Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2010 :  00:55:33  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed it appears to me that Mystra in many ways is/was the goddess of balance of a sort, she maintains that living and undead being, nations, races continue to thrive so that magic may thrive in all its forms. This steers me to did the phaerimm lose her "protection" for progressing magic as a species when they created the lifedrain spell? I think there is a possibility the phaerimm migrated to faerun from elsewhere and didn't upset the balance until the lifedrain casting or continued castings but their numbers were kept low warring with Sharn and Netheril and were then contained before old Mystrul could take action and new Mystra was too busy dealing with damage from Karsus aftermath.
The reason I say this is because they obviously have developed many unique spells probably like the spellweavers but were allowed to be hunted to near extinction by Mystra's Chosen and those who work with the Chosen. I know the Shadovar were a major part in this but it appears Mystra decided to choose between two recently returned/unbound magic powerhouses and choose to deal with Shadovar than the phaerimm.

Am I on to something?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2010 :  05:49:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
Sigh... so I guess this means that, even though TSR's Unther and Mulhorand no longer exist post-Spellplague, Ed still can't share details of his Unther and Mulhorand with us, either... I'm beginning to think that corporations have no business getting involved in the RPG industry at all...

I don't think that is what THO is saying. What she is highlighting is that any material submitted to TSR/WotC over the years for products (both those that got published and those that did not) can't be provided by him again to Candlekeep. He can however provide additional information (not previously submitted to TSR/WotC) on a whole host of topics - and has! I'm guessing however that as is Ed's habit, he provided considerable information on Netheril to the powers that were which means that what is left might be sparse indeed. I think you'd have a better chance asking about specific aspects of Netheril (i.e. name a famous archwizard not noted in the extant sources, details of places not currently 'on the map' or famous spells/magic items not yet chronicled, etc.) which interest you rather than asking for carte blanche "Netheril information".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2010 :  11:54:46  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Would an educated Realmsian use the word torus to describe a ring-loaf shape, or is there another word?
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2010 :  12:23:21  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message

Thanks for the quick answer Lady. The open history is one of my favourite parts of the early Realms, as it gives the most leeway to form the background of a campaign. And the answer you gave would at least lead me to believe that such a period would be some time ago if it did exist. Maybe I will make Netheril a bronze-based culture.

But the question of Gates got me curious about a couple of other things, for once I will try to express myself briefly. Are the Realmsian gates mostly of mortal make or are they also "naturally" occurring things? The article (and most of the others I can remember) talks about the standing stone version, but how about "loose" gates? If gates do appear outside of wilful mortal creations, then I would guess that there might also be whole areas that work more or less like gates as well, of the type where one rides into a forest, mist etc (I am not thinking of Ravenloft here) and appear in another world? Works great for faerie tales and mystery campaigns, but are they usually a part of the Realms? And are there many instances of short time gates appearing or are they usually of a more permanent nature? This is practical for adventures, but could leave to quite a few people/species being stranded for good.

Sorry if these questions have been answered earlier, but there is to much Realms by now for me to remember everything, especially in these threads. Thanks for reminding me about that article by the way. And now I must find a plan for sending Wormy himself through one of the gates,
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2010 :  15:29:52  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Jorkens,

The Netheril boxed set - and will not discuss it now, but I always thought it wasn't set as it was originally planned by Ed - have some info about the year in which the spells and equipments found in the PHB were available, through the empire's ages. Maybe you should consider the bronze age according to this info - for example, you could set a bronze age adventure in the years before the invention of plate mail, but when bronze plate was available.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2010 :  16:20:44  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Jorkens,

The Netheril boxed set - and will not discuss it now, but I always thought it wasn't set as it was originally planned by Ed - have some info about the year in which the spells and equipments found in the PHB were available, through the empire's ages. Maybe you should consider the bronze age according to this info - for example, you could set a bronze age adventure in the years before the invention of plate mail, but when bronze plate was available.

Thanks Barastir, but I am not planning an adventure in the period, its more a case of bringing the bronze into the current Realms. One of the things I am doing at the moment is a total rewrite for my own sake, adapting it to Chaosium BRP. And then organizations, races, religions everything will get a thorough reworking for my next campaign. Everything I don't like is going, and that box is among my main targets. But I will listen to an old Gillan album in homage to the villages of Netherill. I wonder who's bright idea those were in the first place. And I am making the Realms more dark ages then late medieval, so plate will be very rare. Iron and magic don't go that well together, so bronze and other metals will still be in regular use.Doing this got thinking that I couldn't remember any official information concerning a bronze age and hence the question.

But I will stop derailing the thread now.

Edited by - Jorkens on 06 Jul 2010 16:24:13
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2010 :  18:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
I'm guessing however that as is Ed's habit, he provided considerable information on Netheril to the powers that were which means that what is left might be sparse indeed.
And part of the dissatisfaction with that boxed set is -- in the story I heard, at least -- the gap between the notes Ed supplied and what ended up in the text.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  16:14:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
A page back, createvmind posted: "Ed it appears to me that Mystra in many ways is/was the goddess of balance of a sort, she maintains that living and undead being, nations, races continue to thrive so that magic may thrive in all its forms. This steers me to did the phaerimm lose her "protection" for progressing magic as a species when they created the lifedrain spell? I think there is a possibility the phaerimm migrated to faerun from elsewhere and didn't upset the balance until the lifedrain casting or continued castings but their numbers were kept low warring with Sharn and Netheril and were then contained before old Mystrul could take action and new Mystra was too busy dealing with damage from Karsus aftermath.
The reason I say this is because they obviously have developed many unique spells probably like the spellweavers but were allowed to be hunted to near extinction by Mystra's Chosen and those who work with the Chosen. I know the Shadovar were a major part in this but it appears Mystra decided to choose between two recently returned/unbound magic powerhouses and choose to deal with Shadovar than the phaerimm.
Am I on to something?"
Ed replies:

You are indeed. Mystra wants her servants to encourage ever-wider use of magic, and the development of the Art. Which includes working AGAINST magic-using individuals who oppress others with magic (i.e. wizards who kill off many other wizards and apprentices to "remove competition" - - as opposed to a wizard who slays a lone rival mage in a war or feud). The phaerimm became the ultimate example of "those who kill off others" with their lifedrains: they were killing all life that came within reach, indiscriminately, and ultimately endangering the world itself (if not stopped). So Mystra wanted them stopped. Not exterminated, so a few surviving phaerimm who never use lifedrain magics will be tolerated . . . but yes, Mystra withdrew her favour and kindly regard from the phaerimm.

So saith Ed. Creator of Mystra, the phaerimm, the Chosen, and the lifedrain spell, too.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  16:24:06  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Hi, Ed. I've been hearing rumors of your involvement in various upcoming anthologies, both writing and editing (!). Rather than pose pointed questions that you may be ethically or legally bound not to answer, I merely ask:
What CAN you tell us about your upcoming publications?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  16:27:25  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Uh-oh! No, Ed, say nothing at all about our little project. Yet.

Hi, folks. Nothing at all to see here, no siree . . .
Just move along, now, move along . . .
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  16:30:54  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
In a campaign I'm playing in, a ship is about to sail to Tharsult, and the captain wants to purchase a cargo to resell there of popular but not very expensive for him to buy (so, no rarities) drinkables.
What popular, keep-well-for-transport, fairly valuable drinkables could be had in Neverwinter, that would sell well in Tharsult?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  18:15:15  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

What popular, keep-well-for-transport, fairly valuable drinkables could be had in Neverwinter, that would sell well in Tharsult?

*is going to watch this one closely*

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  21:43:10  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
So, there's a sidequest in Pools of Darkness, where Alusair is hunting Raksahas in Myth Drannor (in 1350). This is when she was 15. In Ed's view, how plausible is that scenario...? Could she have been sent with a retinue of Purple Dragons to do this sort of thing? Since in 7 more years she almost wedded off and then kidnapped by the Fire Knives, it sort of seems like she's goes down hill before becoming the steel regent.
Go to Top of Page

X_Ice_X
Acolyte

Portugal
20 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  22:47:04  Show Profile  Visit X_Ice_X's Homepage Send X_Ice_X a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, and as I enjoy being ridden, saddle me up!
Ahem.
As for Askavar: I don't think Ed ever wrote much lore about it, but he does have a page or two that's unpublished that I've seen in his study. (Years back; it may be deeply buried by now - - or he may be able to grandly present it here, shortly after your query reaches him. We'll see . . .
love,
THO

Hello Hooded One, sorry to bring this once again to first page but I saw no answer to it and there is a parallel topic regarding Askavar that seems to grow in interest, and sometimes things just get forsaken in the middle of a bunch of questions.

Thanks in advance.

Keryn
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  01:56:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
If you do a web-search of Askavar, you'll find two mentions of it by Goerge Krashos (who should feel free to chime-in here), one a rejected article of his that is on the L-List, and the other in an off-hand comment in a thread here. VERY brief and undetailed mentions, I might add.

There is also a mention in the 'Ask ed' 2008 thread, but since I don't know how to do that site-specific web search, and the search engine here is running on hamsters in a tread-wheel (and won't give a specific page), and I don't feel like reading through that entire thread again (despite how absolutely delicious it is), anyone with the time or search-fu can find out if any other info was given in 2008.

My best-guess it was one of those hundreds (thousands?) of 'loose ends' Ed was so fond of sprinkling liberally throughout his Realms, left for himself or any other GM to detail as they wish if it became an area of interest.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jul 2010 01:57:00
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  02:33:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Keryn, Ed does (or did) have a short writeup of Askavar in his original (pre-TSR "published Realms") notes. I have no idea if he can find those two pages I once saw. Or if he's free to share them with us. However, he DID tell me he'd go looking, when I sent the original request to him. Nudging him doesn't help it "come back" any faster; Ed's own schedule (remember, he's easily as busy as ANY two full-time-employed entrepreneurs you might now, only without any staff or big salaries to smooth his daily operational way - - and he DID lose last Saturday to a wedding he was determined not to miss) plus Ed's legal obligations (NDAs) are what determine his response times.
So hang in there. Knowing Ed, I suspect we'll see something after his coming weekend, when he has a day free to really rummage in his boxes and files of old Realmslore.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  02:36:09  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Is there anything in Ed's reams and reams of Realmslore about heraldry (if any) in Amn? IS there heraldry in Amn, beyond the "badges" of trading costers and other companies?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  03:00:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring a lore reply from Ed of the Greenwood, in response to this, from Rhewtani: “So, there's a sidequest in Pools of Darkness, where Alusair is hunting Raksahas in Myth Drannor (in 1350). This is when she was 15. In Ed's view, how plausible is that scenario...? Could she have been sent with a retinue of Purple Dragons to do this sort of thing? Since in 7 more years she almost wedded off and then kidnapped by the Fire Knives, it sort of seems like she's goes down hill before becoming the steel regent.”
Ed replies:

Hi. Well, there’s plausible and then there’s plausible. Alusair was a VERY rebellious teen; what we saw of her in my KNIGHTS OF MYTH DRANNOR trilogy (in 1348 DR, when she was 13) was just the beginning of her really “busting out” into defying Vangerdahast, her father the king, and just about everyone else short of her mother Filfaeril (whom she avoided, so as to escape being given specific orders and prohibitions she might feel the need to break). Alusair is the ultimate “tomboy.” Reckless and foolhardy, yes, but unlike her older sister Tanalasta, who was largely sheltered from the world, Alusair really LEARNED about Cormyr and surrounding lands and “the way the world really is” (just as her father Azoun had done, with Vangerdahast, as seen briefly in CORMYR: A NOVEL). Remember: Tanalasta was the heir; Alusair was the “spare,” and was allowed to develop into a different sort of asset to the kingdom: a war-leader who soon romanced the younger sons of most of the noble houses, binding them to herself in a personal loyalty that largely overcame their parents’ traditional resistance to the royal house.
I would strongly disagree with a view that she went “down hill.” That’s like looking back on your worst teenaged mistakes and judging the course of your life from them and only them. She made blunders, yes, and endangered herself (and by extension, the realm), yes - - but Azoun did worse, and the great majority of his subjects LOVED him for it.
I believe that if you read the novel CRUSADE by James Lowder, you’ll form a somewhat different view of the young Alusair than you seem to hold.
The young Alusair could definitely have gone hunting in foreign lands, particularly wilderlands not governed by a strong rulership that is a rival of Cormyr, and would have been accompanied by as many Purple Dragons as the Highknights and War Wizards assigned to protect her hide could have managed to send along.
However, she wouldn’t have been “sent” on any such foray, and no, she wouldn’t have been allowed to go anywhere as risky and as politically sensitive as Myth Drannor at the time, much less hunt rakshasas. However, she might well have twisted an “allowed” expedition to see the dales (avoiding Archendale and places under Zhent influence, like Daggerdale and Voonlar) into such a foray, yes - - but that’s more “Alusair at 17 or 19” behaviour, rather than what her 15-year-old self would have dared.
And I’d be very careful about judging any of those two generations of royals except Azoun by what relatively little we have seen of them, thus far. It’s somewhat akin to trying to judge, say, JFK by seeing footage of two of his public speeches and then his assassination, without ever learning anything else (about his childhood, family background, schooling, the private character of the man that only his friends saw, etc.).
I hope this helps. Feel free to pose more queries about these Obarskyrs. The chances to tell their tales are slipping away, and they really are fascinating people.
I’ll slide in a little hint, here: you may read some more of Alusair’s utterances in print, fairly soon.

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, Cormyr, Azoun, Alusair, Tanalasta, Filfaeril, Vangerdahast, the War Wizards, the Highknights . . . and LOTS more, of course.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  03:05:06  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

<snip>
I’ll slide in a little hint, here: you may read some more of Alusair’s utterances in print, fairly soon.

I'd ask for more on this, but I feel a NDA lurking in the shadows, ready to pounce.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  03:06:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again.
Jakk, what George Krashos posted in response to you, a page back in this thread, is dead-on correct. (That's not just from me, that's from Ed.) It's a case of "what TSR asked for and received, they own the rights to," so that Ed CAN'T just republish it here.
We do very elaborate NDA dances so as not to endanger Candlekeep but still try to answer interested scribes as fully as we can.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  03:12:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ashe, I'm going to dare to "buff" Ed's hint a little: I'm guessing that an alert reader of Realmslore shouldn't have to wait more than, say, a month to see those utterances.
Sigh.
I'm about as mysterious and subtle as a punch in the nose.
Ah, well, at least I'm bad.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  03:48:17  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

Ashe, I'm going to dare to "buff" Ed's hint a little: I'm guessing that an alert reader of Realmslore shouldn't have to wait more than, say, a month to see those utterances.
Sigh.
I'm about as mysterious and subtle as a punch in the nose.
Ah, well, at least I'm bad.
love,
THO

Just remember, milady:
"When I'm good I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better."

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  03:59:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ohh, Ashe, Yessssssss. You know how to make a girl purr . . .

hot wet love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  04:13:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  08:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

If you do a web-search of Askavar, you'll find two mentions of it by Goerge Krashos (who should feel free to chime-in here), one a rejected article of his that is on the L-List, and the other in an off-hand comment in a thread here. VERY brief and undetailed mentions, I might add.
The one here is in the Question About Bladesinger scroll.
quote:
There is also a mention in the 'Ask ed' 2008 thread, but since I don't know how to do that site-specific web search, and the search engine here is running on hamsters in a tread-wheel (and won't give a specific page), and I don't feel like reading through that entire thread again (despite how absolutely delicious it is), anyone with the time or search-fu can find out if any other info was given in 2008.
I'm not sure if it even contains the word "Askavar" when it was discussed in that scroll. That is probably why searching for it is problematic.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  13:15:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
I really enjoyed Ed's newest Eye on the Realms. It has Cormyr and Waterdeep Lore in it.

I started reading Kingless Land! OMG what a good read.

What other books are in this series?(I figure Sage will answer this one...)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  13:34:48  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I really enjoyed Ed's newest Eye on the Realms. It has Cormyr and Waterdeep Lore in it.

The Vacant Throne
A Dragon's Ascension
The Dragon's Doom
The Silent House

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  15:51:53  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Dear Fair Lady THO & Lord Ed....can you tell me the names of Uvaeren's first two coronals????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  16:39:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

The Vacant Throne
A Dragon's Ascension
The Dragon's Doom
The Silent House

Thanks!

I really want to read up on Silvertree Manor, or The Silent House...
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  17:42:43  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
I think it's the way she was portrayed in the Curse of the Azure Bonds adventure that paled my image of her. Thank you for the tidbits there that have me thinking of a better way to fit Alusair into a Pools of Darkness adventure that I'm trying to put together.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000