Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  01:58:03  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I'm planning on attending this new convention in Toronto, SFContario, later this month. I know Ed was invited to attend as a panelist, and was planning on going; Ed, has that changed? What days/panels will you been appearing on/in? And will there be a chance to "chat Realms"?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  04:33:56  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
aaaah no way!!! im 3 hours from Toronto. Whats the full details on that?
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  15:38:44  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
Hello All,

I've more questions for THO and Ed regarding Cormyr's War Wizards. Thank you very much in advance for your consideration and response! :)

Did Cormyr ever place much importance in keeping track of the deeds of its War Wizards and setting all that information down in writing? I.e. not just when they joined and what their Wizard Mark was, but when each member of the brotherhood attained rank or recognition, when and how they died and some mention of their history of service or betrayal?

If the Crown were in dire need of a reliable history of past War Wizards, could it look to the scribes and sages of the Royal Court for information or would they be forced to consult master bards and/or Court Heralds? Does the current Royal Mage have some sort of gift or ability passed on from prior Royal Mages that allows for a kind of instant recall of this information?

To me the novels seem to depict War Wizards constantly on the move, with nary a chance to stop and relate to someone else the “why” behind their decisions (unless they’re telling someone, “because the Lord High Mage of all Cormyr said so” in order to get some specific thing done), before they get blasted to bits in battle or fade into obscurity. So...do War Wizards have the time for journal writing? Were elder War Wizards lucky enough to survive into old age ever encouraged to write, or discouraged from writing, their memoirs?

Lastly, were War Wizards at any point in Cormyr’s history required to give tissue samples (hair, nails, bit of skin or a chunk of flesh) as part of the process of joining the War Wizard ranks?

Thanks again!

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 05 Nov 2010 15:39:46
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  19:50:26  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
I think it would be easy to manipulate written word.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  20:13:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Sandstorm, I know Ed will be attending SFCONTARIO from around midday Saturday, November 20th to mid-day Sunda the 21st, and doing four or five panels during that time.
The con is at a downtown Ramada in Toronto, the Ramada Plaza Toronto Hotel at 300 Jarvis Street, underground parking onsite (costs extra). Phone (416) 977-4825 ext. 0 or 1-800-567-2233, but these two numbers get you a central Ramada reservation booking service, not the hotel itself. I'll get you full details of registration cost and Ed's schedule as soon as I have them.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  20:24:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Mr. Miscellany, here's a first stab at some answers, from me (Ed will bat cleanup, in my wake, when he has the opportunity):
War Wizard writings are secret, scattered and hidden, coded, and sparse: forbidden about most topics, though all of the things you mention are recorded somewhere, somehow (Alaphondar and his predecessors are one place to ask for them, as is the current Court Wizard, which from Vangerdahast onwards has been a post held by the Royal Magician rather than, as formerly, a separate one).
No, there's no "instant recall" in any Royal Magician's head. There ARE some "magically-recorded remembrances" captured in items that can be accessed by anyone with sufficient skill-at-Art, who knows where the items are and how to handle them. "Some," I said, not a lot. There's no such thing as an existing coherent and comprehensive history of the War Wizards, so if the Crown for some reason wanted such a thing, they'd have to try to cobble it together by asking all sorts of people. Vangerdahast is really the font of knowledge for the "modern" Wizards of War, and he's still around, but getting to speak to him, and even more importantly convincing him to give truthful answers, is going to be VERY difficult for anyone but the reigning monarch . . . and even they will have no way of knowing, most of the time, if he's lying or omitting important details of the truth.
The novels depict the War Wizards dashing about not giving reasons largely because the novels tend to highlight crises/moments of peril/combat and confrontation. However, the War Wizards are NOT in the habit of explaining themselves, just as real-world police and government agents will only reveal or share the information they want to, not submit to on the street interrogations by any average citizen they may speak with. Journal writing by active (not retired) War Wizards is forbidden unless it's kept coded and hidden, and even retired War Wizards risk reprisals if they reveal state secrets (under some Royal Magicians and some monarches, that also seems to extend to "relating anything embarrassing about us").
All War Wizards give vials of blood as part of their initiation or shortly before or after. I'll leave it to Ed about hair, etc. because I'm not certain of the details.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  20:58:18  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
Thank you very much THO!
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  01:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Thanks THO, I appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  03:13:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Sandstorm. Haven't managed to catch Ed yet, for his schedule, but the con site is: www.sfcontario.ca and the con registration seems to be $55.00 for the weekend ($42 for teen/young adult, $30 for a child).
When Ed and I talked about the con, he was slated to be on 3 panels on Saturday and 1 on Sunday, but that may have changed as the con organizers firmed up their schedule.
I'll check with Ed and get you the details ASAP.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  18:22:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Sandstorm (and anyone else interested):
Ed's "final" panel schedule is:

1 pm Saturday in Ballroom A: THE DECLINE OF THE WRITTEN EMPIRE
with e-books, 3000 channel television, web casts, and Kindle, is the "book" on the way out? And how do you get an author's signature on an iBook? (moderated by Beverley Bambury; Alison Baird, Ed Greenwood, Sandra Kasturi, Karl Schroeder)

3 pm Saturday in Ballroom B/C: EXPOSITION VERSUS CHARACTER
At a Clarion workshop, Michael Swanwick said "All writing is about finding the correct balance between dinosaurs and sodomy," referring to the balance between science (setting/exposition) and fiction (characters and plot). John Campbell argued that too much character got in the way of the science. Was he right? How should authors balance these aspects of a story? Has this changed over the history of science fiction? (moderated by Hayden Trenholm; Ed Greenwood, Violette Malan, Robert Sawyer, Caro Soles)

5 pm Saturday in Gardenview: LEARNING TO WRITE
Is it possible to learn how to write? Why does Clarion enjoy such a great reputation when the fact is that two-thirds of those who attend it never publish a single word professionally? Aren't writers workshops just the blind leading the blind? What should you look for in a creative-writing course? Will you learn more about writing by reading the dozen or so good books out there in how to write SF, or by reading a dozen true classic novels, such as To Kill A Mockingbird and The Catcher In The Rye? (moderated by Tony Pi; Ed Greenwood, Ira Nayman, David Nickle, Jana Paniccia)

11 am Sunday in Ballroom B/C: FAMILY TREES OF FANTASY
There's an obvious line of descent from Tolkien to modern fantasy, but there are also other, less obvious ones; Hope Mirlees to Susanna Clarke, Fritz Leiber to Michael Moorcock, etc. How does first generation fantasy influence what we read and write today? (moderated by Teresa Nielsen Hayden; James Alan Gardner, Ed Greenwood, Michael Swanwick, Jo Walton)

So there you have it. That last one should be fun.
Knowing Ed, he probably won't be at the con much before his first panel or more than an hour or so after the last one ends, but he always likes to chat, and should be "around" on Saturday evening . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2010 :  04:54:23  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
A quick question, which I'm directing to Ed, since I haven't found any place to question Erin Andrews. I'm assuming he can answer himself, or get answers, or tell me where to get answers:
What more can we know about Nazra Mrays and Aundra Blacklock? Also, what does Ed (or Erin?) see Tennora and Nestrix doing after the end of the book, other that what was stated? Lastly, how much of Nestrix's power is truly gone? Is it that she's a normal human now, or is there still some vestige of power which may help her in dire need, or allow her to return to her past form?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2010 :  07:22:06  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Hello, first time posting here on these forums, and indeed I joined here specifically to ask Ed a question after these Q&A threads were brought to my attention. I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before in this thread or any of the previous years; several threads each upwards of 80 pages is daunting to say the least, and by the time I made it through them with my schedule, any questions I had remaining would be left for a "Questions for Ed Greenwood(2013)" thread. And on the off chance the 2012 end of the world crowd is right, I'll go ahead and ask.

First, a little backstory; I'm running a campaign that centers around a group of amnesiac drow making their way through the underdark as they slowly regain their memories. One of the major challenges they face is a plaguechanged monster which, unknown to the characters, was originally a member of their group, and one of their lovers. When brainstorming/discussing with the player who's character — a male drow wizard — was lovers with this tragic creature, I brought up the possibility that the plaguechanged was originally another male drow, and that his character, who's sexuality hadn't been touched on yet, was gay, as my interpritation of his character was that he was someone who wouldn't willfully enter into a relationship that wasn't based on mutual respect. Of course, what a male drow will willingly do is rarely important to a female drow, but the emotional reaction I wanted to get for the story was that spawned of a loving relationship, and such a relationship between typical heterosexual drow seemed a bit, for lack of a better term, sue-ish to me.

In the end the player didn't feel comfortable rping a gay character and it was his choice, so I didn't push the idea. But the discussion did raise the question as to what the general attitudes towards homosexuality/bisexuality(both male and female) in drow society specifically, and the realms in general, are? Where is it considered a taboo? Where, if anywhere, is it seen as perfectly acceptable?

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY

Edited by - Chosen of Asmodeus on 07 Nov 2010 07:22:49
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2010 :  17:10:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Menelvagor, I bring this response from Ed re. Erin:

Hi, Menelvagor. You raise some good questions that I dare not try to answer - - because I know Erin's hard at work on another book for Wizards of the Coast, and it MIGHT be a sequel to THE GOD CATCHER (or might not). Erin created those characters, and it would be "over the line" for me to say anything that might constrain, influence, or contradict anything she wants to do with them (unless we're working together directly on some future project). So she is the right person to ask these questions of.
However, I see your problem. I suspect Erin will be hard to contact until she's finished the draft she's working on, because she's largely fallen silent on the Net, these last few months (type "slushlush" into Google and look for Erin Evans and not the other "slushlush" who reviews music).
Erin is a good writer and editor, and a delightful person, and I was very sad to see her position with Wizards disappear as they downsized.
I want all of the writers I worked with on the "Presents Waterdeep" series (and several I haven't had the chance to work with, yet) to rise into long-term dominance on the hardcover bestseller lists, because they're all interesting writers headed towards greatness . . . but I also want all of them to remain frequent scribes of life in the Realms, because I'm a greedy reader who LOVES good Realms fiction. Which is a longwinded way of saying I want answers to your questions, too - - but I'd prefer that the answer be a series of novels rather than a few direct sentences, if I have my druthers.
Sigh. It's been a too-long litany of loss: Mary, Jim, Marlys, Eric, Bill, Brian, Rob, Peter, Mark, Phil, Courtney, Erin, Susan . . . I know this is the way of life, everywhere, but I never want to stop working with friends. Ah, well; back to plotting the next Elminster book.

So saith Ed. Who values love and friendships above all else.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2010 :  17:34:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. I bring Ed's response to this, from Chosen of Asmodeus: ". . . but the discussion did raise the question as to what the general attitudes towards homosexuality/bisexuality (both male and female) in drow society specifically, and the realms in general, are? Where is it considered a taboo? Where, if anywhere, is it seen as perfectly acceptable?"
Ed replies:

As in our real world, attitudes towards sex, sexual mores and expression, and sexual "orientation" (for want of a better term) vary widely from place to place and person to person. In general, tolerance of a wide variety of sexual practices (including interracial sex, which of course doesn't in the Realms mean unions or dalliances among humans of different skin hues, but literally between different species, from lizardfolk to pixies, and elves to hobgoblins (not to mention all the shapeshifters, such as dragons and doppelgangers) is greater in large "crossroads" urban centers such as Waterdeep, less in smaller ports (Waterdeep, Suzail), a little less in inland trade-moots such as Crimmor and Scornubel, a little less in market-towns, then a shade less along busy trade-routes that caravans ply, and the least in rural communities (in true wilderness, anything goes, because it's reduced to the level of individuals). Certain faiths in the pantheistic Realms (where everyone "believes" in ALL gods, and most folk actively worship more than one deity, daily) have various rules about sexual practices, and where those faiths are locally dominant, their doctrines influence local mores. However, wide-open tolerance and absolute taboos are rare, anywhere.
Among drow, specifically, the various drow cities are sharply independent of each other (except in cases where a strong city dominates nearby neighbors), and have widely different forms of government and laws (for instance, the matriarchal Lolth-worshipping rival-noble-houses society we see in Menzo is frequent and widespread, but not universal; in some drow societies, the open rivalries we see in, say, Bob's trilogy of Drizzt's youth would be seen as treason to the entire city, and would NOT be tolerated). So again, I can't give any hard-and-fast rules about sexual rules and attitudes, beyond saying that in the matriarchal drow societies, female priests can generally do as they please (have sexual relationships with each other, and all handy males) and males can't generally do as they please, sexually.
The game leaves sexual matters largely unspoken-of both to avoid offending customers (some gamers, and their parents) and to allow a DM and players to tailor "their" D&D games and "their" Realms to styles of play they most enjoy and are comfortable with. In short, if everyone around the gaming table is an adult feeling randy, the game can reflect that - - but if children or embarrassed and impressionable young adults are present, sex can be utterly absent from game play. (I'll avoid the inevitable moral debate about slaughtering monsters being okay and at the heart of the game, but sex, including tender and loving lovemaking, being omitted.)
So the short answer is: there are no hard-and-fast, Realms-wide rules or attitudes. As in real life, everything's complicated, and everything requires interaction (okay, roleplaying) between individuals. One female's rough enjoyable sex is another woman's rape. One person's loving and beloved by the gods multiple marriages are another person's blasphemy. And so on. I WILL say that in the Realms, most folk live far more in touch with life (birth, death, dirt, more "things" than money, more chores to stay alive with shelter and food and less "freedom to pursue careers"), and sex is less "not talked about" and hidden than it is in our modern real-world North American societies.
In your game, you should do what you feel most comfortable doing. If you want all drow to be heterosexual and utterly intolerant of anything else, make it so. If you want them all to ache for sex with anyone or anything handy thrice a day, again, make it so. Just be sure to think through the consequences of how your choices will affect society . . . because adventurers inevitably end up exploiting the details, divisions, and "gray areas" in society.

So saith Ed, who is steadily becoming an older and wiser gray area, himself.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2010 :  18:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Hey THO. Thanks for the update on Ed's panel schedule. You're right, the last one does sound like it would be an interesting sit down. Now I'm just praying I wont have to work, for me and a few of my friends would love to drive down for that.

Another question (surprise surpise :P) i had heard through a grapevine that Mr. Greenwood was on set for Lord of the Rings in New Zealand. Is this true? And if so, what sort of inputs did he have? I always feel the need to bring that up to people who watch the movie but DONT read Forgotten REalms. "See how they use the word halfling...? Ya, they dont say halfling in Tolkien's novels" etc...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2010 :  19:39:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sandstorm

"See how they use the word halfling...? Ya, they dont say halfling in Tolkien's novels" etc...

Actually, Treebeard used the term.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2010 :  20:09:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I believe the Gondorans did as well... although its been some 35 years since I read those books.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2010 :  23:32:43  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
The Gondorans call Pippen 'Prince of Halflings', which is an anglicization of Ernil i Periannath or 'prince of half-men'. And Wooly has the right of it, as well; when Treebeard enters them into the 'long list', he refers to them as halflings.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  00:15:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I believe the Gondorans did as well... although its been some 35 years since I read those books.

Markustay is correct. Hobbits were by Men most often called Halflings because they were "half" the height of Men.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  03:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
A panel with Swanwick and Walton AND Ed? I'm SO going! (Er, if I can get time off work).
Ahem.
Dear Ed and THO,
A question: how do you usually handle "sideline" roleplaying that one player wants to do alone? Not adventuring, but his/her character's "day job," training, making contacts, buying and selling stuff . . . all of that.
?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  04:08:19  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
well thats what I meant, Treebeard called them Halflings etc... which I believe is the incorporation of modern fantasy into those movies. Since "Halfling" isn't a term that Tolkien used, it shows an intergration. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  05:16:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sandstorm

well thats what I meant, Treebeard called them Halflings etc... which I believe is the incorporation of modern fantasy into those movies. Since "Halfling" isn't a term that Tolkien used, it shows an intergration. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's what we were telling you. The term "halfling" is used by Tolkien. Just a quick flip thru Return of the King, I found it twice.

Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  05:17:30  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
aaah no way. ok my bad.
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  05:18:25  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
I thought y ou were saying that they used it in the MOVIE and that you were agreeing with me.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  06:07:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Okay, I think we can hold off on most of this side-chatter, eh?

Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  06:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Ha Ha ya, sorry THO. We're cloggin up your feed with pointless jabber. My bad ;)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  11:16:13  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Thanks, THO, and pass along my thanks to Ed.

My next questions are about one of my favorite fantasy races; orcs. For a long time orcs have been potrayed in fantasy as that mass of cannon fodder for the heroes to slaughter and to be controlled by a more powerful villain, while recently there's been the growing tendancy to potray them as a noble savage achitype, a proud warrior race, and often every bit as formidable as any human, dwarf, or elf.

With the addition to the Kingdom of Many-Arrows to the Realms, do you think this trend will carry over as well? Can we expect to see orcs in more prominent, if not necessarily posistive roles in future Realms fiction? And do you think a rise in competence from stupid cannon fodder to skilled, proud warrior race could threaten orc's position as villains, similar to how some feel Drizzt's popularizing of the renegade drow made that race less threatening, or do you think that this could be an oppertunity to show orcs as a truly dangerous, threatening force instead of something any farmboy with a sword can deal with?

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  14:27:13  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed,

A quick question that I've been pondering over with regards to the use of Mystra's divine essence that can be found in the Chosen. Mostly, it's as it relates to Cynosure, that demiplane/plane where only gods can go. This does sort of drift towards "rules" a little bit rather than the info behind the mechanics, but anyway.

In order to get into Cynosure (in 3.0-3.5, at least - I'm not sure about previous or subsequent editions), you need "Divine Rank 0" - which I usually take to mean you need some sort of divine spark or divine essence within you in order to successfully activate a gate/portal etc. that takes you there. Chosen of Mystra have shards of Mystra's divine energy within them, so could they actually use it (or at least "be recognised as holding divine power" by the gateway) in order to enter Cynosure without a deity opening the door for them? Or do they need to ask one such deity (presumably Mystra given their status, or MAYBE Azuth) to open the door and let them in for whatever reason they have to be in there?

It seems to me that a gateway might passively recognise the essence and allow the Chosen entry, but if you actively need to do something then it would block them just like any other (since, as far as I know, the Chosen are forbidden to actually USE the divine essence that they have within them). Are the gateways passive or active?

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  04:07:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

With the addition to the Kingdom of Many-Arrows to the Realms, do you think this trend will carry over as well? Can we expect to see orcs in more prominent, if not necessarily posistive roles in future Realms fiction? And do you think a rise in competence from stupid cannon fodder to skilled, proud warrior race could threaten orc's position as villains, similar to how some feel Drizzt's popularizing of the renegade drow made that race less threatening, or do you think that this could be an oppertunity to show orcs as a truly dangerous, threatening force instead of something any farmboy with a sword can deal with?

This is just my own opinion, but part of the appeal of drow is their sexiness... Unless the orcs undergo a physical makeover, I don't see them ever gaining the appeal of drow.

There's a reason that humans, elves, and those races very similar to one or the other are the ones that are popular.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  04:20:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

This is just my own opinion, but part of the appeal of drow is their sexiness... Unless the orcs undergo a physical makeover, I don't see them ever gaining the appeal of drow.
Heh. Just drop some Irda into the Realms!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000