Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  05:26:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Yes, Elminster has worn many masks down the centuries, but Flamsterd isn't one of them. In Realmsplay (with Ed as DM, of course), we Knights have been present at several meetings between the two of them; they are friends, but definitely NOT the same person.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  10:05:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Good day again Sweet Lady.

One quick question. Jergal first appeared in the 2nd ed. Campaign setting as far as I (or we) have found out. Was he a new creation by Ed or others at the time, or was he an old part of Eds original world that there just hadn't been room for in earlier products?

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  16:35:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jorkens, I recall hearing about Jergal in Realmsplay years ago (about the time we players received our legal release forms for our characters, in TSR's initial purchase of the Realms, in 1986), so he was definitely part of Ed's original Realms. More than that, I can't say, because in Ed's Realms the creeds, prayers, and portfolios of the gods (and the doings of their clergy) were known to all, but personal details of the gods themselves, and their avatars, was far more sketchy (unless you were a high-ranking priest of a particular god, or a sages of matters religious) - - and because Jergal, among the gods, was a figure of mystery and some controversy (as opposed to, say, Chauntea or Tempus, whom "everybody could grasp" the aims and concerns of).
I know that the "former god of death, now manipulating other deities" notion is Ed, but I believe specific details of Jergal's doings have been added or augmented by Eric Boyd, Julia Martin, and others (George Krashos? Steven Schend?) in the years since Jergal's first print appearance.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  16:41:41  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Thank you Lady. That also gives a hint about how hidden and in the background he is to most people in the Realms. And of course makes me even more curious; back to those plans for burrowing into Eds basement and bury myself in old papers and notes.
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  17:47:36  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Thank you Lady. That also gives a hint about how hidden and in the background he is to most people in the Realms. And of course makes me even more curious; back to those plans for burrowing into Eds basement and bury myself in old papers and notes.

Watch out for the Helm Horrors.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  18:49:05  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
Hi! I’ve got a “what if” question I’d like to throw Ed’s way.

What if War Wizards long known to be dead started showing up over a period of a tenday all over the Forest Kingdom? Say five hundred mages in total, some having died within the last decade, others over a millennia ago.

Each mage possesses no more memory than he or she had up until the time of his or her death, save for a brief moment of awakening to dim light amongst darkness, then being enveloped in large slimy tentacles and devoured bodily.

Each wizard is wearing burnt brown robes with a round, bright red badge on the right breast depicting a black orb with five tentacles wielding sword, axe, wand, staff and crown.

Each wizard materialized over the place of their death (or the nearest open space capable of allowing their body to materialize); some find themselves residing in the gentle repose of natural death—though such mages awaken to find themselves at least a decade or more younger in years than the age at which they died of natural causes—while others appear in mid-casting of battle spells, but with their then foes all gone away, any wounds received in the battle miraculously healed and the battle environment around them quite changed.

The mages have no overriding compulsion to *do* anything, and none can recall from whence they came nor who or what dressed and equipped them as they are.

Were this to happen in the current, post-Spellplague era of Cormyr, what are some of the possible responses Cormyr’s King, Mage Royal, nobles and others (and perhaps Cormanthyr and Shade) would undertake opposite these wizards out of time?

Are the mages still bound by the oaths they swore? Would Cormyr accept them back into the War Wizard ranks? Are most of them likely to leave a Kingdom that has passed them by? If some died while trying to overthrow the Obarskyrs, would they automatically be captured and jailed for these past crimes?

And if at least one former Mage Royal were among the group of returned mages, how might that complicate matters for the current Mage Royal and the King?

Thank you THO and Ed!

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 26 Oct 2010 17:14:05
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  20:07:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
WOW

Insanely detailed and specific question, but one hell of an idea.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  20:22:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Right!!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  20:47:45  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
Remember that War Wizard that teleported King Azoun (and himself) right into the maw of Nalavarra while she was in flight? Right now I’m busying myself by wondering just what that dude’s gonna do when he shows up in the sky one day—sans King and dragon—with the earth below rapidly approaching and half his spells and items not functioning (or not functioning correctly) thanks to the effects of the Spellplague.

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 12 Oct 2010 20:49:17
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  21:03:06  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message
Mr Greenwood, or Lady THO, which (if any) of the the generic D&D relics have been added to the Realms, either canon or the Home Campaign?

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  23:16:29  Show Profile Send see a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Yes, Elminster has worn many masks down the centuries, but Flamsterd isn't one of them. In Realmsplay (with Ed as DM, of course), we Knights have been present at several meetings between the two of them; they are friends, but definitely NOT the same person.

Did you have true seeing active?

I mean, for example, Elminster could have simulacrum-created duplicates of himself running around. If Elminster-in-false-persona met simulacrum-of-Elminster, it would look like a meeting between Elminster and the person Elminster's pretending to be, but it wouldn't actually prove anything.

And that's just one way it could be done; there are lots more possible.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  23:41:47  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Ed did you have anything to do with creation of Draegloths? And if so have you ever created an Draegloth Abomination in your campaigns? If yes, what would be a possible reaction from the fiend parent if ABLE to respond to it's offspring being warped so?

Can the drider-type curse be undone by a fiend of less power than Lloth, I'm assuming that Lloth personally invest power in making the transformation possible?
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  02:04:50  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
A question.

At the end of the 1 books of the Shadows trilogy
Mystra says to the Rangers 3 and magic shall
never harm them again, but later in the trilogy
they're getting blasted with Malaugrym spells.
CAn you explain further? Is this just spells
that target them?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  15:19:58  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Dracons

I know Sage. But the NDA is holding back lore. That's why I'm angry at it. Not just bits and pieces, but alot, and it appears that it will never be released. Why do they add more lore, adding more mysteries, and never solving what is already a mystery?

Of course, you might consider actually making an attempt to create realmslore of your own on these "mysterious" topics you mention, perhaps through a DDI submission. Who knows, your version might well be the one that WotC accepts as 'official' and you will have had a hand in removing an NDA, such as it is. Channel your frustration, don't expect everything to be handed to you on a lore-laden silver platter and write/create/post/muse on the Realms. You'll be happier for it and will also provide a positive benefit to the FR community at large.

As someone who's come up with bits of realmslore from time to time over the years, I can tell you there is no better feeling than creating realmslore to the approbation of your FR peers. Try it. It's fun.

-- George Krashos

Listen to George, folks. He knows what he's talking about (and his help at filling lore has always been both exemplary and excellent).

And while I don't know how open he is to strictly Realms-related lore, I know Steve Winter at DDI would love to get some good solid, well-thought out pieces for the site (and I say that as someone who's worked with Steve for years).

Steven
who understands all too well the friction between wanting all that information tucked away under NDAs and the need for the mysteries to help drive the stories a bit more

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 14 Oct 2010 17:24:19
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  13:13:04  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Hey Welcome back to the keep Steven......hope Oscar is fine.....

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  16:28:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Yes, "Hi!" to Steven. Have a big hug (virtual, I'm afraid, as neither Ed nor I are physically with you to dispense it).

see, re. this: "Did you have true seeing active?
I mean, for example, Elminster could have simulacrum-created duplicates of himself running around. If Elminster-in-false-persona met simulacrum-of-Elminster, it would look like a meeting between Elminster and the person Elminster's pretending to be, but it wouldn't actually prove anything.
And that's just one way it could be done; there are lots more possible."

Good point, and of course you're right. However, at the Flamsterd meeting, Storm, Dove, and The Simbul were present - - and I doubt El could have deceived all of them successfully, or would want to...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  17:40:08  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message
Hi THO! Can you ask Ed what his favorite Realmsian musical instrument is? As a long-time musician, the question popped into my head and I had to run over to ask!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  18:26:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi Matt! As it happens, this is something Ed and I have talked about, so your answer would be:
The glinklarr, which is a tiny metal (or carved wood) mouth organ with two inner vibrating reeds (for sound output, think: kazoo) and a projecting "snout" (narrowing output rather than a flaring horn) over which are strung four to six fine strings, played one-handed with the fingers of the hand that's holding the horn to the player's lips, that subtly modify the sound with harp glissandos, guitar-like plucks and chords, or a subtle "warbling" tremelo.

I don't think this has made it into print in TSR or WotC products; I have it from Ed's "campaign starter" player notes, circa 1979. Heh; so there you go; new Realmslore!
For eerie loud long-dsitance stuff: a properly-played mournful warhorn, echoing down mountain valleys.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  18:46:40  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message
wow, exactly as I would expect! Give Ed our love :)
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  19:47:04  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message
Hey there THO and ED,

I haven't posted on here in some time, but me and some friends were musing recently while reading the BrotherHood of the Griffon series. We took out a map and started looking around, (now I know the world has changed since the year of blue fire) and we were wondering A) What in the name of Chauntea happened to the Plaguelands?

Also, is there going to be a book, or IS there one out, that details the murder of Midnight? Sorry... Mystra? :P
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  00:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message
THO, I had a bit of a 3 part question I'm fairly sure will bounce into NDA's or just be completely off base.

Given what The Simbul promises Mystra in exchange for the power needed to attempt to save Elminster from Avernus when he was held captive there, the first part of my question is did Mystra have a specific task or event planned for The Simbul to fulfill her promise before her "death" resulted in the Spellplague?

If she did have something planned, the 2nd part of my question would be did the Spellplague ruin such plans, or did they in an indirect way facilitate them?

The 3rd part of the question would be whether the "plan" relates to an answer you gave earlier in regards to The Simbul absorbing power from the old weave through the magic items she consumes to regain her sanity and it reacting to the divine essence she carries inside her.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  00:22:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
First... GOOD to 'see' you again Steven!
Seeing you and George chiming-in on the same subjects gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside

Random Input:

@Creativemind - Fiends normally have no feelings one way or another for their progeny. Devils, on RARE occasions have shown some familial... 'tendencies' (and most often a father-daughter thing, but there are other examples). Demons and 'warping' sort of go together, I would think (just look at Jubilex of Demogorgon).

@Althen Artren - Malaugrym use Shadow magic, and despite her excellent PR team, we now know that Mystra never really controlled 'all' magic. Larue, on the other hand....

@THO - While what you say is obviously true of Flamsterd and that one encounter, I do believe Ed has hinted at a situation along the lines see's possible scenario takes (involving a certain Zhent). Ergo, entirely possible, and even probable, in the case of the Ol' trickster (regarding other on-going 'characters' Elminster has created over the many years).

Love that new Realmslore on the glinklarr - I'll have to use that somewhere.

@Sandstorm - the Plaguelands were the result of the year of blue fire.
They only existed after that time, so your observation is a bit confusing. What era map are you looking at?

Do you mean the Helmlands, maybe?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Oct 2010 00:25:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  00:58:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Hi THO! Can you ask Ed what his favorite Realmsian musical instrument is? As a long-time musician, the question popped into my head and I had to run over to ask!

You know, given my own proclivities for Realms music, I'm embarrassed to say that I never actually thought to ask this particular question.
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi Matt! As it happens, this is something Ed and I have talked about, so your answer would be:
The glinklarr, which is a tiny metal (or carved wood) mouth organ with two inner vibrating reeds (for sound output, think: kazoo) and a projecting "snout" (narrowing output rather than a flaring horn) over which are strung four to six fine strings, played one-handed with the fingers of the hand that's holding the horn to the player's lips, that subtly modify the sound with harp glissandos, guitar-like plucks and chords, or a subtle "warbling" tremelo.

I don't think this has made it into print in TSR or WotC products; I have it from Ed's "campaign starter" player notes, circa 1979. Heh; so there you go; new Realmslore!
For eerie loud long-dsitance stuff: a properly-played mournful warhorn, echoing down mountain valleys.
love,
THO

That's awesome Ed! This Realms music fan thanks you greatly.

Question on the glinklarr:- Were there any notable performers of the glinklarr in the Realms?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  04:24:45  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Thank u sage. I suspected as much, but nobody has ever come out and
said it that I have seen.
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  07:24:25  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message

@Sandstorm - the Plaguelands were the result of the year of blue fire.
They only existed after that time, so your observation is a bit confusing. What era map are you looking at?

Do you mean the Helmlands, maybe?
[/quote]

Well we were mainly looking at it in concern from Phillip Athans Watercourse Trilogy. The terrain greatly changes after those novels, and we were just wondering exactly what the blue fire did to that region and the nagaflow etc...
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  07:56:46  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
I'm wondering, if they are any snippets of lore about Ilythiir. We know about Athamault, Nathamault and the Pit of Slime, about the Houses Sethomiir, Aelryth, Melarn and Hune, but nothing else.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  10:33:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I'm unsure whether my question should be directed to Ed Greenwood or to "Richard Awlinson" (Scott Ciencin and Troy Denning) ...

I've always been curious about the significance or inspiration for "Ao". I don't mean the overgod/entity/character Ao - I mean the name "Ao" itself. It's an odd name. Where did it come from?

Is it a reference to somebody's name or initials? Or some sort of anagram or shortened version of the same? Is it attributed to Tolkein's Silmarillion, in which Eru Ilúvatar (the supreme god) creates (the entire world/universe)? Or loosely modelled after the creator god Gu (Ogun/Oguon) in Yorùbán mythology? Or was it simply chosen as a short and easy name to type? Or something else entirely?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Oct 2010 10:33:57
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  13:37:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I'm unsure whether my question should be directed to Ed Greenwood or to "Richard Awlinson" (Scott Ciencin and Troy Denning) ...

I've always been curious about the significance or inspiration for "Ao". I don't mean the overgod/entity/character Ao - I mean the name "Ao" itself. It's an odd name. Where did it come from?

Is it a reference to somebody's name or initials? Or some sort of anagram or shortened version of the same? Is it attributed to Tolkein's Silmarillion, in which Eru Ilúvatar (the supreme god) creates (the entire world/universe)? Or loosely modelled after the creator god Gu (Ogun/Oguon) in Yorùbán mythology? Or was it simply chosen as a short and easy name to type? Or something else entirely?

AO

Alpha and Omega

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  16:24:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Merrith, re. your three questions:
Ed says you'll have to read ELMINSTER MUST DIE! and BURY ELMINSTER DEEP and the next book to learn more, but the short versions:
1. Yes.
2. No, with Yes for the "or" part of your question...
3. NDA, which of course should tell you you're on to something . . .

So saith Ed, wink and all.
Yet he also added this: it's a lot more complicated than this. We'll all just have to wait and see. Smart gods, like smart people, plan ahead - - but conflicting plans inevitably . . . conflict.

Heh. That puts it rather well,
I think.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  17:14:37  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
Ed, THO, scribes.

I recently reread the Elminster books, and while reading The Temptation of Elminster, i once again found myself intrigued by Baerdagh, the Lion of Elversult. What can you tell me about him and his exploits? When did he become known as the Lion of Elversult, why was he called the Lion? Was Cormyr his main base of operation? Any tidbits of lore about this old warrior would be greatly appreciated sir

-Stig-
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000