Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  15:02:14  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
Re. this: "Perhaps it was not Amedahast that learned from Elminster, but the other way round."
It seems weird to me that Elminster (who by then [later than 376 DR] had been in Myth Drannor [reborn in 261 DR], and met Alea Dahast herself) would have that much to learn from Amedahast. Yet our Lady says it is true. I think it was more of a partnership. Amedahast taught El spells of Baerauble from Netheril, and he taught her spells from Myth Drannor.
In any case, it is probable that Elminster had a hand in helping Amedahast, and probably helped her found the War Wizards. He obviously cared for her and mourned her.
Amedahast was raised and studied in Myth Drannor before her tenure under Baerauble, so it's not really necessary that she have learned its spells from Elminster.

What I'm suggesting isn't that El learned magical abilities or secrets from Amedahast (he is among the most talented spellcasters of his or any generation, after all), but that he may have adopted her tactics and observed her behavior. Although Baerauble was the first of Cormyr's high mages, and its second longest-serving (Thanderahast beats him by a couple of years), Amedahast was by far the most magically talented and far-sighted (although the latter, it could be said, is a title worthy of Vangerdahast, too). It was she who created the War Wizards--yes, even before the Harpers--and the meddling of great mages in Cormyr owes its tradition to her as much as anyone else.

A powerful young Chosen of Mystra, capable in spells but still looking to find a place and a method in the world beyond hurling fireballs at fell villains, could learn much from a woman like that, even one that is younger than himself...
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5041 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  15:52:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring the words of Ed of the Greenwood, in response to two matters:

Hi, Kajehase. The response Jorkens gave to you applies also to Canada and the United States, as far as I call tell from my library contacts. Waning in popularity from twenty years back, but still well known with teachers, educators, and bookish parents, and still in print and readily available in the collections of most libraries.

Longtime Lurker, you are DEAD-ON CORRECT in your post about Elminster. That's exactly where his rank comes from. In American terms, he's somewhat like a Secret Service man: although no one amongst the general population or local police may know his face or name, he has the authority to give orders - - but may run into resistance from those who dispute his authority because they just don't know (or accept) what he is. The average Cormyrean has no idea that the legendary Elminster has any formal or legal connection to Cormyr, and would be slow to believe it.

Once again, I agree with Garen Thal's description of what El and Amedahast learned from each other, and the nature of their working relationship. So consider that confirmed, scribes.

I'm not going to say anything more on Elminster and Cormyr just yet; I'm waiting to see Markustay's "deeper layer."
When the truth is eventually revealed, most of you probably won't be all that surprised (considering Mystra's aims and the duties most of her Chosen are assigned). Anyone who's entertaining images of Elminster busily and literally fathering scores and scores of "daughters" is probably on the wrong track . . . ;}

So saith Ed. Who has revealed more unto me, and I'm quite happy right now as a result.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2394 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  16:11:26  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Anyone who's entertaining images of Elminster busily and literally fathering scores and scores of "daughters" is probably on the wrong track . . . ;}

Not that Elminster would likely complain all that much if Mystra had given him such a duty...

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  16:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal:
It was she who created the War Wizards--yes, even before the Harpers

I find that hard to accept. As far as I know, The Harpers were founded in the Year of Freedom's Friends (324 DR) which is more than 50 years before Amedahast even came to Cormyr (c. 376 DR) and a century before Cormyr was stable enough just to start founding the War Wizards (432 DR - Duar's victory over Dheolur).
I also do not find this arguement convincing:
quote:
Amedahast was raised and studied in Myth Drannor before her tenure under Baerauble, so it's not really necessary that she have learned its spells from Elminster.

Not that I believe it's untrue, but it's mentioned that she was young when she came to Cormyr. And since she was fully human, this is human young, of course - which probably means no older than 25 at the most. I also get the impression that she never met most of her elven kin - certainly not the greater ones such as Alea - it's mentioned that she never heard the story of Alea and Baerauble meeting. So I do think El would have had much to teach her.
I have to agree with you about her talents, ability and far-sightedness, though. There is no doubt there.

And I actually have a question: Do the High Mages of Cormyr and the rulers know what truly happened in Soldier's Green? It came to my notice while checking info about Amedahast. She asks Azoun (I) about it, and he tells her it was the site of an old settlement wiped out by goblins/orcs. When she tells Baerauble this and that Keolan Dracohorn killed a blue dragon there, he corrects her regarding Keolan, saying that he found the corpse and claimed he killed it and concluding with "Not everything that is claimed as history is true. Remember that." I felt it was very tongue-in-cheek, considering he was the one who invented the Orc/goblin story about the Bleth settlement.
So did Baerauble later reveal the truth to Amedahast? Did she find it out by herself? Or are they all still under the illusion that the Bleth massacre was done by goblins/orcs?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 14 Jul 2010 16:26:57
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  17:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:

quote:
It was she who created the War Wizards--yes, even before the Harpers

I find that hard to accept. As far as I know, The Harpers were founded in the Year of Freedom's Friends (324 DR) which is more than 50 years before Amedahast even came to Cormyr (c. 376 DR) and a century before Cormyr was stable enough just to start founding the War Wizards (432 DR - Duar's victory over Dheolur)
The Harpers at Twilight met in 324DR. The modern Harpers weren't formed until 720DR. When I talk about the "Harpers" in this context, I'm talking about the Faern-spanning organization of meddlers that we all know and love, the light to the dark of the Zhentarim, and all that, not the smaller group that preceded them.

quote:
I also do not find this arguement convincing:
quote:

Not that I believe it's untrue, but it's mentioned that she was young when she came to Cormyr. And since she was fully human, this is human young, of course - which probably means no older than 25 at the most. I also get the impression that she never met most of her elven kin - certainly not the greater ones such as Alea - it's mentioned that she never heard the story of Alea and Baerauble meeting. So I do think El would have had much to teach her.
Amedahast was rather young when she came to Cormyr, but I'm not entirely sure what gives you the impression that she was "fully human." In game terms, she's certainly human, but she absolutely has elven blood. And, as has been shown over and over in the various sources, aging works differently for the -dahast mages than it does for others.

I won't comment on whether or not Amedahast ever met Alea (because it's a story question too rich to spoil), but this young woman was a descendant of at least one wizard that helped raise the mythal over Cormanthor (and who was known as the High Lady of Art), and another who was so respected by the elven court that he was given wardship over Cormyr alongside Faerlthann. She was tutored in magic from a very young age.

As for the meeting of Alea and Baerauble (depicted in Cormyr: A Novel), it is not a happy story. At its core, an erudite mage is captured by savage humans, who are slain by grieving, borderline genocidal elves in retaliation for the killing of their own people. It's not like grandma and grandpa meeting at a dance and getting married three weeks later. There's nothing romantic about it.

quote:
And I actually have a question: Do the High Mages of Cormyr and the rulers know what truly happened in Soldier's Green? It came to my notice while checking info about Amedahast. She asks Azoun (I) about it, and he tells her it was the site of an old settlement wiped out by goblins/orcs. When she tells Baerauble this and that Keolan Dracohorn killed a blue dragon there, he corrects her regarding Keolan, saying that he found the corpse and claimed he killed it and concluding with "Not everything that is claimed as history is true. Remember that." I felt it was very tongue-in-cheek, considering he was the one who invented the Orc/goblin story about the Bleth settlement.
So did Baerauble later reveal the truth to Amedahast? Did she find it out by herself? Or are they all still under the illusion that the Bleth massacre was done by goblins/orcs?
Amedahast came to Cormyr knowing very little of the Forest Kingdom's history and lore--and certainly less of its legends. Recall the catechism of rulers that she endured from Baerauble when we first meet her in Cormyr: A Novel; even the most rudimentary of facts are still being drilled into her. Other, more weighty matters are learned later.

Crowned heads and Royal Magicians in Cormyr learn about certain things (such as the events on Solider's/Jester's Green--both those involving Keolan Dracohorn and the Bleth massacre, as well as Ander Obarskyr's folly and countless other things) once their succession is assured and they've been judged capable of handling the knowledge and the wisdom it's meant to convey.

So yes, Baerauble told her about these and many other things... later.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14037 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  18:37:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
It doesn't matter if Amedehast learned from El, or he from she, and I suspect it was more of a 'mutual giving' and leave it at that.

The fact is, if you think about who Elminster is, and was, then there is something that he lost long ago, something he could never replace.

But.... Cormyr is as close as he will ever come. I had always associated Elminster with The Dales, but the realization I just came to was that that really hasn't been his 'main area' of interest.

And as for the 'Court Rank', both Elminster and Khelben are considered 'War Wizards' (that IS in a novel, and when I asked Ed, he said something to the effect that yes, not all war wizards, or those accorded that rank, live within Cormyr). What I get from that is that people who are especially useful to the Kingdom are occasionally granted a rank similar to 'War Wizard at-large'. In another novel it is clearly shown that there are magical secrets of Obarskyr castle that Khelben knows, that Vangerdehast isn't privy to. I would suspect there are others beside Khelben and Elminster accorded that rank that have yet to be revealed.

Also, from that novel and several others (most notably Cormyr: A Novel), the Mage Royal is NOT loyal to the royal line first, he/she is Loyal to Cormyr first, and the Royals second. Elminster even brings-up the 'what if?' scenario of an obarskyr becoming a threat to the realm.

I also noticed that Ed uses the words 'Harper' and 'High Knight' interchangeably throughout the novel, something I either never noticed before (unlikely), or something just revealed. I knew/suspected some were Harpers, but all? Also note that in times past the Harpers acted discreetly within Cormyr's borders, but they are acting quite openly now that the king is dead, and in fact, appear to be taking commands from the Mage Royal, Alusair, and Filfaeril!

And then there's the 'Royal Curse'..... the only person I know of that has ever modified a bloodline magically is a Magister of Mystra.

Anyhow, the point I am trying to make is that the Chosen, in their function of promoting magic, must also create 'points of light' - places where folks can be free from tyranny that oppreses magical studies. Some haven't 'matured' enough to really do that (Storm and Dove, although I would say Storm's 'assignment' is The Dales), but the others - Cormyr, Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Aglarond, the Promenade. For all we know Mystra may have had plans in that regard for Sammaster.

So, the 'deeper layer' I alluded to was how Mystra chooses her Chosen; Elminster was chosen because of what happened in Athalanter. Unless you have seen what it is like to live in a place where magic is denied some, but not others, then you cannot really ever become 'its champion'. Same with khelben - he was denied his Elven heritage. The Simbul has to stare across the border at Thay every day.

And the reason why Mystra needs people to create the 'Points of light' is simple - to hold back the darkness.

The truth is, The War of Light and Darkness never ended - its been a series of battles since the beginning of time...

...and it ain't over yet.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Jul 2010 19:11:16
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  18:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
I won't comment on whether or not Amedahast ever met Alea (because it's a story question too rich to spoil), but this young woman was a descendant of at least one wizard that helped raise the mythal over Cormanthor (and who was known as the High Lady of Art), and another who was so respected by the elven court that he was given wardship over Cormyr alongside Faerlthann. She was tutored in magic from a very young age.

As for the meeting of Alea and Baerauble (depicted in Cormyr: A Novel), it is not a happy story. At its core, an erudite mage is captured by savage humans, who are slain by grieving, borderline genocidal elves in retaliation for the killing of their own people. It's not like grandma and grandpa meeting at a dance and getting married three weeks later. There's nothing romantic about it.

On that note, is anything known about (direct) children of Baerauble and Alea? I mean, their kids, not grand...grand...kids etc.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
648 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  19:00:22  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Ed and/or THO,

Not to derail this fabulous 'Cormyr secrets' discussion, but...

Did Asmra "Blacktresses" Laelock ever learn what her birthmarks really were, or was that always only intended as a DM hook in that long ago "Realmslore: Uthmere" article?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

I am a sexy, shoeless god of war!

The Sellplague began, for all intents and purposes, in the dominions of the Corporation. Greed murdered Good Design, unraveling common sense in the cosmos and destroying her dominion. At the same time, Sales Fears and Warcraft Envy happened into alignment. This cataclysmic coincidence led to upheaval, shaking apart the primeval order, opening up holes in wallets, and reshaping everything...
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  19:10:57  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Garen,

So did Amedahast have"Darkeyes"?
Afraid I don't know what Darkeyes are, so I can't answer the question. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  19:17:08  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

On that note, is anything known about (direct) children of Baerauble and Alea? I mean, their kids, not grand...grand...kids etc.

Certainly nothing that's been revealed officially, no. More than that, I'm not permitted to say.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  19:17:35  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Garten Thal, I think he's getting at "Darkeyes" the female mage who may well have been Mystra. Myrjala? Can't remember...

Markustay, I remember Ed saying not all Highknights are Harpers, but the Harpers were trying to covertly "vet" all Highknights, AND infiltrate them. So no way would Ed be using "Harper" and "Highknight" interchangeably in a novel.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3525 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  19:24:48  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:

Garen,

So did Amedahast have"Darkeyes"?
Afraid I don't know what Darkeyes are, so I can't answer the question. Sorry.

I was wondering if she was connected to Myrjala "Darkeyes" in any way.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  19:52:34  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
The Harpers at Twilight met in 324DR. The modern Harpers weren't formed until 720DR.

True, but even then, Ed was a part of them. In fact, if I remember correctly (how I hate not having my books with me) Elminster actually refounded the Harpers in 720 DR in order to do what the old Harpers had done, what with the death of many members including the founder Lady Dathlue, and in order to combat growing evil with the Fall of Myth Drannor.
quote:
Amedahast was rather young when she came to Cormyr, but I'm not entirely sure what gives you the impression that she was "fully human."

The fact that in Cormyr: A Novel it was written: "Amedahast was fully human, the result of many years of mortal blood watering down her elven ancestry"?
quote:
I won't comment on whether or not Amedahast ever met Alea (because it's a story question too rich to spoil)

Are you kidding? I've got to hear this story.

In the end, like Markus said, I don't think it really matters. They probably both learned from each other different things. I simply find it easier to accept that Elminster was (in magic in general) better informed.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  20:02:32  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Well, that depends on what you mean.

If you mean "was she familiar with the incarnation of Mystra known as Myrjala," then the answer is "no."

If you mean "was Amedahast a worshiper of Mystra," the answer is undoubtedly "yes."

If you mean "was Amedahast favored by the Lady of Mysteries," the answer is "probably, almost certainly so."

If you mean "was Amedahast a Chosen of Mystra," the answer is "NDA cloudy; ask again later." [In other words: Maybe so, maybe no, but either way, I wouldn't be able to say.]
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3525 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  20:05:42  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Well, that depends on what you mean.

If you mean "was she familiar with the incarnation of Mystra known as Myrjala," then the answer is "no."

If you mean "was Amedahast a worshiper of Mystra," the answer is undoubtedly "yes."

If you mean "was Amedahast favored by the Lady of Mysteries," the answer is "probably, almost certainly so."

If you mean "was Amedahast a Chosen of Mystra," the answer is "NDA cloudy; ask again later." [In other words: Maybe so, maybe no, but either way, I wouldn't be able to say.]

I was thinking along the Lines of 3 and 4.

thanks!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  21:03:35  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So, the 'deeper layer' I alluded to was how Mystra chooses her Chosen

Hmmm. I would keep in mind though that the original Mystra was not specifically good. I can see she would look for people who would figth for the free development of magic, but good vs evil did not seem to be a fight that interested her, except wher that fight hampered magic.
In fact, I would say that she erred with the Chosen, in that they turned out too much a force for good, making some of the choices Elminster was forced to make so hard on him.

Regarding all highknights being harpers: I would say that would seem a very unwise thing to do. It seems to me that Highknights should be loyal first to the realm, not to a higher ideal that may or may not benefit Cormyr.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  21:42:42  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Exactly. It would be the Harpers trying to infiltrate the Highknights, NOT anyone of Cormyr wanting any of them to be Harpers. They'd be dismissed (or even killed) if a "higher loyalty" than to the king was discovered in any of them. (Remember, the Highknights serv the monarch, not the realm.)
BB
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  02:02:23  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by gomez
Hmmm. I would keep in mind though that the original Mystra was not specifically good. I can see she would look for people who would figth for the free development of magic, but good vs evil did not seem to be a fight that interested her, except wher that fight hampered magic.

This is quite interesting to me. I've always thought Mystryl and Mystra (LN) were more Good than Neutral. It might not actually be true, but it seems to me that Evil is more likely to suppress magic than Good is.

I wonder how much of my personal "Chaotic Good" mindset colours that though - would a LG society suppress magic because it might be used for evil?

A question for Ed - Are there any examples of Good societies in Faerun that have tried to or are trying to suppress magic?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  03:25:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring these words from Ed of the Greenwood, in response to the flurry of Cormyr posts:

Hi. Markustay, re. this: "I also noticed that Ed uses the words 'Harper' and 'High Knight' interchangeably throughout the novel"
You did?
Because I certainly didn't! :}

To make things clearer: Elminster is happy to dwell in the Dales, and from the 1350s onward to the Spellplague, his primary focus is on the Dales (to keep the Zhents and Hillsfar and Sembia AND Cormyr from conquering them, because they have an intrinsic value in and of themselves that he highly prizes, because they buffer the ruins of Myth Drannor and prevent any of those four local powers from seizing them, and because their continued existence helps to "hold those four apart" and prevent them from warring with each other directly, ruining the lives of thousands and bringing down a kingdom that is unintentionally doing much to foster widespread use of magic: Cormyr.
Through the Harpers but also working on their own, various Chosen of Mystra are trying to keep Cormyr "magic friendly."
No, all Highknights are NOT Harpers, and Azoun would react with suspicion (and Cormyr's courtiers, nobles, and War Wizards would all react with horror) if they thought Harpers were trying to infiltrate or even influence the Highknights, the Court, or the War Wizards.
The Harpers ARE trying to get some of their number into the Highknights, and to watch the Highknights closely to make sure Sembia, the Zhentarim, and others (Thay, Amn, etc.) aren't succeeding in getting agents of their own into the Highknights.
Markustay, you're close to a not-so-well-kept secret regarding Cormyr (and Elminster), but from what you've posted (about choosing Chosen) I don't think you've got it, yet. However, don't stop digging. :}

So saith Ed. Who has Explained All to me. Some scribes, including Markustay, are "all over it" without quite hitting on it...but you're VERY warm . . .
Oooh, such teasing...
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 15 Jul 2010 03:26:56
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  03:29:35  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
So the Chosen are working to keep Cormyr a breeding ground for wizards and sorcerers, without letting the War Wizards oppress non-member mages and ever get out of hand enough for them to be hated by the commonfolk, right?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  03:30:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Right!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  04:48:26  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message
Can't say I have any sudden insight on what the big secrets of the Realms are, but all this back and forth hinting, prodding, and poking stoked an faint ember in the dim recesses of my mind. It's not Realms related, but I had to share my delight at something else clicking together due to this discussion.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  07:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I just spotted that there's going to be another GenCon Australia this year, in September. Is Ed making the trip Down Under again?

Otherwise, I'll keep saving my money for a three month US trip in order to try to catch both GenCon and BlizzCon in either 2011 or 2012. ;)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  08:08:41  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

I just spotted that there's going to be another GenCon Australia this year, in September. Is Ed making the trip Down Under again?
Oooh! I'm keen on an answer for this as well, since I'll likely be attending GenCon Australia this year also.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  09:10:36  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One:
to keep the Zhents and Hillsfar and Sembia AND Cormyr from conquering them, because they have an intrinsic value in and of themselves that he highly prizes, because they buffer the ruins of Myth Drannor and prevent any of those four local powers from seizing them

So with the restoration of Myth Drannor, how much of this would change? Would El feel he needs to guard the Dales less, since Myth Drannor is no longer in danger and can also protect the Dales?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000