Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  02:41:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Sandstorm, I met Gary only twice; Ed met him more often, doing panels with him at several conventions over the years. I believe he and Ed played together only a handful of times, usually both as D&D players with someone else (Jim Ward, I think, on at least one occasion) as DM. I heard of Gary DMing more than playing, but I should stress that's what I heard; my personal observances of the man were far too scanty to give any accurate overall impression of what he spent most of his gaming time doing, or preferred to do.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ananta
Acolyte

Finland
22 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  03:40:37  Show Profile  Visit Ananta's Homepage Send Ananta a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Thanx, Red, Sage. I guess that's one (minor) bit of lore we'll never learn.

I'll note also that Ao is the name of thirteen cloud gods in Oceanic mythology. Ao is also the name of the four dragon kings in Chinese mythology.

So there's a lot of "room" to play around with, should DMs wish to forge their own interpretation for just what the Realms "Ao" signifies.

I always thought it to be Alpha and Omega, from the moment I saw the name.

Also, Ao being the name of thirteen cloud gods in Oceanic mythology and the name of the four dragon kings in Chinese mythology doesn't mean that it wouldn't represent Alpha and Omega in those, too :x

Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  04:56:07  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Hey THO. You should ask Ed what his favorite character concept was. Halfling rogue, half-orc barbarian... maybe even my personal fav, the halfling barbarian ;) My first novel I wrote had a halfling barbarian in it. Most fun character to write. He was a blast. That's actually where my "Sandstorm" title comes from. What about yourself? Favorite race or class? I know this is me just assuming you play or HAVE played... but I can't imagine it's too much of a stretch.

And thanks crazeadventures. I'll have to check that site out.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  10:06:06  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Tantam All

A question about picnics if I may?

I am wondering if the Obarskyrs have a favourite family picnic spot, somewhere that they can go to 'get away from it all' for a few hours and enjoy some family time together along with some food.

Also did Azoun and Fee have a favourite trysting place whilst they were courting?

Thanks

Lammath Drios

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  15:56:56  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
The royal hunting lodge, in the King's Forest?
I remember Ed mentioning that they could picnic in the Royal Gardens, right beside the Royal Palace in Suzail; War Wizards and Purple Dragons just clear the gardens of everyone else and keep them out until the dining's done.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  16:23:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I don't usually ask rules questions, because when I see others do it I have wee-bit of a knee-jerk reaction. That's like walking into and art show and saying to the artist: "I love how straight your pictures hang - what types of hooks do you use?"

The second kind of question I normally don't ask is 'opinions' - I have a plethora of my own, and sometimes I'd rather not hear Ed's simply because I already have my own ideas for a certain thing, and if I hear how he thinks it 'ought to be' I will feel obligated to 'correct my concept' (yeah, I know I'm the DM, but I'm weird, what can I say?)

All that being said, I am going to break my own rule, but only because I am not leaning one way or the other in this situation (so Ed gets to be the 'tie-breaker').

I am of the opinion that certain magical transformations that are permanent - divine or artifact-caused - would mean that the being is changed right down to the 'genetic level'. That means until some 'higher power' changes them back, for all intents and purposes that being IS that creature (except they may have kept their own mind).

However, in the case of temporary transformations - those situations caused by mortal magic/spells - how does Ed rule on this? Is it cosmetic, or is it down to the genetic level as well? Can a Druid become a bear, mate with another bear, and have cubs? The problem is, I have seen this work both ways in canon, so I'm not sure how it 'should be'.

And related to this, in the case of organic material (people, animals, plants, etc), how would he rule if something ate something else? I know exactly how I would rule in the case of a boulder size-changed into a pebble and someone is forced to swallow it (BOOM!), but what happens if a living thing is dead and digestion has begun? Does the fact that the organic thing thus-changed has had its 'state of being' altered (from living to dead) affect it transforming back?

BTW, this question is something I have thought about plenty of times in the past - most recently for a character concept - and I am currently re-reading Bulfinch's Mythology and am reminded of this conundrum by the shear number of people turned into flora and fauna in Greek Myth. Obviously in those stories those would be genetic (Divine) transformations, but it did lead me to once-again ponder this DMing dilemma.

Like I said, this is more of a 'long-time DM asking advice from another', then a Realms question, and I apologize in advance if Ed would rather avoid this type of query. However, I think if anyone would know how this stuff works specifically within the Realms, Ed would.

Thanks --- Mark

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Oct 2010 00:52:56
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  18:10:38  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

The royal hunting lodge, in the King's Forest?
I remember Ed mentioning that they could picnic in the Royal Gardens, right beside the Royal Palace in Suzail; War Wizards and Purple Dragons just clear the gardens of everyone else and keep them out until the dining's done.
BB

Thanks BB appreciate your swift reply. In hindsight I should have phrased my question more carefully.

I was wondering if there were any 'special places' away from everyone, except the most senior wizards of war and highknights, that the Obarskyrs use (although you can clear the Royal Gardens there are still soldiers around and courtiers glimpsing them out of palace windows and no doubt nobles trying to get an audience etc).

So places where even Vangy would not intrude unless the 'Kingdom was in Peril' and he needed to speak to Az and Fee urgently. We know that Azoun liked to go to Eveningstar for some 'R&R' and I was wondering if there were other places like that where the family could completely take off their crowns and be 'normal' people for a few hours.

Cheers

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 27 Oct 2010 18:11:32
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  00:57:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Filfaeril used to go to Scornobul (before it was Scornobul). I also recall - from a novel I believe - something about a secluded spot that Filfaeril had within her gardens, where only one guard was present, and he would turn around to allow privacy when needed (like when Azoun was in the mood for a low-born frolic with his wife).

Both had secret gates to the Dales (although I have no idea if both knew about all of the others). One was used to transport Tanalasta's baby (the heir) to Shadowdale.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Oct 2010 00:59:57
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  02:34:30  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
That private part of Filfaeril's gardens is from one of Ed's Knights books (I THINK the first book of the trilogy, but I could be misremembering - - I think it's a Storm or Dove meets Fee scene, and a later scene when the wayward Princess Alusair is brought home by S or D). I'm away from my library right now, or I'd check and make sure before meandering verbally in a post here - - but it's definitely an Ed scene, from the Knights series.
BB
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  12:37:55  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

That private part of Filfaeril's gardens is from one of Ed's Knights books - I think it's a Storm or Dove meets Fee scene, and

Aye - it is her 'secret' bower where she meets Dove however Vangy sticks his wand in and assigns a highknight to watch her with resultant knight in pain when Fee spots him etc

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  12:42:58  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well Again All

A question about Vangy's mage sigil please?

I have been reading the OGBS again and noticed Vangy has 3 triangles in the flame of his sigil - am wondering if they mean something? (knowledge wisdom and power? Azuth, Mystra and Savras? Cormyr, The Dagon Throne and the Obarskyrs?).

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  02:42:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring Ed's swift lore reply to crazedventurers, re. the three triangles in Vangey's mage-sigil:

Hi, Damian!
The triangles represent Vangey's three masters/three life foci:
Mystra (and the Art = magic), Jorunhast (Vangey's tutor and predecessor as Royal Magician), and Cormyr (the Obarskyrs, the Dragon Throne; the realm to be guarded so it will survive and flourish, and that guarding to be done with magic and to preserve a realm in which magic is important and prized).
I was WONDERING when someone would ask about this . . . :}

So saith Ed. And there you have it; another little secret of the Realms revealed . . .
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  07:12:43  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
I LOVE Realms secrets.

P.s. This is just for fun for everyone. I'm running a campaign, 3.5 edition, where my five buddies are all running commoners. They're now second level, returning from the city of Arabel to their farming village. 4 weeks ago real time, they killed a guard on the road trying to waylay them. My friend, (we'll call him "Kevin") is a chosen of Gond. I've told him that he has access to the spell "Mending" but that's all he knows. He hasn't told anyone. So on their way back from Arabel to their farming village, four riders wearing the Purple Dragon crest come up behind them, telling them they're under arrest for the murder of a city guardsman. To my friend Kevin, I secretly tell him that his fingers begin tingling (Gond imposing a spell upon him) What spell does thouest thing I should bestow upon him?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  16:39:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring Ed of the Greenwood's lightning-swift response to Sandstorm, re. the query immediately above:

Hi, Sandstorm. Is it your intent that Gond is aiding "Kevin"?
If so, I'd have that spell be "Touch of Revelation" (better known as "Disassembly"). It's one of my Gond magics from the original campaign that's never been published, and works as follows: all mechanical devices (however simple, but magic items are immune, as are normal items bearing a temporary dweomer because of spells previously cast on them) within 20-foot radius area of effect come apart.
That is: the saddles, stirrups, bits and bridles, and armor fastenings of the Purple Dragons would all fall into their separate component parts. Spilling them out of their saddles, rapidly leaving them half-naked and encumbered by their heaps of fallen armor, and so on. Crossbows would be useless scattered parts, etc.
Here are the limitations: the caster mentally chooses the center of the area of effect, which he/she must be able to see, and that's no more distant than thirty feet plus ten feet per level PLUS ten feet per point of intelligence. The spell takes effect on EVERYTHING within that area of effect that fails an item saving throw (so the caster's friends could be affected, and this or that Purple Dragon could escape having his or her sword-scabbard fall from its belt and the buckle around his waist part from its leather, or even have all his armor stay on), and works within 1 round. After that, nothing else is affected. The caster and all of his/her gear (worn or carried items, and anything on a mount he/she is riding), if in the area of effect, are automatically immune unless the caster wants them not to be.
So the Purple Dragons could endure a wild minute of everything falling apart on them. It will be up to the PCs to take advantage by fleeing like fury (seizing the Dragons' horses and riding bareback, pell-mell) or attacking and trying to render the Dragons unconscious or incapacitated.
Note that once the spell "goes off," that's it; it doesn't keep working. So if a Dragon's harness of weapons falls off and a PC slugs him silly, the PC could use the various detached bits of leather belting to bind the Dragon, without the spell "undoing" those bindings - - once it takes effect, that's it.
Or did you want some other sort of effect, like a "Gond's Glory" to try to cow the Dragons? (Which probably won't prevent them performing the arrest, mind you. They'll just be very impressed [ = wary] of who they're capturing.)

So saith Ed. So, back to you, Sandstorm . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  22:40:52  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
Hello!

Some War Wizard questions for Ed:

Was the general attitude of War Wizards down the centuries a variable thing?

Although all War Wizards are individuals, was their training and mandate ever more of a “blast first, ask questions later” in one century vs. a “blast ye not; see all the consequences before taking any bold action” philosophy in the next century?

Or was it more of a “do as the Mage Royal does/follow his or her example in all things”?

How would you characterize the general bent and attitude of the War Wizards over the centuries and/or under each Royal Mage? Did Cormyr's expansion and growth have an effect on how the War Wizards operated?

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  03:25:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone.
Another quick reply from Ed, this one to Mr. Miscellany:

MM: Was the general attitude of War Wizards down the centuries a variable thing?

Ed: Yes, very much so.

MM: Although all War Wizards are individuals, was their training and mandate ever more of a “blast first, ask questions later” in one century vs. a “blast ye not; see all the consequences before taking any bold action” philosophy in the next century?

Ed: No. More the second approach than the first, except when standing orders dictated otherwise (i.e. during certain times of war). See the next answer, below.

MM: Or was it more of a “do as the Mage Royal does/follow his or her example in all things”?

Ed: YES. (Always, human nature being what it is, with some individual cases of defiance/I know better/that example was FOLLY, I think I can finesse better.)

MM: How would you characterize the general bent and attitude of the War Wizards over the centuries and/or under each Royal Mage? Did Cormyr's expansion and growth have an effect on how the War Wizards operated?

Ed: I'll get back to you in time to come on this first query; a proper answer is . . . complicated (and there are some current reasons for not being overly specific during certain "reigns" of particular Royal Magicians. As for the second: yes.

MM: Thank you!

Ed: you're very welcome. Good queries.

So saith Ed, and there you have it.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  03:29:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
A note from Ed re. the Touch of Revelation spell, two posts above: it doesn't disassemble items made entirely of the same substance (so a woven basket or garment won't be shredded or turned back into a heap of loose threads), but only affects assemblies of dissimilar materials (such as a belt of leather with a metal buckle; a "tied-fastening" belt all of leather would be unaffected). A whittled wooden "chain" would be unaffected, and ALL HOLY SYMBOLS are unaffected, regardless of whether or not they bear an enchantment.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  03:43:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and Damian: a proper reply is coming from Ed, but one "emergency meeting place" that the Obarskyrs have used when they wanted to argue/family fight/mete out family discipline in private: the Crystal Grot.
I know this, because one of my characters once saw a "memory" (think of it as a short movie clip, recorded and retained by a magic item) of a tearful young Tanalasta storming away alone, shortly after she'd departed the Grot, after having been spanked by Filfaeril.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  03:49:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
The question of oil being raised again, THO has indicated any Petroleum found is treated as as hazard in an other thread.
The question occurs of what are the primary sources of oil used in the Realms?

There remains best candidates vegetable and animal, though also remains some possible mineral oils. In some ways this might also address having flame in shops as different oils burn at different temperatures.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  04:02:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Mr. Miscellany, Ed just wanted you to know that your "reappearing mysterious wizards" query from earlier this month hasn't been forgotten.

Kentinal, Ed has answered all sorts of questions about various oils as lubricants, cooking ingredients, and fuels down the years, here and in many places in published Realmslore. Tallow (sheep fat) and its equivalents (other animal fats, not to mention fish fats) are often used for all three purposes, and there are many plant-derived oils that are used for various of those three purposes.

Rhewtani, I can't remember if your "Filfaeril, Bound And Willing" query has been answered yet, but if not, the answers are: no one has correctly guessed the author yet, and Azoun IV HAS been advanced as a guess (which of course means it's an incorrect guess). One that always makes Ed smile, though.

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  05:07:59  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
THO and ED,

LOVE the idea, and in my Campaign, as much as the character is trying to follow the goddess Tymora, he is inevitably being chosen by Gond. The spell you are suggesting sounds awesome, and could further down the road be something I choose to shove into his spell slots, as he WILL become a sorcerer down the road, and sorcerers and clerics in my campaigns dont get to choose their spells. Magic is "granted by the gods" i.e. me :) However, he is currently a second level commoner, I was looking for something first level, kinda just to make him go "woah"... so my question(s) for Ed are,
A) What level is that spell
B) Would you be able to give me a more complete list of these unpublished Gond spells? They would be of much use in this campaign. And they would be MUCH appreciated when I told said Kevin "Ahem... Ed Greenwood suggested you use this ;) "
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  07:28:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

I've seen the two D&D movies, and they aren't that bad for a small budget movie. If you were to choose a Realms book to be first made into a movie, what would it be? And I'd like to know why. =)

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  09:25:51  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

MM: Thank you!

Ed: you're very welcome. Good queries.
Rock on! Those answers help me a get some things in order in my head RE: War Wizards.

quote:

Hi again, all.
Mr. Miscellany, Ed just wanted you to know that your "reappearing mysterious wizards" query from earlier this month hasn't been forgotten.
Kick. Ass.

I've got tons more questions, but I'll try to spread 'em out. Don't want to take too many turns in a row. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  18:44:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. I bring Ed of the Greenwood's lightning-swift response to Sandstorm, re. the query immediately above:

Hi, Sandstorm. Is it your intent that Gond is aiding "Kevin"?
If so, I'd have that spell be "Touch of Revelation" (better known as "Disassembly").

<snip>

So saith Ed. So, back to you, Sandstorm . . .
love,
THO

And, for those of you using 3.5/Pathfinder rules, I figured I'd stat this out (please tell me if I'm off-base here, THO/Ed!)

Touch of Revelation/Disassembly
Transmutation
Level: Clr 2
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close
Target: All non-magical, mechanical/"made" items within 20' radius burst, centered on target.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

All items withing the spell's area of effect come apart into their individual components. Rivets holding armor together fall out, stitching in leather/cloth pulls apart, crossbows and weapons fall into their individual pieces.

Quick question for clarification, would this "break" a sword into it's separate blade/hilt/crosspiece?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  00:08:31  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Damian!
The triangles represent Vangey's three masters/three life foci:
Mystra (and the Art = magic), Jorunhast (Vangey's tutor and predecessor as Royal Magician), and Cormyr (the Obarskyrs, the Dragon Throne; the realm to be guarded so it will survive and flourish, and that guarding to be done with magic and to preserve a realm in which magic is important and prized).

Thank you both for the alacrity of the response.

Interestingly I always had Vangy as an Azuth worshipper first and Mystra second. I have always seem him as a spellweaver (Azuth doctrine) not a spell creator/sharer (Mystra's doctrine).

I can't recall seeing any of Old Thunderspells own created Art in print? I know Vangy has created spells, am just wondering how prolific he is at it? (and perhaps a brief description of what he considers his best spell creation perhaps? )

Thanks

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 31 Oct 2010 00:14:30
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  01:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Thanks Ashe, I was going to inquire about the sword and hilt as well. Also about a chain shirt. I would assume that any cape or emblem attacked to the chain shirt would fall off, but would each individual link come loose as well?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  03:02:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. After swift consultation with Ed, a few answers:

Sandstorm, a chainmail shirt would remain intact, because it's all of the same material. (The links are all of hammered metal, not of metal and wood and glass . . .)

Ashe, it depends on the sword's construction. Many swords have a blade with a "tang," around which hide strips are wrapped to give a grip, and onto the end of which a pommel is affixed. So the wrapping and pommel might well go, but that still leaves a usable blade (and if the wielder is grasping the blade at the time the spell takes effect, the wrappings would still stay wrapped around the tang [held there by the wielder's own grip], and not fly apart; they would be loose, causing slippage at every strike of the sword, but not necessarily rendering the sword unusable.
And the spell description is a LITTLE too sweeping: leather armor or clothing sewn together with leather thongs wouldn't be affected by the spell, only leather armor or clothing sewn together with a material other than leather. Otherwise, the spell writeup looks good. Each object has to make a save, so in many cases the spell won't be as wide-ranging as it sounds at first blush.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  03:15:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! This time I bring the words of Ed himself, responding to dennis re. this: "Hi, Ed!
I've seen the two D&D movies, and they aren't that bad for a small budget movie. If you were to choose a Realms book to be first made into a movie, what would it be? And I'd like to know why. =)"
Ed replies:

Hi, dennis! I've actually been asked this several times over the years, including by TSR staffers and television companies interested in using the Realms, and my replies usually run something like this:
ELFSHADOW would make a great first Realms movie, because of the relationship with the two protagonists, and because it shows the viewer wilderlands and the great city of Waterdeep.
SPELLFIRE would also make a good movie, because of the overland travel that shows us a wide variety of the Realms (and for the dracoliches and dragonback spellhurling, that lend themselves to vivid moviemaking).
HOMELAND tells a story that could make a superb movie, but my one concern would be that a movie viewer not familiar with the Realms would end up thinking the Realms is only the drow-ruled Underdark, plus "wild" Underdark around it. (This is a flaw that would also keep me away from CITY OF SPLENDORS, because it's set almost entirely in Waterdeep.)
Recently, a new candidate has arisen, that would work very well in a movie suitable for younger viewers as well as adults: CITY OF THE DEAD.
Those would be my first choices. I can make cases for SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR and several other books lending themselves to adapting well to the big screen, but you said "first," and a "first" Realms movie has to establish what the Realms is, to non-gamers: it's crucial that it show how broad and various the Realms is, setting a large table to allow future movies to focus on pirates, or undersea, or exploring lost and fallen civilizations, or court intrigue (in, say, Cormyr), or gritty urban adventuring (in, say, Waterdeep), or whatever . . . not constricting our lens on the Realms to just one "sort" of fantasy movie.
Not that we're ever likely to see a Realms movie. The motion picture rights to the Realms are . . . complicated. (And, BTW, are something I have no say in at all.)

So saith Ed. Who has tackled this topic a time or two at GenCon seminars down the years, as I recall.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  03:20:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello again, everyone. Damian, a proper answer from Ed will be forthcoming, but I can tell you quickly that Vangey not only worships Azuth, he has a close relationship with him, and the choice of triangles as a shape used in his sigil actually has something to do with that [[Ed hasn't yet revealed more than that in play, so I'm as much in the dark as you are]]. The triangles are the same size to denote being in balance with each other (or Vangey striving to keep them in balance, throughout his life), yes.
Vangey isn't a prolific spell-creator. For one thing, he's always been too busy, and for another, he's always been the sort of caster who uses a spell created by someone else, sees its shortcomings, and sets about "improving" it for his own purposes, more than he sits down to create something new or has magical inspiration strike him out of the blue.
Yet he has indeed created some spells, and Ed will, I hope, soon tell you more . . .
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 31 Oct 2010 03:21:53
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  03:27:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
A memory just struck me, related to your question about Vangerdahast's spells, Damian. I think one HAS appeared in print, in Realmslore, but wasn't identified as his creation at the time, and isn't named for him, but that in later Realmsplay Vangey said it was "one of his" creations (with Ed, of course, as DM, speaking for Vangey the NPC). What I can't for the life of me remember right now is just which spell . . .
Ah, getting old . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000