Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  02:34:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
My sig links to more of these little videos, several feature the gnome.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  02:58:11  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Ed,
I just wanted to say how darned impressed I was with you, on ALL of the panels you were on at SFContario (yes, I managed to find and take in all of them).
Your wit, your wisdom, your earnest eagerness to help wannabe sf and fantasy writers with advice and caveats and examples and cautionary tales . . .
And the last panel just blew me away. Fellow scribes, imagine an hour-long discussion on "Family Trees of Fantasy" (that is, how fantasy fiction today includes elements from this or that earlier writer or literary tradition or cultural storytelling form, so themes or styles or elements or topics descend down from earlier times).
Moderated by Teresa Nielsen Hayden, the panel consisted of sf writers James Alan Gardner and Michael Swanwick, fantasy/sf writer Jo Walton, and Ed. Michael Swanwick and Ed in particular were just racing through lore and allusions and explanations and examples at top speed: it was one of those magical moments (an hour-long one) where I just sat listening as REAL experts enthused and built on each other's points and poured out more and more lore. Pure gold.
Ed, you deserve greater praise than I know how to adequately give. We know you're brilliant and generous, but to watch you stop for shy fans and sit down with them to read their stories and give really helpful advice and a pep talk and a hug and send them away glowing . . . I think you "made" a lot of peoples' weekend today and yesterday.
And of course if just one of them becomes a good fantasy or sf writer because of your encouragement at the right moment, we all gain.
You ARE a great man. And a great falsetto, too (there was a moment at a filk performance where the female singer's voice broke as she started to cough. Ed was standing signing autographs outside the room in the hall, and delivered the high and soaring missing note for the stricken singer, much to her astonishment and the audience, too, who roared out applause because it was unexpected, but sounded almost as if it had been planned).
Great Ed, just . . . great.
Looking forward to seeing you again at Ad Astra.
Thanks for "making" the con for me.

Edited by - Malcolm on 22 Nov 2010 03:00:50
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  07:37:43  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Wow. SOOOO upset I didn't get to go. 3 hour drive away, and I had to work.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  08:42:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I see names of authors whose works I highly appreciate on that list. I can only comment that, for some utterly inexplicable reason, all of my favourite writers (Ed and Swanwick included) tend to be the ones who cultivate the most, uh, eccentric distinctions of character. I wonder if a certain degree of nonconformity is an essential trait for stoking the fires of creative muse or if it's just some bizarre medical symptom indicative of a writer's lifestyle.

(Meant in the best possible way, I aspire to be as bold as these paradigms.)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  21:51:09  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed!

Are there any nobles that have earned a particularly nasty reputation amongst the War Wizards?

I’m thinking along the lines of a murderous noble who has a hate for War Wizards (for whatever reason: madness, magical curse placed by a rival and meant to destabilize the family, or cold hatred born of vengeance or belief War Wizards must pay for some past evil or slight against the family) and delights in killing them off?

The sort of situation I'm imagining is one where a War Wizard assigned to such a Noble House can expect his comrades to look upon him grimly and say, “Have you a ring of proof against poison? Conjure up a mundane duplicate, enchant it to appear magical and wear the original on your toe, for you’re guaranteed to run afoul of the Matron of the house and be dead within a tenday, once she’s had her thieving manservant steal away your rings and other protections. And no, we don't know yet how she's killing us off, but we're certain as we can be absent tangible proof that she's the murderer.”

I imagine the Crown would take notice if its War Wizards kept dying mysterious deaths while “on watch” over a noble house. If such as I’ve described has happened in Cormyr’s history, what was the fallout for the noble house (if any)?

Lastly, was there ever a period of time where certain of the noble houses (or certain members within each) made a sport of killing War Wizards and hiding evidence of the act in order to signal their displeasure with the King’s or Royal Mage’s policies?

Thank you as always! :)

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 22 Nov 2010 22:07:55
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  21:58:06  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

So, I can't help but feel a question I asked back on page 89 was over looked(was commented on by one Wooly Rupert, but I was asking Ed/THO), so I'm going to repost it.

It wasn't overlooked.

Ed already has a huge backlog of questions, some going back years. He's got many demands on his time, as well, which is why he can't always readily lay hands on a requested bit of lore and/or provide thoughts/opinions on something.

Our lovely Lady Hooded One passes on all the questions and commentary in this thread, and has been known to do the same for other discussions, as well.

So Ed will get to your question. He may surprise us and have an answer an hour from now, or it may be a couple years -- both have happened to me. All we can do is be patient.

Indeed. This can't be stressed enough.

I know it can seem, sometimes, like there is just such a backlog that something or some question may be missed along the way. But rest assured, the Lady Hooded One is ever vigilant. And, as I've made clear to her previously, should she require any further assistance in this matter, either myself or Wooly stand ready to ensure that no question -- no matter when it was asked -- is ever overlooked.

My apologies, both to Ed, THO, and the board for seeming impatient; just noticed that some people got some type of response, if not a direct answer.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  02:09:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

Hello THO and Ed!

Are there any nobles that have earned a particularly nasty reputation amongst the War Wizards?

I’m thinking along the lines of a murderous noble who has a hate for War Wizards (for whatever reason: madness, magical curse placed by a rival and meant to destabilize the family, or cold hatred born of vengeance or belief War Wizards must pay for some past evil or slight against the family) and delights in killing them off?

IIRC, Ed named several families that fit that bill, and even went into some detail about one of them (I remember something about 'evil uncles', and two not-so-nice girls). Very good, detailed material - real 'old school' FR.

I'm sure Sage will be along with the link - it was probably in last year's 'Questions for Ed'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Nov 2010 02:14:12
Go to Top of Page

uaintjak
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  02:39:20  Show Profile  Visit uaintjak's Homepage Send uaintjak a Private Message
Less a message for the illustrious Ed, but I wanted to be sure THO saw it...in the General Forgotten Realms lore forum, I asked a question about the legendary Knights of Myth Drannor, and was hoping you could shed some light on some of the lesser members. Not sure if it's appropriate to ask in this thread or not.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  02:49:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by uaintjak

Less a message for the illustrious Ed, but I wanted to be sure THO saw it...in the General Forgotten Realms lore forum, I asked a question about the legendary Knights of Myth Drannor, and was hoping you could shed some light on some of the lesser members. Not sure if it's appropriate to ask in this thread or not.

Of course it's appropriate, uaintjak. Feel free to add your query to Ed's own scroll.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  10:58:45  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
uaintjak's questions asked in his The Knights of Myth Drannor scroll. Too lengthy to repeat here, though I'm a little interested in the answers myself.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  18:59:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Herewith, a "quick preliminary answer" re. those Knights of Myth Drannor questions. These are my paraphrases of Ed's answers to me.
"In the actual playing of Ed's group, is what happened in the novels (essentially) the same as how it played out in the gaming sessions?"
No, doing even a short'n'simple version of the play sessions would have taken about twenty novels. However, the FATES of Agannor and Bey and Martess were essentially the same (as you put it: "Agannor and Bey betrayed the group and were slain, and that Martess was killed as well.")
"However, I've also read that Martess was originally also an apprentice of Hezom (the lord of Espar and Jhessail's teacher)."
Ed will say more about this when he has the time.
"I'm curious if anyone knows the "true" story behind these characters."
Ed does; they were all NPCs played fleetingly (for the balance of a play session) by players only when their own PCs were incapacitated. We'll have to see how much he shares . . .

"Aumark Lithyl. What's his deal? When and how did he join? Is he a fighter? Cavalier? What? He was apparently heir to the throne of Ruathym, but that's all I know of him. Details!"
Aumark was a (2nd ed, Unearthed Arcana) cavalier, as was Mourngrym Amcathra. He was heir to the throne, sent away from home to keep him alive during the brief "war" between Ruathym, Luskan, and other shady interests. He left the Knights when his father was slain, to claim the throne ("High Axe") and lead his country. He was an Ed NPC, not a PC.

"Eressea Ambergyles. I've heard on these boards that she was a Knight (or at least, she adventured with them) though she was never mentioned as such in any of the published material. Are there other members of the Knights that we don't know about? Luvon Greencloak? Alok Silverspear? Inquiring minds want to know."
Eressea was a priestess who came to Shadowdale to found a temple, after the Knights were firmly in control of it. She adventured with the Knights, was invited to join them, and accepted. Her fate is NDA, and she was an Ed NPC. Yes, there are almost a dozen other Knights (some of whom didn't last long at all) that scribes familiar with the published realms don't know about. No, Luvon and Alok were never Knights, but they were allies and friends of the Knights.

So there you have it.
Patience, Chosen of Asmodeus. Ed has family visiting and has just written three short stories in three days, but he WILL get back to me with some lore replies for scribes, and hopefully yours will be amongst them. No promises, mind.
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  23:30:55  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

IIRC, Ed named several families that fit that bill, and even went into some detail about one of them (I remember something about 'evil uncles', and two not-so-nice girls). Very good, detailed material - real 'old school' FR.
Aye, thank you Markus.

I've found a few mentions in the "Looking for all about Cormyr" scroll. I'll happily take that, if it'll help Ed move on to other longer-waiting queries.

But I won't say no to something new, either.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  02:30:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Thank you THO! I'd offer you a rose but entirely lack any such emoticons.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  03:31:55  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
@>--,--

One way to send a rose...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 24 Nov 2010 03:33:36
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  04:05:44  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Ashe you're so charming ;)
Go to Top of Page

uaintjak
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  13:53:10  Show Profile  Visit uaintjak's Homepage Send uaintjak a Private Message
Thanks Lady HO (oops) and please pass along my thanks to the Great Sage himself, for the Knights answers. I'm looking forward to hearing more about Martess when Ed has more time.

Were there any Knights (apart from Merith Strongbow and Lanseril Snowmantle) who weren't human?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  17:29:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

@>--,--

One way to send a rose...

Show off...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  13:01:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
here is a question I have, not sure if the answer already exists elsewhere:

Does the lychee fruit exist in the realms? I'd imagine in the eastern Kara-Tur area, and if so, is it imported west?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  18:59:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Alisttair, it definitely does. I know this from memories of play, but can't recall what Ed has said publuicly in the past. Sage? Wooly? Have we covered lychees in these Questions for Eddie threads?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  19:26:52  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Lychee has a horrible extract. Not sure why you'd want it in the realms :P Also, if you guys have already covered Lychees... what haven't you covered? haha!
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  19:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Also, it reads in Wikipedia (yes, sadly I get much of my information from there) that Labelas Enoreth and Clangeddin Silverbeard have a grudge towards one another. Does this go any deeper than a simple elf/dwarf rivalry, or is there something deeper there?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  21:55:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
That relates to the old DC Forgotten Realm comic book series. You can read some further information in the "Demihuman Deities" sourcebook.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  22:04:38  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
I asked <elsewhere> if anyone knew the earliest canon sources for the dates of the various events involved in the Time of Troubles.

Do you recall how the design team came about the decision that the TOT should be set in the Year of Shadows?

And do you remember the first publications that announced this? I'm trying to determine when the TOT first was retconned into 1358 DR for the 2E.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  06:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Actually, the Time of Troubles was one of the most "fun" things to ever happen to the realms. I'd heard of it first when I was an amateur Realms reader and had decided to take a swing at the Avatar Trilogy. Glad was I when I would stumble upon it in other such series' as The Legend of Drizzt. Is there any catalogues of date on The Time of Troubles. Interesting bits of lore about what transpired in this period of time outside of the obvious?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  14:40:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sandstorm

Actually, the Time of Troubles was one of the most "fun" things to ever happen to the realms. I'd heard of it first when I was an amateur Realms reader and had decided to take a swing at the Avatar Trilogy. Glad was I when I would stumble upon it in other such series' as The Legend of Drizzt. Is there any catalogues of date on The Time of Troubles. Interesting bits of lore about what transpired in this period of time outside of the obvious?

For more info about what the deities were doing during the Time of Troubles, look here.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  15:31:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Sandstorm

For more info about what the deities were doing during the Time of Troubles, look here.

I'd perform a search of the archives here at Candlekeep as well, for past scribe-based discussions on the topic.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  17:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
for the Lychee, I ran into it last night as I went through Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, and as I suspected, they have it over in Kara-Tur and Aurora's Emporiums can get it. It is mispelled in the book, but that's ok. Personally I don't like Lychee, but got curious about it in the realms when I saw someone eat one the other day.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  17:57:38  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Dear Ed,
I recently had a chat with a longtime sf/fantasy editor with a large North American publisher, and she mentioned that you'd ghostwritten some fantasy bestsellers for ailing writers, and written more under various pseudonyms.
Can you share anything with us about which books and writers?
Or is that all contractually under wraps?
And to relate this to the Realms, how many Realms novels and/or gamebooks have you written or helped extensively with (as opposed to your lore just being mined, without your direct project involvement), that your name isn't on (except perhaps in the "thanks to" list)?
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  15:15:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Ander, Netherese Archmage originally from the long fallen city of Thyndlamdrivvar.

Can you share anymore about him? I found it facinating that this "calm, quiet" character, with just a small amount of stage time is most powerful spellcasters, mightier than Szass Tam and Khelbun Arunsun....was curious about how he fared through the spellplague and what he is up to know.

Also anything that can be shared about the spell-duel that blew it apart, such as who was dulling? Was Ander the "Victor" of said duel?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  23:00:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring Ed of the Greenwood's response to Longtime Lurker (the post two above this one): "Dear Ed, I recently had a chat with a longtime sf/fantasy editor with a large North American publisher, and she mentioned that you'd ghostwritten some fantasy bestsellers for ailing writers, and written more under various pseudonyms. Can you share anything with us about which books and writers? Or is that all contractually under wraps? And to relate this to the Realms, how many Realms novels and/or gamebooks have you written or helped extensively with (as opposed to your lore just being mined, without your direct project involvement), that your name isn't on (except perhaps in the "thanks to" list)?"
Ed replies:

Hi. Hoo boy. Yes, I have co-written/rescued some fantasy novels that my name doesn't appear on (ironically, some have outsold my own work, and some reviewers who seem to hate "my" stuff have praised them). No, contractually I can't identify them or provide any details (because that might help some astute readers of said details to identify them.
When it comes to Realms novels and gamebooks, I had a very high level of lore involvement in most Realms products right into the 3e era (3.5, not so much), but not necessarily a high level of PRODUCT involvement. Or to put that in everyday terms, there were times when I knew little or nothing more about forthcoming FR products than a Realms fan shopping at a FLGS (which isn't surprising, because I was always a freelancer, not a company employee), but those products were closely based on my lore, or "extra" lore I'd been asked to provide, or unused overflow from things I'd written, or private chats I had with staffers. And please understand that I do mean "involvement" and NOT "control." It was my pleasure and privilege, and often still is, to answer the equivalent of scribe's queries here at Candlekeep for FR authors or designers, behind the scenes, for a specific product or simply to give them a "feel" for something that may or may not appear in a future FR publication or spark a future FR publication. Sometimes I've been paid, sometimes not, but it's all been good, because it's all been about the Realms - - and being a busy loremaster for the Realms seems to have become my life's work, regardless of my intentions. :}
I have never controlled the direction of the Realms line, topics focussed on, or product formats, who writes what, or anythig of the sort. I have always been honoured (and I mean that as the literal truth) to be consulted, when my input was desired.
Which is a very long-winded way of saying: I had my fingers in many, many pies that didn't have my name on them. :}

So saith Ed. And there you have it . . .
Ed promises more lore-replies soon, BTW; he's cleared his desk somewhat of the towering stacks of "needed right this instant" projects for various folks.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000