Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  14:16:09  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I can't see modern real-world terms being used by a church in the Realms.

Sadly no one told the guy who wrote Ruins of Adventure and assigned "Bishops" to Tyr.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  14:16:20  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
I notice that Ed's contribution to Paizo's webfiction serials will start next wednesday. Care to tease us about the contents Ed?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  14:35:05  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I can't see modern real-world terms being used by a church in the Realms.

Sadly no one told the guy who wrote Ruins of Adventure and assigned "Bishops" to Tyr.

Well... not in the Realms no, but in defence of the author - Ruins of Adventure came out under 1E, and 1E did have level titles for the main classes, including "Bishop" for clerics (and others - acolyte, canon, etc., etc. all the way to High Priest). At the time, "Bishop" was a "legitimate" title for a 1E (A)D&D cleric class character. This was at a very early stage of the Realms as a published setting, so...
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  16:44:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
quote:
Thauramarth
Ruins of Adventure came out under 1E, and 1E did have level titles for the main classes, including "Bishop" for clerics (and others - acolyte, canon, etc., etc. all the way to High Priest).
I was immensely pleased when all those arbitrary PHB/UA titles disappeared in 2E. And the extensive race/class/gender/attribute/level tables.

Back to our regular show ...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  18:17:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Red Walker, Ed's original SPELLFIRE manuscript was a little longer than the contracted wordcount, and the contracted wordcount was TWICE the length of the original (longer) published version of SPELLFIRE. So, yes, it could very easily have been a trilogy. Plans and Books Dept. personnel changed during Ed's writing of the book. But that's a lo-o-o-o-ng story.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  18:21:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Rhewtani, I think Ed was referring to "headhunter" and "talent scout" rather than ecclesiastical titles.
Kajehase, Ed doesn't want to ruin things, but he says he had great fun writing it. He says it's very different than the Realms; you should expect little magic. Oh, and that he and editor James Sutter wanted a tale that had a bang or two . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  21:58:02  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Rhewtani, I think Ed was referring to "headhunter" and "talent scout" rather than ecclesiastical titles.
Kajehase, Ed doesn't want to ruin things, but he says he had great fun writing it. He says it's very different than the Realms; you should expect little magic. Oh, and that he and editor James Sutter wanted a tale that had a bang or two . . .
love to all,
THO

Well, just using the 3.5 City of Splendors:Waterdeep

The titles of the leaders of the church usually uses either their name if secret or some combination of high/grand/exalted/etc and words linked to the portfolio of the god.

Lathander: High Radiance
Loviatar: High Whipmaster
Mystra: Magister
Oghma: Savant
Selune: Priestess of the High Moonlight
Tymora: Honorable Mistress
Tyr: Hammer
Umberlee: Dread High Trident

So something like Grand Lorntavar, Wiseeye or Finder's Eye could be seen as just as acceptable.

Just my point.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2010 :  08:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
A question raised by what Ed wrote about claimants to the throne:
"In fact, what keeps Cormyr from erupting in civil strife often is the counterbalance between SO MANY possible (weak) claimants." Does this mean that the Obarskyrs/War Wizards/Vangedahast actually support some of these claimants secretly, in order to keep control over them and counterbalance a different claimant? If so, can you give us examples of such claimants and details on why they were secretly supported?
Also, just a random question about Azoun's bastards: Are there any bastards that have a close/closer personal relationship with the Obarskyrs? Not the nobles, who would obviously spend time with the Obarskyrs anyway, such as Brace Skatterhawk and Alusair. But for example, does Tavantra Indimber spend time with her father and has a good, steady relationship with Tanalasta and Alusair?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2010 :  10:26:55  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Consider me teased.

If Ed don't mind, but reading the TV-section of today's paper made me want to repeat a question I asked last year: Any thoughts on this year's Nobel litterature winner?

(Unless me and my parents' friends and acquaintances are very atypical I'm guessing Vargas Llosa has to be one of the better known one in the past ten years, maybe even the most known other than Doris Lessing.)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2010 :  10:29:06  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
And with my last two questions having had nothing to do with the Realms, I guess I should add one that's a bit more on topic:

(Apologies if this has been asked before). How would a typical burial be carried out in Aglarond and/or Cormyr?

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2010 :  16:29:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Menelvagor, Ed will provide you a proper answer when he can, but we (that is, his players plus Ed) have talked about this a bit in the past, after some revelations in Realmsplay, and the Obarskyrs spend more time with bastard kin WHO DON'T KNOW THEY'RE BASTARD KIN than they do with the "known" ones (because there's less tension/danger to the kin/kin trying to take advantage/etc.).
However, swift generalities can themselves be perilous, so I'll leave it to Ed to say more.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2010 :  23:36:53  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
Hello All,

Over the history of the Brotherhood, were there every any War Wizards who were afflicted with a curse or deleterious permanent magic that just couldn’t be dispelled or otherwise made to go away, where the malady impeded the mage’s ability to work and was even dangerous to others, such that the mage had to be exiled?

(THO, do you recall ever running into exiled War Wizards during play?)

Ed I know you’re very busy. If you can recall a name, the type of malady, the approx. year of exile and a hint as to the mage’s fate, I can flesh out the rest of his or her story.

Thank you ED and THO very much!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  16:20:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, we twice ran into exiled War Wizards.
Note that these weren't individuals who'd been thrown out of the kingdom. They'd fled before they could be caught (or their treachery uncovered) and exiled in absentia (that is, forbidden to return, and informed of that sentence by factors [[noble family trade agents]] from Cormyr who encountered them outside the realm).
I'll leave it for Ed to say more; I must rush off to work now . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2010 :  08:29:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Greetings Ed/THO... I was just curious as to whether my most recent email came through clearly?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2010 :  17:44:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Sage! The e-mail concerning "m--"?
Yes, received just fine, and I've alerted Ed.
He couldn't get into that e-mail account two days back, because Yahoo was giving him "down for periodic necessary maintenance/please try again later" messages, and yesterday was a full work shift followed by the staff Christmas party at the library he works at, so I doubt he checked e-mail at all.
However, he's now on the case. Expect a reply this weekend.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  17:03:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Back on page 80, createvmind posted two queries about use of vampiric weapons, the second one of which was this: "Follow up to my vampiric question, can constant use of such a weapon on myriad of creatures begin to change its wielder over time, mutate him?"
Ed hasn't sent me a proper reply, but in passing, in an e-mail, he answered this in the affirmative (with the usual "it depends" caveats, these being: the nature of the wielder, what other magic the wielder is carrying and/or using, and so on). A proper reply is coming eventually...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  17:11:14  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
So, an NFL football game cancelled/postponed and moved today because of severe winter weather....can't remember if this has been asked before:
Ed and THO, what's the Realmsian equivalent of football? Any lore that can be shared?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  17:22:31  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message
ooooooooooh. I like Broken Helm's question :)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  22:26:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hoo boy. Ed is incommunicado for this afternoon, but I've sent him your question, Broken Helm, in hopes that he'll reply this evening or on the morrow.
What I can remember from Realmsplay (Knights watching a match and wagering, not participating) was that there are three goals spaced down the center of the playing field, all of them being pairs of stout upright wooden posts about five feet apart, and that points were scored by running or passing a ball through them (no scoring by kicking in the game, though there is punting).
The centerfield "goal" isn't for scoring points, but balls have to pass through it to be valid, for some plays (wish my memory was better).
Like football, two teams of equal sizes, flattish playing field with marked bounds, plays from a line of scrimmage to capture territory, but different from football in some ways: no helmets, both sexes can play, THREE balls in play at the same time (different balls, different points, all snapped from scrimmage simultaneously), and each side can only have a ball for seven plays before turning it over (unless it's turned over by fumble or interception before seven plays can be run). NO magic can be used, of course.
I hope Ed will be able to sort out my confused recollections. I can't even remember the NAME of this Realmsian game ("wideball"? or am I confusing it with something else Torm said he'd cheated while wagering at?). Sigh. Getting old . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  22:36:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And before I forget: Sage, Ed reply e-mailed, if you haven't caught it already.
Now this gal's going to sit back and watch a good old-fashioned football game (the one at Soldier Field, involving snow and occasional field-level whiteouts; to a Canadian, THAT'S football, where the scantily-clad cheerleaders have to be tougher than the players, as they jump and cavort and shake those pompoms in a blizzard . . .). Ahem. If any more about Realmsian football pops back into my head, I'll post it, promise...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  22:41:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hah. Thought of one already: the game IS timed, magically in pre-Spellplague days and mechanically in post-Spellplague times, but it's a constantly-running time: there's no "stopping the clock." Or halftime. Play stops for injuries, when a player can't get off the field unaided, but the clock keeps going.
Oh, and I don't ever recall that there was any mention of such things as "illegal formations" or "ineligible receivers" or such niceties.
However, Ed will Reveal All . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  22:50:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

Hoo boy. Ed is incommunicado for this afternoon, but I've sent him your question, Broken Helm, in hopes that he'll reply this evening or on the morrow.
What I can remember from Realmsplay (Knights watching a match and wagering, not participating) was that there are three goals spaced down the center of the playing field, all of them being pairs of stout upright wooden posts about five feet apart, and that points were scored by running or passing a ball through them (no scoring by kicking in the game, though there is punting).
The centerfield "goal" isn't for scoring points, but balls have to pass through it to be valid, for some plays (wish my memory was better).
Like football, two teams of equal sizes, flattish playing field with marked bounds, plays from a line of scrimmage to capture territory, but different from football in some ways: no helmets, both sexes can play, THREE balls in play at the same time (different balls, different points, all snapped from scrimmage simultaneously), and each side can only have a ball for seven plays before turning it over (unless it's turned over by fumble or interception before seven plays can be run). NO magic can be used, of course.
I hope Ed will be able to sort out my confused recollections. I can't even remember the NAME of this Realmsian game ("wideball"? or am I confusing it with something else Torm said he'd cheated while wagering at?). Sigh. Getting old . . .
love,
THO

I never understood Canadian football...

(Just kidding! Don't hurt me! ... Actually nobody but THO hurt me!)

And THO, you're only as old as your imagination. Which is how I've been stuck at 15 for over 22 years...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 12 Dec 2010 22:50:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  23:27:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Sage! The e-mail concerning "m--"?
Yes, received just fine, and I've alerted Ed.
He couldn't get into that e-mail account two days back, because Yahoo was giving him "down for periodic necessary maintenance/please try again later" messages, and yesterday was a full work shift followed by the staff Christmas party at the library he works at, so I doubt he checked e-mail at all.
However, he's now on the case. Expect a reply this weekend.
love,
THO

quote:

And before I forget: Sage, Ed reply e-mailed, if you haven't caught it already.
Many thanks, milady. This will do very nicely.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  15:43:45  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
I posed this question in the general forum and was urged to throw it out here. It comes up since my campaign is centered in the Moonsea in the 1340s-1350s. Pre-smokepowder (which wasn't around before Gond's reward to the gnomes in post ToT), what do ships look like? How are they armed? I feel like all the pictures in sourcebooks have the look of pirate-era sailing ships, but I know they can't have cannons.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  17:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ships were covered in 2e Realms and "core" sourcebooks (FR1, FR5: sailing times table, Of Ships And The Sea, and also in Pirates of the Fallen Stars). Ed gave us types and descriptions back then.
From memory: cogs (fat, wallowing freighters), caravels (sleeker sailing ships), rakers (small, slender, fast coastal ships), and a myriad of smaller, irregular craft.
Armed with rams, ballistae, warriors onboard, and sometimes "ship wizards."
That's the fast-and-dirty; Ed and THO of course can give us much more.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  17:20:06  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Oh, and I forgot to add: THO, I have in my old GenCon seminar notes that Ed said, back then, that Realmsian football (or at least Dalelands/Sembia/Cormyr football) is known as "hurlball."
BB
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  18:03:13  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Don't know if this was answered before, but what is the strongest spice available in the realms? Is it also readily available in most large cities?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  18:04:49  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Oh and regarding the recipe in one of the Volo's books for Roasted Cockatrice, has there been any known or recorded case of anyone in the realms failing to follow that recipe properly, resulting in an accident worse than bad indigestion??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Edited by - Alisttair on 13 Dec 2010 18:05:28
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  21:23:23  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Rhewtani, to Blueblade's list we can add nao, war nao, and galleon (all from the published Realms canon). Bigger, more "real-world pirate era" ships, in looks. Ed has written of "coasters," small boats (often with lateen rigging) that shuttle passengers and small cargoes, and fish, along shores (avoiding open waters).
The Don Maitz panoramic piece of art that got cut up into the three covers of Mel Odom's Threat From the Sea trilogy (and the accompanying Realms of the Deep anthology, too, I think) showed a harbor battle between land-dwelling humans and various mer-creatures. The ships shown in it are largely sunken/on fire/in sad shape, but show you the "look" of some Realms naval vessels.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  22:11:19  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed,

I’m currently reading a book about flattery (In Praise of Flattery by Willis Goth Regier) and have begun to wonder about the role of flattery in the Royal Court of Cormyr and during audiences with the King. Down the centuries of Cormyr’s history…

1. Have any of Cormyr’s Kings shown a taste for flattery, whether it was about themselves, their Queen, the state/health of Cormyr or some other subject?
2. Did any Kings famously discourage flattery in favor of plain speech?
3. Are there any unique words associated with flattery (something besides ‘honey tongued’ or similar) used in Cormyr or the wider Realms?
a. Have any Cormyrian flatterers name(s) become synonymous with flattery in the same manner that Phelndur Doraunk’s name became synonymous with incompetence and being accident prone?
4. THO do you recall any play experiences where your group witnessed an NPC using flattery in the Royal Court or other part of Cormyr to great effect or in stunning failure, or what is was like for your group to figure out when best to use it in Cormyr and when not to?
5. Is there anything about flattery that you (Ed) would have liked to include in Volo’s Guide to Cormyr that you could mention to us now?

Thank you both as always for taking the time to answer all of our questions!

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 13 Dec 2010 22:19:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000