Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2010 :  02:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
While Ed will likely have something to add, I'll note that the 'Tressym' entry in Haunted Halls of Eveningstar mentions that tressym are, on occasion, kept as "loose" pets -- villagers do in fact tend toward feeding them, and sometimes seek to prevent much of the damage they cause to the local surroundings.

Maybe an alternative source for "free" pet tressym in your game?

True, but I doubt my party will be heading that way any time soon.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2010 :  18:16:58  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
To Ed,

Great story in Anthology of Undead book, several NDA's finally lifted..............sadly, of course it raises a slew of other questions but very touching and sad tale.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2010 :  20:27:57  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Ok, I do have a few questions after rereading, is the "field of teleportation blocking" a spell made permanant or a variation of one that allows him to teleport but not others, or was it a magic item?

The "dance its rage through his head" I'm thinking is removing spells he knew by heart, yes? Or is it just removing spells of particular school?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  08:05:37  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
Where can I find a complete list of all of Ed's Realms books, short stories, magazine/web articles in chronological order? Oh yeah, and internet lore posts?

Someone over on the RAS Forums wants to get into Ed's books from the beginning, and they thought I knew the chronology of his works like I do with RAS's. I don't.

I see the wikipedia article on Ed.

WOTC's site is nigh impossible to navigate, though.

Thanks in advance.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  09:44:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Where can I find a complete list of all of Ed's Realms books, short stories, magazine/web articles in chronological order? Oh yeah, and internet lore posts?
Well, I don't think an actual listing exists -- at least, not in any chronological order.

However, you can find all the details for all Ed's published novels over at o-love.net:-
quote:
Greenwood, Ed: All Shadows Fled
Greenwood, Ed: The Best of the Realms, Book II
Greenwood, Ed: Cloak of Shadows
Greenwood, Ed & Cunningham, Elaine: City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeep
Greenwood, Ed & Grubb, Jeff: Cormyr: A Novel
Greenwood, Ed & Denning, Troy: Death of the Dragon
Greenwood, Ed & King, J. Robert: Diamond, The
Greenwood, Ed: Elminster's Daughter
Greenwood, Ed: Elminster in Hell
Greenwood, Ed: Elminster in Myth Drannor
Greenwood, Ed: Hand of Fire
Greenwood, Ed: Elminster Must Die!
Greenwood, Ed: Making of a Mage, The
Greenwood, Ed: Mercenaries, The
Greenwood, Ed: Shadows of Doom
Greenwood, Ed: Silverfall: Stories of the Seven Sisters
Greenwood, Ed: Spellfire
Greenwood, Ed: Stormlight
Greenwood, Ed: Sword never sleeps, The
Greenwood, Ed: Swords of Dragonfire
Greenwood, Ed: Swords of Eveningstar
Greenwood, Ed: Temptation of Elminster, The
All his published DRAGON works can be gleaned from this listing on the DragonDex:- http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/articles-author.html#g

[Just scroll down to Greenwood]

Chronological listings for all his Candlekeep posts are stored via the "So Saith Ed" archive [see sig] with 'contents' pages which list the dates of individual posts made by Ed since 2004.

I can't recall any listings for any of Ed's DUNGEON works or those for POLYHEDRON and other various TSR/WotC publications. I've got an incomplete listing of Ed's online FR material floating around here somewhere. I'll dig that out for you too.

As for listing them all chronologically, I think the only person who could actually complete such a task to any satisfying degree would be Ed, or the Lady Hooded One herself, perhaps.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  15:59:17  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Don't forget the issue of GAMEPLAY magazine that contained Ed's "Heralds, All Bright And Shining" Realms article, or the issue of ANOTHER WORLD (I think that's the title) that contained his discussion of Anchorome...or for that matter the Ed short stories in the computer games manuals (one of which has never been reprinted elsewhere, because Broderbund/The Learning Company [[again, I THINK this is the company involved]] wouldn't agree to it).
BEAST, you've set yourself a nigh-impossible task. The man's a creative Niagara Falls.
There are all the now-hidden or taken down early WotC website articles, Ed's answers at loremaster.org, Realms-related pieces on several blogs and online journals (owned by others), handouts from long-ago GenCons (sometimes complete "dungeon" adventures that Ed DM'd!). And then there's the stuff WotC's sitting on, that could pop up online at any time and in any form, perhaps unheralded.
I doubt even Ed keeps track of all of them. After all, he knows the lore.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  16:01:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Very true.
A little bird (okay, a stout one with a beard and twinkling eyes) told me to watch for a twelve-part "Ed interview" appearance, very soon, on the blog of former TSR editor and current WotC novelist J. Robert King. (Now I just have to find that blog...)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  16:03:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
createvmind, I seem to recall the field you refer to, in Ed's REALMS OF THE DEAD tale, is a Dimensional Anchor or variant thereof.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  16:04:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Very true.
A little bird (okay, a stout one with a beard and twinkling eyes) told me to watch for a twelve-part "Ed interview" appearance, very soon, on the blog of former TSR editor and current WotC novelist J. Robert King. (Now I just have to find that blog...)
love,
THO

Here it is, fair lady!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  16:09:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thank you, kind sir! Allow me to thank you properly, when we meet in person...purrr...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  16:22:03  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Right! Getting in my car now. Meet ya in Florida where it's nice and warm?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  17:39:15  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks lady, I figured as much, variant, that is.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  02:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
So the header's up at Rob King's blog: starting Feburary 1st, there will be "Twelve Days of Greenwood," so presumably twelve answers (or more, if there's more than one a day) from Ed on questions Rob sent him.
Should be interesting, even if some of them turn out to be familiar ground. Ed's always entertaining, insightful, and candid.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  03:51:26  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

So the header's up at Rob King's blog: starting Feburary 1st, there will be "Twelve Days of Greenwood," so presumably twelve answers (or more, if there's more than one a day) from Ed on questions Rob sent him.
Should be interesting, even if some of them turn out to be familiar ground. Ed's always entertaining, insightful, and candid.

Good stuff.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  08:46:16  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
Thank ye kindly, Sage. O-Love's list should work.

And I fully realize that listing all of Ed's articles and posts was a silly request. Hence the tonguey smiley...

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  13:38:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Regarding a chronology of Ed's work:

IMO, Ed needs a website.

Yes, I do realize that Ed is already busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest. But I am sure there are competent, creative people who would happily create a website for him. Bob Salvatore's very professional-looking site is entirely fan-created and -maintained.

I've tried to convince Ed of this, but perhaps THO would have better success? Or at the very least, more interesting tactics? ;)

When this thought hit me, I did a quick search on "edgreenwood.com" and found the domain name already in use. That is unfortunate, since "author's name dot com" is fairly standard for writer's websites. "elminster.com" is also taken--although since Ed also writes outside of the Realms, this wouldn't be his best bet.

(A suggestion to aspiring writers: reserve your name (or your intended pen name) as a domain, even if you don't have a website and don't intend to have one for a while.)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  15:02:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Regarding a chronology of Ed's work:

IMO, Ed needs a website.

Yes, I do realize that Ed is already busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest. But I am sure there are competent, creative people who would happily create a website for him. Bob Salvatore's very professional-looking site is entirely fan-created and -maintained.

I've tried to convince Ed of this, but perhaps THO would have better success? Or at the very least, more interesting tactics? ;)

I second, third and forth this suggestion!

How about edofthegreenwood.com?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 27 Jan 2010 15:03:49
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  15:12:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

And I fully realize that listing all of Ed's articles and posts was a silly request. Hence the tonguey smiley...
Well, even in jest, I noted that 'tables of contents' are available for most of the PDF/HTML downloads of the "So Saith Ed" archives. So that's a start. Though they've not been updated in a while, simply because Alaundo hasn't had the time to upload both them, and the rest of the '09 reply files, to Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

underthumb
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  22:53:13  Show Profile Send underthumb a Private Message
Greetings.

I have a question about Thay, specifically Bezantur, circa ~1370. Other than the red wizards, can you give some examples of what the clothing and day-to-day implements (e.g., pottery and crafts) might look like in such a place? Also, is there any real-world nation(s)/society(s) whose cultural output in crafts and clothing is comparable to the styles of Thay?

I want to give my PCs a really good description of what it feels like to visit Thay, coming from a lifetime on the Sword Coast. I understand that Thay has red wizards, slave markets, gnolls, etc. but I really want to sell them on the idea that they're seeing a bunch of entirely different cultures.

Edited by - underthumb on 27 Jan 2010 22:55:46
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  22:55:57  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

I never read that book personally. Is Sarintha Thann one of Danilo's sisters, or another relation to him?

Hmmm. I don't recall seeing Sarintha referenced on Eric Boyd's "Thann family tree."

Mayhap she was a new creation for the novel? I can't recall at the moment.

Hmm... the Sage is teasing my genealogy obsession again. I've been absent from the 'Keep these many weeks on a singularly massive real-world genealogy project that I plan to use for purposes both fictional (alternative history, 16th-18th century) and Realmsian (using search & replace to insert campaign-related names in place of the real-world names). Anyway, that's all I'm saying at the moment; there is far, far more to be done. In any event, it's a good project to distract me from the following...

As I wait patiently (only because I have a big project to distract me) for the Cormyr lineage, I'll ask about the availability of the above-mentioned Thann family tree... or is it under NDA as well? I may have asked about it (and the Wands genealogy, if any such exists) before... so if I have, THO, I'm a naughty boy for repeating my questions, so please spank me.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  00:06:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm going to add still more queries to my own growing queue... But hopefully THO can answer these, or Ed can without having to reach for his notes.

I'm pondering adjectives pertaining to those from Evermeet (and obviously not "elven" ). I found this bit:

quote:
They are "Everaer." This means "elves born on Evermeet who choose to remain there" (not counting brief forays to the mainland), NOT "anyone who visits Evermeet from time to time." (So Florin and Dove weren't "Everaer.")

So what about elves born on or living on Evermeet, but who don't necessarily fit the Everaer definition? Or what about things like exports or architecture? I thought of the word "Evermar", but I dunno if that's the right word or not...

Anyway, just thought I'd add that to my list of questions. As always, thanks!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  00:17:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

As I wait patiently (only because I have a big project to distract me) for the Cormyr lineage, I'll ask about the availability of the above-mentioned Thann family tree... or is it under NDA as well?
Eric Boyd actually already plotted out the majority of the Thann family tree. See here:- http://web.archive.org/web/20010528185438/http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/eb-thann.htm

[Note: This is a link using the web's 'Wayback Machine.' So you'll need to cut and paste the link above into your browser address bar]

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  08:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Ed and/or THO,

Previously (March 24, 2009), I asked:
quote:
The word "tumble" (in the "sexual intercourse" sense) has always struck me as cleverly evocative of the act. What are its different meanings in the Realms, origins and who would use it in what company and under what circumstances?

Please consider this question sufficiently answered and have Ed (or yourself) remove it from the pile of questions he still has to get to. I know it's but a thin sheaf, but perhaps might help prevent the collapse of that pile one day.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  15:20:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thank you, Kyrene. Every little bit helps.
Ed is still writing away mightily on a whole raft of projects, many of them Realms-related. Of course, he can't reveal any specifics, but he does want you all to know that he hasn't lost or forgotten a single lore-query from scribes here at the Keep, and fully intends to answer all he can, as soon as he can. (Local weather where Ed resides is vicious right now, and co-workers at the library keep falling sick, and he keeps getting called in to cover their shifts, slowing his writing. However, he wants everyone to know that a certain Realms novel is "done enough" that it should appear in August, regardless.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  15:49:42  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Thank you, Kyrene. Every little bit helps.
Ed is still writing away mightily on a whole raft of projects, many of them Realms-related. Of course, he can't reveal any specifics, but he does want you all to know that he hasn't lost or forgotten a single lore-query from scribes here at the Keep, and fully intends to answer all he can, as soon as he can. (Local weather where Ed resides is vicious right now, and co-workers at the library keep falling sick, and he keeps getting called in to cover their shifts, slowing his writing. However, he wants everyone to know that a certain Realms novel is "done enough" that it should appear in August, regardless.)
love to all,
THO

Good news indeed!

And I was looking forward to Ed tackling the Tumbling questions.....not to mention hoping that your Lovelyness would share your take on it as well(and I sure many other scribes were as well....)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 28 Jan 2010 15:50:29
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  22:39:31  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
When is the last Falconfar novel due to be released?

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  00:01:14  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

When is the last Falconfar novel due to be released?

According to the Simon & Schuster and Solaris Books pages, February 23, at least in North America.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  04:41:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Thanks.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  05:21:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Yet another question... In the real world, if a year includes February 29th, it's a Leap Year. Is there any special designation for years that include Shieldmeet?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  06:06:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yet another question... In the real world, if a year includes February 29th, it's a Leap Year. Is there any special designation for years that include Shieldmeet?

I think Ed's covered this one before. While I was collating some past replies over the weekend, I came across something like this.

I'll have to check.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000