Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  05:23:30  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Well, this is me coming off of a long tenure as a world of warcraft fan/player, where orcs are fairly popular, though far from the most popular.

I'm not saying I'm part of any sort of majority, here, but I do know that there is part of the fantasy fan base out there that prefers the more monstrous creatures — orcs in particular — to elves/humans/so on. Has nothing to do with sexiness(with a few execptions, if the concept exists, there is a fetish for it), but orcs appeal to that primal, savage, brutal side of our minds. They appeal to that part of us that likes spartans, samurai, and mongols. Dedication to strength and war have their own appeal.

The fact that orcs have a certain appeal is evident by the many different interpritations of them. Check out TVtropes, the page Our Orcs Are Different; people put dozens of spins on orcs, giving them unique, indepth cultures and motivations, even when not potraying them sypathetically, where as more often than not they'll simply take the surface flavor off elves and dwarves from Tolkien.

Then again, like I said, I'm claiming to be in a majority as an orc fan. Still, in my campaign, Gruumsh will always beat Corelleon, and Obould will always beat Drizzt.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  05:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
That's why god created Half-Orc :)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  18:26:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Edlacar, Ed will provide a proper answer when he can, but one quick point from him:

Most of the gates are passive, but a few are active (i.e. to pass through them, something specific must be done). Almost all of them are hidden, little-known, and/or not easily accessible (e.g. on a remote mountaintop, or at the bottom of a dangerous, deep region of an Underdark).

So saith Ed. Who is recalling design discussions from a few years back.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  18:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
The only time I've heard of these gates (and correct me if I'm thinking about something else) Is in "Richard Awlins" series, when Mystra fights Helm while trying to get back into the Heavens. Is that the sort of gate we're discussing here?
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  20:16:47  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
I was wondering how long Fzoul's had a tel'kiira stuck in his forehead. As far back as 1350? He's a semi-tagonist in my Pools of Darkness adventure and I wanted to get the description on that right.

I would ask what the story is behind it, but I'm sure that's a question just as easily answered by others.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  03:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Just spotted Ed's post over at Babel Clash (the Borders blog). It's at www.bordersblog.com/scifi/
. . . and for a week, Ed Greenwood, Bill Slaviscek (director of D&D for Wizards) and Jeff Mariotte (author of quite a few tie-in novels, and a new Dark Sun novel) will be chatting there. Followed by R.A. Salvatore (and perhaps his son and co-author, Geno, too).
So, Ed, have you figured out how to post on the site, yet?
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  03:36:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Ed says he hasn't. As you obviously saw, BB, he logged on and commented on Bill's post. Ed tells me the "Dashboard" he was looking at when he tested his access a few days back looks completely different on his screen now (no, he hasn't the foggiest why). In between work shifts at his library day job, however, he promises to keep plugging away until he masters his tech glitches...he just hopes his aging Flash (newest his computers can load) isn't preventing him from seeing vital boxes, buttons, and suchlike, when he does his woodpecker thing (woodpecker: Canadian techspeak for someone who spends far too much time vainly pecking away at a keyboard).

Ah, technology . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  07:00:49  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

I was wondering how long Fzoul's had a tel'kiira stuck in his forehead. As far back as 1350? He's a semi-tagonist in my Pools of Darkness adventure and I wanted to get the description on that right.

I would ask what the story is behind it, but I'm sure that's a question just as easily answered by others.

That's a kiira? I thought it was a random gem...
Anyway I'm waiting for a reply re Dauneth and Gwennath.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  07:13:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I've always thought that was a Gem of Insight. Probably affixed with Sovereign Glue so nobody can steal it while Fzoul's sleeping. Ooops.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  09:25:54  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Heya,

I had a question regarding silverfire in 4th edition.
We know what silverfire is (or isn't) when compared to the Weave.
I was wondering in what way silverfire is different from the current system of magic?
The current magic is more directly drawn from the world around it (it doesn't use the weave), though there are various 'method's for it.
So in this new system, how does silverfire fit?
(note that there is a Paragon Path that grants you silverfire, but I assume it may not be THE silverfire as we know it...)

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  16:24:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
To Sandstorm and others:
if SFCONTARIO doesn't turn your crank or you're unable to attend because of its timing, Ed will be a guest of honor again at the upcoming AD ASTRA (April 8th through 10th, Friday through Sunday, 2011) in Toronto, which I believe is again going to be held in the hotel that's forever changing its name, located in the NE corner of where the Don Valley Parkway crosses over Eglinton Avenue East. I'll share more details as I learn them, but the hotel info and more can be found right now at the Ad Astra website (Google "Ad Astra 2011," because there are some old websites out there from previous Ad Astras to confuse the unalert surfer).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  18:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
AAAh, wonderful! Thanks so very much THO. I wasn't able to make this upcoming one due to work, so April is a much better date to be able to play around with. Much appreciated :)
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  11:32:52  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well Met All

In honour of Armistice day I would like to ask a question or three on how Cormyr remembers its dead on the Feast of the Moon.

Does the Crown recognise the day and honour the dead with pomp and ceremony and parades? Is there a focus point in Suzail for the remembrance and recollection of those that have passed? Or is it left to the Church of Tempus to lead the March of the Dead?

What celebrations take place in the small villages, (e.g. Thunderstone or Eveningstar) of the Forest Kingdom? Especially if there is no temple/shrine or local priest of Tempus?

Re Tempus: How prominent is his faith in Cormyr and would/could the Church make sure that every village have a priest available on The Feast of the Moon to lead the March of the Dead?

Thanks

Damian
Lest we forget.......

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  18:42:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Damian. Ed will have to make proper answer, of course, but the short version is this: that the morning of the Feast of the Moon is devoted to last-minute preparations, around highsun there's a Call (warhorns, from battlements) and then a march (to slow music) for the war fallen (civilian casualties as well as soldiery) from a fortress or waypost through a village/town/city to a monument (or lacking that, temple, or lacking THAT, a market square or known war grave). There's a ceremony there, then usually an inspiraional speech about the realm being strong and a bright future for Cormyr, then the feast begins, and goes well into the night, being eating and drinking and spoken remembrances of the dead (everybody's dead, that is; all the ancestors and their tales and toasts and salutes and thanks to them).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  21:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
A few questions about my favorite Realms females:
We know Symrustar Auglamyr created two very powerful spells (Mystra's Miasma and Symrustar's Spelbinding) as well as a very powerful magic item (Symrustar's Choker). My question is, these are the obvious examples of high-level works. Did Symrustar have any other notable magical works, whether of higher level or lower?
This is also related to my continuing Symrustar campaign: How would Mystra's death (both the ToT and the Spellplague) affect the Weave around Earth differently than the one around Toril?
Lastly, (I'm doing it this somewhat subtle way so as to give a higher chance of success) if for some reason, some 100 years after the Spellplague, the Simbul would appear and look for her former apprentices (at least the most notable of them), where would she be able to find them, and in what condition?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  22:54:20  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed. Well, it seems that even a troll can sometimes lead to interesting questions. There's a new scribe posting a bunch of aggressive, trollish statements around in the past couple of days. Among other things, he/she is somehow convinced Elminster has had no impact on the Realms whatsoever.

Ignoring that rather ridiculous opening premise still got me thinking about the impact various people have had, which led to my question: What would you say are three really important things Elminster has accomplished that no one knows about? "No one" in this case means us Realms fans, though it probably also means anyone in the Realms as well. I'd also be interested in hearing the same about Khelben, and any of the Seven you care to share as well.

And a related question: if the above had to pick their top two or three accomplishments that they were most proud of over their lives, what would they be?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  02:24:04  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
*MINOR SPOILER ALERTS*

Haha!! Elminster having no impact? Come on! P.s. I have to pick up Elminster in Hell again. First time I did I had to put it down after 50 pages or so and never got back to it. MAN that was a heavy read. REally? His arm ripped off and tentacles ripped through his nose etc... Ed... what were you on!?!?! (actually loved that part though)

I had a phone conversation with a friend of mine last night who called me at 1 in the morning. He had just finished reading the Erevis Cale Trilogy and was SO ticked off by its ending he had to call me and vent. Anyway, we got to talking, and at what point in time he said "Prince Rivalen could kill Elminster."

I laughed.

Sorry, your comment of Elminster not having an impact reminded me of that RIDICULOUS conversation I had last night.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  02:59:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I thought it was ridiculous too, but it did get me thinking, and I'm genuinely interested in what Ed's response will be. So there's that to be said for it, at least.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  03:31:46  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Yes, interesting questions, when posed without trollish aggressiveness. I'm just hoping NDAs won't prevent Ed giving us some really juicy answers (I mean, if their achievements are still secret, it might be because of some things not yet published . . .)
Yet I remain ever hopeful.
Ed and THO, it can't be said often enough: boy, is it appreciated that you give us Realms fans your attention, your banter, your insights, and your pearls of Realmslore.
PLEASE, keep it coming . . .
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  11:46:43  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, Damian. Ed will have to make proper answer, of course, but the short version is this:
love,
THO

Thank you Good Lady. I look forward to what Ed can add.

Duitful novice scribe off to update the Cormyr thread

Best wishes

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  15:16:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
You're very welcome, Damian.
Menelvagor, re. this: "Did Symrustar have any other notable magical works, whether of higher level or lower?"
Ed has conveyed to me, thus far, only this: Yes.
(He promises there'll be much more to come, eventually, by way of a reply to you.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  22:54:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Since I was the last to post here, I'll just edit this post (and hopefully THO will still catch it).

Ed - I was just reading through Savage Frontier, and after a certain entry a thought occurred to me: The Sea of Fallen Stars, The Moonsea, and The Starmounts... they all have related origins, don't they?

If you can't answer, I understand (I won't shed any Tears).

Edit2: Ack! Almost forgot my real question - The Lost Peaks. Early lore indicates they are two peaks, but they are always drawn as a 'range'. Can I assume two very large peaks, with many smaller mountains and hills around them?

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I thought it was ridiculous too, but it did get me thinking, and I'm genuinely interested in what Ed's response will be. So there's that to be said for it, at least.
Note my answer to said statement.

I do not question just how much Elminster has influenced the Realms in the past thousand years, I question just how much the events surrounding the fall of Athalantar weren't steered in such a way as to create the man who would be Elminster.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Nov 2010 07:10:14
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  16:56:29  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
First of all, thanks for the great news, especially the unspoken part - since Ed didn't say my question about the Simbul's apprentices was NDA, it can be assumed I'll get an answer!
Secondly, another question: In Blackstaff Tower, Torlyn Wands says he has all of the Seven's mundane writings. So my question is, of course, what books did the Seven write, both mundane and magical, what were they about, and which of the Seven wrote each one? Lastly. did they ever write a book together, either all of them or some of them?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  22:56:00  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
I need to pick thy brain about something Ed. Might be something that has come up before. Would a detect magic spell reveal an antimagic field?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  03:17:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Yes. Antimagic is magic, otherwise it would collapse on itself in the casting.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  18:56:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Yup.

Anti-magic is NOT dead-magic: It is still weave(arcane)-based.

In much the same way that an anti-missile missile is still a missile.

Which makes me now wonder if you can get two anti-magic fields to dispel each other.

Not asking here - I will ask over on the appropriate thread.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  22:30:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I'm interested in reading this antimagic discussion. Please post a link to the scroll here, Markus.

[Edit - to minimize clutter in this sacred scroll, I offer my thanks in advance.]

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 14 Nov 2010 22:33:09
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  11:00:56  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
ED & THO,

A question concerning the Shadows of the Avatar trilogy. Cloak of Shadows and All Shadows Fled have precise dating for the events therein, whereas the first part (Shadows of Doom) does not. I was wondering if there was a reason for this. I got the impression that Shadows of Doom may not have been intended, originally, to be hooked up to the Time of Troubles, whereas the second and third of the trilogy clearly are. Was Shadows of Doom perhaps intended to be a stand-alone (or the start of a series of) novel(s) about "Elminster's daily life"?

Cheers, and thanks again for Ze Realms!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  20:56:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Your suspicion is partly correct. SHADOWS OF DOOM was originally entitled "Elminster's Doom" (the title cited in the quotations that appear in the sourcebook CODE OF THE HARPERS), and was supposed to be the first of a duology about Elminster coping with an inability to cast spells, because he was "bulging" with a rush of roiling silver fire after the death of Mystra (part of, yes, the Time of Troubles).
So the book was always linked to the ToT, but wasn't originally intended to be a trilogy or to so closely parallel the unfolding Troubles by looking at the wider struggle with the Malaugrym, or mention the Rangers Three at all. Brian Thomsen looked at two of Ed's long list of book ideas, for himself or anyone else to write about the Realms, thought two of them would go together very well, and told Ed to start writing.
And at top speed, Ed did.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  21:24:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I half wish that the Elminster's Doom you describe had actually been published, THO, though Shadows of Doom was still an engaging novel.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000