Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  18:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

One postscript, upon reflection: Azoun was/is no dunderhead or easily-manipulated dupe, and neither is Filfaeril. It's important not to overemphasize "Vangey as Machiavelli" here, and to avoid seeing Azoun or his queen as weak, enspelled, or oblivious. They, too, play the game of "balancing bastards and heirs" off against each other, for the good of the realm (i.e. to keep the throne strong and the Obarskyr bloodlines very much in existence, but also to prevent civil war/their own assassinations/overmuch feuding amongst the nobles).
Right. My work here is done. For a few breaths.
More lore soon,
love to all,
THO

Are you trying to hint that Alusair is a true heir and her sister is not Azoun's child?

Ooh, I second this question. And the one about Myrkul too!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  19:41:56  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Ed, any medusa of note in your realms who were famous for something other than stereotypical behavior? Perhaps one who followed a non evil god, sired a child who would be famous for something, do something great but perhaps unknown in the realms?

Any good medusa of note?
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  20:25:20  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Thank you all, George, Zireael, and the Lord of Bones himself! for answering my question about the Crown of Horns. I hate not having my books with me!

Ed, consider my second question answered. Completely. Please disregard.

This actually fits right in with my plans for Myrkul post-Nhyris... right around the time of the return of Bane, actually... And I'll second the question about Myrkul and the Crown from the Lord of Bones, and I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one interested in the Lineage. Maybe we can drag it kicking and screaming out of WotC's NDA vaults... but I'm still watching the sky for those flying pigs... as I told Brian Cortijo / Garen Thal in his scroll, waiting for pigs to fly is much less disappointing than waiting for the release of the Cormyr Lineage, because I don't care whether the former happens or not.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  20:40:18  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Oh... one more thing I just remembered... it's probably a silly question, but it should be easily answered.

Ed, in Elminster Must Die, was your use of a sword and a chalice for the sought-after objects in question deliberate, or a happy accident? I'm suspecting deliberate... the more I learn about the pre-Spellplague Realms, the more everything seems quite carefully and deliberately assembled... and trying to track down the "missing" (deliberately left out) pieces is precisely what I've loved about the Realms over the past 23 years.

Many thanks again!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  23:27:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
IIRC, Elminster did NOT rule Athalanter at any point - he was it's rightful ruler, but gave the job away the moment Athalanter was left leaderless by his actions.

So that could mean that Athalanter does NOT count, and it could be TWO other political entities he is referring to. There was that place he chased those bandit-lords out of, way back when - the story did say he returned there, so that could be one place he 'ruled' over (perhaps). Sorry I don't have a name for you - not near sources - it was the one wherein he met that young girl and helped her (and later 'helped her' some more).

I remember another kingdom, I think somewhere in the vicinity of Sunset Vale, but I'm not sure. All I can remember ATM was that it reminded me of athalanter for some reason (and once again, sorry I can't be more specific - this being away from home is driving me nuts). That's another remote possibility. So is the Realm of three crowns, for that matter.

Then again, it could be two places we've never even heard of - places long-gone - who knows?

As for the Crown of Thorns, I like to think that the massive Black Diamond that is it's centerpiece was the same Black Diamond that was responsible for the fall of the original homeland of the Fey... but that's just homebrew. I thought of that after seeing a picture of the crown, in a rather obscure source (one of the MM's, I believe).

As for when he created it, I would say it would have to have been long before the ToT.

I just thought of something..... Both Khelben and Elminster may have known the Dark Three while they were still mortal! They ascended after the fall of Netheril, correct?

Hmmmmm... Myrkul as a Chosen of Mystra.... NAHHHHHHH.

And so I don't get into trouble for not asking a question - Another one tied to 'deeper layers'. Was there yet another covert group, even more secret, behind the Harpers?

For some reason I am also getting a very 'Illuminati' vibe from Candlekeep.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Sep 2010 23:30:39
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  23:39:10  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Oooh! I can answer that last question, Markustay, despite not being Ed or THO:

Yes.

I asked Ed that same question at The Great Canadian Baycon convention in Hamilton, Ontario some years back, and he replied with just a "Yes" and that he wasn't going to say ANYTHING more on it, until "certain things get published."

Wheee... look at all those GREAT questions on this page, above this post. Can't wait for some answers!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  23:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Oh, wait, I can answer another one of them.
Snowblood, Peterborough is NOT the library where Ed works. Phantasm has been held there for years, and Ed's been attending it for years, but no, he works in Port Hope, some 50-60 miles south and a little west from Peterborough.
Which is north of the west end of Rice Lake, in Southern Ontario, which is big enough to show up on most maps. Go around the west end of that lake and straight south to hit the shores of Lake Ontario (one of the Great Lakes, large enough to show up on ANY proper map), and you're in Port Hope.
Confusingly, that's where Ed works, but not the library board he chairs. Which has a territory east of that.
Before retiring and starting part-time work in Port Hope, Ed worked for thirty years(!) for the North York library, now part of the Toronto Public Library in, you guessed it, Toronto, Ontario. Which is about 80 miles or so west of Port Hope.
Geez, I take a long time to answer a simple question. Sorry.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  23:54:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Hi again, all, and well played, Blueblade.
Let's see how much light I can shed on some more of these queries, before Ed provides proper replies.

First, I can confirm that Blueblade's reply re. Ed's library work is entirely correct.

Markustay is correct to say that Athalantar "doesn't count" as a place Elminster has ruled...but neither does the place he's thinking of, in his post. Which means, yep, "it could be two places we've never even heard of - places long-gone - who knows?"

Jakk, the sword and chalice were deliberately chosen, yes.
(Ed and I have discussed this.)
And your question #1, about how a particular "illustrious" character got trapped, is NDA. I believe Ed intends to reveal it in future, but that "future" may well be after 2011, in a later venue than BURY ELMINSTER DEEP.

createvmind, the answer to your medusa question is: Yes. There was a medusa ruler (of a city-state). I'll leave it to Ed to say more.

Zireael, so far as I know, Ed is NOT hinting that Tanalasta had any other father than Azoun IV. However, he may surprise me. After all, he's done so many, many times before.

. . . and that's all, until I can get permission from Ed to reveal a little more about certain things.
Ah, the Realms just gets deeper and deeper . . .
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  06:41:15  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
Many blessings be upon you both, Loremaster Most High and Lady Most Hooded.

The paladin Corwin Freas, who liberated Turmish from Anaglathos the dragon, seems an intriguing figure. He willingly gave up power as a Lord of Turmish and created an enduring democratic assembly to rule in his stead.

I couldn't find much on this figure in any of the places I thought to look, though. I can't even find an answer to the first thing I wondered about. Which deity did Freas serve?

Also, any other Realslore about him, his origins or any legacy he may have left beind (that applies in the 1370s) would be most welcome.

Sweet water and light laughter until next.

Humbly yours,
a seeker of knowledge and truth.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  07:17:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Oooh! I can answer that last question, Markustay, despite not being Ed or THO:

Yes.

I asked Ed that same question at The Great Canadian Baycon convention in Hamilton, Ontario some years back, and he replied with just a "Yes" and that he wasn't going to say ANYTHING more on it, until "certain things get published."

Wheee... look at all those GREAT questions on this page, above this post. Can't wait for some answers!
BB

BB (and LL, if you're interested) , nor can I... but I suspect that most of our answers will be: NDA. As far as the matter of "certain things getting published," if any of those things is the Cormyr Lineage or otherwise "mostly lore and not a novel" then I suspect we'll be waiting on WotC for as long as they think it will take to make us all lose interest, but I know that Ed and Brian C. are doing everything in their power to make the publication of the Lineage happen before then.

Edit: Sept 14: toned down my cynicism to a less-than-cosmic level... largely because I appreciate everything Ed and Brian have done in their efforts to bring the Lineage out of the NDA vaults, and those efforts deserve better than a cosmic level of despair. I still have hope on this matter, but certain (not all) decisions at WotC over the past ten years have taught me (whether deliberately or not) that hope is a dangerous thing... and Elminster Must Die and its upcoming sequel seem to be determined to reverse this teaching, for which I am immensely grateful.[/edit]

However, I'm hoping that my cynicism is unjustified, and that we will learn something, however vague, about exactly what needs to be published for this particular bit of lore to come out...

Edited by - Jakk on 14 Sep 2010 20:54:50
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  02:51:37  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Can you share anything on the WotC Realms publishing news yet? Or is it still "under wraps"?
And re. Realmslore: did the Knights ever uncover the "big" buried treasure hidden in Mistledale? If so, can you share with us what it was?
Or is it still a lurking unsolved mystery of the Realms?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  13:51:19  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
Milady,

We've been having a discussion here with regard to an item I found. To whit:

In Dragon #275, p.93, in the article, "The Adventures of Volo: The Crumbling Stair", in footnote #6, Ed notes that frozenfalls "were often the foci for minor house mythals".

Not having encountered the concept of a "minor mythal" before, I was wondering if you could add anything to our understanding of such magicks. I know that Ed has long toyed with permanent wards, wardkeys, minor useful household magics, etc.

Is there a universal theme behind them? Are they all unique? Were minor mythals common at one time? Presumably they weren't as dangerous to create, but conversely, probably not as powerful.

In short, anything the Bearded One cares to elaborate on with regard to the footnote would be much appreciated!

"Saving a life, though regrettable, is a small price to pay for a whole lifetime of unfettered killing."
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  17:25:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Zireael, so far as I know, Ed is NOT hinting that Tanalasta had any other father than Azoun IV. However, he may surprise me. After all, he's done so many, many times before.

. . . and that's all, until I can get permission from Ed to reveal a little more about certain things.
love to all,
THO

Ohhhh...glad I asked, and I will cross my fingers and hope for something interesting to unfold

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  18:42:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Sage of Stars, I'm afraid it's still under wraps. For now.
And as for the treasure: well, yes and no.
Which is, I'm afraid, all I can say thus far.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  01:31:26  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

love to all,
THO

Ohhhh...glad I asked, and I will cross my fingers and hope for something interesting to unfold

This could be catastrophic for Cormyr... if Tanalasta is in fact not a daughter of Azoun IV, it means that all subsequent monarchs of Cormyr, including Azoun V, have been illegitimately crowned.

Edit: Just another reason for releasing the Cormyr Lineage...

A question for Ed on a completely different matter (I think...):
Why did Ao leave the Imaskari barrier intact until the Time of Troubles rather than removing it more immediately after the fall of Imaskar in -2488 DR? I'm sure that Ao had a reason for waiting almost four millennia to remove the barrier, but what was that reason? Or is that another NDA'd topic?

Many thanks in advance for any answer... or even speculation, if neither NDA nor firm answer exists... although somehow I doubt that scenario...

Edited by - Jakk on 15 Sep 2010 01:33:26
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  01:41:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Oh... milady THO, does this Realms publishing news have anything to do with the "one new Realms sourcebook a year" talk that went on at (I believe) last year's GenCon? Either way, I'll try to be patient and not inquire further.

(Personally, I'm hoping that they're acquiescing to the demands of us grognards and agreeing to publish (in some form) some of the old lore previously submitted by Ed and unpublished... like heraldry of the Realms and other mechanics-free goodness... the Cormyr Lineage would be nice, not to beat anything to death...)

Edited by - Jakk on 15 Sep 2010 01:42:41
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  02:05:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Does the publishing news have anything to do with this ?

http://www.amazon.com/Dawnbringer-Forgotten-Realms-Samantha-Henderson/dp/0786957948/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284512406&sr=1-2

New series of young adult novels set in the realms? with a romantic theme?
Romeo and Juliet in the realms?

Edited by - The Red Walker on 15 Sep 2010 02:34:55
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  02:20:46  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Hmm under Mistledale.....that'd be Uvaerens lost Library perhaps???????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  09:54:46  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
This could be catastrophic for Cormyr... if Tanalasta is in fact not a daughter of Azoun IV, it means that all subsequent monarchs of Cormyr, including Azoun V, have been illegitimately crowned.

And that is why I cannot see Vangerdahast allowing the sucession of Tana - his first priority is to the Dragon Throne and Cormyr, not the royal family. If Tana had not been of Azoun's blood then he would have already taken steps to ensure her removal from the 'next-in-line list'.

Of course it wouldn't suprise me to learn that this rumour is being bandied about the royal court by those who want young King Azoun V dethroned (circa 1384 DR or so)

Amazing how someone jumps to a conclusion because of what they thought was meant and how it then becomes a "threat to the kingdom" (ahhh Candlekeep forums mirroring the royal court of Cormyr)

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  21:56:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

And that is why I cannot see Vangerdahast allowing the sucession of Tana - his first priority is to the Dragon Throne and Cormyr, not the royal family. If Tana had not been of Azoun's blood then he would have already taken steps to ensure her removal from the 'next-in-line list'.

Of course it wouldn't suprise me to learn that this rumour is being bandied about the royal court by those who want young King Azoun V dethroned (circa 1384 DR or so)

Amazing how someone jumps to a conclusion because of what they thought was meant and how it then becomes a "threat to the kingdom" (ahhh Candlekeep forums mirroring the royal court of Cormyr)

Cheers

Damian

No conclusion jumping here at all. Just a bit of fishing.

THO stated that Azoun and Fee played the game of balancing bastards and heirs.......wouldn't be much of a game if Azound held all the playing pieces now would it?

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  19:06:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hmmm. I suspect that the game, for Fee, consists of manipulating her husband without him noticing, and succeeding in manipulating Vangey at all...
BB
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  19:23:10  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hmmm. I suspect that the game, for Fee, consists of manipulating her husband without him noticing, and succeeding in manipulating Vangey at all...
Quite right.

Filfaeril is far more intelligent than anyone gives her credit for--Alaphondar, Vangey, and her own husband all included, to say nothing of overreaching nobles. They've all learned the hard way that to underestimate just how shrewd the Dragon Queen* is can be a dangerous proposition.

As has been revealed in snippets of Hand of Fire, Death of the Dragon, and elsewhere, Filfaeril knows far more than Vangerdahast or Azoun usually expect, and she acts on that knowledge for the good of her family and that of the realm... even if that means going against either of those two men's express wishes. That means that she plots and cajoles and--yes--even steers Azoun towards couplings of which she approves, or can monitor, or which are between him and loyal servants of the Crown, that she can demand their cessation or the elimination of a traitorous paramour.

*And, as Alaphondar will remind anyone who asks, 'Dragon Queen' is not an epithet Fee earned simply by marrying Azoun.

Note: I'm staying out of all the speculation about Tanalasta and her sire, because to give a definitive answer (if I even have one, dun dun dunnnnnn) would spoil all the fun.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  08:03:39  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal:
Filfaeril is far more intelligent than anyone gives her credit for

Even Elminster? Because as his 'daughter', and taking into account his age, experience and position, I'd think he'd be the best one to evaluate her correctly.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  14:21:36  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Well, Elminster isn't just anyone.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  14:35:44  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal:
Filfaeril is far more intelligent than anyone gives her credit for

Even Elminster? Because as his 'daughter', and taking into account his age, experience and position, I'd think he'd be the best one to evaluate her correctly.
Well, that's more a timeline question than anything else. Not knowing Ed's particulars on exactly when they each found out about the other (in a family-relation sense), I'd argue 'not at first.'

Fee is a beautiful, charming, insightful woman, who can be at once inviting and stand-offish. When she wants, she falls easily and comfortably into the trophy wife role, and this puts people who ought to be on their guard around her at ease. Few people think her stupid, but it took the Court--save for a few veterans--a long, long time to figure out that Filfaeril wasn't just arm candy. She's as politically astute as her husband, if not more so. She's smart as a whip (and as biting as one, when she chooses to be). And when Azoun is off hunting or cavorting, Filfaeril is studying and reading and watching.

Eventually, all those I listed above, and Elminster, too, learned just how sharp Filfaeril was. And again, none of them thought her stupid to begin with (Azoun did not marry her simply for her looks). But almost no one, including the vast majority of readers, realizes how intelligent Filfaeril is until it's too late to do anything about it.

Which is why Azoun loves her so deeply, and why Vangerdahast and Alaphondar, each in their own way, held secret longings for the Dragon Queen before the Purple Dragon's death.
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  16:46:20  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Hi Ed & Great Lady....was the little known elven realm of Arnothoi, north or south of the Arkhan river or did it straddle the river????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  23:53:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Given all we know about Cormyr, it would be a near-impossibility for Tanlasta to have not been Azoun's spawn. Too many have put too much work into Cormyr and it's Royal line to see it trashed like that.

And I've already got Filfaeril pegged as a consummate puppet-master... I just haven't quite figured-out who's pulling her strings. Not that Vangy and Azoun are stupid... quite the contrary. This is why Azoun loves her so, and why Vangy is so leery of her.

Anyone else notice the sheer number of non-humans in positions of power posing as humans within Cormyr? Dopplegangers and dragons aside, we even know of at least one were-wyvern.

quote:

A question for Ed on a completely different matter (I think...):
Why did Ao leave the Imaskari barrier intact until the Time of Troubles rather than removing it more immediately after the fall of Imaskar in -2488 DR? I'm sure that Ao had a reason for waiting almost four millennia to remove the barrier, but what was that reason? Or is that another NDA'd topic?
I don't think Ed had a lot to do with the godwall or even Ao, but I could be wrong on both counts. Both of those pieces of lore are TSR/WotC add-ins, IIRC.

On the other hand, how about the simplest answer? If you were put in-charge of a gaggle of uber-powerful preening narcissists with delusions of grandeur and the accompanying maturity of nine-year-olds.... would YOU really want any more getting in?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Sep 2010 23:56:12
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  23:57:59  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Hello again! I was just reading about mage fairs in the 3E FRCS, and about how sorcerers are treated if they're not considered powerful practitioners. It made me start to wonder how multiclassed practitioners of the Art are treated, such as any elven bladesingers that might show up, or even eldritch knights or the like. Also, are warlocks treated with disdain, or are they even invited at all? Thank you for your time, and I hope all is well where you are, Lady THO and Mr. Greenwood.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  02:58:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring Ed's swift beginnings of a reply (he promises a proper one later) to this recent query, from Kajehase: "Is there anywhere (or anywhen) in the Realms where short skirts (ending above the knee) have been in fashion (for either sex)?"
Ed opines:

Yes. "In fashion" is correct, though, in that usage and social acceptability come and go with passing time, each phase lasting one or two decades. Above-the-knee open-bottomed garments have been in fashion for both genders in Unther, for females in the Tashalar and Var the Golden, and for both genders in Estagund. And many other places, for short periods, as well - - but the places I've named have had those fashions return, more than once. The garments go by many names depending on where, when, and their precise style.

So saith Ed. Who promises some proper lore replies as soon as he can (he finished two projects today, and is very busy with some real-world, non-writing matters).
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 18 Sep 2010 02:59:45
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  08:29:20  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
One quick question for the Master of the Realms and his Lady Herald: how does Ed reconcile the changing of rules editions regarding the construction of magical items in the Forgotten Realms? In 1st Edition AD&D it takes a rather powerful wizard to craft a magical item, and he may very well lose a point of constitution as well (and must be 11th level to even scribe a scroll)...but in 3e/3.5e even a 1st level wizard may scribe spell scrolls and a 3rd level wizard may make Wonderous Items. What suggestions are there for bridging this seemingly large chasm of magical item creation from different editions?

I should say I'm not aware of what "edition" Ed Greenwood uses in his games...though I have read that such things as rules are almost unneeded in his game after so long...so I'm not sure that he might even be able to answer this if his own game has no mechanical aspect that controls magic item creation.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000