Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  01:43:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

It isn't addictive, however, so there's no "withdrawal" or craving or addiction, or behaviours associated with such.
Actually, this brings up something I was thinking about earlier, in terms of Realms-based drugs and substances.

Ed, how are the processes of drug withdrawal, drug craving, drug addiction, and drug-related behaviours treated in the Realms? The RAVENLOFT novel Vampire of the Mists provided some keen insight into how Waterdeep treats, somewhat, mental instability and similar cases, but we've not really seen how various locales deal with people wracked by drug-related problems.

Any elaboration of this would be greatly appreciated.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  01:56:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
The recent questions here have all been e-hurled into Ed's lap, and he has sent back a swift-as-a-lash reply to some:

Wooly, many of the herbal fertility treatments are thought to favor this gender or that, but the wisest sages (and elves who have studied the forest herbs more closely than anyone else) are almost all of the opinion that such thinking is either wishful or empty claims, rather than fact.
dennis, there are no "guarantees" about anything medical or medicinal in the Realms, by anyone who's sane, unless they're deliberately setting out to deceive. None of the herbal remedies and treatments popular from the 1320s onward in the Realms (the mapped and "known" part of the Realms explored thus far in the published canon, at least) are widely suspected of causing mutations or defects; there are some older herbal concoctions that did, or were thought to, and they fell out of favour as a result.
As magical experimentation (under the urging of Mystra's clergy, Chosen, and other servitors) has picked up in the 1300s, purely "by hand" herblore experimentation has waned, and as a result no knew "big innovations" in herblore have become known from the 1320s onwards (that's not saying there haven't been any, rather that they haven't become widely known, with all the attention on either magic spells and potions, or "philtres" and other drinkable medicines peddled by the caravan merchants (most of which would in real-world terms be deemed "snake oil" more than truly efficacious).

So saith Ed. Tirelessly painting in and revealing more and more detail to the Realms as the years pass . . .

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  02:53:19  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
I do greatly appreciate it! Thank you! And Joran's in good shape, though another of my characters was curious about these matters. Joran prefers to do things the old fashioned way.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  02:58:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
My thanks for the swift reply!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  03:08:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

As magical experimentation (under the urging of Mystra's clergy, Chosen, and other servitors) has picked up in the 1300s, purely "by hand" herblore experimentation has waned, and as a result no knew "big innovations" in herblore have become known from the 1320s onwards (that's not saying there haven't been any, rather that they haven't become widely known, with all the attention on either magic spells and potions, or "philtres" and other drinkable medicines peddled by the caravan merchants (most of which would in real-world terms be deemed "snake oil" more than truly efficacious).
Hmmm. This might factor into a potential side-quest in my current campaign, now that I think about it.

Question:- Ed, I'm assuming you could provide some brief details on the "big innovations in herblore" from the pre-1300's?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  03:57:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Thanks for the quick reply, Ed and THO!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  04:03:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi Ed, THO!

I would really, really appreciate if you could find time (I know you're extremely busy, Ed) to answer these questions. I've posted them in separate scrolls before...

1.Is Mystra's Ban permanent, existing even though she's destroyed?

2.Unlike the Weave, the Shadow Weave has no Ban. Does this SOMEHOW make it more powerful than the Weave? I remember in RotA Vala asked Galaeron this, and the latter said not powerful, but different. And I can't help but wonder if he should have said powerful AND different. There's Shade's mythallar to consider, which still works by drawing magic from the SW – which would not have been possible had it drawn magic from the Weave (because, again, of the Ban). And if the answer to my question is yes, will they be of equal strength should Mystra decide to lift the Ban?

3.Is there something special about Shar? Many deities, evil and good, were destroyed and came back to life, Mystra being the best example. Yet Shar remains, despite that there are many evil greater deities (should they put their mind to it, which is very likely, considering Shar's new toy, the SW) who could destroy her and steal her portfolio (and her toy). Maybe Mask is already planning to do that?

4.How is it possible that a god (a greater deity, that is) would succumb to a threat of a mere lich? In Richard's “Undead,” Szass Tam had the guts to threaten Bane that he would use all magic left to him (and I wonder how much, since the SP weakened him considerably) to bind and give the said god utter inconvenience if Bane denied him his request. Bane was even surprised that a mere lich dared threaten him. Yet he granted Tam what he wanted. Did Bane realize the value of Tam's soul that he agreed to the bargain? Even so, is it that to summon and explicitly threaten a lawfully wicked god is a grave transgression that no evil god will leave unpunished? I thought of asking this to Richard, since he's the one who wrote the book (which is excellent, by the way), but since this touches the nature of gods, I thought I better ask you.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  04:16:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed has surprised me with a swift answer to the quartet of offered-again queries from dennis, and here it is:

1. The short answer: Mortals (that includes all of us :} ) just don't know.
The longer answer: The Ban SHOULD have ended with Mystra's death - - but did not. Which means either that its nature is misunderstood by mortals (possibly because Mystra misled them) or (far more likely) Ao or another divine entity "took over" and maintained the Ban (for as yet unknown reasons, but probably having to do with the stability of magic, with the Weave gone).

2. No. The Weave is more powerful than the Shadow Weave, because although both of them are different ways of accessing the natural forces (heat, light, kinetic, tidal, wind, gravitational, photosynthesis and other natural chemical reactions, etc.) of the world, the Weave is a structured, focused manner of doing so, whereas the Shadow Weave is a "back door" method that depends on the existence of the Weave for a lot of its own focus (the metaphor most useful to mortals is: the Shadow Weave is the dark spaces between the luminous lattice of the Weave).
With the Weave gone, the Shadow Weave is a lot wilder/less controlled by its users; it's the difference between using a shaped rigid tool to manipulate something you dare not touch, and trying to use a length of rope or vine as your tool to do the same thing: a lot of the time your attempts will collapse or slither around or require much more effort on your part, thrusting or flailing, to accomplish the same thing. With the "lattice" of the Weave in place, you can thrust your rope or vine along a narrow channel to reach what you desire; without the lattice, your rope or vine can wiggle all over the place.
As Mystra's Ban just cuts off spellcasters' access to some of the outcomes of natural forces (seals off part of the lattice without destroying it, because the natural forces are still there, and still "operating"), its removal will make Weave USERS more powerful, but affect the Weave's own "power" not at all. And its removal won't affect the Shadow Weave itself either, only allow Shadow Weave USERS access to some dark spaces they couldn't reach before.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 30 Jul 2010 15:27:07
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  04:28:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
3. Never rule Mask out. Ever. He is ALWAYS scheming, and you are right to anticipate him coming up with SOMETHING.
With that said, no mortal can say (even if, like me, they know something :}} ) what he's up to, regarding Shar or anything/anyone else.
As for Shar, she is indeed special, though no mortal yet knows (and I can't say; NDAs, you know) exactly why or how. More may well be revealed, some day, but mortals probably won't enjoy that revelation. (And I say this as the guy who created the Realms, Shar, and Mask. And for that matter, Bane and Szass Tam; see below.)

4. Gods are vulnerable, but you are misreading the particular situation: Bane did not "succumb" to a threat made to him by a mortal/lesser being, though Szass Tam THOUGHT he did. Gods are BORED by most interactions with mortals/lesser beings, and Szass Tam's boldness intrigued Bane and entertained Bane. He reconsidered the capabilities of Szass Tam on the spot, wondered if he could make use of Tam's strivings, and eventual achievements, and decided to go along with this, to see what might happen.
Some (by no means all) gods are given to the habit of looking ahead, plotting, planning, and trying to anticipate how things will turn out. Others, like real-world mortals who read mystery novels but DON'T want to try to solve the puzzles or peek at the back of the book to see how it turns out, just like to enjoy the ride and "live in the moment" or plan ahead only a little way. Bane is one of the deities who does both: he schemes and plots, but likes to pay no attention to some matters until they unfold and surprise/amuse/entertain him. As for WHAT Tam achieves, and WHY Bane appeared to "give in" (what he expects to eventually get out of the situation), we'll all just have to wait and see . . .

So saith Ed. Who builds more layers of depth into the Realms than many realize at first glance. And is still doing so, even as we speak.
(Sorry for the post split; I'm doing comm work even as I transfer Ed's e-mail into a post there at the Keep, and so as not to risk losing his words . . .)
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 30 Jul 2010 15:27:54
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  04:29:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
Wow! Now that's really lightning-fast!

Thanks Ed and THO for the reply, specially that to q no. 2. It's just that with the novels I read I was led to believe that the SW is stronger than the Weave...Now I know better. =)

Edited by - Dennis on 30 Jul 2010 05:25:42
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  05:15:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

Bane is one of the deities who does both: he schemes and plots, but likes to pay no attention to some matters until they unfold and surprise/amuse/entertain him. As for WHAT Tam achieves, and WHY Bane appeared to "give in" (what he expects to eventually get out of the situation), we'll all just have to wait and see . . .

I wonder if Tam will really keep his part of the bargain when his time is up and he still fails to ascend to godhood. Will he dare fight Bane? If so, I wonder how in Toril does he hope to do that? But then again, I'm touching matters that may or may not happen several years from now.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  05:31:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi Ed!

Got another question...

Will you write (or did you consider writing) a series or a stand-alone novel set in Netheril? It's just that there's scarcely Netheril-lore presented in Clayton's The Netheril trilogy. Such a rich and powerful realm deserves more exposure.

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  09:25:55  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
New Spin A Yarn is out:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/20100730

It seems this tale is pre-Spellplague (the way people talk about Chosen of Mystra, and the appearance of Mhair Szeltune and Mirt).
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  10:36:30  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Another question for Ed:
I am looking for the Halls of Mysteries, the temple of Mystra, on the Raven's Bluff map, but it is not listed.
Is it outside the town? It would be useful for my purposes if it is, actually. (To explain: I am looking to see if placing 'The Spiral Gate' adventure partway in Raven's Bluff and environs would make sense).

There is a walled building in the top left corner of the map (just above O'Kane manor). It seems a bit out of the way, but it migth make a 'mock castle', as the halls are described...
Anyway, I am curious to know.

Gomez

Edited by - gomez on 30 Jul 2010 10:39:26
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  10:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
Second the Netheril question...

And I've got my one: what is the symbol of Bane in 3ed? Is it green rays, or beige rays on green field, shooting from a black fist? Colors are important, because the description says one thing, and the drawing (in F&P) doesn't fit...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  11:34:48  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by gomez

New Spin A Yarn is out:

It seems this tale is pre-Spellplague (the way people talk about Chosen of Mystra, and the appearance of Mhair Szeltune and Mirt).

Hmm... seems rather long for yarn - novella sized even! Can't wait to read it! Unfortunately, the PDF appears to have broken Stanza on my iPod.

ETA: It hadn't broken Stanza, but Stanza doesn't play well with PDFs, so I'm going to have to read it online when I get a chance... lol

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 31 Jul 2010 00:53:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  11:54:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

New Spin A Yarn is out:

Thank you for posting the link! I'll be adding it to my Spin A Yarn links thread.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  12:27:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ooooh! Too bad I can't read it now.

Marked for later perusal.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
725 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  13:32:11  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Ed and/or THO,

While searching for more 'Realmspeak' I have come accross four wonderful (and what seems to be slightly hidden, as in they have no official homes except being linked to from the 2002 archive) articles on everyday life in Silverymoon. In the first two "My Slice of Silverymoon" articles, I have found the following 'unexplained' terms:
  • hidestone” – Common:- “. . .best buy a cellar, and search for the little movable "hidestones" in the walls of most of them.” (My Slice of Silverymoon, Part One by Ed Greenwood)

• lackcoin” – Common:- “. . .cellar-guards (often sons or lackcoin kin of the owners of the buildings. . .” (My Slice of Silverymoon, Part Two by Ed Greenwood)

• lowgown” – Common:- “. . .the highnoses and lowgowns who throw revels. . .” (My Slice of Silverymoon, Part Two by Ed Greenwood)

• roundskull” – Common:- “Any roundskull can think of outlander wagons bringing food and goods. . .” (My Slice of Silverymoon, Part One by Ed Greenwood)

• smallkeg” – Common:- “. . .cracked earthen vessel about the size of a "smallkeg" set on end. . .” (My Slice of Silverymoon, Part One by Ed Greenwood)

• Can Ed tell us any more about these things?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
    Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
    Great Reader

Sweden
    2104 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  14:28:03  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
    Found this posted over at the Paizo-forums and wondered if Ed can bring some enlightenment to the poster.

quote:
    originally posted by Ironicdisaster
    It just occured to me, maybe cause I'm dumb, or maybe cause it I just never put it together, but fey'ri seems like a portmanteau of fey and tanar'ri. On purpose or just a coincidence?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
    Terry Pratchett
    Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  15:29:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
    Ooooh. Kajehase, you have put your finger on something that's firmly NDA'd. Though the mere fact that it is should tell you something, shouldn't it?
    love,
    THO
    Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  15:38:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
    Hi again, all.
    dennis, there are many superstitions in the Realms, though (aside from some passing mentions) they have been largely neglected in the printed lore. Ed will offer up a few of them when he has time - - which will undoubtedly not be until after GenCon.

And as for Netheril: Ed will give you a proper reply on that, too, but the phrasing of your question suggests you think Ed is free to write novels or gamebooks on anything he wants to/is interested in. That's not the case, and never has been: TSR and now Wizards of the Coast decides what will be published, and in the case of novels means deciding on characters, date setting, geographical location, and plot before any writing begins. And, like most publishers, further tweaking by commenting on the first draft, to produce a final that's closer to what they're looking to publish.
    Now, Ed did create Netheril, but the boxed set on Netheril did not use much of his lore, at all. It's doubtful if Wizards would now be interested in any fiction (except for brief plot-necessary flashback scenes in a novel set in the "present," or PERHAPS a website short story) set that far in the past, but . . . everything changes, with passing time, so who knows?
    love,
    THO
    Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
    Great Reader

USA
    2449 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  16:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
    "Portmanteau?" [scratches head] Maybe I'm just not up on all the older slang, but what does luggage have to do with either fey'ri or tanar'ri? Can you unpack that a bit more, Kajehase?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
    Sigh... And now 4e as well.
    Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
    Great Reader

USA
    3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  16:04:55  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hoondatha

"Portmanteau?" [scratches head] Maybe I'm just not up on all the older slang, but what does luggage have to do with either fey'ri or tanar'ri? Can you unpack that a bit more, Kajehase?

Portmanteau is the blending of two words into a new one.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
    Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
    Great Reader

Sweden
    2104 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  19:10:24  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
    And had I written the question I'd have used "compound word" as I'm not a huge fan of using loan words when there already exists a perfectly good "native" expression. (And now I bet someone will show up to tell me that portmanteau was first used in English writing by an Anglo-Norman monk in 1121 or something. WHich would raise the question why said monk wasn't writing in Latin, and then we'd have a nice etymological flame war on our hands, so let's just leave things the way they are, eh?)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
    Terry Pratchett
    Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  21:33:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
    Hi again, all!
    A FYI re. the Spin A Yarn: the way the PDF "broke" the pages, it seems to end abruptly, with no "THE END" or equivalent 'end' symbol. I just want everyone to know that the question the story ends on IS indeed the end of the tale; you're not missing anything.
    love to all,
    THO
    Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
    Great Reader

Sweden
    2104 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  23:32:48  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
    That's good to know. On behalf of all my fellow Candlekeepers (because I'm feeling pompous) - thanks

Terry Pratchett
    Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
    Great Reader

USA
    2449 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  00:18:12  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
    Originally posted by Hoondatha

Portmanteau is the blending of two words into a new one.

Aha. Well, that makes a whole lot more sense then. Thanks for the clarification.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
    Sigh... And now 4e as well.
    Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
    Great Reader

USA
    4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  02:26:59  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
    THO,

back in 2004, I find this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Well met again, gentles. Thy Hooded Lady, bearing the words of Ed:

Ahhh, Lashan, you’ve spotted one of my little secrets. Yes, Brandon Battlemaster became a hero in Tantras after he led a few captains of his mercenary company -- WITHOUT pay or any sword-contract -- to the rescue of local priests of Torm, and paid with his life.
    The priests were taking monies (temple offerings) and consecrated armor and weapons (which the priests of the temple had constructed, for other temples of the faith to sell in Sembia and the Vilhon, and thus raise more money for church activities [notably giving food, shelter, and healing to the families of guards who’ve died or been maimed in battle or fulfilling their duties]) to the docks in Tantras to load onto church-owned ships for a quick trip to the nearest Sembian ports (it was intended that the church cargo be carried overland as much as possible, because piracy was very bad at the time).
    Not all of the supporters of Lashan died in the collapse of Lashan’s dreams. Many of them fled across the Reach, to join agents of Lashan already resident in Tantras -- and they got wind of this valuable cargo. Some of them probably saw an attack on it purely in terms of personal gain: enough coin to let them travel far away from the dales and possible retribution, and start a new life elsewhere. Others, because the weapons and armor were their chief interests, obviously intended to replace Lashan with a new ‘pretender’ (perhaps even someone magically disguised to look like Lashan and pretending to BE the original Lashan), and try again to conquer the dales or some part of the region.
    During the late night loading, an attack was made on the priests at the docks. Brandon Battlemaster and some of his warcaptains happened to be drinking in a dockside tavern, and they boiled forth half-drunk to defend the priests of Torm, fighting heroically against great odds and, although almost all of them died in the fray, ultimately winning victory for the faithful of Torm by buying the authorities time enough to muster enough armed force -- and making enough noise that the other dockside taverns emptied, and although confusion reigned, it became impossible for anyone to remove property from the priests on the docks without being seen.
    For their pains, Brandon (now at least a CN hm Ftr9, though he may be as much as 2 levels above that; I can’t find my current notes at the moment) and two of his senior warcaptains, Beltarkh the Bold (CN hm Ftr7 [a very large, strong man with minotaur blood in his lineage]) and Dathamra “Deadsword” Alyth (LN hf Rog2/Ftr4) were raised from the dead by the grateful Church of Torm, and a statue promptly erected in Brandon’s honour. (Local rumor insists that priests constructed it so as to have a hideout chamber in its base, containing a weapons-cache.)
    Brandon, Beltarkh, and Dathamra all seem to have been deeply shaken by the experience, and are now operating all over the coastal lands of the Sea of Fallen Stars, and (for now, at least) largely avoiding Tantras and the Dragonreach. Or perhaps they came to some sort of secret agreement with the Tantran priests of Torm that the wider world doesn’t know about.

So saith Ed. Interesting. VERY interesting. Something Brandon said in passing to one of my characters makes a lot more sense, now . . .
    Ed, your mind must be like a huge library of books all opening themselves and reading themselves aloud at once. Hmm: Lost and Wandering in Ed’s mind -- now THAT would make a Hollywood movie I’d pay a LOT to go and see.
    THO
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

I have two questions related to this:

1) Was Brandon ever a Player Character in one of Ed's games?

2) What happened with Brandon after this?

ANY information at all is welcome on this character please.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 31 Jul 2010 02:28:12
    Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
    Great Reader

USA
    4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  02:32:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
    A follow up as well please:

Where is Brandon originally from? I'm hoping that information was never decided...but if it is; I'd love to know it.

Also, can you tell me where Jhassilm Onespear's Citadel was that Brandon stormed?

AND...and I promise this is the last thing I'll ask concerning Brandon and "relations": the Lich Tharuighagh, where in the hills near Saerb was it that Brandon killed him...and was it a lair or simply out and about?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  Topic Locked
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000