Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  03:52:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Vangy 'ended' creating one of the most powerful pieces of magic ever devised in the Realms (and got in lots of trouble with a VERY powerful group that took umbrage to that piece of magic).

I believe in Elminster's Daughter Elminster is confronted by a female war wizard with a magical 'gunne' of wands created by Vangerdehast, and the Old Mage is disgusted by the frivolty (and he remembered helping Vangy create one of those wands as well).

So we have seen brief glimpses of his creativity (especially when devising a cure for Azoun in Cormyr: A Novel), and apparently he was trained in creating his own spells and magical items, at least in-part, by Elminster himself.

Now a question: Are the movie rights 'complicated' because its a shared world? Normally an author sells the rights of his book to a producer, but things are not quite that simple in a corporate-owned IP.

Not that I care - I'd prefer a really well-made cartoon over a cheesy low-budget movie any day.

Oh, and another question... does any of the old (original) material given to TSR, that was never used, ever appear from time to time in novels and/or sources? In other words, are they still 'mining' the treasure-trove you sent them?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Oct 2010 16:45:03
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  05:19:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
Thanks, Ed and THO! I kinda expected Spellfire. Wouldn't The Making of a Mage be good as well?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  08:36:08  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

A memory just struck me, related to your question about Vangerdahast's spells, Damian. I think one HAS appeared in print, in Realmslore, but wasn't identified as his creation at the time, and isn't named for him, but that in later Realmsplay Vangey said it was "one of his" creations (with Ed, of course, as DM, speaking for Vangey the NPC). What I can't for the life of me remember right now is just which spell . . .
Ah, getting old . . .
love,
THO

Hmmm... Might that be the ghost pipes spell, first published, as far as I know, in the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  10:50:50  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Recently, a new candidate has arisen, that would work very well in a movie suitable for younger viewers as well as adults: CITY OF THE DEAD.

Oh I'd just die (ahem) to see City of the Dead done in a "British costume-drama at its best" kind of way. I can actually "see" an image of the Carvers' home right now - shot with a warm palette with plenty of yellows and browns, the wind rattling the shutters on the windows as a rain as soft as the lens used to shoot soap operas with is making rings in the puddles on the cobblestone street outside... Ah well, I can dream, can't I?

And a question for Ed - who usually owns the mill (the "mill-mill", as in the kind used to make flour that is) in the Cormyrean countryside - the miller himself, a local lord/"big" local merchant, the crown, the local "community", or maybe someone else?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 31 Oct 2010 10:51:19
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  20:03:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Erik, Ed has sent me more. (Please check.)

Markustay, re. this: "Now a question: Are the movie rights 'complicated' because its a shared world?"
Answer: no. The current situation is nothing to do with Ed or with the Realms being a shared world, rather with how TSR handled the movie rights, years ago.

Kajehase: although the miller is sometimes a tenant, in a mill owned by a local noble family (usually because they were a creditor to a miller who went bust), most Cormyrean millers own their own mills. Important note: millers hold a royal licence that allows them to dam/constrict the free flow of the watercourse, and it can be revoked if they misbehave (under-report their milling to evade taxes, refuse to mill anyone's grain, steal from those who bring them grain to be milled by taking more than their share of the milled result, etc.). Meaning their mill is shut down, its grindstones removed. They can then either pay fines and plead to have it reopened, or sell it to someone else to run. Long ago, one miller refused to recognize the authority of the crown over him, and burned down his mill after it was shut down. A member of the royal family was on hand to witness the defiance, and with his permission, a local War Wizard shut the miller inside his own privy, which became the man's pyre when the flames from the mill reached it.
(This mill lore is all paraphrased from Ed's notes, by me.)

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  23:43:07  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Much obliged, oh Hooded One. And that particular miller's fate should put another nail into the coffin of the "Cormyr is all knights in shining armour and jolly peasants dancing 'round the maypole" attitude.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  03:27:48  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Hey THO. My campaign enacted to the said spell that Ed suggested I use, and "Dissasembly" worked wonderfully. Thanks again for the suggestion. Though it is not a spell I shall enter into the characters everyday repetoire, I used it as Gond (in this case, the character Gond was played by Ed Greenwood) imposing through divine intervention.

Also, my campaign is taking place in the farming fields outside of Aglarond. Anything you can tell me about the region and/or city? Its the only one not mentioned in detail in Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  03:37:13  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Dear Ed...I've tried to cover as many lost and ancient elf realms as I can find...are there any that I've missed & where were they located (excluding under sea & under dark)?????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/

Edited by - Snowblood on 01 Nov 2010 03:41:31
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  13:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

Dear Ed...I've tried to cover as many lost and ancient elf realms as I can find...are there any that I've missed & where were they located (excluding under sea & under dark)?????

You keep missing Ilythiir

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gavinfoxx
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  19:07:15  Show Profile Send Gavinfoxx a Private Message
Hello Ed!

I browsed a bit through the FRCS for tidbits to flesh out the worship of my Rashemen Druid of Mielikki (playing in a 3.5e game if it matters), and I'd like some help with some of the worshipful stuff.
-As of the mid 1360's / early 1370's, what are some of the primary religious rituals that a travelling Druid of Mielikki would do each month? Each year? FRCS mentions some feasts on the Equinoxes and Solstices, what are some details of those? And there is something about a ritual every month of service? What are some of the various sects of druids / clerics of nature deities / etc. that this character, who is actively searching for and is interested in becoming an initiate in a large number of the 'non exclusionary' druidic sects as possible, be likely to find amenable to letting her join? What are some of the main and allied deities that a Druid of Mielikki would venerate as, 'first and foremoest Mielikki, but these are especially important as well'? Also, in general, I'm trying to find stuff that talks about groups, festivals, local practices, stuff like that which would be relevant to this character's themes -- do you know any books, novels or otherwise, which would help?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  19:10:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

You keep missing Ilythiir

NOBODY misses Ilythiir.

No sane person, anyway.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ralderick Hallowshaw
Acolyte

Italy
36 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  19:43:35  Show Profile  Visit Ralderick Hallowshaw's Homepage Send Ralderick Hallowshaw a Private Message
Hi Ed & THO,
I have a question concerning a cormyrean npc, the famous war wizard Maxer Hlar, Defender of Suzail.

He's only briefly described in the published lore, AFAIK.

Can you share more informations about him?

PS: I'm a bit excided 'cause it's the first time I ask directly the creator of the Realms...
And sorry for my lapses with english language.

"Adventurers are best used to slay monsters. Sooner or later, they become your worst monsters, and you have to hire new ones to do the obvious thing" - Ralderick Hallowshaw, Jester - from To Rule A Realm, From Turret To Midden, published circa The Year of the Bloodbird

And forgive me for my bad use of English language!

Edited by - Ralderick Hallowshaw on 01 Nov 2010 23:20:10
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  22:21:16  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Okay, I'll bite: who is Maxer Hlar? Is this the same Maxer who was Storm Silverhand's consort? (I don 't remember that one having the surname or "defender of suzail" sobriquet, so where in published lore were they mentioned?) Ralderick? Anyone?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Ralderick Hallowshaw
Acolyte

Italy
36 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  23:19:29  Show Profile  Visit Ralderick Hallowshaw's Homepage Send Ralderick Hallowshaw a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Helm

Okay, I'll bite: who is Maxer Hlar? Is this the same Maxer who was Storm Silverhand's consort? (I don 't remember that one having the surname or "defender of suzail" sobriquet, so where in published lore were they mentioned?) Ralderick? Anyone?
Thanks!

No, he's not the same Maxer involved with Storm, IIRC.

He's a war wizard and a member of the Council of Mages (according to loremaster Brian Cortijo); he's briefly mentioned in VGtC (p.16), in the paragraph concerning the defenders of Suzail.

"Adventurers are best used to slay monsters. Sooner or later, they become your worst monsters, and you have to hire new ones to do the obvious thing" - Ralderick Hallowshaw, Jester - from To Rule A Realm, From Turret To Midden, published circa The Year of the Bloodbird

And forgive me for my bad use of English language!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2010 :  01:48:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Back on page 10 of this thread, Knight of the Gate asked for lore on any defunct knightly orders of the Realms that Ed might have created. I offered him, from my notes, the Order of the One, but Ed has finally chimed in with a brief reply about two more:

FINALLY found the notes I was looking for, wherein I’d marked what was NDA and what was “free and clear.”
So I can now tell you this much, Knight of the Gate:

• The Order of Mount Waterdeep (1342 DR to 1354 DR?): a handful of undercover maverick nobles, both defiant “younger sons” and “old wastrel uncles,” who wanted to keep the nobles firmly part of the government of Waterdeep (and curb the growing power of the guilds), plus “cherry pick” non-noble entrepreneurs and rising social powers in the city, individuals whom they admired the wits, skills, and achievements of, to invite them into the ranks of nobility through marriage, to keep the nobles “capable and formidable.” The Order acted as undercover matchmakers and busy “social networkers” at the clubs and revels of the nobility, and as vandals against guild activities that sought to sap or usurp the power and rights of nobles, as well as hampering undesirable “wannabe” nobles seeking to join the ranks of nobility by any means.
They were never numerous, and were opposed by some nobles who resented the idea of anyone at all seeking to influence who became noble and who did not, and by guilds. They were also infiltrated by Calguth’s Claw, an alhoon (illithilich)-led cabal that sought to gain influence over particular noble houses, to have them sponsor and hide Claw slaving activities. Piergeiron set Mirt, Asper, and certain other agents upon the Order, to shatter it, and they succeeded . . . though some members survive, and at least one of them hopes to refound the Order, if he ever manages to get free of a curse, and a certain shapeshifting dragon stops hunting him . . .

• The Order of Velen’s Heart (1357 DR to 1359 DR?): a handful of proud members of disposed wealthy Tethyrian families who sought to found a new kingdom in Velen. They fell afoul not only of the nobles who held sway over the peninsula, but of several organized groups of monsters who used the wilder areas of Velen as bases, and were gathering their own strength at the same time, seeking to reach out from their lairs to raid into the rest of Tethyr. The Order was swiftly riven and scattered, the few survivors fleeing into the Wealdath and from there trying to further their dream of founding a new realm. There were less than seven Order members by the winter of 1359, too few to have much hope of carving out a kingdom, but at least five of them are still alive, and may yet turn again to try to found a new realm . . .

So saith Ed. Who says there are another five Orders that might emerge from NDA-dom, once he gets a chance to talk to a certain person (probably at next GenCon) . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2010 :  15:22:32  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
Many thanks, Ed and THO! That's some tasty lore, right there: And into my 'DM's notebook' these two go....

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2010 :  15:24:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everybody.
Gavinfoxx, your queries are in Ed's hands for answering, but as a tiny start for a reply, I can tell you a little re. this: "what are some of the primary religious rituals that a travelling Druid of Mielikki would do each month?"
Ed has told us often (and we've roleplayed it, being as Florin Falconhand venerates Mielikki and has a close, special relationship with her) that travelling druids of Mielikki are duty-bound to call out dryads and aid them in small daily needs (i.e. perform simple tasks that the dryad by her nature cannot, to ease her life, remove sources of her irritation, etc.), and to do the same for small forest-dwelling creatures. Often this is something as simple as hampering uncaring woodcutters (such as those who seek to burn off underbrush to permanently clear forested areas, or to make their felling easier, as opposed to selecting individual trees and taking them down and out with a minimal disturbance of surroundings) by spell-creating boggy conditions and an incredible growth of tangled brambles and thornbushes, to force said cutters to clear all of this new, wet, won't burn well growth before they continue to cut back the forest. Treants are also to be aided, and unicorns and dryads defended by all means (i.e. full hurling of offensive druidic spells, mustering allies against foes of unicorns or dryads, etc.).
This reply comes from my play experience with Ed as DM, and from notes I made during play and talks with Ed, of what Ed said. He'll add more when he can . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  02:34:13  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Ed! Quick! What instrument would a dwarven bard use?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  02:58:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Sandstorm.
Ed says:

Hand-drums (like a real-world tomtom), glaur (pipes), and a klarra (bowed seven-metal-stringed "short dulcimer" instrument).

So saith Ed. There you go!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  03:11:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Oooh! Ed, I bet you knew that'd draw my attention.

Any chance you can share some further info on the "klarra" -- such as where it's primarily used, and by whom, etc?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  03:29:40  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oooh! Ed, I bet you knew that'd draw my attention.

Any chance you can share some further info on the "klarra" -- such as where it's primarily used, and by whom, etc?

And what sort of sound does that produce? I'm familiar with a dulcimer, but the bowing and metal strings (I would imagine) would add a hollow, haunting sound... I can hear dwarven dirge-chants echoing endlessly in caverns...

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  04:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Nice nice. Me and my buddy are partaking in a premade campaign this weekend, originally designed for four 3rd levels, but instead we're running two 6th levels. I'm running a CN Dwarven 4/2 Bard/Rogue. I want to get him just right. So I think I shall go with the Klarra. Sounds fun :)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  15:39:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! Sage and Knight of the Gate, I'll prod a reply out of Ed, never fear, but in the meantime, yes, the klarra can sound mournful (lone chanter at a distance) and like a dirge, but it can also snarl (Ed once described it as: "that last guitar wail JUST before the slow, penultimate climactic chords of the chorus, in the movie soundtrack of JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR [in the overture, the chords being the "JE-sus Christ, JE-sus Christ" motif])." For those not familiar with that music, I'll try to get him to provide some other musical examples.
In short, the dwarves use it for mournful sounds, but also for defiant "we shall endure" musical effects.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  16:11:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all! Sage and Knight of the Gate, I'll prod a reply out of Ed, never fear, but in the meantime, yes, the klarra can sound mournful (lone chanter at a distance) and like a dirge, but it can also snarl (Ed once described it as: "that last guitar wail JUST before the slow, penultimate climactic chords of the chorus, in the movie soundtrack of JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR [in the overture, the chords being the "JE-sus Christ, JE-sus Christ" motif])." For those not familiar with that music, I'll try to get him to provide some other musical examples.
In short, the dwarves use it for mournful sounds, but also for defiant "we shall endure" musical effects.
love,
THO

Not sure if this is the one you're talking about or not

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  18:27:15  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
quote:

Im guessing the Hand Drums would be more of a "We shall cracketh thee goblin skulls" musical effect?
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  18:51:28  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
I'd say more lie a beat for marching, or for striking stones with picks or cleaving hammers...
BA
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  01:10:43  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
As in, when mining or delving (= digging out underground tunnels, storage caverns, and abodes)?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  01:12:02  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
As in, when mining and delving, yes.
BA
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  11:21:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
God, BA and BB, I was kinda confused for a second there. I thought either of you made multiple posts.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  18:27:44  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
And now... return to relevance and music. One of my players wants a koto for his character, so I am obliged to ask if an equivalent exists in the Realms?
For those who don't know what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koto_(musical_instrument)

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000