Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  16:16:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And hi again. Menelvagor, Ed tells me that the particular NDA you mention hasn't moved. However, there's always a possibility that Symrustar has survived, in the manner you hope for.
It's the Realms; MUCH stranger/less likely things have happened.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  16:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

. . . And hi again. Menelvagor, Ed tells me that the particular NDA you mention hasn't moved. However, there's always a possibility that Symrustar has survived, in the manner you hope for.
love,
THO

Oh, then is there a good chance that Braerindra Calauth, the Lady of Moonlight might have survived the Fall also? I always enjoyed reading about her, and the way she was described. Is there any chance that Mr. Greenwood could tell us a little more about her? I'd be interested in finding out more bout her life when she was alive, and how she came to choose to become a baelnorn, as well as how her particular location was selected for her as Watchnorn of the Castle Cormanthor. That's if Mr. Greenwood has the time and is able to say anything, of course.

Speaking of the Fall, did any fey'ri fight in the Army of Darkness, or perhaps even fight on the side of Myth Drannor? As was said earlier, stranger/less likely things have happened.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  16:47:58  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

quote:

love,
THO

Oh, then is there a good chance that Braerindra Calauth, the Lady of Moonlight might have survived the Fall also? I always enjoyed reading about her, and the way she was described. Is there any chance that Mr. Greenwood could tell us a little more about her? I'd be interested in finding out more bout her life when she was alive, and how she came to choose to become a baelnorn, as well as how her particular location was selected for her as Watchnorn of the Castle Cormanthor. That's if Mr. Greenwood has the time and is able to say anything, of course.

Speaking of the Fall, did any fey'ri fight in the Army of Darkness, or perhaps even fight on the side of Myth Drannor? As was said earlier, stranger/less likely things have happened.

To answer with paraphrasing Elimnster's own words...

"Good and Evil aren't always... God and evil, that is"

Which means that in the realms, exceptions occur... usually lone exception, but there could be Fey'ri who are not as evil as the band of them.

And even evil people can commit good deeds, usually for evil reaons. As can good people do evil things for 'good' reasons.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 03 Sep 2010 16:48:57
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  16:56:34  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Foxhelm, Ed will of course have to give you proper answers to those queries, but the "really short versions" are as follows:
1. A "metarules lore" question. Hmmm. We'll see.
2. Aha. Meat and drink to Ed. Expect something, no matter how strict the NDAs.
3. Nope. Flat no; I know there are strict NDA prohibitions here. What you as a loreseeker quite rightly want to know, designers and fiction writers at work in the Realms NEED to be left vague and incomplete. Ed may drop a few hints about a few families, no more.
4. Yes, and yes.

So saith me. We'll see what Ed can provide, in the fulnness of time (he's busy busy busy with official writing and behind-the-scenes help right now).
love,
THO

To go with the second...

Working on a character who is a follower of Finder (I'm a bit obessive with the Asperger's), who is an Eladrin. I am working on the idea of follower of Finder who is more a roving patron of the arts who helps to pay for innovative artist and inventors to get a toe into the scene (As state in Powers and Pantheons under Finder).

The mercantile background and/or the wealth is to help with some of the background for this purpose. Not sure how rewarding these donations could be for him/her. Could vary from a successful accidental porfit line to something more like charity.

Also if Ed is interested...

How likely is an elf/Eladrin raised by a family of a different elven family to gain their natural racial attitides and how much is gained from the parents?

(Kind had a goofy thought as a nick name of Electrum Eladrin for Gold Eladrin raised or growing an attitude of a Moon Eladrin and Vice Versa, sort of a sly joke on the mixing of eladrin culture/society/tradition).

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  17:46:41  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

quote:

love,
THO

To answer with paraphrasing Elimnster's own words...

"Good and Evil aren't always... God and evil, that is"

Which means that in the realms, exceptions occur... usually lone exception, but there could be Fey'ri who are not as evil as the band of them.

And even evil people can commit good deeds, usually for evil reaons. As can good people do evil things for 'good' reasons.

Oh, I know. One of my PCs is actually a fey'ri bladesinger that was converted to Neutral Good through a long series of adventures and a lot of hard work and dedication by a fellow player that really liked my character. I appreciate your insights and thoughts, Foxhelm.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  17:53:24  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well Again All

Another question for the evergrowing pile, but one for curiosity rather than a desperate need to know, so it can stay at the bottom of the pile for awhile

Can Ed share any more clack on the 'Council of Far Travelers'? the wizards who protect Faerun from the dangers of the planes?

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 03 Sep 2010 17:55:33
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  21:19:10  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well Again All

Questions on Cormyr if I may?

Does Cormyr have any local parlance for hello/goodbye etc? (rather than "well met")

A few questions on the Shiedwall Barons in the Storm Horns:
1) What are the typical dwellings for ennobled barons? wooden forts with pallisades, fortified manor houses, ruins of a previous baron patched up? How much stone castle building goes on?

2) If a baron is lucky enough to find a gold/silver/copper/tin/gem mine on his/her land, how do they go about registering the claim? Does the claim stay with them only or can it be passed to an heir? Is there much mineral wealth in western Cormyr?

3) Who decides what a barony will be called? Does the Crown and/or Heralds have a list of 'accepted' barony names or can the newly ennobled Baron Swillbuckets name himself Baron Swillbuckets of Greysword Vale (the small nameless valley he was given by the crown)? If he doesn't survive the first winter would the name be honoured by the Heralds/Crown or can a newly enobled Baron (Aerith Falcondown) rename it to the Barony of Falcondown when it is given to him?

4) Can a succesful baron of good standing and years of succesful building of his barony take over the land of a new baron adjacent to his land who died within his first winter because he/she couldn't protect his land from orc attacks etc? If not what measures might the Crown take? Could the Baron buy the land rather than send his troop in to patrol/take over?

5) Trade: what is available in the region for barons to sell to support themselves and their baronies? Does much trade take place?

6) circa 1360 DR or so: approximately how many Shieldwall Barons are there in western Cormyr and could you supply a few names?

Thanks Ed and THO for your time

Best wishes

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  22:50:46  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message
To the great Ed and THO:

Are there any remarkable differences in the facial features of the ethnic groups of the Realms? Like how you can (usually) tell a Russian from a Swede?

If there are any differences in between the ethnic groups, could I get any details on them. I love little details like these, it helps my players feel like they are really playing in a real world.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  00:03:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank You Ed and THO for that quick response - I had suspected as much (having read many of Ed's unique 'Realms Versions' of earth-like creatures). Just wanted to make sure I wasn't operating from a false asumption when discussing this subject with others.

The 'immersion factor' is paramount in good fiction, even when its just presented across a gaming table between friends.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  03:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Eladrinstar, have you read the Races of Faerun sourcebook? It's pretty clear from the presentation of the human subgroups therein that there are stereotypical physucal differences between them that can be used to identify (and misidentify) them at a glance.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  03:29:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Hi, Damian; good questions. I'll make a start on them, from Ed's notes, and let Ed do a cleanup run, after.

I get the sense from Ed that there are at least two dozen Shieldwall barons as of the 1350s and 1360s. As far as typical dwellings: just about anything, from caves with fortified front entrances through wooden forts with palisades, fortified stone manor houses, and, yes, the "ruins of a previous baron patched up" you mention. Not much stone castle building goes on, but a lot of repair work (winters are hard, so lots of ice "shoving" that forces walls apart occurs) happens with all stone structures.
Any baron fortunate enough to find ore deposits (or an abandoned mine, according to Ed's notes, though I've never heard of one in that area) in "their" territory is entitled to exclusively work it, and keep 80 percent of the proceeds, 20 percent going to the Crown.
There's no "claim," because the Crown owns everything. Yes, there's a LOT of mineral wealth in western Cormyr, but very little of it is easily found/worked (small veins and deposits, buried under a LOT of rock that must be removed, in monster-haunted dangerous territory with severe weather).
The Court heralds (i.e. the Crown) name all baronies; if a newly ennobled Baron is being given a "new" territory rather than taking over an existing barony (the name of which will be retained unless, in rare instances such as a noble family being exiled and stripped of their titles, the Crown doesn't want it to), that baron gets to suggest/cajole the heralds, but the Crown always has the final say, not the baron.

So saith me, operating from Ed's notes. More when I can get to talk to him (he has family visiting right now).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  07:33:38  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Eladrinstar, have you read the Races of Faerun sourcebook? It's pretty clear from the presentation of the human subgroups therein that there are stereotypical physucal differences between them that can be used to identify (and misidentify) them at a glance.
BB

However, these features are not described nearly enough to allow one to adequately visualise these ethnic groups.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  15:50:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone.
Damian, to dispel confusion: Shieldwall barons have territories, usually centered on whatever home they dwell in (which is almost always fortified or at least "defensible"), and these are known as "baronies" out of convenience. They aren't "baronies" (chunks of land) in the European real-world sense, but are really "your part of the frontier to try to hold for Cormyr" if you're a Shieldwall baron. Although there are feuds and stony disagreements, wise barons work with their neighbouring barons for mutual survival.
A handful of Shieldwall baron names from Ed's notes, as of 1362 DR: Jalaskar Mueryn is Baron Snowshar, Bereld Rethammur is Baron Blackmount, and Larandarr Tathond is Baron Hawkril. All prime-of-life, burly warrior sorts installed in their "baronies" by Azoun IV after predecessors (to whom they were not related) fell in battle.

So saith Ed's notes.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  18:26:30  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
But does a son of a Shieldwall Baron have a claim to the land at all? Obviously, Barons are chosen for their ability to defend the land (it's called the Shieldwall!), but if a 'prime-of-life, burly warrior sort' (or even a battle-mage) was a son/daughter of a previous baron, would the Crown be more sympathetic/considerate towards his claim? ANd if any of these Barons have families (probably rare, I know), what would they recieve upon the baron's death?
Also, how many of the Shieldwall Barons are female?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  19:37:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, everyone.
Damian, to dispel confusion: Shieldwall barons have territories, usually centered on whatever home they dwell in (which is almost always fortified or at least "defensible"), and these are known as "baronies" out of convenience. They aren't "baronies" (chunks of land) in the European real-world sense, but are really "your part of the frontier to try to hold for Cormyr" if you're a Shieldwall baron. Although there are feuds and stony disagreements, wise barons work with their neighbouring barons for mutual survival.
A handful of Shieldwall baron names from Ed's notes, as of 1362 DR: Jalaskar Mueryn is Baron Snowshar, Bereld Rethammur is Baron Blackmount, and Larandarr Tathond is Baron Hawkril. All prime-of-life, burly warrior sorts installed in their "baronies" by Azoun IV after predecessors (to whom they were not related) fell in battle.

So saith Ed's notes.
love,
THO

That is so awesome. Thank you THO.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  21:12:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Considering these barons occupy much the same place in lore as 'frontier Forts' (of Kelnore? ), I would assume the decision by the crown would be based more upon an aspirant's ability to defend Cormyr's border adequately, unlike interior titles (and lands) that could be more 'casually' doled-out (for political favors and what-not).

What this means is that IF a Baron wanted his son (OR daughter - this is the Realms) to 'inherit' his parcel of land, he would have to make damn sure his progeny was ready to uphold its requirements, and be well-trained in several areas. In that case, if the child is then considered a worthy successor, he/she would move to the forefront of the list.

Bare-in-mind that this is no light matter, and some of these holds are held in a state of constant readiness - many barons mat NOT want their children to hold this office. They may have chosen this in order to win favor with the crown, in hopes of a more permanent title and land grant on the interior for their heirs.

These are also just the sort of positions and titles held by adventurers that have 'carved-out' their own niche on Cormyr's frontier. These are not your typical slothful nobles, but rather rugged warriors and frontiersmen all. It is canon that Cormyr operates in just this fashion - using adventurers to expand its marches - so as not to overly jeapardize its own soldiers and nobility while still remaining a growing and prosperous power.

This is why Cormyr embraces adventurers -something most nations frown upon as 'trouble makers' - and gives-out those adventuring charters. You get them out of the interior where they could cause problems, and have them do your dirty work for you.

Sorry for giving my own answer - Cormyr has recently become my main area of interest - any corrections or editions would be most welcome and appreciated, Ed and THO.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Sep 2010 21:12:49
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  00:09:54  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Many thanks THO for your quick response and thanks to Brian and Mark for futher thoughts and clarification

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  17:11:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Right on, Markustay: Ed and I agree with all of your comments re. the Shieldwall barons. You've "got it" precisely.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  20:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed. I've been rereading Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, which in my opinion is one of the best products in the entire 2e line. How you pulled that all together is beyond me.

I have two questions: first, can you explain a bit how you and Eric wrote it? How much you already had worked out, how much you needed to create new, how long you had to write, what you used for research, that sort of thing. And second, one of my favorite bits is the raw materials, and especially the metals. Are there any other exotic metals that you can share that didn't make it into All Things Magical?

Thanks, as always.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  22:41:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Hoondatha. Ed will of course have to be the source of a really definitive reply about Volo's Magical, but as I recall all that he's said about it, down the years: Eric Boyd did the magic items (quite a few of them updatings/fleshings out/adaptations of originals by Ed and a few other writers), with two exceptions: a "light edit" of one item by Ed and a wholly original item added by Ed. The rest of the book (gems, metals, woods, etc.) was Ed, either updating/adapting original lore that had appeared in earlier sourcebooks, DRAGON, or yet unpublished at the time . . . and the spells for the various steps in crafting magic items were all new, and Ed hoped to have more wordcount and opportunity to outline a "special" sort of D&D campaign for one-on-one (one player, one DM) or small group (4 players at most, one DM) play: intense roleplaying with wizard PCs, crafting items and doing spell research and making livings (and going adventuring) thereby. Want more politics? Add Red Wizards/Zhents/War Wizards/other cabals and secret societies of mages to the local setting for play...
Ed tried it out in a mini-campaign, with these results: those players who wanted to act/intensively roleplay, even novices to the game, LOVED it. Some "less violent" veteran players loved it. The rest wanted more character interaction and a lot more fighting.
Count me among the "loved it" group. In the same way that the 3e GHOSTWALK tome presented an alternative way of playing, this would have, too.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  22:43:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, a postscript, Hoondatha: there were six or seven exotic metals that never made it into Volo's Magical for wordcount/space reasons, but we'll have to wait for Ed to provide details, if he's not NDA-prevented from doing so.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  23:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Thanks, THO. I'm looking forward eagerly to whatever Ed can share, especially about that alternate type of game!

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  16:27:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Back in May of this year (Page 42 of this thread) Jorkens asked, in part: “In Adjatha "the Drinker.": Nesker of Mulmaster, sorcerer king, ruled in the early years of the 1300's. Would it be possible to get some information on this ruler and the older Mulmaster rulers in general?”

Ed dropped me a note to say he’s still hunting (amid all of his other projects, of course) for his circa-1982 notes on this, but he has found a synopsis paragraph he wrote for a TSR designer around 1988, which reads in part:

. . . This merchant council was riven by corruption and feuding, and was easily overthrown (its members butchered) by the ruthless mercenary Aurbraunt, who’d recently settled in the city. Intending to enrich himself by providing armed escorts for mining caravans coming south to the Moonsea in return for a share of their takings, Aurbraunt became a bold warlord whose increasing reach angered other inhabitants of the region. However, before they could slay him, a visiting merchant, the soft-spoken but utterly ruthless Rurlyskam “the Calishite,” took care of that murder for them, taking over as ruler of Mulmaster for less than a season before he was magically controlled, and then destroyed, by the sorcerer Nesker, who proclaimed himself “king” of the city, and began a long and brutal rule by rounding up and slaughtering anyone within his reach who had any aptitude for the Art at all.

So saith Ed. Who will reveal more when he can.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  17:45:00  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
quote:
"...rounding up and slaughtering anyone within his reach who had any aptitude for the Art at all."

Now if that isn't the material component for a Summon Wrathful Mystra's Chosen spell, I don't know what is...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  19:06:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Something that just popped into my head today, strangely while thinking about a completely unrelated topic (and thread) -

What I was thinking about was 'Noble Azoun', or rather, how he is the first leader that comes to mind when one pictures 'True Nobility' in the Realms. And yet... he had his faults...

This is related to our earlier discussion about 'deeper layers' - was Azoun 'encouraged' to be a womanizer? And if so, are all Obarskyrs?

So that the War Wizards have a 'fail-safe' mechanism, in case they get another imbecile or maniac on the throne. No true claimants, that would 'muddy the succession', but rather just enough 'folk of the blood' about, just in case....

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Sep 2010 19:08:26
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  23:15:27  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This is related to our earlier discussion about 'deeper layers' - was Azoun 'encouraged' to be a womanizer? And if so, are all Obarskyrs?

Meh. Who needs encouragement?
quote:

So that the War Wizards have a 'fail-safe' mechanism, in case they get another imbecile or maniac on the throne. No true claimants, that would 'muddy the succession', but rather just enough 'folk of the blood' about, just in case....

I would think that it's probably not the War Wizards as an organisation, but rather Vangerdahast. Now, if I recall correctly, Vangy has ways of keeping the Royals' fertility under control (or, if he does not dare intervene directly on the Royals, he probably has less scruples when it comes to the objects of their affection). That would mean that, if he did not actively encourage Azoun, at the very least he tolerated it, which might be the same thing.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  23:59:06  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Apologies if this question seem a bit ...trivial.

Is there anywhere (or anywhen) in the Realms where short skirts (ending above the knee) have been in fashion (for either sex)?

Based on the incantatrix illustration in the PGtF and an old Dragon article illo we know they exist, but at least one of those is of an adventurer, and we all know they don't necessarily care about conventions, and the other is of a vampire, and so doesn't count either.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  01:03:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Something that just popped into my head today, strangely while thinking about a completely unrelated topic (and thread) -

What I was thinking about was 'Noble Azoun', or rather, how he is the first leader that comes to mind when one pictures 'True Nobility' in the Realms. And yet... he had his faults...

I like this theory; it's one I thought of a while back and just decided to "go with" so I never really thought to ask regarding its accuracy; Ed, consider Mark's question/speculation seconded.

By way of that discussion about 'deeper layers'... do you have any more hypotheses for us, Mark? I'm now (as of last night) reading Elminster Must Die (my local library finally got a copy, but both of its copies of A Feast For Crows have gone AWOL, so I need to find another one somewhere), and I have tomorrow off work, so I'll likely have some further thoughts on the Elminster-Cormyr connection in a few days.

One more question (or seconding of a recent question) for you, Ed... someone (I don't recall who, sorry) recently asked about wildlife and Earth-Toril portals in the context of common and Toril-only wildlife. I'm interested in some specifics on Toril-only species, particularly those predatory and scavenger avian varieties that were mentioned (and other animals of the same ecological niche).

Many thanks again, Ed and THO, for everything!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  01:57:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Kajehase, there are no trivial questions. (Or they all are, ultimately.) Yes, there are definitely above-the-knee fashions in various locales in the Realms (bear in mind that much published Realmslore has concerned colder northerly regions, where more covering would tend to be favoured), but I'll have to get Ed to give you specifics.

Markustay, you are ON to something, and Thauramarth is correct: Azoun WAS encouraged to be a womanizer, by Vangey (not that other War Wizards haven't toyed with the idea regarding other Obarskyrs, in the past [[yes, this directly according to Ed, not me speculating]]), in the wake of their son's (firstborn's) death, as a way of bringing some male "blood offspring" into being, well removed in strength of throne-claim from Azoun and Fee's legitimate children, but "in case" (for one thing, to have "another string to the bow" if the daughters turned out to be weak of character, and unscrupulous nobles thought of marrying them to a dominating male).
Vangey came to see this as less necessary when the daughters turned out to be strong, and Alusair almost "another Azoun" with her own way of bonding with and inculcating loyalty in the next generation of male nobles.
Then, later, Vangey saw it as more necessary again, after - - in the scene in CORMYR: A NOVEL - - the "disaster" was discovered in the royal vault. It should be noted that this was a tendency in Azoun that Vangey, as the young Azoun's tutor and companion (again, see CORMYR: A NOVEL) had become well aware of, not something Vangey had to force or magically influence Azoun into.
There are of course obvious drawbacks to Azoun womanizing with nobility (personal hatreds of him on the part of some noble husbands), but Vangey weighed two things: the personal popularity of Azoun among many male nobles (and commoners), both as a war leader and ruler, and as a likeable guy - - and the fact that the Crown's relationship with certain nobles couldn't get any worse; they are already behaving like active, if sly rather than open, traitors, so . . .
And of course this cut both ways: there were families who sought to increase their prestige, or chances at getting Court positions or contracts, or just their profile locally or among War Wizards or the Purple Dragons or at Court, by "being close with the King" and ending up with "a get of Azoun's" in their families. There were also some women who wanted this on their own, family notwithstanding. Plus the "old battle companions" of Azoun, like Tessaril Winter, whom he sought out as friends and comforting bedmates rather than as mothers for his children (but whom he'd be delighted that they were having his children IF they wanted to).
This happens to be something Ed and I (and a few others) have discussed extensively, if privately, down the years, so what I say here isn't me inventing, it's Ed's take on this. There are some other "open, waiting secrets" of the Realms like this that we don't volunteer - - but we WILL confirm, if a scribe "tumbles to them."
Wheee!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  02:00:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
One postscript, upon reflection: Azoun was/is no dunderhead or easily-manipulated dupe, and neither is Filfaeril. It's important not to overemphasize "Vangey as Machiavelli" here, and to avoid seeing Azoun or his queen as weak, enspelled, or oblivious. They, too, play the game of "balancing bastards and heirs" off against each other, for the good of the realm (i.e. to keep the throne strong and the Obarskyr bloodlines very much in existence, but also to prevent civil war/their own assassinations/overmuch feuding amongst the nobles).
Right. My work here is done. For a few breaths.
More lore soon,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000