Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  14:48:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

One quick question for the Master of the Realms and his Lady Herald: how does Ed reconcile the changing of rules editions regarding the construction of magical items in the Forgotten Realms? In 1st Edition AD&D it takes a rather powerful wizard to craft a magical item, and he may very well lose a point of constitution as well (and must be 11th level to even scribe a scroll)...but in 3e/3.5e even a 1st level wizard may scribe spell scrolls and a 3rd level wizard may make Wonderous Items. What suggestions are there for bridging this seemingly large chasm of magical item creation from different editions?

I should say I'm not aware of what "edition" Ed Greenwood uses in his games...though I have read that such things as rules are almost unneeded in his game after so long...so I'm not sure that he might even be able to answer this if his own game has no mechanical aspect that controls magic item creation.

Pretty sure it's been said Ed's game remains 1E.

As for magical item creation, to me the best set of rules for it remains the ones in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ). Those rules are reasonable and keep some of the wonder of magic involved in the process, instead of making it purely mechanical like 3E did (I assume the same for 4E).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  16:08:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Indeed. A quick search through the "So Saith Ed" archives reveals several past replies on the subject.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  16:27:12  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Indeed. A quick search through the "So Saith Ed" archives reveals several past replies on the subject.

I actually found an answer via Idilippy giving me a PM and pointing me to FAQ 8.4 here at the Keep.

Edit: had to correct the spelling of Idilippy's name! Sorry about that mate!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 18 Sep 2010 16:47:33
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  16:38:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I actually found an answer via Ildippy giving me a PM and pointing me to FAQ 8.4 here at the Keep.

Ah, well. I'd actually forgotten about that little FAQ bit.

Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  16:56:29  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message
I guess there are some benefits to being a longtime lurker on this site who has only recently got around to joining, posting, and reading the site rules and FAQs!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  18:30:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Herewith, a swift reply from Ed of the Greenwood to Dalor Darden re. magic item creation:

Hi, Dalor. In the "home" Realms campaign, which is pretty much 2nd edition by now, with some remaining 1st edition elements (remember: players and DM VOTE on all rules matters, the DM having a double vote but still easily outnumbered by the players if they vote as a bloc, or even any three players voting together without any other opposition; in practise, we rarely vote, and usually just discuss and reach a decision by consensus), magic item creation, and any working with magic more complex than a simple casting of a "standard" (as per rulebook) spell or the scribing of a simple scroll GETS ROLEPLAYED THROUGH...which means that whether or not every last detail of the rules I created, that got published in VOLO'S GUIDE TO ALL THINGS MAGICAL, get followed, that PROCESS gets adhered to, with large amounts of game time elapsing, experimentation, spell ink formulae being concocted or decided upon (using from existing stores on hand, or that can be purchased or bartered for), and so on.
Changes in published rules really don't matter to my players, except inasmuch as they are provided with new ways of handling game situations that they may find attractive, and propose we adopt (bringing on a vote).
Again, in practise, this rarely happens. NOT because we're all brilliant game designers who can do better than the salaried staffers and contracted freelancers working for WotC, but because our style of gaming suits us (the group of "home" Realms players) and therefore we see little reason to change. We're creating ongoing stories together, not competing in convention D&D tournaments or advancing in the RPGA or any other organization; we're discovering the Realms together as our characters live out their lives in it.
Magic item creation should always take time (usually gobs of it!), being interesting and sometimes dangerous and involving that sense of awe and wonder at various points (prayers to Mystra, Oghma, Deneir, Savras, and Azuth, anyone?), and making arcane spellcasters be constantly on the lookout for potential ingredients and focal items, discarded or long-hidden magic and written spell lore, and so on. It makes a campaign so much richer (and sometimes enrages fighters and thieves who want hostile magic blown away RIGHT NOW by "their" wizard...who instead wants to watch and study it for awhile, first).
Hope all of this rambling has been of help...

So saith Ed. Who is happily writing away (and learning to be a better cook, too).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  18:32:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
A reminder to interested scribes: Phantasm is THIS COMING WEEKEND: Saturday Sept 25th and sunday Sept 26th, at the Peterborough Public Library on Aylmer Street in downtown Peterborough, Ontario. A small, cozy local con, and a great chance to sit down with Ed and talk, get autographs, etc. far more easily than at, say, GenCon.
I won't be there, but Ed should be!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  18:44:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Magic item creation should always take time (usually gobs of it!), being interesting and sometimes dangerous and involving that sense of awe and wonder at various points (prayers to Mystra, Oghma, Deneir, Savras, and Azuth, anyone?), and making arcane spellcasters be constantly on the lookout for potential ingredients and focal items, discarded or long-hidden magic and written spell lore, and so on.

Snipping just a bit to focus on one part of the post... To me, one of 2E's greatest strengths, one that has yet to be equalled by any subsequent edition (even Pathfinder), was the complete monster descriptions. Monster descriptions in 2E didn't just focus on how the critter acted in combat, but also in how and where it lived. And another part of the description discussed uses for bits of the critter once it was dead -- how this critter's eyes enhanced this kind of spell, or how its spleen was often used for creating this other magical item. There was so much potential in 2E monster descriptions, and it's something that's unforunately been ignored ever since.

On a similar note, though, Volo's Guide to All Things Magical does include magical properties of a lot of woods and minerals. It's one of many reasons the book is among my fave Realms supplements.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  18:44:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and on a sadder note:

I can now answer Sage of Stars (and Jakk) re. the publishing news that SofS alluded to:

Susan Morris has (voluntarily, for greener pastures and a change from doing a punishingly heavy workload) left Wizards of the Coast, leaving the Realms without an in-house editor, and WotC's dedicated book publishing staff down to just two people: Mirrorstone/Practical Guides editor Nina Hess and her boss Liz Schuh, who (I believe) now report to James Wyatt. James posted about seeking a replacement, pronto, and the job posting is now up on the WotC website. I know Ed is happy for Susan and looking forward to reading her on SeriousPixie.com soon, but very sad that he's lost his favourite editor.
Mary Kirchoff, Peter Archer, Phil Athans, Cortney Mirabetta, Mark Sehestedt, Erin Evans, and now Susan . . .
Sigh. I hope Wizards will still be publishing fiction, in a year or two!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  18:47:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I agree, Wooly. For one thing, acquiring monster "parts" (even something as mundane as orc blood, or human hair or fingernails, but ranging right up to beholder eyeballs and the hearts of dragons) to sell or barter gives even down-and-out adventurers a way of earning their daily bread, if not their fortunes (and a REASON for going adventuring, other than being lawless free spirits who love to kill).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  18:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
I agree. Very sad news for Realms fans re. Susan Morris. I understand her last day was yesterday (Friday the 17th). She'll be missed.
Even if Realms fans don't realize it, her hand was at work behind the scenes, as she got lore from Ed for writers at work in the Realms, discussed and got agreement on how this or that place or character or topic should be handled...all of that.
But it's happened now, and life must move on..
Speaking of which, and on a happier note, what outside-the-Realms writing can we look forward to from Ed, in the near future, that he's allowed to reveal?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  19:03:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Sage of Stars.
Well, not being Ed, I'll have to check with him about some things, but here's what I know about, off the top of my head:

- - some Golarion serial short webfiction for Paizo (to appear on their website, probably soon)
- - a modern-day heroic action adventure short story for a Robin Laws-edited Pelgrane Press anthology, NEW HEROES RISING
- - a modern-day adventure story for a Jennifer Brozek-edited anthology, BEAUTY HAS HER WAY
- - an sf short story for FORESHADOWS, a collaborative short stories and music anthology edited by Jeff LaSala (there's a Facebook page for this one, and a recorded interview with Ed coming up soon)
- - the Spin A Yarn tale from this year's GenCon (okay, it IS Realms, but I don't want it to overlooked)
- - Ed is co-editing (and, I think, writing a story for) a Dragon Moon Press anthology, WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME (his co-editor is Gabrielle Harbowy, who is a rising force worth watching)
- - I THINK Ed is puttering away on a story for the ChainStory Project that Mike Stackpole started this past year
- - Ed is working on something for David Hartwell at TOR, perhaps just at the proposal stage
- - Ed has a fantasy trilogy or series proposal in the hands of his agent, Andy Zack, known as either "Stealing For The Princess" or "Thieves of the Princess"
- - Ed is writing his annual Christmas story, to be read aloud at the library where he works in early December
. . . and there's probably more I don't know about, in addition to the matters I'm not sure Ed is allowed to reveal, yet. If he can say more, he'll let me know, and I'll spill it here, okay?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  19:12:30  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Sage of Stars.
Well, not being Ed, I'll have to check with him about some things, but here's what I know about, off the top of my head:

- - some Golarion serial short webfiction for Paizo (to appear on their website, probably soon)
- - a modern-day heroic action adventure short story for a Robin Laws-edited Pelgrane Press anthology, NEW HEROES RISING
- - a modern-day adventure story for a Jennifer Brozek-edited anthology, BEAUTY HAS HER WAY
- - an sf short story for FORESHADOWS, a collaborative short stories and music anthology edited by Jeff LaSala (there's a Facebook page for this one, and a recorded interview with Ed coming up soon)
- - the Spin A Yarn tale from this year's GenCon (okay, it IS Realms, but I don't want it to overlooked)
- - Ed is co-editing (and, I think, writing a story for) a Dragon Moon Press anthology, WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME (his co-editor is Gabrielle Harbowy, who is a rising force worth watching)
- - I THINK Ed is puttering away on a story for the ChainStory Project that Mike Stackpole started this past year
- - Ed is working on something for David Hartwell at TOR, perhaps just at the proposal stage
- - Ed has a fantasy trilogy or series proposal in the hands of his agent, Andy Zack, known as either "Stealing For The Princess" or "Thieves of the Princess"
- - Ed is writing his annual Christmas story, to be read aloud at the library where he works in early December
. . . and there's probably more I don't know about, in addition to the matters I'm not sure Ed is allowed to reveal, yet. If he can say more, he'll let me know, and I'll spill it here, okay?
love,
THO

Proof at last!!: Ed's a Chosen. If he weren't, he'd have to sleep sometime, which he clearly does not!

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  19:41:47  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:

One quick question for the Master of the Realms and his Lady Herald: how does Ed reconcile the changing of rules editions regarding the construction of magical items in the Forgotten Realms? In 1st Edition AD&D it takes a rather powerful wizard to craft a magical item, and he may very well lose a point of constitution as well (and must be 11th level to even scribe a scroll)...but in 3e/3.5e even a 1st level wizard may scribe spell scrolls and a 3rd level wizard may make Wonderous Items. What suggestions are there for bridging this seemingly large chasm of magical item creation from different editions?

I should say I'm not aware of what "edition" Ed Greenwood uses in his games...though I have read that such things as rules are almost unneeded in his game after so long...so I'm not sure that he might even be able to answer this if his own game has no mechanical aspect that controls magic item creation.

Look through the older replies and you'll find Ed explaining this.

The number of magical items in the Realms is actually a secret hidden in plain sight. In Ed's home Realms, a number of methods to create magical items much faster, easier and without Con loss exist and this is the reason for why they are so much more numerous than a strict reading of the (A)D&D rules suggests.

Some of these, of course, are considered 'evil' and involve draining Con from other creatures.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  21:54:39  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Sage of Stars.

love,
THO

How many of said "annual Christmas story"(s) have there been? And wouldn't that be an interesting collection to hear? ( or read!)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  22:52:48  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Thank you to Ed, and The Hooded One for that matter, for the response about the skirts (and as a scribe from even more northern pastures than Ed, albeit with better access to the Gulfstream, I'm not surprised to notice they seem to be concentrated in the south of Faerun - for a good part of the year my reaction to seeing even a stunningly good-looking woman in a short skirt tends to be along the lines of: "She must be freezing to death in that!")

Now how about shorts?

...or to be rather more serious, which doesn't mean I wouldn't like an answer about the shorts, which is more popular: trousers or hose?
And as a follow-up, are these worn all across the Realms, or is it Cormyr - trousers, Impiltur - hoses, Thay - leather bustiers and nipple clamps with a robe over it?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  00:42:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Kajehase, Ed has furnished us with numerous clothing and fashion replies in these threads over the years, but we'll see what else your queries can prod out of him.
Red Walker, there have been six or seven previous annual Christmas stories. They tend to be tearjerky, non-religious but "good human nature" modern-day tales meant to be read aloud to a family or larger audience, and to be low-magic or more often no magic at all. There are plans to eventually publish them in a "stocking stuffer" Christmas-time volume, from which would donate the royalties to the library where he works (and, annually, reads a story at the library's Christmas open house).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  01:17:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Sage of Stars.

love,
THO

I knew it! Ed's mastered Manshoon's cloning technique. That's the only explanation for how he can achieve so much so quickly.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  02:47:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Kajehase, Ed has furnished us with numerous clothing and fashion replies in these threads over the years, but we'll see what else your queries can prod out of him.
Red Walker, there have been six or seven previous annual Christmas stories. They tend to be tearjerky, non-religious but "good human nature" modern-day tales meant to be read aloud to a family or larger audience, and to be low-magic or more often no magic at all. There are plans to eventually publish them in a "stocking stuffer" Christmas-time volume, from which would donate the royalties to the library where he works (and, annually, reads a story at the library's Christmas open house).
love to all,
THO

That sounds like a great Christmas stocking stuffer indeed.....I have check on standby , can I reserve the first copy that makes across the border

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  04:06:07  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Dear Ed & Lady Herald......any news on the position of Arnothoi????? any lore that isn't NDA you can share???

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  04:22:02  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
I hear Pfizer is ver close to getting their patent for it approved.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  08:40:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Note: I'm staying out of all the speculation about Tanalasta and her sire, because to give a definitive answer (if I even have one, dun dun dunnnnnn) would spoil all the fun.

If by "fun" you mean the impending (meaning, a definite (if not precise) window has been set for) publication of the Lineage, then I suppose I've lost a bet... on the other hand, if by "fun" you mean simply continuing to enjoy watching us non-NDA-privy folks tear out what little hair we have (I have a buzzcut for a reason, and it's not to keep the hair out of my eyes), then I deeply regret not yet having to pay up... that's a bet I'd love to lose any time.

For the curious: If and when the Lineage does see the light of day, I'm buying my DM a new set of dice... the metal ones, if I can afford them, but Paizo's been doing a pretty good job of keeping my disposable income pre-spent. I figure betting against myself is the safest thing to do in this situation; either I get what I want, or I win a bet. Stephen Hawking did the same thing a number of years ago regarding something to do with black holes; I believe he lost his bet, much to his relief.

quote:

Oh, and on a sadder note:

I can now answer Sage of Stars (and Jakk) re. the publishing news that SofS alluded to:

Susan Morris has (voluntarily, for greener pastures and a change from doing a punishingly heavy workload) left Wizards of the Coast, leaving the Realms without an in-house editor, and WotC's dedicated book publishing staff down to just two people: Mirrorstone/Practical Guides editor Nina Hess and her boss Liz Schuh, who (I believe) now report to James Wyatt. James posted about seeking a replacement, pronto, and the job posting is now up on the WotC website. I know Ed is happy for Susan and looking forward to reading her on SeriousPixie.com soon, but very sad that he's lost his favourite editor.
Mary Kirchoff, Peter Archer, Phil Athans, Cortney Mirabetta, Mark Sehestedt, Erin Evans, and now Susan . . .
Sigh. I hope Wizards will still be publishing fiction, in a year or two!
love to all,
THO

And here I thought that we were only seeing three gaming titles per world so that WotC could focus on fiction... I sense a great disturbance in the Force...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 19 Sep 2010 08:43:16
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  20:01:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
That's just the bad gaucomole dip you ate at that party.

THO, I'm in the middle of reading Vol.24 of L. Ron Hubbard's Writers of the Future, and can't believe I never bothered with these before. Is Ed familiar with them?

Some VERY good stories in there, chock full of good gaming ideas (and not just the fantasy material), and also loaded with advice for aspiring writers.

Great Stuff - I highly recommend it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Sep 2010 20:01:58
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  02:33:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, Ed is indeed familiar with that anthology series, both its beginnings (when Algis Budrys was editing) and more recent offerings. The last Writers of the Future volume I saw on his shelves was number 18, but that's in the last aisle, where the boxes of D&D minis are stacked up atop a huge old computer monitor, so I don't get back there all that often.
(After all, it's not my library, and I don't go snooping around Ed's house, so I only step into that aisle when Ed takes me back there to show me something.)
Full agreement: some great stories, and even when the tales are weak or failures, they're INTERESTING attempts.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  04:52:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I agree with Markus and THO, those anthologies are really interesting. And though I am not exactly a fan of short fiction, I enjoyed reading them. But I stopped reading at Vol. 17. A lot of far more interesting books have caught my attention; and since life is so short, I follow my priorities.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  05:11:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
Hi, Ed and Lady THO!

I originally posted this question/guess/assumption in Gen FR Chat, and a number of scribes advised me to ask you instead. So here it is...

I find it unusual that there exists such permanent edge – the silverfire – over anyone, be it corporeal or otherwise. Silverfire breaks all kinds of defenses, even those by Larloch himself, and quite possibly, if it still exists, the gods-barrier of the Imaskari. Somehow, I see it as an imbalance in power in the Realms. I recall some powerful wizards outside FR whose rank and magical abilities might be akin to the Chosen's, or at least to El's, Khelben's, and The Simbul's: the necromancer Martris Drayke (from Gail Z. Martin's novels), whose favor of their goddess occasionally saves him from impasses; the Midkemian wizard Pug (from Raymond E. Feist's books), whose mastery of the Greater Path lends him considerable magical strength; and the amber wizard Gerin Atreyano (from David Forbes's novels), whose inner “magical conduit” allows him to summon vast amount of magic no other wizard could. Yet these three do not have something in them that can rend all kinds of magical barrier or destroy all sorts of material and immaterial creatures. There are of course some artifacts outside the Realms that function like the silverfire, but unlike the latter, they can be stolen; hence, the edge can be passed from one character to another, much unlike the silverfire, which stays with the Chosen.

The only wizard in the Realms I can think to have devised a counter-spell to the silverfire is The Sojourner. Having a goal that literally spells immeasurable destruction in Toril, he must have been aware that sooner or later, the Chosen would take interest and personally stop him. What other preparation he could make than arm himself with a defense against the Chosen's most potent weapon: the silverfire?! I'd like to think that he made such spell from the combined energies of the Weave and the Shadow Weave, with a deva and a shade as sacrifices.

Or is there someone else who really invented such a spell?

A scribe mentioned that it would be kind of weird - if silverfire is the essence of Mystra herself - and counter-productive for Mystra to allow any spell which counters it. But if Mystryl herself did not have the counter-spell to Karsus's Avatar (which drew power from the Weave) and even resorted to killing herself, I'm more inclined to believe that there is a possibility that someone (or perhaps it would take a cabal of wizards) can create a spell that negates silverfire. Besides, there is the Shadow Weave, another source of magic, that any wizards can tap on. And (just like what the Sojourner once did with the Weave Tap) it might take the combined energies of both weaves to fashion such spell.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 20 Sep 2010 06:06:04
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  19:11:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
dennis, I'm obviously not Ed, and I've sent your post off to him for a proper reply, but this is a topic that has been covered several times before, and (as best I can recall from my increasingly faulty memory; age, you know ), the silver fire is the (channeled) raw energy of the world, whereas the Weave (Mystra herself) is the "collector grid" harnessing that energy, and arcane magic spells are recipes for channeling specific energies from the Weave to achieve specific effects.
So, yes, silver fire IS unusual, but it also "burns through everything" (except carefully counter-hurled silver fire or, for very short periods [because magics can't stand against fire that dissolves their energies and effects into itself], shielding spells) and prevails. Wielding silver fire in a focussed manner, as a weapon or to achieve a healing/recharging effect, is an aptitude, NOT a learned spell (thus, a class or prestige class or kit or character ability [depending on edition] in the game, rather than a spell that can be devised, borrowed, stolen, bartered, or otherwise transferred).
Outside Realmspace, silver fire may not manifest at all; inside Realmspace, it is the paramount, destroying-all-else force. Some deities may withstand it by their innate abilities or perhaps by magic mortals haven't learned from them, but it is not, in itself, magic that can be countered by magic.
To use a clumsy analogy, silver fire is the water blasting from a pressure washer, whereas spells are either heavy paper bags (to carry water) or heavy paper sheets (spell barriers), that can manipulate water for short periods, but can't withstand such a blast.
You seem to be thinking of silver fire as some sort of "super magic" that can be thwarted or countered by a "more powerful" spell than those already in the rulebooks (except older edition rulebooks that have WISH or LIMITED WISH in them ). This has also been the view of some designers over the years who haven't bothered to discuss this with Ed, or refer to the "Realms bible" he wrote for internal staff use at TSR years ago, that all Realms designers are supposed to (actually, are contractually obligated to) follow. (That's how we end up with spells in print that purport to duplicate the silver fire).
However, thinking of silver fire in this way leaves the thinker puzzled as to all the inconsistencies with published fiction and certain lore they encounter, arising from this view. It also leads to the incorrect "silver fire is a game imbalance" view, and the similarly incorrect "silver fire is mighty magic; why hasn't someone countered it with a mightier magic? Surely someone has; why isn't this in print?" view.
We know that the aptitude for handling silver fire is due to Mystra's divine essence, infused (in however small amounts) in a mortal, who may or may not be aware that it's there. The limited number of mortals she has infused with her ability to tap the Weave (herself) in this manner is the solution to the game balance problem: silver fire, in Ed's realms, is NOT something every wizard, sorcerer, warlock, or just plain (classless, non-adventuring) Joe can choose to "take for themselves" and use, though the way the game rulebooks express the world for players of the game can lead a player to think that it is "an option available to all." Remember, all PCs are supposed to be "exceptional" individuals in a world.
Perhaps a better question to ask is: if my character - - or any other PC or NPC under discussion - - has the ability to wield spellfire or the silver fire, WHY do they have a part of Mystra's divine essence in them? Did Mystra put it there deliberately, and if so, why? Are there Sinister Grand Hidden Plans being laid and worked on, and unfolding? (and if so, to what desired ends????) Or do I have the silver fire (or spellfire) by the mischance of being bitten by a radioactive spider? Or is it something in between (we know that the essence can be transferred by birth, because we know it's hereditary in some families)?
And of course, the BIGGEST mistake of all would be to think that Ed hasn't planned all of this, perhaps as long as 1967 or so (before the D&D game).
Not that he may be able to share much about it. Some things are secret (and NDA'd to remain so) for good reasons of keeping the games and books more entertaining because some things Remain Unrevealed . . .
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Sep 2010 19:29:29
Go to Top of Page

Jeff LaSala
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  20:34:37  Show Profile  Visit Jeff LaSala's Homepage Send Jeff LaSala a Private Message
quote:

Hey all...

I wanted to give you a little bit more information about this particular item. Mr. Greenwood has kindly encouraged me to mention it here. The anthology in question is called Foreshadows: The Ghosts of Zero, and it's a cyber-sci-fi book+CD slated for early 2011. Ed wrote a short story for this book, and now his "shadow portrait" page is live on our website:

http://foreshadows.net/authors/edgreenwood/

Therein you'll find a button at the bottom of the page where you can play his audio interview with Synthia, B-1X90 beta model interview-simulacrum on loan from the benevolent-but-overshadowing B-One Corporation. I have to admit, we didn't expect an android to be so flirtatious with him. But then he is Ed Greenwood.

I've personally been a fan of the Forgotten Realms and Ed Greenwood since I was a kid, and it was a real honor to work with him on this.

jefflasala.com
foreshadows.net

Eberron: The Darkwood Mask
Goodman Games: DCC #29, 31, and #35: Gazetteer of the Known Realms

Edited by - Jeff LaSala on 21 Nov 2010 16:07:11
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  03:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
I was wondering if Ed or our dearest Lady could speak a bit on the Order of Aster. There seems to be very little information on them. Specifically, have they been around a long time? Was their founder Aster? I figure there must be around 1,200 members in total since City of Splendors: Waterdeep states each company is housed at one of a dozen or so church abbeys. Is that about right?

My completely speculative theory is connecting two dots. The Company of Twelve that fought the lich Sammaster in the Desertmouth Mountains only had 3 surviving members one could have been Aster and gone on to form the order. Or they formed it and named after their fallen commander. That puts it nearing 100 years old Pre-Spellplague.

*Gelcur rolls the dice and hopes for a crit.*

As always, thank you.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  06:10:17  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
Greetings to Ed of the Green Wood and our beloved THO- I bring a couple of queries about everyone's favorite silver-haired Chosen ladies...

So, re-reading the Seven Sisters today, I came across a realization, and I'm not sure if it's significant or not: None of the Seven sisters are priestesses (as in the Cleric class) of Mystra. Given that 5 of the sisters have multiple classes, are the daughters of Mystra, and are all caring, tenderhearted women who care deeply for folk of all stripes- often expending great effort to aid and protect common folk- it would seem natural that ONE of them would gravitate toward the priesthood. Were it not for the fact that Elminster and Quilue both have Cleric levels, I would guess that some aspect of priestly magic interfered with the functioning of Silver Fire, or vice versa, but that clearly isn't the case. Is it because none of the 6 human sisters were interested in the strictures of the clergy? Or perhaps that Mystra subtly guided the Sisters away from the clergy, wanting them to be independent of the hierarchy?

As a related question, what is the status of the Chosen in the Mystran faith? Can (say) Khelben walk into a Halruuan cathedral to the Lady of Mystery and demand assistance? Or would the priests there never have heard of him? I imagine that any Mystran cleric who knew who they were dealing with would render all aid possible, out of respect or fear, but do the Chosen have formal rank in the church? Have any of them been known to conduct services at Mystran temples? (For some reason, the image of Storm or Alustriel addressing a congregation seems to *click* as being very in character for them.)
Many thanks!

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 21 Sep 2010 06:11:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000