Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  03:16:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahhh, Sage, Sage, if it wasn't for the Lady K I'd be all over you . . . a Realms fan, a musician and can program...ohhhh....

Ahem.
love,
THO
P.S. Strangely auspicious, this page number . . . purr . . .

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Aug 2010 03:17:12
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  03:19:03  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ahhh, Sage, Sage, if it wasn't for the Lady K I'd be all over you . . . a Realms fan, a musician and can program...ohhhh....

Ahem.
love,
THO

I'm a bona fide Renaissance Man.

As for the page number, I find it intriguing. And a wonderful possibility for experimentation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Aug 2010 03:20:22
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  07:47:17  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

(Head wig, not merkin, though I can confirm that both sorts of wigs exist in enchanted versions in the Realms. How can I confirm? Ah, that would be telling, wouldn't it? )

And I learned another word. Realmslore: fun AND educational!

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  23:03:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I post this in reply to Sian, who asked; "quick question which i'm relatively certain THO can answer without Ed
how do people (non-magicians) move from Waterdeep to Skullport and the other way around? i'm guessing that they're not battling the way through Undermountain but?"

The vast majority of traffic (cargoes and people) between Waterdeep and Skullport is by way of ships that use the Seacaves and the magical "elevator shaft" therein to move between the two places (with the Lords of Waterdeep and their enforcement arms [Watch and Guard] looking the other way, unless these routes are misused to aid in armed invasions or hurling harmful area-effect magics).
However, there's also a steady stream of passages between the two using secret or not-so-secret gates/portals located in various spots in Undermountain, that link to various spots in Waterdeep's sewers, alleyways, tombs in The city of the Dead, and cellars/attics/rooms/rooftops in specific city buildings. Careful reading of the original RUINS OF UNDERMOUNTAIN boxed set will reveal several of these, even in the portion of the uppermost level partially detailed therein.
So as long as one varies one's route through the "little bit of" Undermountain between subterranean gate and Skullport proper, "battling" should seldom be necessary.
We Knights have often traveled such routes, and so have many, many citizens of Waterdeep and visitors. So much so that Downshadow became a city neighborhood (see the excellent de Bie novel, DOWNSHADOW) over the century since the coming of the Blue Fire.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  05:51:50  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Ed and THO, I have a quick and easy one:

The Lone Tower on the north shores of the Moonsea...is there anything you can share about it or the Giants Cairn in the same area?

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
648 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  13:18:06  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Ed and/or THO,

I am currently reading Crown of Fire (my first read-through, can you believe it? ), but having gotten a little wiser since undertaking my searching for 'Realmspeak' I don't read it without a notebook by my side. I shall probably have to re-read Spellfire in the same manner at some point to make sure I didn't miss anything. Anyway, I have come accross the following terms (with one left-over from the My Slice of Silverymoon articles):
  • blackroot” – Common:- “. . .the price of a tankard of blackroot, but I'm dry of words. . .” (My Slice of Silverymoon, Part Four by Ed Greenwood)

• deathfang” – Common:- “Unthlar watched his deathfang hurtle toward Shandril's. . .” (Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• dunwing” – Common:- “. . .deep in the Stonelands that a dunwing flying past squawked. . .” (Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• forenoon” – Common:- “. . .his eyes against the bright forenoon sun.” (Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• magesight” – Common:- “. . .had some sort of magesight, the gift of Mystra or. . .” (Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• skybolt” – Common:- “. . .they'd just spend a skybolt or two to deal with. . .” (Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• Can Ed tell us any more about these things?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

I am a sexy, shoeless god of war!

The Sellplague began, for all intents and purposes, in the dominions of the Corporation. Greed murdered Good Design, unraveling common sense in the cosmos and destroying her dominion. At the same time, Sales Fears and Warcraft Envy happened into alignment. This cataclysmic coincidence led to upheaval, shaking apart the primeval order, opening up holes in wallets, and reshaping everything...
    Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
    Great Reader

USA
    3066 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  13:30:16  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kyrene

Ed and/or THO,

I am currently reading Crown of Fire (my first read-through, can you believe it? ), but having gotten a little wiser since undertaking my searching for 'Realmspeak' I don't read it without a notebook by my side. I shall probably have to re-read Spellfire in the same manner at some point to make sure I didn't miss anything. Anyway, I have come accross the following terms (with one left-over from the My Slice of Silverymoon articles):
  • blackroot” – Common:- “. . .the price of a tankard of blackroot, but I'm dry of words. . .” (My Slice of Silverymoon, Part Four by Ed Greenwood)

• deathfang” – Common:- “Unthlar watched his deathfang hurtle toward Shandril's. . .” (Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• dunwing” – Common:- “. . .deep in the Stonelands that a dunwing flying past squawked. . .” (Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• forenoon” – Common:- “. . .his eyes against the bright forenoon sun.” (Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• magesight” – Common:- “. . .had some sort of magesight, the gift of Mystra or. . .” (Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• skybolt” – Common:- “. . .they'd just spend a skybolt or two to deal with. . .” (Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• Can Ed tell us any more about these things?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I believe the Mage Sight is similar to the Arcane Sight spell, but I'd like to see what Ed has to say on it...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
    Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  20:18:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
    Hi again, all. Kyrene, "blackroot" is akin to licorice (REAL licorice, that is), and beer made from it (so, a dark, thick, almost syrupy brew with a unique taste that has just the tiniest hint of sweetness) is also called "blackroot."
    Ed will of course provide proper answers for your terms, when he can.
    love,
    THO
    Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
    Great Reader

USA
    3338 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  20:53:07  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
    Since THO told me to ask here:

While researching the Dragonspine Mountains a bit...I realized that there is little to no information (that I can find) about Dragonden Pass.

It is a prominent pass in the Dragonspine Mountains; but apparently the Tweenhill Gap has become the preferred method of rounding the mountains.

I know the "Kobold Kingdom"...from Pools of Radiance Computer game/ Ruins of Adventure Module...is near the southern exit; but I can't see them being so much of a nuisance that this obviously marked pass wouldn't be used more and have more information about it.

Can anyone offer anything?

THO offered me:

quote:

Certainly. What does the name of the pass suggest to you?
    Yep. Dragon lair. Of an active, hungry dragon that loves to sport with - - and then devour - - those trying to get through the pass. Adventurers who can hurl spells included (they offer superior entertainment, to quell the endless ennui).
    No wonder alternative routes are favored.
    Think ancient red dragon with lots of magic items AND captive monsters, who knows how to use them, and takes delight in hunting and slaying...
    love,
    THO
    P.S. This comes from Ed's notes, so if you'd like more, pose a query to him in his Questions thread, and he'll probably respond pretty quickly (as I can "feed" him his own notes back, so he needn't hunt for them).

So, Lord Greenwood...what say you in addition?

Many thanks in advance...

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
    Go to Top of Page

Markustay
    Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
    13103 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  22:18:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
    quote:

We Knights have often traveled such routes, and so have many, many citizens of Waterdeep and visitors. So much so that Downshadow became a city neighborhood (see the excellent de Bie novel, DOWNSHADOW) over the century since the coming of the Blue Fire.
    love,
    THO
    I suppose I have to get this novel next - its on my list.

You know... the list of books I want that I carelessly leave lying about a few weeks before my Birthday.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Aug 2010 04:23:04
    Go to Top of Page

Sian
    Senior Scribe

Denmark
    596 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  00:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage  Click to see Sian's MSN Messenger address Send Sian a Private Message
    thanks

another quickie ...

Is there any mames which is obivously fakes such as "Mr. Smith" or "John Doe"? where nearly everyone instantly writes it off as an alias

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
    She's a women, it happens once a month
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    29641 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  04:55:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sian

thanks

another quickie ...

Is there any mames which is obivously fakes such as "Mr. Smith" or "John Doe"? where nearly everyone instantly writes it off as an alias

Ed noted a couple in the past, but I don't recall if we ever had a full answer to this question (I asked it myself, quite some time ago). There was this tidbit, in the discussion on charters:

quote:
    though note that many charters contain an “alljack” name (a modern American might say a “John Doe pseudonym”) that any new or trial member assumes so that they’re covered; typical Faerûnian ones include “Jack-of-Blades” and “Harl Amendall”].

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31683 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  05:23:51  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
    Originally posted by Sian

thanks

another quickie ...

Ed noted a couple in the past, but I don't recall if we ever had a full answer to this question (I asked it myself, quite some time ago). There was this tidbit, in the discussion on charters:

quote:
    though note that many charters contain an “alljack” name (a modern American might say a “John Doe pseudonym”) that any new or trial member assumes so that they’re covered; typical Faerûnian ones include “Jack-of-Blades” and “Harl Amendall”].

I'm sure Steven Schend has employed similar terms in the past as well. Or was it Rich Baker? I can't remember. *Searching the archives ... *

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Aug 2010 05:24:37
    Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
    Senior Scribe

Australia
    921 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  08:20:31  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message
    quote:

Ahem.
    love,
    THO

Hey, don't let me stop you. Just don't expect me not to join in. Eventually.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
    Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
    Great Reader

USA
    2856 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  08:43:26  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
    Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
    Great Reader

USA
    3066 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  16:49:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
    What Brimstone said.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
    Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
    Great Reader

USA
    3521 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  18:53:16  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

Ahem.
    love,
    THO

Hey, don't let me stop you. Just don't expect me not to join in. Eventually.

Is page 69 of Ed's scroll always so illuminating?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
    Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
    Senior Scribe

Israel
    352 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  19:58:18  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
    I'll probably never get an answer to this question, but I'm wired enough to try: How much of Mystryl/Mystra/Midnight is the Weave, and how much of the Weave was Mystryl/Mystra/Midnight? (I assume the answer changes from incarnation to incarnation, but is that correct?) This may shed light on how Mystra is both The Weaver and The Weave.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
    Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
    How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
    Go to Top of Page

reiwynn
    Acolyte

USA
    3 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  20:06:17  Show Profile  Visit reiwynn's Homepage Send reiwynn a Private Message
    Just finished reading Elminster Must Die. Thank you Mr. Greenwood! Thank you very much!

Out of the frying pan, and into the dragons' maw.....
    Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
    Learned Scribe

224 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  01:55:43  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
    Glad to hear both of you reached home safely after GenCon. One of these years I really need to make the trip out there, maybe skip one of the ren faires our group normally does. I was especially interested in the fact the celebrity D&D session since Ed was taking part. It wasn't filmed to be put on the internet by any chance?

Ed's answer in May on the Black Hand in Undermountain was enlightening. I was hoping if he could find the time to answer a few other questions. Is the Black Hand affiliated with Bane since that is one of the titles he goes by? Or maybe the Unseen? Were they also flushed out by the Living Spells after Halaster's Higharvestide?

My other Undermountain question is a bit odd. I have been trying for the longest time to match up the locations in Waterdeep with the UM1. Things never seem to match up. The entry well should be lined up with the Yawning Portal, the Long Dark Stairs down the street with the Blushing Nymph, and the Falling stairs should be roughly under Waterdeep Castle. I'm sure its easy enough to account for the odd alignment via portals or winding stairs. I get the feeling this would be a detail Ed would have given thought to and was wondering if there was a secret or maybe something lost in editing as often happens?

Thank you both.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
    DM: What are you looking for?
    Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
    DM: Like what?
    Rogue: Everything.
    DM: There is a lot of stuff.
    Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
    DM: (rolls) Yes.
    Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
    Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  04:06:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
    Hi again, all. Gelcur, GenCon is a MUST (at least once) for gamers. Some fall under its spell, for others once is enough, but...try it.
    The game session WAS filmed, and when the release forms are all sorted out, you'll see it on the internet. Ed was largely quiet, because certain people pleaded with him to "keep it clean" beforehand...but Matt James, the DM (Chris Perkins), Bob Salvatore, and Larry Elmore all made up for Ed's gentle manner with plenty of noise.
    Yes, some of the odd surface/Undermountain upper level alignments are the result of editing.
    I'll leave it to Ed to give you better answers on everything from here...
    love,
    THO
    Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
    Master of Realmslore

1960 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  05:23:06  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
    I have a netheril question for Ed that is likely going to have me being hit with Ioluam's Greater NDA spell, but

the spires mentioned in the frcg cormyr section that are seen in its dragonwhatever bay, is that the enclave that fell into the sea of fallen stars, or deep netheril??

or is my geography off again

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
    Magister's GAmbit
    http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
    Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
    Senior Scribe

Australia
    388 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  13:47:12  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
    Hi Ed, what were the names of some of the larger settlements within the Dwarven kingdom of old Sarphil????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Go to Top of Page

createvmind
    Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  17:30:24  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
    Hope you enjoyed Gencon.

I have a few questions, who are some of the best forgery experts in or around Waterdeep to Scornubel and are merchant writs something easy to forge? Time period, 1370's.

Children who exhibit "powers" precognitive abilities and such and are born to common/poor folk are handled how? If sent to non-evil monastery what is done with them there? Firestarter comes to mind now as I write this.

..........Forgot my other questions....

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
    Senior Scribe

USA
    804 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  15:58:02  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
    Heh. createvmind, I'm thinking Ed's answer to your "handled how?" is going to be something like: depends on their parents/full range of possibilities. Time and again, the Realms seems every bit as complex and varied as the real world.
    BB
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  Topic Locked
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000