Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

drkissinger1
Seeker

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  00:42:11  Show Profile  Visit drkissinger1's Homepage Send drkissinger1 a Private Message
I feel quite brazen asking such an enormous question with my first post, but I did a general forum search for "Cyric" and found nothing relevant. If I've overlooked something and the question has already been answered, please let me know and accept my apologies for being such a witless first-timer.

What, precisely, is the nature of Cyric's imprisonment? As he is still listed as a greater power and his clerics (specifically black sun adepts) can continue to draw upon his power, he is clearly not cut off from Faerun entirely. Does he still answer prayers and perform the general duties of a god? If so, is he only unable to manifest a direct avatar outside of the Supreme Throne?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  02:31:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.

drkissinger1, I believe there's a fiction-related NDA in place preventing Ed or anyone else from passing on details of Cyric's imprisonment, but I've sent your query off to him to make sure I'm right and to see how much he can "wiggle" and tell you something.
I do know that Cyric is unable to travel directly/in person to Toril, or manifest any avatar there, but does still answer prayers and confer spells and guiding visions and guiding utterances...but that's all I know. Sorry. We'll have to wait and see.

tears_of_elysium, Ed described Melvaunt in a long-ago "Elminster's Everwinking Eye" column in the RPGA's POLYHEDRON Newszine, but never got the chance to say much in print about the "great gray land of Thar, home of the beast-men" (ogres). Let's see what he'll let slip in the days ahead, in answer to your query (which I've sent on to him).

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

drkissinger1
Seeker

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  02:45:53  Show Profile  Visit drkissinger1's Homepage Send drkissinger1 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.

drkissinger1, I believe there's a fiction-related NDA in place preventing Ed or anyone else from passing on details of Cyric's imprisonment, but I've sent your query off to him to make sure I'm right and to see how much he can "wiggle" and tell you something.
I do know that Cyric is unable to travel directly/in person to Toril, or manifest any avatar there, but does still answer prayers and confer spells and guiding visions and guiding utterances...but that's all I know. Sorry. We'll have to wait and see.

Ah, no need to apologize for the NDA. I was mostly concerned with the questions you just answered. I was trying to figure out how to fit Cyric - probably my favorite Realms deity - into my 1479 campaign while remaining canonical. Many thanks for your reply!

But if Ed is willing to part with more tidbits, I would certainly be unopposed.
Go to Top of Page

tears_of_elysium
Acolyte

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  04:16:22  Show Profile  Visit tears_of_elysium's Homepage  Click to see tears_of_elysium's MSN Messenger address Send tears_of_elysium a Private Message
Thank you very much for the quick response and passing on my query to Ed - would you happen to have any links or anything to the aforementioned Melvaunt article?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  04:30:19  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tears_of_elysium

Thank you very much for the quick response and passing on my query to Ed - would you happen to have any links or anything to the aforementioned Melvaunt article?

As the Lady Hooded One said, the 'Melvaunt' article was featured in a printed source -- POLYHEDRON. The only links we can provide, therefore, would be to second-hand sites offering the issue mentioned here [#78], for individual sale. Like nobleknight.com, for example.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

drkissinger1
Seeker

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  07:13:30  Show Profile  Visit drkissinger1's Homepage Send drkissinger1 a Private Message
There was a good article on Thar itself in Dragon 361, if this hasn't been mentioned yet. I believe Wizards made it freely available: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drrl/20071217a

I actually used the two-headed ogre Zar-Umak as a hook for my campaign in the Moonsea. He turned out to be an Oni mage who built a lair in the ruins of Kur-Tharsu and presented himself to the goblinoids and orcs in the region as a freak ogre/ettin.

Edited by - drkissinger1 on 26 Jul 2010 07:14:31
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  07:26:14  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Ed and THO,

While reading the TSR publication "Dreams of the Red Wizards" I came to a conclusion that the Red Wizards may have been intended by Ed to be a counter to the rising evil of the Zhentarim.

In your own playing, have there been many conflicts (or even outright battles) between the Red Wizards and the Zhentarim? If so, can you tell me who the people of the Heartlands would prefer to be the victor in such conflict?

In essence: which of the devils is considered least evil and dangerous by the folk of the Heartlands...specifically the Dales, Cormyr and Sembia?

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2949 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  09:18:49  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Ed and THO,

In essence: which of the devils is considered least evil and dangerous by the folk of the Heartlands...specifically the Dales, Cormyr and Sembia?

I am certainly not Ed, but my guess, at least where common people are concerned, would be the Zentarim as the greatest evil. The Red Wizards are a scary rumour (like the Drow) seldom met by most people. The Zentharim and their agents are a constant threat that probably gets blamed for a lot of the crimes done by others who keep a lower profile.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

254 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  11:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage  Click to see Eldacar's MSN Messenger address Send Eldacar a Private Message
I'm not sure if this particular question has been asked before (I don't think it has from memory, though it may have been answered as an off-side relation to another question), but anyway. :)

It has to do with the relationships between War Wizards among themselves with regard to titles and positions, as well as with noble sons (and daughters). Even more specifically, what sort of reactions could be expected from the "Head of the War Wizards" (say under the last three - Jorunhast, Vangerdahast and Caladnei, though I'm interested mostly in the last two). Though I have some more miscellaneous queries in there as well. I'll try and split it up into seperate numbered ones, so I don't just ramble on for two or three pages.

1) Vangerdahast has been mentioned (and demonstrated in the Cormyr novel) to hold both the rank of Royal Magician and, I believe, Court Wizard. I seem to recall, however, that the Royal Magician/Court Wizard positions haven't always been held by the same person, and am wondering which would generally take precedence if there do happen to be multiple people involved? Does it depend on the job in question, and if so, are there any particularly stand-out examples? More than just precedence, though, I'd like to know if Ed can say anything about whether War Wizards under the authority of one or the other have held the other post in the past, and what sort of conflicting interests this could create, as well as whether it was a preferred choice to keep the two offices seperate or not before Vangey jumped in and grabbed both of them.

2) Does Caladnei continue to hold both offices, or would she be willing to divest one of them to a particularly upstanding and rising wizard/sorcerer should they come along? Would said individual have to be one of the War Wizards? Would it just be preferred? Would it almost assuredly have to go by Alusair beforehand, with possibly Elminster or other interested Chosen looking in to make sure that the wizard wasn't in fact a deep-cover Zhentarim/Thayan/insert-evil-group-here agent? Would a Harper have a good chance at being placed in that position, or would there be definite attempts to keep "those meddling Harpers" from gaining too much power and influence within the Cormyrean court?

3) If a noble son (or daughter) joins the War Wizards, given that at least some noble families seem to have a somewhat derogatory opinion of the group (possibly/probably born out of fear/dislike for the power that they hold, perhaps - nobody likes the possibility that a War Wizard might sweep into your home on "business of the Realm" to mind-ream you and then walk right out again without so much as a by-your-leave), what sort of fallout could be expected from the noble family in question? Does it mostly depend on the family (i.e. some would be happy for it, some grudgingly accept it, some get tossed out the door) or even specific family members? Would there be similar (or even entirely different!) things happening among the War Wizards with regard to the noble? War Wizards do get mind-reamed by Vangey from time to time (understatement?), after all, and a parent could well be very put out at how "certain individuals with -dahast in their name" take such cavalier attitudes towards THEIR children (and presume to run Cormyr, and stick their nose in political intrigue that said nobles would really rather keep secret, and prevent them from getting just this LITTLE bit of extra power here, and here, and there, and over there, and...).

4) On the "derogatory opinions of War Wizards" part, have there been many occasions where a particular individual deliberately targets and murders War Wizards? How often does that sort of thing happen, and is it quickly stopped? Or can some "serial killers" go for years on end without arousing suspicion in their killings? And is Vangey often under fire as a potential target? He foils a LOT of plans aimed at the Royals, but what about he himself? Does he suffer from as many, or less, or more...?

5) How would the War Wizards (and Jorunhast/Vangey/Caladnei) react to a noble son becoming a Chosen of Mystra? The Lady of Mysteries obviously has had Chosen besides the ones in published Realmslore that are NDA-walled for whatever reason (I seem to remember one Ed reply talking about a Halruaan mage who's a half-golem Chosen?), so I imagine that she could quite possibly have picked some Cormyrean noble son or daughter at some point to be a Chosen. It certainly removes them from the general "sphere of influence/control" that most War Wizards have (and, after all, with all the powers of a Chosen, they'd end up being quite powerful too, and individuals capable of tearing down a castle - should they be of a mind to - always tend to be either allies to be gained, a prize to be won, or an enemy to be "shanked" in a back alley if it happens to be convenient and possible to accomplish :P ).

6) Something a bit lighter and less in detail than the previous four questions here: Vangerdahast does have that "Vangey" nickname. Who gave it to him originally? Does Caladnei have a similar pet name, and have previous Royal Magicians/Court Wizards also had such nicknames?

7) What about Khelben? Does HE have any particular pet names that he would detest being called, but that El (or others) take occasional glee in poking fun at him for? Embarrassing moments, perhaps? :)

(Hmm. I seem to have gone and rambled a bit, and there are quite a few questions there to stick on the pile.)

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  12:57:55  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
5) Half-golem Chosen of Mystra from Halruaa? I'd love to hear more...
6) I think it was one of the daughters of Azoun IV or his wife. Would have to check in Cormyr: A Novel.
7) Khelben has had some such in his childhood, but not later. Many people do not even remember his true identity and birth parents' names.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  16:06:48  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Half-golem what........., where did you get that tidbit from?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  16:52:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Re. this:
(Originally posted by Dalor Darden: "Ed and THO, In essence: which of the devils is considered least evil and dangerous by the folk of the Heartlands...specifically the Dales, Cormyr and Sembia?"
to which Jorkens posted: "I am certainly not Ed, but my guess, at least where common people are concerned, would be the Zentarim as the greatest evil. The Red Wizards are a scary rumour (like the Drow) seldom met by most people. The Zentharim and their agents are a constant threat that probably gets blamed for a lot of the crimes done by others who keep a lower profile.")

Jorkens is dead-on correct. To folk in the locales you mentioned, Dalor, the Red Wizards are a persistent rumour, but the Zhents are a nearby-to-doorstep-to-lurking-spying-among-us, always-active local threat.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  19:20:32  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
THO, in your answer to drkissinger1 above, about Cyric...
When you say "guiding utterances," these are Ed's famous "voices issuing from consecrated altars in a temple, heard by clergy and anyone else worshipping at the time," right?
Not voices out of nowhere, heard anywhere?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  20:02:03  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Would the Zhentarim fear still apply in the Year of Deep Water Drfting?
I did play on the Zhents's reputation in one adventure we wrote (Blades for Daggerdale), but the presence of the Zhents is much diminished now. The drow are not very visible (though a nasty threat easily underestimated).
I am thinking Sembia and Netheril are 'currently' a more visible threat. Then again, opinion on their danger may differ depending on who you ask (one thing I am using in adventures is that some people feel the ones that are most dangerous are not the shades but the ones that are provoking the shades...).
Would this be right, or am I underestimating the influence (and threats) of the Zhents in the 4th ed Dalelands?

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29651 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  00:23:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

7) What about Khelben? Does HE have any particular pet names that he would detest being called, but that El (or others) take occasional glee in poking fun at him for? Embarrassing moments, perhaps? :)

Laeral can get away with calling him Khellie, but she's the only one. He was once called Susan, by someone who quickly transitioned into a smoking crater.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  01:42:56  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

(I seem to remember one Ed reply talking about a Halruaan mage who's a half-golem Chosen?) ...
Hmmm. A quick search of the archives didn't reveal much in the way of this. Are you certain it was posted here at Candlekeep?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29651 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  02:23:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

(I seem to remember one Ed reply talking about a Halruaan mage who's a half-golem Chosen?) ...
Hmmm. A quick search of the archives didn't reveal much in the way of this. Are you certain it was posted here at Candlekeep?

I believe he's thinking of Narandor the Metal Mage, though he's not a half-golem...

quote:
Hi again, all. Tidbit time again, courtesy of Ed!
Back on page 80 of this thread, The Sage asked this (as a followup to a query from Markustay about Ed telling us about any Chosen who might reside outside Faerûn): “Ed, I'd also like to hear more about any Chosen of Mystra who might reside [or, maybe, once did reside] beyond Toril itself, perhaps somewhere else out among the reaches of Realmspace?”
Ed replies:

Some of what I’d like to say is under several NDAs, but I can mention one such Chosen: Narandor the Metal Mage. An embittered, cynical hermit (think Eeyore in the Pooh tales, for disposition), this archwizard of early Halruaa ended up on the wrong end of a spell-duel and got mangled horribly, in magics that kept him alive to feel the pain as a foe’s sequence of minor acid-burst and transforming spells wracked him (envisage, if you will, spells that shield the target from system shock and unconsciousness, and shapeshift them constantly to heal and reform around budding cysts in the interior of which flesh-searing acid is developed; the cysts grow and then burst, showering the surrounding flesh of the victim with agonizing “melting” effects; the cysts have an interior coating that resists and contains the acid until the cyst ruptures).
Debilitated but unable to die, Narandor writhed in helpless pain until some of his former apprentices found him. They tried to quell the spells riding him, but managed only to isolate them in several of his limbs—which they then blasted into oblivion. Narandor lost consciousness, and they debated as to what to do for him; slay him out of mercy, transform him utterly, transfer his sentience into a beast-body, or - - their eventual choice - - replace his missing limbs with flowmetal, something many Halruaans had been working on. This is in effect “living” metal that bonds with an organic body and slowly poisons it, but in the meantime can function as replacement limbs, digits, etc. Flowmetal’s poisoning has never been overcome, and its use was later abandoned as spells were developed that could “infect” it swiftly to cause death of someone bonded to it in a handful of breaths, but Narandor received a right arm and shoulder, a right leg, and a left knee, all of replacement flowmetal - - which he has to this day. He counteracted the poisoning by devising a spell that shifts the chemical balance of his remaining organic body constantly, so that it flows in shape, weeps a pus of ceaseless discharges, and can grow functional fingers, breasts, crude press-lungs, false eyes, etc. as he wills.
Narandor was already a master of skyship design, and he sailed one of his ships high into the sky and tethered it to a magically-levitated chunk of rock (all that remained of a blasted-to-dust “skycastle” fortress, that had once belonged to a Netherese archwizard until several rivals decided to destroy him whilst he was in residence).
Then Narandor used his spells to cover the rock with edible mosses, lichens, and mushrooms, and settled down in isolation to devise new spells. His experiments were long and studded with more failures than successes, but he eventually achieved two things: the ability to ensnare moisture and shield his home from the full heat of the sun, so as to keep that dampness and preserve his plants from baking on the rock - - and the ability to move his home through the skies with fair precision. Whereupon, of course, he set about traveling around collecting other aerial fragments, and “growing” his home into his own private little jungle, plus bits and pieces of several ruined skyships and aerial abodes.
Mystra imbued him with some of her silver fire (with his enthusiastic agreement) not to have him be a meddling “remake the world” Chosen, but to store some of herself where others were unlikely to come into contact with it. For his part, Narandor gained a permanent freedom from the flowmetal poisoning effect (the silver fire offsets it), Mystra’s love, gratitude, and presence whenever he grows lonely and calls for it, and philosophical debates from time to time with Mystra or various of her servitors, who now act as Narandor’s agents in Faerûn, to bring him back items he desires (mainly substances for spell experimentations).
Narandor is now fairly contented, though he retains his doleful manner, and lives his life making various exotic wines, researching spells, and using his magics to observe events on Faerûn far below.
This is all pre-Spellplague, of course; what befalls him when the Weave fails is up to you; I’d suspect his aerial home would be sent on a wild ride, and eventually crash to earth - - but I’d not count Narandor out as conveniently dying in the crash. I’d suspect he’d survive the Spellplague, as a disfigured, part-metal wandering wizard who keeps to himself and stays hidden as much as possible. Extremely bad news for any arrogant young warlock or wizard who encounters and misjudges him, of course. ;}

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, and spinner of masterful little tidbits of additional Realmslore (like this one) whenever we can nudge him into doing so.
And I (she purred) am a nudger from way back . . .

love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  02:27:19  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Heh. And it was a question I'd asked as well. You would've thought that I'd remember that.

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Jul 2010 02:30:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29651 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  05:44:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Heh. And it was a question I'd asked as well. You would've thought that I'd remember that.

Well, when you get old...

Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  05:45:32  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Hi Ed, LHO, and fellow scribes!

Its been awhile, and more than a few cups of hot brew to catch up with everything happening in Candlekeep. I've a question to ask, hopefully its not one already covered. It concerns how two individuals would "pool" their spellcasting ability.

In the first instance, there is a "master-servant" almost parasitic relationship. The wizard uses his apprentice as bolster (or unscrupulously as bulwark) to augment his own abilities or shield himself from arcane backlash when attempting some spell or effect. An example would be in The Temptation of Elminster where an elf wizard uses his apprentice as bolster AND bulwark to investigate the cause of Mystra's Silence. This would NOT be the Thayan version of the circle spell, so how powerful or skillful would a wizard have to be to perform this? What would the benefits be versus the risk? Would it require a formal linking ritual performed beforehand?

In a second similar instance, there is a scene in Waterdeep: City of Splendors where Mirt calls on the aid of Senior Magist Amaundra Logra (sp?) to engage in a spell-meld with Piergeiron's wizard bodyguard to bolster a force shield protecting the group. This is an impromptu, spur-of-the-moment thing, so there wasn't any time for the two to be formally linked (which is the case with Rashemi witches when they cast their cooperative spells). How powerful and skillful would the individuals have to be to pool their abilities like this? Can this pooling be done with instantaneous effects like dispel magic or fireball for greater effect, or only with permanent or semi-permanent effects like a force shield?

Thank you both in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  05:46:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

To THO/Ed:

I searched in several scrolls, but found no answers to my questions. Maybe I am not diligent enough? Anyway, here they are:

1.Is Mystra's Ban permanent, existing even though she's destroyed?

2.Unlike the Weave, the Shadow Weave has no Ban. Does this SOMEHOW make it more powerful than the Weave? I remember in RotA Vala asked Galaeron this, and the latter said not powerful, but different. And I can't help but wonder if he should have said powerful AND different. There's Shade's mythallar to consider, which still works by drawing magic from the SW – which would not have been possible had it drawn magic from the Weave (because, again, of the Ban). And if the answer to my question is yes, will they be of equal strength should Mystra decide to lift the Ban?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  05:58:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Ed/THO,

Another question...=)

Is there something special about Shar? Many deities, evil and good alike, were destroyed and came back to life, Mystra being the best example. Yet Shar remains, despite that there are many evil greater deities (should they put their mind to it, which is very likely, considering Shar's new toy, the SW) who could destroy her and steal her portfolio (and her toy). Maybe Mask is already planning to do that? I just think that Shar has been around for quite awhile, and that perchance it's time to have a Shar 2.0?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  06:21:31  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

1.Is Mystra's Ban permanent, existing even though she's destroyed?
Hmmm. I seem to recall this being "officially" answered *somewhere* -- though maybe not by Ed.

I'll check my own archives.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  06:35:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Thanks in advance, Sage. I remember the Ban discussed in a few scrolls in Gen FR Chat, but I don't recall a mention of it being permanent or otherwise, only speculations.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  06:45:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Ed/THO,

How is it possible that a god (a greater deity, that is) would succumb to a threat of a lich? In Richard's “Undead,” Szass Tam had the guts to threaten Bane that he would use all magic left to him (and I wonder how much, since the SP weakened him considerably) to bind and give the said god utter inconvenience if Bane denied him his request. Bane was even surprised that a mere lich dared threaten him. Yet he granted Tam what he wanted. Did Bane realize the value of Tam's soul that he agreed to the bargain? Even so, is it that to summon and explicitly threaten a lawfully wicked god is a grave transgression that no evil god will leave unpunished? I thought of asking this to Richard, since he's the one who wrote the book (which is excellent, by the way), but since this touches the nature of gods, I thought I better ask you.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000