Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  00:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message
thanks

another quickie ...

Is there any mames which is obivously fakes such as "Mr. Smith" or "John Doe"? where nearly everyone instantly writes it off as an alias

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  04:55:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

thanks

another quickie ...

Is there any mames which is obivously fakes such as "Mr. Smith" or "John Doe"? where nearly everyone instantly writes it off as an alias

Ed noted a couple in the past, but I don't recall if we ever had a full answer to this question (I asked it myself, quite some time ago). There was this tidbit, in the discussion on charters:

quote:
though note that many charters contain an “alljack” name (a modern American might say a “John Doe pseudonym”) that any new or trial member assumes so that they’re covered; typical Faerûnian ones include “Jack-of-Blades” and “Harl Amendall”].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  05:23:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Sian

thanks

another quickie ...

Ed noted a couple in the past, but I don't recall if we ever had a full answer to this question (I asked it myself, quite some time ago). There was this tidbit, in the discussion on charters:

quote:
though note that many charters contain an “alljack” name (a modern American might say a “John Doe pseudonym”) that any new or trial member assumes so that they’re covered; typical Faerûnian ones include “Jack-of-Blades” and “Harl Amendall”].

I'm sure Steven Schend has employed similar terms in the past as well. Or was it Rich Baker? I can't remember. *Searching the archives ... *

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Aug 2010 05:24:37
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  08:20:31  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ahhh, Sage, Sage, if it wasn't for the Lady K I'd be all over you . . . a Realms fan, a musician and can program...ohhhh....

Ahem.
love,
THO
P.S. Strangely auspicious, this page number . . . purr . . .

Hey, don't let me stop you. Just don't expect me not to join in. Eventually.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  08:43:26  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  16:49:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
What Brimstone said.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  18:53:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

Ahhh, Sage, Sage, if it wasn't for the Lady K I'd be all over you . . . a Realms fan, a musician and can program...ohhhh....

Ahem.
love,
THO
P.S. Strangely auspicious, this page number . . . purr . . .

Hey, don't let me stop you. Just don't expect me not to join in. Eventually.

Is page 69 of Ed's scroll always so illuminating?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  19:58:18  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I'll probably never get an answer to this question, but I'm wired enough to try: How much of Mystryl/Mystra/Midnight is the Weave, and how much of the Weave was Mystryl/Mystra/Midnight? (I assume the answer changes from incarnation to incarnation, but is that correct?) This may shed light on how Mystra is both The Weaver and The Weave.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

reiwynn
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  20:06:17  Show Profile  Visit reiwynn's Homepage Send reiwynn a Private Message
Just finished reading Elminster Must Die. Thank you Mr. Greenwood! Thank you very much!

Out of the frying pan, and into the dragons' maw.....
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  01:55:43  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
Glad to hear both of you reached home safely after GenCon. One of these years I really need to make the trip out there, maybe skip one of the ren faires our group normally does. I was especially interested in the fact the celebrity D&D session since Ed was taking part. It wasn't filmed to be put on the internet by any chance?

Ed's answer in May on the Black Hand in Undermountain was enlightening. I was hoping if he could find the time to answer a few other questions. Is the Black Hand affiliated with Bane since that is one of the titles he goes by? Or maybe the Unseen? Were they also flushed out by the Living Spells after Halaster's Higharvestide?

My other Undermountain question is a bit odd. I have been trying for the longest time to match up the locations in Waterdeep with the UM1. Things never seem to match up. The entry well should be lined up with the Yawning Portal, the Long Dark Stairs down the street with the Blushing Nymph, and the Falling stairs should be roughly under Waterdeep Castle. I'm sure its easy enough to account for the odd alignment via portals or winding stairs. I get the feeling this would be a detail Ed would have given thought to and was wondering if there was a secret or maybe something lost in editing as often happens?

Thank you both.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  04:06:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Gelcur, GenCon is a MUST (at least once) for gamers. Some fall under its spell, for others once is enough, but...try it.
The game session WAS filmed, and when the release forms are all sorted out, you'll see it on the internet. Ed was largely quiet, because certain people pleaded with him to "keep it clean" beforehand...but Matt James, the DM (Chris Perkins), Bob Salvatore, and Larry Elmore all made up for Ed's gentle manner with plenty of noise.
Yes, some of the odd surface/Undermountain upper level alignments are the result of editing.
I'll leave it to Ed to give you better answers on everything from here...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  05:23:06  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I have a netheril question for Ed that is likely going to have me being hit with Ioluam's Greater NDA spell, but

the spires mentioned in the frcg cormyr section that are seen in its dragonwhatever bay, is that the enclave that fell into the sea of fallen stars, or deep netheril??

or is my geography off again

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  13:47:12  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Hi Ed, what were the names of some of the larger settlements within the Dwarven kingdom of old Sarphil????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  17:30:24  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hope you enjoyed Gencon.

I have a few questions, who are some of the best forgery experts in or around Waterdeep to Scornubel and are merchant writs something easy to forge? Time period, 1370's.

Children who exhibit "powers" precognitive abilities and such and are born to common/poor folk are handled how? If sent to non-evil monastery what is done with them there? Firestarter comes to mind now as I write this.

..........Forgot my other questions....

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  15:58:02  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heh. createvmind, I'm thinking Ed's answer to your "handled how?" is going to be something like: depends on their parents/full range of possibilities. Time and again, the Realms seems every bit as complex and varied as the real world.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  23:47:06  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Can Ed comment on Invokers and Avengers in the Fourth Edition realms? Or is it NDA, perhaps because of an Article or a book about the realms upcoming?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  00:51:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I have a netheril question for Ed that is likely going to have me being hit with Ioluam's Greater NDA spell, but

the spires mentioned in the frcg cormyr section that are seen in its dragonwhatever bay, is that the enclave that fell into the sea of fallen stars, or deep netheril??

or is my geography off again

Deep Netheril was blown up, and one of the two enclaves that fell into the Sea of Fallen Stars is aloft over 4E. The other, more intact one, was off the coast of Aglarond.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  01:47:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

I'll probably never get an answer to this question, but I'm wired enough to try: How much of Mystryl/Mystra/Midnight is the Weave, and how much of the Weave was Mystryl/Mystra/Midnight? (I assume the answer changes from incarnation to incarnation, but is that correct?) This may shed light on how Mystra is both The Weaver and The Weave.

While you're waiting for Ed's response, you may wish to peruse some of his previous commentary on the subject, as the ol' Bearded One has touched on this topic before.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  01:54:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Gelcur, re. Undermountain "first level" features matching up with surface Waterdeep locations: the Falling Stair doesn't ascend into Castle Waterdeep, but into the Citadel of the Black Hand, a (mini-level) stronghold carved out of the solid rock of Mount Waterdeep (either the main mount or a spur; you'll recall that a shoulder of the mountain separates Mirt's Mansion and adjacent buildings from much of the rest of Castle Ward, and that Castle Waterdeep stands "further out/down" on this spur...).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  00:45:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Heh... I go silent for two months (mostly because I've been very busy at work, and the rest of it is because I've been reading everything about Golarion I can find) and all kinds of interesting theories appear... the exchange begun by Markustay's speculation was fascinating, and I have copied the entire sequence of salient posts for future perusal just in case something strikes me as inspirational.

quote:

Hi again, all.
Garen Thal, your input is VERY welcome on this issue.
Particularly as your points are all correct (yes, including the closing one in your second post).
I know a little more than Ed has put into print, in canon Realmslore, but Ed has asked me not to say anything on this for a little while, to see what scribes discern (and guess) on their own.
So I'll add my voice to those asking Markustay to boldly go into sharing the "deeper layer" he sees.
love to all,
THO
P.S. Oh, I wish the Royal Lineage could see print, somehow. Perhaps it's time for both Garen and Ed to tackle Steve Winter . . .

If tackling Steve Winter will make publication of the Lineage more likely to happen, then yes, tackle Mr. Winter repeatedly until he wishes he could trade jobs with Brett Favre... or, of course, until the Lineage is published, whichever happens first.

Ed, I'll add my name to the list of scribes inquiring about wines and cheeses of Cormyr (or was it Faerun more generally? Either way...), and I do love the idea of weretressym.

I'll endeavour to return to some diligent lore-checking now that I seem to have the time to do so; I'm still curious about that "Chosen of Mystryl" secret in plain sight, and the whole "Elminster and Cormyr" mystery has been far from fully explored, I suspect... but this is certainly not for lack of effort, particularly on the part of Markustay.

No new questions from me; I've found another deep mystery to occupy my extraneous mental energies while we wait for the Cormyr Lineage (delivered by the Dark Eight in full hockey gear, of course).

Edit: See newly-emboldened text above, from this newly-emboldened scribe... just how little a while is this, milady? Or have you already shared this knowledge between your original post and my perusal thereof? Many thanks to you both once again for your flickering candles in the darkness... and, particularly, to Ed for creating the wonderfully metaphorical darkness of all these mysteries in the first place... perhaps that's the real Shadow Weave?

(Oh, and the fact that I love these mysteries does not diminish my desire for answers in the slightest. I suspect that's a good thing, but the secret of Mystryl's Chosen, the pyramids of Ascore and Karse (and the Dire Wood), and now the question of Elminster and Cormyr are beginning to coalesce... if not into something that makes sense, then into something that makes my head hurt... but in a good way.)
[/edit]

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 21 Aug 2010 18:22:49
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  11:27:16  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Good day again Lady.

I see no other solution but to bother Ed with this one, even if it leads to the work heap getting even bigger.

The calender of Harptos was invented by Harptos of Kaalinth; but where/who/what was Kaalinth? I cant seem to find it mentioned anywhere else except for in that name.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  20:30:07  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. I bring you Ed's response to this query, from Brace Cormaeril: "A question for Ed: Mystra is very different than the other gods of Faerun, it seems to me.
How is Mystryl affected by the integration of mortals into the goddess, and how are mortals effected by their integration into Mystryl?"
Ed replies:

Uh-oh. Sorry, Brace, but you've run squarely into an outstanding NDA, this one about seven years old but very much still in force, regarding some (future, and perhaps never, and not just involving me) fiction plans by Wizards. Or perhaps it would be better for me to say: a no-go zone to preserve wide flexibility for fiction not yet written. Sorry, but I can't go farther than this general rule:

All deities are strengthened by increasing numbers of worshippers, and weakened by decreasing numbers of worshippers, some far more than others (according to their nature and "other aspects" and divine alliances) in both directions. All deities are informed by the thoughts, memories, and experiences of their worshippers, more than they are by the thoughts, memories, and experiences of those who know of but never worship them, those few who are ignorant of them, and those who worship them only to appease, and not with "dedication."
Mortals can never know the truth about gods, and so are warned not to trust the above statement as a tried-and-true 'mechanism' that can be relied upon for predicting the behaviour of, coercing, or influencing any diety.

So saith Ed.
Sorry Brace, but "them's the rules." NDAs are . . . NDAs.
love,
THO

Ooooh! I just had a thought about this... thank you, Brace, for asking this question, even if it got derailed by the mighty NDA wall. My speculation, which I suppose I've had for some time, but was only crystallized into clarity by the wording of Brace's question, follows the relevant facts below.

From Netheril: Empire of Magic:
quote:
When Mystryl lost her ability to keep the weave of essential magic (magic in its purest unschooled and unfielded form) intact, the inundation of magic surged and fluctuated, and the effects of all things magical doubled for a time—a short time. Mystryl sacrificed herself to save the weave before the damage became irreparable.

This is followed by Karsus' death; the mysteries surrounding the fall of his corpse, the avatar mentioned in the OGB, and the connection between Karse's black pyramid's dire oaks and Ascore's red pyramids are a different kettle of NDA fish. The important thing here is that Karsus did not kill Mystra. He merely stole her power. Mystra sacrificed herself to save the Weave, preventing what would have been an earlier Spellplague.
quote:
When Mystryl reincarnated herself—this time as Mystra—...

This is extremely significant. We know from previous confirmation by Ed and more recent musings from Markustay that Mystra/Mystryl is at least potentially the most powerful deity in the pantheon by far (Ao, as an overgod, is above the pantheon, not within it), but the key point here is in the language (and my minor in Philosophy is proving once again very useful)... for an entity to reincarnate herself, she must exist in *some* form to do the reincarnating. This is supported by the existence of Chosen of Mystryl (previously speculated upon in this scroll by yours truly), who would carry some part of her divine essence. The remainder of that divine essence would have simply transferred into the new goddess Mystra, as the events of the Spellplague (Azuth and Asmodeus) and earlier (Moander and Finder) show us that it can be neither created nor destroyed, but only change hosts or dissipate into a form too diffuse to detect. My theory is that whatever part of Mystryl was not captured by the nascent Mystra was instead absorbed by the Weave, it being of similar substance. Something similar happened in the ToT; when Mystra Mk I died, her divine essence migrated into several hosts before the ascension of Midnight at the restoration of the gods, but the key point is that she's still the same goddess created by Shar and Selune in the beginning... her personality (and therefore alignment, as well as aspects of how she relates to her Chosen, notably Elminster as seen in the novels) changes thanks to the reincarnations, but it's still the same divine essence.

Or, at least, that's my explanation, and I understand if Ed can't confirm or deny anything I've said.

I have some further ideas regarding Cormyr and Elminster too, but I need to do some more research first.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 21 Aug 2010 20:33:35
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  22:23:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
My theory is close to yours Jakk.

I think of it as thus: it is the same divinity as first created, just each incarnation is a different "interface" mystral, mystra, mystra/midnight , et al. It kinda like whenever the " interface" between the weave and the world is no longer in phase with the rest of existence...it Re-boots and upgrades into a new interface.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  08:55:44  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
I'm thinking Ed is out of commission with his bad back at the moment....so I'll wait....Dear Ed & Lady THO what can you tell me about the drow city, Tel Verinal I know its deep beneath the Moonsea some where...anything would be appreciated......cheers....hope ya back is better soon Ed.

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  09:05:06  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
THO,

Been silent for quite some time, but I have a pressing query for Ed, which I suspect may have cleared NDA at this point, due to Green Regent being long past and given the changeover to 4E.

In a word: Loudwater.

Specifically Loudwater @1367 DR and forward to a point just prior to *uncomfortable cough* 4E. So far as I know - and I've looked rather strenuously - there has never been a full map produced for the town that properly matched the brief summary in Volo's Guide to the North and the various older campaign guides.
Without wishing to hurt any feelings: I feel I must reject the map put forth in the new 4E FR guide as inaccurate, when compared to Ed's previous canon descriptions. Perhaps that is accounted a casualty of Spellplague chaos. If so, I am specifically inquiring about 'Old Loudwater', not 'New Loudwater'. Perhaps that even helps fend off NDAs? ;)

So I am left with the need, desire and ability to create an accurate @1367 DR map of the town myself, but lacking in some basic facts to start me off in the right direction. Here's what I believe I know:

Given the Volo description of encircling earthworks, I suspect that the town has a generally circular/oval footprint, unevenly bisected on the east-west axis by the Delimbyr: a segment on the southern bank of the river and a segment on the northern bank, with the Stoneshoulder bridge connecting the two sections and the pool/harbor dredged out of the southern bank to bypass the rapids - presumably with docks/wharves, warehouses and whatnot surrounding it.

The Volo's guide states that all the described places of note except the Enchanter's Ecstasy are situated in the 'south bank' section of the town. The High Lord's Hall and The Risen Moon market are described as occupying the center of town. That would put them right in the middle of the Delmibyr if the town were perfectly bisected by the river, which suggests my assumption of an uneven distribution of the town's footprint with regard to the bisecting river.

This all leads me to suspect that the 'south bank' has the larger footprint, comprising most of the common folk, local government and businesses, and the 'north bank' is the smaller, wealthier (older?) district - possibly dominated by the estates of the Phelaniityr sun elf family, the eight moon elven families, and the Velti'Enorethal temple-library (details from Green Regent that I assume at least passed a brief 'stink test' from Ed).

I don't know how much bigger, though. 60% south and 40% north? 70/30? So, questions:

1) Macro: What is the general size and shape of the town? How thick are the earthworks around that perimeter? Are my general assumptions about the layout accurate, or in need of correction? What is the width of the Delimbyr as it passes through the town? What percentage of the footprint is north of the river and what percentage south?

2) General features: What are the names and routes of the primary roads/paths through the town? Where are the breaches in the earthworks for entering and leaving the town? Roughly how many structures are there in the town? Average size? What percentage of the town's footprint is made up of gardens, parks, bowers and riverside grottoes? These answers are intended to give me a general density of construction, given the overall size of the town.

3) Specifics: How do the pool-harbor, Lord's Hall and the other specific locations from Volo lay out in relation to those main thoroughfares and to each other? Ditto with the elven family villas and the Velti'Enorethal? Does the bridge cross the Delimbyr nearer to the east end of the town, or the west? Where are ' the grassy elven burial mounds on which the oldest part of Loudwater is built'?

If you see fit to respond, I'll try to generate a rough layout based on your answers and submit it to you through the Sage for notes/corrections. At least it will give us a jumping-off point for further discussion.

Obviously, if this subject has already been tackled in more detail than Volo, prior to 4E: fellow scholars please direct me, so as not to waste Ed's time.

Likewise, lovely THO: if you can answer any/all of these questions before putting them to Ed; please feel free. I most certainly welcome your wisdom, and the opportunity to spare Ed the trouble... ;)

Cheers all,

Karth
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  17:37:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Karth, you're spot-on correct about the uneven distribution of Loudwater circa 1350s-1380s vis-a-vis the river, and about the elves and their "many trees, few structures" settlement predominating to the north (there's also an inn, right beside the north end of the bridge, on the east side of the road).
The best way to picture things is to think of an old-style running shoe (the sort with a black canvas upper and a white rubber sole, toe, and a little round circle stitched onto the upper in such a way that it covers the ankle bone of the wearer).
Okay, now think of this shoe as seen side-on, in a perfect "side view" with a wearer's ankle coming up out of it. Now alter that to a silhouette. Place the silhouette, toe pointing east, on your mental map of the Delimbiyr at Loudwater's location, and position it so that the top of the shoe touches the south/east side of the riverbank. Distort the shoe upwards to cling to the river's edge more than a real canvas sneaker would, and consider the ankle, upright (90-degree angle to shoe), to cross the river, the bridge running along its center. On the north bank of the river, the elven holdings are large, but the built-up area of Loudwater is very small, just a cluster of buildings around the north end of the bridges, along the sides of the roads (that split apart into three roads as they leave the bridge, heading north, one road going NE, one just west of N, and one curving W).
So the great majority of the built-up area of Loudwater is on the south/east bank. The Hall and Market are exactly halfway along the shoe, and halfway between the riverbank and the "sole" (which is a straight line formed by a steep earthen bank with wooden palisade atop it, pierced by many roads and causing a defensive barrier really effective only against cavalry).
There. That should be a start on an answer. Ed is tearingly busy right now, in part spinning more Realmslore for us all, but promises more replies Real Soon.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 22 Aug 2010 17:38:13
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  17:55:14  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:
There. That should be a start on an answer. Ed is tearingly busy right now, in part spinning more Realmslore for us all, but promises more replies Real Soon.
love,
THO

I couldn't have asked for a better start, dear lady. I'll get right to work on it... ;)
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  18:03:14  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:
love,
THO

One more bit that you can probably easily answer, THO: where does the Merry Mer-She fall in this layout? On the south bank, of course, but where in relation to the High Hall, the river bank, and the palisade?

Edited by - Karth on 23 Aug 2010 15:44:50
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  17:11:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Karth.
The Merry Mer-She is two buildings "in" (south) from the riverbank, three buildings upstream/north/east from the southern foot of the Stoneshoulder bridge. It's by far the least clean, respectable, and orderly such establishment in Loudwater.
Aside from what's already canon, harken to word of these two competitors of the Mer-She: Hardbottle's Haven (run by the Hardbottle halfling family), in the southernmost part of the "toe of the shoe" (in the analogy I outlined in my last post) is far tamer, better lit, and more family-friendly than the Mer-She, and there's an almost upscale "see and be seen at" establishment halfway up the heel of the shoe, known as Glarleer's, where "sophisticated" coinlasses, fences, and go-betweens can be encountered, dancing to music can be indulged in (on the main floor; the upper floor is divided into more private booths), and "lightplatters" (appetizers) are served.
(This lore comes directly from Ed's notes.)
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 23 Aug 2010 17:12:22
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  17:30:54  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Karth.
The Merry Mer-She is two buildings "in" (south) from the riverbank, three buildings upstream/north/east from the southern foot of the Stoneshoulder bridge. It's by far the least clean, respectable, and orderly such establishment in Loudwater.
Aside from what's already canon, harken to word of these two competitors of the Mer-She: Hardbottle's Haven (run by the Hardbottle halfling family), in the southernmost part of the "toe of the shoe" (in the analogy I outlined in my last post) is far tamer, better lit, and more family-friendly than the Mer-She, and there's an almost upscale "see and be seen at" establishment halfway up the heel of the shoe, known as Glarleer's, where "sophisticated" coinlasses, fences, and go-betweens can be encountered, dancing to music can be indulged in (on the main floor; the upper floor is divided into more private booths), and "lightplatters" (appetizers) are served.
(This lore comes directly from Ed's notes.)
love,
THO

Solid gold, THO. You are a both a walking treasure and a moving violation, if the wild rumour hereabouts is to be believed. Thank you again. The map is accumulating details... ;)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000