Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  00:25:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
Ed, THO,

Is the ability to resurrect the dead only limited to priests/priestesses? Can certain wizards or theurges perform such feat without divine help? If so, what requirements do they have to meet? Power level, spell components, etc...

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 03 Aug 2010 01:10:52
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  01:08:51  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I just bet there's a Zhentil Keep hose with the motto "I'll cut ya good."

And a Thayan house with: "I'll flay ya alive."

Possible, though I'd say that one would be quite likely to have been used in Dambrath already

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  01:23:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Thanks, THO!

I'm interested to read the lyrics of those battle songs. Does Ed have plan of including them in his future works?
There were two or three partially mentioned in the various books of "The Knights of Myth Drannor" trilogy. My inner Realms-music-geek desperately wanted to know more, so I asked Ed about them last year.

You can search the "So Saith Ed" archives for the replies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Aug 2010 03:17:33
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  01:47:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Thanks, Sage. Haven't read that trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  06:45:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Ed, THO,

Can a lich have more than one phylactery so that when one is destroyed, another will absorb the lich's soul? If so, at most how many? And can their phylacteries be placed in various planes?

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  06:58:51  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message
I believe the lich Aumvor the Undying has a spell just for the purpose of dividing his phylactery into multiple parts. More information about him and his spell, Aumvor's Fragmented Phylactery (or something similar sounding) can be found in Champions of Ruin.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  15:26:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Last post before I do the stealth thing, and start sidling towards GenCon. Where I'll smooch Ed over drinks, buy a few games, and vanish once more into the night ...
Ahem.
dennis, Dark Wizard is quite correct. A lich CAN have multiple phylacteries. As you surmised, only one is "active" at a time (which can make detecting/identifying the others challenging).
Also, such liches are the rare exceptions, because this "wrinkle" in preparations for lichdom is very seldom written down by those who've devised it, and so must be thought of, and successfully achieved through experimentation, by each and every mage going lichnee.
This "rarity" applies to your earlier question about wizards and theurges bringing the dead back to life: a VERY rare few can do so (in the Realms, literally a handful of individuals, outside of those who are servitors of deities [of the power level of Chosen of Mystra, or above]). In the vast majority of cases, a wizard is helpless to bring back the dead, except as undead through necromancy. Priests are where most grieving folk will turn to, to get a dead person "back".
love,
THO
Who is off now, to head for the dread gamermoot at Indy...

Edited by - The Hooded One on 03 Aug 2010 15:35:32
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  16:48:13  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
If you want to spend the Wish, I'm sure that will bring someone back from the dead as well.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  22:25:40  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Been thing of creating a female Genasi character, but I have been wanting something a Genasi doesn't have in fourth edition... Hair. So I figured a magical hair implant or wig might work.

This brings up the question on hair technologies in the realms, where the cure for baldness is just a spell, prayer or diabolical contract away.

Is there ways for hair to be implanted on the bald or those who are not born with hair or born with a hair substitute (Genasi, Males with Pattern Baldness, Lizard-women)?

Are there enchanted wigs with mystical powers?

Also doe the wigs/implant also expand to non-top of the head hair (Magical Mustaches, Divine Beards for Dwarfs, chest hairs of manliness, or even more private enchanted hair... down there... where the had been no hair before your teens)?

Some serious with the silly...

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  23:26:57  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Ed, can dimensional spaces/pockets/places be created to block out dieties giving spells to their servants within them? Is aid from the diety required for this or can it be achieved by mortal means, I would think the smaller the space the easier to block divine magic, yes?

Anything you can share on this?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  05:49:48  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Ed,

I just saw this Hero Battle: Elminster and...

Well, I'm sorry. I give you my apologies that a character that was intended to simply be a wonderful story element has become a marketing ploy aimed at all the hack-n-slash dice rollers of the current age that can now say: "I took down Elminster!"

I should have tried harder, I should have used my voice to persuade more, or I should have sent more thank you letters to TSR and WotC telling them how much I loved things just the way they are. Even having duplicate copies of books wouldn't have hurt me...

Now, I do have a question...and totally related to the game and your own writing.

If Elminster is killed; finally and irrevocably...what, if any, effects would that have concerning magic in the world?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  08:37:14  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I am still wondering if the 'battle' is the result of anything that actually happened in the book.
If so, the book would seem to end rather... odd.
The article makes 'assumptions' - but I wonder if these are fact or fancy.
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  13:30:30  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message
I think that's a groovy painting of Elminster, and the hook is cool, too. The Chosen are, as often as not, a threat to the common folk of Faerun; I love encounters where the "villain's" motivations are manifold.

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  13:33:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. Last post before I do the stealth thing, and start sidling towards GenCon. Where I'll smooch Ed over drinks, buy a few games, and vanish once more into the night ...
Ahem.
dennis, Dark Wizard is quite correct. A lich CAN have multiple phylacteries. As you surmised, only one is "active" at a time (which can make detecting/identifying the others challenging).
Also, such liches are the rare exceptions, because this "wrinkle" in preparations for lichdom is very seldom written down by those who've devised it, and so must be thought of, and successfully achieved through experimentation, by each and every mage going lichnee.
This "rarity" applies to your earlier question about wizards and theurges bringing the dead back to life: a VERY rare few can do so (in the Realms, literally a handful of individuals, outside of those who are servitors of deities [of the power level of Chosen of Mystra, or above]). In the vast majority of cases, a wizard is helpless to bring back the dead, except as undead through necromancy. Priests are where most grieving folk will turn to, to get a dead person "back".
love,
THO
Who is off now, to head for the dread gamermoot at Indy...

Thanks, THO. Have fun in the moot!

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  13:34:17  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

I am still wondering if the 'battle' is the result of anything that actually happened in the book.

It is pure fancy. Unless there is a whole chapter missing from the novel.
And I brought this up at the book club: How much of the book was left on the cutting room floor?

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  13:57:47  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brace Cormaeril

quote:

I don't know about fact or fancy, but the contents of the article are certainly fantasy. And hosted on Hasbro/WotC's site, hence canon.

BC, please don't tell me that the 'thought experiments' of fighting Elminster or Drizzt are meant to be canonical stories of the Realms.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  15:14:04  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Brace Cormaeril

quote:

I don't know about fact or fancy, but the contents of the article are certainly fantasy. And hosted on Hasbro/WotC's site, hence canon.

BC, please don't tell me that the 'thought experiments' of fighting Elminster or Drizzt are meant to be canonical stories of the Realms.

Before this explodes and goes way off topic. Ashe quoted something that no longer exists do to either BC deleting the original post of editing his post.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  15:16:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Fellow scribes, there's already a scroll dedicated to the side-topic you are all discussing here in Ed's scroll. Please take it elsewhere.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  13:27:37  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Hi Ed,

I have a question regarding the family of Summerstar from Firefall Vale.

According to my notes the founder of Firefall Keep was a Glothgam Summerstar. He carried a certain sword - the Sowrd of Summer Wind. Now to the questions:

1. Did this sword have special powers and if yes, which?
2. Who carries the sword today (in my campaign that is 1375 DR)?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Best Regards, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  21:10:03  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Ed, in Elminster in Myth Drannor you wrote that elves consider kissing the ears and the palms of the hand very erotic. Why is this? Is it physical (elves are very sensitive there), or something else?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  22:25:34  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Based on the way Arilyn Moonblade reacts when Danilo Thann touches her ears in one of Elaune's books, I'd say that at least that bit is physical.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  06:31:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO - hope GEN-CON is living up to expectations.

I was musing the other day about a bunch of FR stuff and a few disparate threads coalesced into a single question:

Aside from Szass Tam, have there been other groups or individuals who have braved the perils of Warlock's Crypt, conversed with Larloch and lived to tell the tale? If so, have any of them been from or associated with Candlekeep?

Thanks in advance.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

MaskedOne
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  07:09:19  Show Profile Send MaskedOne a Private Message
Without directly naming anyone and thereby spoiling the novel end.

How difficult would it be for another being to successfully imitate (well enough to fool Storm, not just anyone off the block) the individual that contacted Storm at the end of Elminster Must Die?

Edit, question hidden, highlight post to read.

Edited by - MaskedOne on 09 Aug 2010 04:48:27
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  13:55:53  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
for those of us still waiting for the novel please alert us to spoilers alerts first before posting.........

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  14:04:50  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Thats why I have been really quiet about Elminster MUST Die here.

I have been spoiling the poop out of it on the Wizards Boards.

It is a romp through Cormyr...
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  15:57:05  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message
I finished ELMINSTER MUST DIE many days ago, with fate permitting me to have acquired it nigh unto a tenday earlier. Without revealing any secrets here I shall say I enjoyed it immensely, and overwhelmingly recommend it to all fans of the Old Sage and Saer Greenwood's characters in general. I had not realized how much I had missed so many of these characters, much like long lost old friends, and it was heartening to see and hear of them again...in fact many more than I had anticipated or could have hoped for!

Needless to say I have many, many questions to ask and many more (largely positive) comments to deliver. However I will wait until after my second read-through (that being the more slow, deliberate, and note-taking reading) and after I have had a chance to discuss extensively on the Book Club discussion threads here, so as not to burden this thread with too many spoilers to dodge and intense side discussions.

I do however have one question, which does not contain or imply much of a spoiler, beyond what is revealed in the sample chapters, book cover flap, and the upcoming entries in the series

But feel free to skip O Realms readers if any of ye are at all concerned it might imply a SPOILER

In one of your interviews shortly after the launch of 4E Forgotten Realms, you talked about how Living Forgotten Realms adventures could tie into the novels and that the actions of the players could influence their later outcomes.

Would it be possible that there might be a Living Forgotten Realms adventure arc wherein the players could aid Elminster and/or his allies in their current efforts--specifically in the gathering of magic items to cure or stave off the conditions that afflict him and his lady?

More specifically, an adventure that you could be directly involved with or assist in the writing, or that might tie into future parts of the Sage of Shadowdale series? One of the reasons I suggest it for the Living Forgotten Realms (or even an adventure series in DUNGEON) is because, unlike a home campaign, the inflow of treasure and magic items is much more tightly monitored in the RPGA or a published adventure. As such, if Players were to yield some of their magical "gewjaws" or sacrifice all or part of a treasure parcel to aid the Old Sage then it would be more significant. Likewise, because the 4E system has things like story rewards as opposed to just treasure (i.e. opening new quest lines, friendship with NPC allies, etc) this could be a sort of trade off. As in the heroes aid Elminster today, and in turn it opens up future adventures where Elminster asks them to retrieve some magical cache he knows of but is "walled from his failing strength or hidden from his fading senses". Or perhaps, much later in the epic tier gain some off-screen aid from the Old Sage in some far-spread war or conflict in an adventure arc (Netheril, or the Zhentarim as an example), or possibly the chance to have him alongside them as an adventuring companion for a specific and epic battle against a certain foe or another of the Realms.

After reading the recent Hero Battle: Elminster article it has shown exactly how badly things could go if the Old Sage does fail in his efforts, and one of the themes in ELMINSTER MUST DIE is how there are too few people left who can see what needs to be done and have the will to rise to the challenge. I for one (and my characters for two) am willing to do everything possible to prevent such dire fate for the Old Sage and his loved ones...and I imagine most true Forgotten Realms players are fiercely in the same boat. Therefore I exult and implore you to please consider or perhaps take up such an endeavor, assuming such is not already in the works and you believe it may have merit.

Edited by - The Simbul on 08 Aug 2010 16:06:32
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  17:36:22  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
While we wait for Ed's return from the Great Gaming Con:

I'd check with Gomez (or GomezToo as he's known on the WotC boards). He's a big part of the Living Realms and might be able to give you an idea on future storylines. Although, with the recent announcement that the Living Realms are no longer considered canon, I doubt they still tie in with the novels or influence them.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  20:35:27  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I have no real idea of future arcs at the moment.
Hopefully, with a week or so I know whether I will stay part of LFR (as an editor), and possibly any future projects.
I can tell that in the new setup of LFR, it will generally not affect novels and such, barring 'special' projects.
Personally, I'd love to work with Ed on a series that involve Elminster (or Storm).
I just don't know if there will be possibilities. I expect it would need some legwork to arrange.
Some of the Dalelands adventures do imply that Elminster has some influence on some of the plots - not directly, but through intermediaries 'instructing' adventurers.

I agree with The Simbul: I do have some PCs (one in particular) who would aid the Old Sage and be willing to fight for the cause, and there are likely more. It is diheartening to hear that Elm doens't believe there are any of those heroes - I think it would be interesting to work on a story that would help prove (to him) that he is wrong, and that he is not alone in the fight.
If not for LFR, maybe DDI?

I hope Ed can say more on it, but I fear not...

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  20:52:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Heh... I know of a Chosen ranger of Mielikki (and Arms-Major of Myth Drannor) that would help as much as he could as well.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

MaskedOne
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  04:51:46  Show Profile Send MaskedOne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

for those of us still waiting for the novel please alert us to spoilers alerts first before posting.........

Sorry, for the late reply. Question is now hidden by spoiler tags which I should probably have done last night but it's been quite some time since providing spoilers was an issue for me. I'd have done it earlier but I can't easily test certain codes from a phone and wanted to make certain the code would work as intended.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000