Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  15:51:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
gomez, I'm awaiting a response from Ed re. your silverfire question - - and HE'S awaiting a response from a Wizards staff designer so he doesn't inadvertently contradict forthcoming printed lore.
Menelvagor, in answer to this: "This is also related to my continuing Symrustar campaign: How would Mystra's death (both the ToT and the Spellplague) affect the Weave around Earth differently than the one around Toril?"
Ed replies:

Each "death" of any deity related in a major way to magic (so, Savras or Azuth as well as Mystra or Mystryl) causes a period of magical chaos, where "things don't necessarily work the way they're supposed to/usually do." Like real-world hurricanes, this varies in intensity, duration, and effects wildly from place to place and spot to spot (example from the real world: two large structures utterly destroyed, with the building between them left entirely untouched). So Earth's Weave would have had a sudden onset of magical weirdness, probably lasting a few days at most, and then a few "aftershocks" (invisible traveling pockets of wand of wonder-like effects) at random places and times for a month or so thereafter, with a few rare and localized flareups of "random magic" here and there for as much as two years after.
Of course, as DM, you should feel free to change this to suit your purposes. Because magic is harnessing flows of natural energy/potential energy, it's always somewhat unpredictable, by its very nature.

So saith Ed.
Who adds, by the way, that you're never going to get a complete catalogue of all books written by the Seven, because that's NDA (largely because Realms designers delight in adding their own additions to the ever-lengthening list). I recall that Steven Schend added at least one, and the "chapterhead quotes" that Ed puts in most of his novels have included a few more over the years.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  16:03:00  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi, ED and THO.
Ed, I'm looking forward to seeing you at SFContario. I usually bring you a handful of things to sign, but this time I'd like to ask a favor, instead: a friend of mine has recently retired from an airline career and started writing fantasy. Can I bring you a short sample of his work to get your opinion of it? I think it's great, but then he's my friend; we need a more impartial eye that belongs to a writing veteran, not a family member or teacher . . .
I know I'm imposing, and it's fine if you say "no." I'll still drop by for a chat.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  16:11:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
As it happened, Ed and I were talking on the phone when your post popped up on my screen, so here's a REALLY lightning-fast Ed reply:

Heh. Of COURSE you can, Blueblade. So long as it doesn't interfere with my getting to the panels I've promised to sit on, I'm always happy to have a look at writing, and comment on it (hey, I'm a fantasy/sf/horror/pulp/all sorts of fiction FAN and reader, too, remember!). It's all part of being in this wonderful career ("pay it forward," and so forth), and I'm happy to do it. Yet please remind your friend that I'm not a publisher, and seem to have scant pull with publishers these days, during the freefall recession, when they all seem to be "not buying all that much." I can't get even the most brilliant writing published, though I will suggest good publishing houses for it and who to contact there.
I'm always happy to invite a smiling new face to the party, and see familiar ones again, too. So, looking forward to it!

So saith Ed. Whose reply surprises me not at all, of course.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  13:07:49  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message
Hi Ed and The Lady Hooded One,

In my search for ever better role-playing I have come upon an interesting concept I'd like your expert wisdom on.
I know cultures of honor will often arise when three conditions are met: 1) a lack of resources; 2) where the benefit of theft and crime outweighs the risks; and 3) a lack of sufficient law enforcement (such as in geographically remote regions). I was wondering though, what cultures of honor would form amongst magical social groups (that suffer more or less from those three conditions) such as Hathrans, isolated Red Wizards, or starting Mage Guilds in frontier towns.

Does a notion of honor even exist among Fearuns wizards and sorcerers? Being able to bend the laws of physics to their will daily certainly makes wizards able to transcend local law enforcement with frightening ease. Magic is again a great tool for theft and crime. Are certain actions severely frowned upon by fellow mages, and do codes of conduct even play any role in wizardly practices and schooling? Could you help me form some examples of these?

I humbly give thanks to any thoughts you (both) might share on this rather open question, but hope I gave some food for thought in the proces.

Sincerly yours,

Bladewind

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 18 Nov 2010 13:08:37
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  19:38:14  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Hi Ed,

I was wondering if you're familiar with White Wolf's tabletop game Exalted. I recently discovered it, and I've been reading through the second edition source books at a mad place, and I'm completely in LOVE with the setting and all the different Exalted, even the Dragonbloods, those traitorous gits (Plus, the character names are awesome. I mean, "The First And Forsaken Lion"? That just oozes with badass).

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy

Edited by - khorne on 18 Nov 2010 19:38:37
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  21:24:18  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Bladewind, there's got to be the concept of honor among mages, or that "bad mark" magic that Ed came up with wouldn't exist (can't remember if it's in The Seven Sisters or the 2e City of Splendors box, think it's the latter, complete with Val Valusek illo of a wizard who's been marked, for all to see).
Wooly, Sage? Anyone? Have I got the source right?
BA
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  22:12:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
(link to Bladewind's Concepts of Honor scroll, where this topic is much discussed)

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 Nov 2010 22:14:51
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  23:12:57  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baleful Avatar

Bladewind, there's got to be the concept of honor among mages, or that "bad mark" magic that Ed came up with wouldn't exist (can't remember if it's in The Seven Sisters or the 2e City of Splendors box, think it's the latter, complete with Val Valusek illo of a wizard who's been marked, for all to see).
BA

It's the spell Laeral's Crowning Touch, and it is featured in The Seven Sisters, indeed.

On a related note, the 2E Forgotten Realms hardcover describes the penalty ("Mystra's Threefold Curse") for usurping a mage's sigil. So "not usurping another mage's sigil" is definitely part of the honour among mages.
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  00:33:21  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:
Originally posted by Baleful Avatar

BA

It's the spell Laeral's Crowning Touch, and it is featured in The Seven Sisters, indeed.

On a related note, the 2E Forgotten Realms hardcover describes the penalty ("Mystra's Threefold Curse") for usurping a mage's sigil. So "not usurping another mage's sigil" is definitely part of the honour among mages.

I wonder if Volothamp Geddarm broke some of those honor rules by publishing in the Realms his "Guide to All Things Magic". If even half of what was described in there was true and acccurate, it would have made a lot of mages angry to have their secrets so widely dispersed to the public. I think I read somewhere that's why he suddenly switched to writing tour books.

That brings up a question for Ed and THO: Did Volo ever consider writing up a "Guide to All Things Divine", or would that have been pushing the limits of wisdom and safety for even Volo?

Edited by - Aysen on 19 Nov 2010 00:34:53
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  00:42:57  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
I have one more question to add, Ed and THO:

It concerns Elminster's habit of pipesmoking. When, where and why did he pick up this practice? Were all the "cool wizards" doing it back then? Was it something to occupy his hands and mouth whilst thinking deep wizardly thoughts, like whittling or knot tying or chewing tobacco?

Thank you again in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  01:30:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I'll append a further detail to that inquiry by asking what it is exactly that Elminster smokes in that pipe.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  04:37:22  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Uh-oh. Arik, Ed wrote up Elminster's Eversmoking Pipe WAY back in the early (2nd Edition) days. As it's been published, it can't be reproduced here. The summary is: he smokes all sorts of substances in the pipe, and tobacco blends (no, nothing illicit in real-world terms), and can work various magical effects with them.
I'm away from my collection now, and can't remember just where it got published: in Dragon, I think . . .
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  05:18:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Uh-oh. Arik, Ed wrote up Elminster's Eversmoking Pipe WAY back in the early (2nd Edition) days. As it's been published, it can't be reproduced here. The summary is: he smokes all sorts of substances in the pipe, and tobacco blends (no, nothing illicit in real-world terms), and can work various magical effects with them.
I'm away from my collection now, and can't remember just where it got published: in Dragon, I think . . .
BB

"Elminster's Eversmoking Pipe" was detailed in 2e's Heroes' Lorebook.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  05:21:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Oh, and as for what Elminster smokes in that pipe... that'd be phaelder and thalander rather than regular tobacco -- which is extensively available, and actually referred to more often as tobacco than pipeweed though there may actually be a Realms alternative term for it that has yet to be utilised in any novels or accessories.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  05:26:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Aha, thanx guys. I'll just retract the question and go read my 2E Heroes' Lorebook.

Er, unless Elminster or his charming herald would like to say anything more about it, of course.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 19 Nov 2010 05:27:26
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  07:08:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

BB

And first mentioned as magical in Dragon #110 "All About Elminster" and statted in Polyhedron magazine.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  19:38:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Everyone knows all the 'cool' wizards smoke a pipe.

Anyhow, Ed, I need some Dwarvish; words for...

Stone, Mountain, Fort (not Keep - smaller), turn (or simply 'shift'), and all four compass directions.

And, of course, any other musings on dwarven language you'd care to share.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  21:00:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Markustay! Ed is incommunicado right now, with family visiting (and then he's off to a convention tomorrow and won't be back until late Sunday), but from my notes I can tell you that:
duin = stone, pebble, fragment (natural, or rather, not chipped off or sculpted by a dwarf)
druin = boulder, large standing stone (again, natural, not a cairn or monument or sculpted-in-place object), an erratic (boulder sitting in a spot that doesn't "fit" with surrounding terrain), small crag or tor
druir = mountain (there are other words for specific sorts of mountains, inhabited-by-dwarves mountains, dragonlair mountains, etc such as "-tar" being the mountain suffix that referred to the great mountain north of the Moonsea, Ghaethluntar, inhabited by the flind.)
grym = one of the archaic suffixes for a (subterranean, of course) dwarven city (as seen in Ed's creation "Gauntulgrym" or "Gauntlgrym" . . . in this case, a trademoot city not just suited to dwarves and smaller inhabitants)
I recall that some named mountains had their names just prefixed to "druir" (such as "Ardrentdruir" in the Sword Coast North, the mountain that was once home to the small Ardrentrar clan of the dwarves, that I don't think has made it into the published Realms yet)
Ed does have notes for the Realmsian Dwarven terms for up (higher), down (deeper into the Underdark), and the compass directions, but I can't find my scribblings right now. From hazy memory, North is "thald" or "tahl/tal," I think, but that's really all I can recall at the moment. We'll have to await proper lore from Ed on this. There was a LOT cut from DWARVES DEEP, as I recall, purely because it was way over wordcount. Ed tried to sneak a lot of laying-the-groundwork cultural stuff about the dwarves past the TSR editors of the day by working references to cooking utensils, customs, daily mealtimes and the like into his glossary, and so we "lost it all" when the necessary cuts were made. Sigh.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  21:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hi, THO. Looking at your reply, it seems as if Ed has lots of other Dwarven words for stone, as in "this rock in my hand" or "that stone right there," as well as words for ore or useless/should be removed stony matter, and various minerals, gems, etc.
Am I right in this?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  21:09:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Very right.
From the published start, which I think was the Runestones article in DRAGON, Ed's Dwarven language has had a rich glossary. He was scanty on grammar/structure, because he didn't want to contradict Gary Gygax and TSR staff designers in what they said in general for dwarven tongue(s) for the D&D game.
Yes, there are LOTS of words for stone, just as the real-life Inuit have many words for various sorts of snow and ice, describing utility, condition, and location.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  21:53:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
OMG! LMAO!

The Inuit reference was one I myself was going to make in the Dwarven language thread, but in regards to 'mountain' rather then stone (both being VERY important culturally to dwarves).

HOWEVER, I was already accused of being 'racist', both on this site and WoTC (and was briefly banned over at WotC), so I walk on eggs now when making cultural references like that.

What I did was Google that, and found that its just one of those 'urban legends', and they have as many words for it as any other language that has frequent dealing with snow (like English). This is caused in-part by the way their language is spoken - the adjective being tagged onto the word, so we could have 'heavy', 'soggy', 'hard', etc.. all combined with 'snow', so it appears like their are separate words, similar to how Dwarvish in the Realms is constructed - and also because of the MANY dialects of different tribal groups (nearly all of which have their own word for snow).

Why would I go into all of that in this thread? To demonstrate the great lengths I go to to avoid being falsely banned ever again - you can insult people without knowing it, apparently. Since you've exchanged 'heated' words with the same scribe who accused me of being a racist, I just thought you should know that anything related to Native Americans can be taken wrong.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread....

'North' was precisely the one in particular I needed!
Can't believe I forgot 'up' and 'down' - how humanocentric of me!

Obviously 'uin' means it pertains to the earth somehow (Olar meaning 'world' - unfortunately Earth English has two separate meanings for the word 'earth') - very interesting.

I would assume the word 'grym' came about after they started dealing with other races (since Dwarf-Holds are also cities, but hidden ones that other races are not commonly welcome in). I have to wonder if its by coincidence it appears to be distantly related to their word for 'ugly' (wurgym).

So 'tar' may be a reference to gnoll-kind? Hmmmm...

Where is 'Ardrentdruir' located?

Thank you for your quick response, BTW - I think Ed will appreciate the project I'm working on ATM. With my new, greater understanding of the 'deeper' parts of FR lore, reading back through Dwarves Deep I can see a consistency in how Ed's world works that is truly amazing (and I'm thinking specifically in terms of some of the stuff on magic, and how it is empowered). Which dragon magazine article are you referring to, if I may ask?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Nov 2010 21:54:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2010 :  00:20:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

BB

And first mentioned as magical in Dragon #110 "All About Elminster" and statted in Polyhedron magazine.

-- George Krashos

That's the one. I couldn't remember which issue it was, so I took the "safe" bet with Heroes' Lorebook. Thanks Krash.

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Nov 2010 00:21:43
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2010 :  04:31:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Markustay. You're quite correct re. the Inuit, yes; the many, many portmanteau combinations of "adjective with snow" were exactly what I was referring to.
The Runestones article I mentioned was published in issue 69 of DRAGON Magazine, and was, so far as I can recall at the moment (far from my collection) called, yep, "Runestones." It was one of Ed's first published bits of dwarven language lore, if not THE first.
Heh. I'm well aware that anything said about natives can be "taken wrong." I have Native Canadians (or "Native Americans" or "aboriginals" or "First Nations," as you prefer) in my family, and Ed has two in his immediate family (the husband of the elder of his two daughters, and their daughter). "Taken wrong" is the key, here; I've found over the years that those who shout racism quickly and loudly tend to be those who like to win arguments with any handy weapon; for one thing, "Native Americans" (or whatever collective term one prefers) are not monolithic, but a diverse array of sharply different (and often feuding) peoples, and always have been. In some cases, both Inuit and Innu and more southerly peoples, different tribes ARE speaking completely different languages, that have come over time to share a common "trading talk" glossary of words for practical reasons - - just like the "Common" of D&D.
Of COURSE Ed's world creation has underlying consistency, though great foreground variety (to make for maximum storytelling/roleplaying possibilities). Ed is a gentle genius, too often under-appreciated by later designers who don't realize how much of their work is built on what he created, or using toys he crafted or refined (many of the spells and magic items and monsters and "assumed" underlying ecology of the wider generic game) . . . and because he's a quiet Canadian who rarely blows his own horn, too often unrecognized. He is literally the nicest, most generous man I know (yet a brilliant intellect, and a flirt, not a shy, retiring violet).
As for Ardrentdruir, I'll have to leave that to Ed. I recall where it is in general terms, but am far from my notes right now, and Ed will be at SfContario until late Sunday evening . . .
So until next,
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Nov 2010 04:34:14
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2010 :  11:57:16  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
Greetings Ed, THO, scribes.

Just a small query this time regarding Lhaeo/King Haedrak. Will we hearing something about how he fared during and/or after the spellplague in any of the upcoming Elminster books, or perchance in other sources?

-Stig-

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2010 :  14:37:48  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
So, I can't help but feel a question I asked back on page 89 was over looked(was commented on by one Wooly Rupert, but I was asking Ed/THO), so I'm going to repost it.

quote:
My next questions are about one of my favorite fantasy races; orcs. For a long time orcs have been potrayed in fantasy as that mass of cannon fodder for the heroes to slaughter and to be controlled by a more powerful villain, while recently there's been the growing tendancy to potray them as a noble savage achitype, a proud warrior race, and often every bit as formidable as any human, dwarf, or elf.

With the addition to the Kingdom of Many-Arrows to the Realms, do you think this trend will carry over as well? Can we expect to see orcs in more prominent, if not necessarily posistive roles in future Realms fiction? And do you think a rise in competence from stupid cannon fodder to skilled, proud warrior race could threaten orc's position as villains, similar to how some feel Drizzt's popularizing of the renegade drow made that race less threatening, or do you think that this could be an oppertunity to show orcs as a truly dangerous, threatening force instead of something any farmboy with a sword can deal with?

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2010 :  14:41:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

So, I can't help but feel a question I asked back on page 89 was over looked(was commented on by one Wooly Rupert, but I was asking Ed/THO), so I'm going to repost it.

It wasn't overlooked.

Ed already has a huge backlog of questions, some going back years. He's got many demands on his time, as well, which is why he can't always readily lay hands on a requested bit of lore and/or provide thoughts/opinions on something.

Our lovely Lady Hooded One passes on all the questions and commentary in this thread, and has been known to do the same for other discussions, as well.

So Ed will get to your question. He may surprise us and have an answer an hour from now, or it may be a couple years -- both have happened to me. All we can do is be patient.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2010 :  15:03:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

It wasn't overlooked.

Ed already has a huge backlog of questions, some going back years. He's got many demands on his time, as well, which is why he can't always readily lay hands on a requested bit of lore and/or provide thoughts/opinions on something.

Our lovely Lady Hooded One passes on all the questions and commentary in this thread, and has been known to do the same for other discussions, as well.

So Ed will get to your question. He may surprise us and have an answer an hour from now, or it may be a couple years -- both have happened to me. All we can do is be patient.

Indeed. This can't be stressed enough.

I know it can seem, sometimes, like there is just such a backlog that something or some question may be missed along the way. But rest assured, the Lady Hooded One is ever vigilant. And, as I've made clear to her previously, should she require any further assistance in this matter, either myself or Wooly stand ready to ensure that no question -- no matter when it was asked -- is ever overlooked.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2010 :  15:51:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
My observation is that the longer the question remains unanswered, the more surprising and rich the answer becomes. The answers Ed and THO fire off "from the hip" tend to be of the more easy variety, whereas delays indicate much pondering and digging through lore (and communing with outer planes) is needed to provide the answer.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 20 Nov 2010 15:52:03
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2010 :  23:47:35  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Hey THO/ ED. Any reasoning as to why Gnomes were left out of 4th edition?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  00:11:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ed had very little to do with the direction of 4e D&D itself. That was a design-decision made by the in-house guys pertaining to 'unnecessary redundancy' (we already have the Halflings). 'Gnome Illusionists' were a throwback to the early days of D&D, and there really isn't much of a need for the Gnome race now, and space-considerations had to be given to the two new core races - Tieflings and Dragonborn.

All that being said, Gnomes were never very important in FR (I'm not even sure if Ed bothered with them), and they were from the beginning referred to as the "hidden folk" (IIRC).

The designers wanted to give them more of a 'fey connection' in 4e, which I am fine with, and although I can't speak for Ed, I think his take on them probably wasn't far-off from that either.

The better people to ask as to why such decisions were made would be Chris Perkins, Rich Baker, and Bruce Cordell. Ed's usually 'in the loop', but he doesn't 'make the loop' (when it comes to rules).

EDIT: It appears they decided to eventually include them, regardless - shows you how much I know.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Nov 2010 02:05:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000