57:30
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  05:26:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Yes, Elminster has worn many masks down the centuries, but Flamsterd isn't one of them. In Realmsplay (with Ed as DM, of course), we Knights have been present at several meetings between the two of them; they are friends, but definitely NOT the same person.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2949 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  10:05:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Good day again Sweet Lady.

One quick question. Jergal first appeared in the 2nd ed. Campaign setting as far as I (or we) have found out. Was he a new creation by Ed or others at the time, or was he an old part of Eds original world that there just hadn't been room for in earlier products?

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  16:35:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jorkens, I recall hearing about Jergal in Realmsplay years ago (about the time we players received our legal release forms for our characters, in TSR's initial purchase of the Realms, in 1986), so he was definitely part of Ed's original Realms. More than that, I can't say, because in Ed's Realms the creeds, prayers, and portfolios of the gods (and the doings of their clergy) were known to all, but personal details of the gods themselves, and their avatars, was far more sketchy (unless you were a high-ranking priest of a particular god, or a sages of matters religious) - - and because Jergal, among the gods, was a figure of mystery and some controversy (as opposed to, say, Chauntea or Tempus, whom "everybody could grasp" the aims and concerns of).
I know that the "former god of death, now manipulating other deities" notion is Ed, but I believe specific details of Jergal's doings have been added or augmented by Eric Boyd, Julia Martin, and others (George Krashos? Steven Schend?) in the years since Jergal's first print appearance.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2949 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  16:41:41  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Thank you Lady. That also gives a hint about how hidden and in the background he is to most people in the Realms. And of course makes me even more curious; back to those plans for burrowing into Eds basement and bury myself in old papers and notes.
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  17:47:36  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Thank you Lady. That also gives a hint about how hidden and in the background he is to most people in the Realms. And of course makes me even more curious; back to those plans for burrowing into Eds basement and bury myself in old papers and notes.

Watch out for the Helm Horrors.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  18:49:05  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
Hi! I’ve got a “what if” question I’d like to throw Ed’s way.

What if War Wizards long known to be dead started showing up over a period of a tenday all over the Forest Kingdom? Say five hundred mages in total, some having died within the last decade, others over a millennia ago.

Each mage possesses no more memory than he or she had up until the time of his or her death, save for a brief moment of awakening to dim light amongst darkness, then being enveloped in large slimy tentacles and devoured bodily.

Each wizard is wearing burnt brown robes with a round, bright red badge on the right breast depicting a black orb with five tentacles wielding sword, axe, wand, staff and crown.

Each wizard materialized over the place of their death (or the nearest open space capable of allowing their body to materialize); some find themselves residing in the gentle repose of natural death—though such mages awaken to find themselves at least a decade or more younger in years than the age at which they died of natural causes—while others appear in mid-casting of battle spells, but with their then foes all gone away, any wounds received in the battle miraculously healed and the battle environment around them quite changed.

The mages have no overriding compulsion to *do* anything, and none can recall from whence they came nor who or what dressed and equipped them as they are.

Were this to happen in the current, post-Spellplague era of Cormyr, what are some of the possible responses Cormyr’s King, Mage Royal, nobles and others (and perhaps Cormanthyr and Shade) would undertake opposite these wizards out of time?

Are the mages still bound by the oaths they swore? Would Cormyr accept them back into the War Wizard ranks? Are most of them likely to leave a Kingdom that has passed them by? If some died while trying to overthrow the Obarskyrs, would they automatically be captured and jailed for these past crimes?

And if at least one former Mage Royal were among the group of returned mages, how might that complicate matters for the current Mage Royal and the King?

Thank you THO and Ed!

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 26 Oct 2010 17:14:05
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13119 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  20:07:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
WOW

Insanely detailed and specific question, but one hell of an idea.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2859 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  20:22:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Right!!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  20:47:45  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
Remember that War Wizard that teleported King Azoun (and himself) right into the maw of Nalavarra while she was in flight? Right now I’m busying myself by wondering just what that dude’s gonna do when he shows up in the sky one day—sans King and dragon—with the earth below rapidly approaching and half his spells and items not functioning (or not functioning correctly) thanks to the effects of the Spellplague.

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 12 Oct 2010 20:49:17
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  21:03:06  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message
Mr Greenwood, or Lady THO, which (if any) of the the generic D&D relics have been added to the Realms, either canon or the Home Campaign?

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000