Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  04:18:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I may just be old-age, but I remember this being brought-up recently, and it was stated (somewhere) that the Sea of Corynactis is possibly on Abeir.

Of course, Mr. Schend did not have that in mind - ti was a 'loose end', but one that works rather well in the new scheme of things.

I'm nearly 100% positive it wasn't Ed who made the off-hand comment - he is the last person to set anything in stone in a 4e world (except in an official artical, where he is being paid to do so). IIRC, it was either Brian or Steven - more likely Brian - but it really could have been anyone, my memory being what it is these days. Maybe even George in regards to the GHotR.

But I am sure someone did suggest it, though; I remember that I rather liked the way that worked out.

I really like that idea... not the first time I've said that about one of MarkusTay's ideas, I know, but if the idea's good... ...in my Realms, Abeir is on the other side of Toril's orbital plane, similar to John Norman's Gor... and if the Sea of Corynactis is on Abeir, it would suggest that the shalarin's "gods" are in fact primordials, which would explain why they couldn't follow... and also why the shalarin abandoned their worship.

By way of a question for Ed (and thus keeping this post on topic)... were the shalarin your creation, Ed, or are they all Steven's fault? They're one of the more cryptic races in the Realms, which is probably why they interest me so much. Also, if the shalarin came from you originally, is there anything more you can share about them that is neither published nor under NDA?

As always, many thanks to you both, Ed and milady Hooded One.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 30 May 2010 04:20:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29784 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  05:59:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd haunt some of the more popular trading card auction sites as well... like those for the old 90's X-Men series. I often see a few of the old TSR cards coming up for offer and, sometimes, at respectable asking prices too.

I had all of the X-Men cards, too...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  08:41:36  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I think the important thing about the card was that it was signed by Ed. I wonder... if I were to get those cards (which seems easy enough if they're up on e-bay for sale), could I somehow get Ed to sign the El card for my friend? I'd be willing to pay postage to get it over there and back. (Yes, this friend is real... this is not for myself! )

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  08:58:50  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd haunt some of the more popular trading card auction sites as well... like those for the old 90's X-Men series. I often see a few of the old TSR cards coming up for offer and, sometimes, at respectable asking prices too.

I had all of the X-Men cards, too...

I still do -- Series I and II. I even had a signed ultra-foil hologram card of Magneto that was signed by Jim Lee. Can't find it now, of course, after multiple moves. But it was once the prized piece of my collection.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  16:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
Was the Alashar Crywinds question adressed to the correct sage of Candlekeep?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  17:06:05  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Was the Alashar Crywinds question adressed to the correct sage of Candlekeep?

Ed *might* be able to share a little info -- NDAs pending, of course. Though I'd recommend you also ask on the Wizards boards. I'd imagine some of the 4e designers might be able to give you some perspective on her as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13379 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  17:14:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

I really like that idea... <snip>

Considering that Abeir and Toril are really two 'halves' of the same world, it is easy to define that passage in the GHotR as being 'metaphorical'.

Not saying that's what it was, but they sure as heck missed a golden opportunity there, connecting the new Abeir concept with some older lore. In fact, nearly everything previously about the Shalarin points to them being from another world, so that GHotR entry almost seems counter-intuitive.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 May 2010 17:16:47
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  17:15:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.

Zireael, I concur with Sage: Ed MIGHT be able to provide some lore, but by all means ask elsewhere. Ed does have a huge backlog of questions, and it never hurts to cast your asking net widely.

Zandilar, I'm not sure just which Elminster card signed (there was a Promo Card for the original DRAGON cards, there were some specials, there were at least two Spellfire-game cards, and so on. I know Ed doesn't have copies of most of them. But I DO know that if a card reaches Ed by mail, he happily signs and returns it, without charging a fee or expecting anyone to pay for the return postage (a return ADDRESS is always nice ). So by all means . . . and if it doesn't turn up, just get me an address by PM or e-mail, and Ed will send something (e.g. a chapbook copy of his first Realms tale, which are the original, primitive Ed photocopy-and-staple affairs).

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  18:17:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jakk, I believe the shalarin are all Steven's babies, not Ed's. I of course await confirmation from both esteemed creators, but I'm pretty sure.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  00:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Zandilar, I'm not sure just which Elminster card signed (there was a Promo Card for the original DRAGON cards, there were some specials, there were at least two Spellfire-game cards, and so on. I know Ed doesn't have copies of most of them. But I DO know that if a card reaches Ed by mail, he happily signs and returns it, without charging a fee or expecting anyone to pay for the return postage (a return ADDRESS is always nice ). So by all means . . . and if it doesn't turn up, just get me an address by PM or e-mail, and Ed will send something (e.g. a chapbook copy of his first Realms tale, which are the original, primitive Ed photocopy-and-staple affairs).

Excellent... Now to put my plan to surprise my friend in motion. *rubs hands together gleefully*

Where might I find a postal address for Ed? (I need to buy the card(s) first, and it might take some time for them/it to get here (from where ever they've been bought on e-bay), but I'll need that address eventually...)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  22:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I have a request for Ed that might be "over the line," but I'd really love it if Ed could in some future Realms fiction include a description of what it feels like to be hit with a hostile spell. (Magic STARTING to affect you, "from the inside.") Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  22:51:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Blueblade, I don't think that's over the line at all. First person, you mean?
I'll send your query off to Ed!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  01:40:50  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Okay, crazy question time. I have in a storyline
a alignment changed deepspawn spewing out elves.
Now, these elves are obviously not normal. Do other
elves feel through the "communal empathy" or through
the Weave that these elves aren't elves born naturally,
or due they touch the "communal mind" or the elves
and the Weave in the same way that natural elves?
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Learned Scribe

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  02:58:00  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message
Hello Ed and friends of the Realms,

I have been working on a large campaign centred around the city of Calaunt and surrounds (The Vast), and I am curious know more about Calaunts rulers, the Merchant Dukes.

Q.1 - When and how did Bellas' Band gain control of Calaunt?

Q.2 - The FR Adventures source book (2E), states that some of the members are of NG alignment which seems to conflict with Calaunts reputation of being a fey place controlled by greedy evil adventurers. I have considered changing those alignments but the mix can make for some very interesting ideas. Is there conflict between the Merchant Dukes?

I'd be most grateful if these questions can be answered. Thankyou :)
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  22:30:06  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
Hello Ed, THO, scribes.

I hate to add to what must be Ed's already staggeringly vast workload, but 'tis a small one
I just wondered if there are some herbs, plants or roots with magical properties that would grow exclusively in The High Forest?
If you have too many of them, a few would suffice

-Stig-
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  01:46:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed's wildly busy but I'm firing off your posts to him, and he's been acknowledging receiving them.
Yes, Auzoros, Ed confirms that those alignments are correct and that there is conflict among the Merchant Dukes. Details to follow when he can get to them (he's on the home stretch of an Elminster novel right now!).

althen artren, Ed says:
those deepspawn-produced elves would function normally and wouldn't be obviously recognizable as "odd." However, in the same way that you might well become suspicious when holding four or five apparently genuine $20 bills that have the exact same serial number, or confronting four or five elves who are PERFECTLY IDENTICAL, there is always the chance of someone "smelling a rat." Figuring out that a deepspawn involved might not be easy, however. Remember, the spawned elves don't know they're different; they're not "conspirators keeping a shared secret."

Jakk, confirmation from Ed: the shalarin are Steven's creations, not Ed's. Ed likes them, but had no hand in crafting them.

So saith Ed. More coming in his next e-mail...
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 02 Jun 2010 01:48:06
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  05:26:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

<snip>he's on the home stretch of an Elminster novel right now!<snip>

Everyone be quiet and let the man finish! There'll be plenty of time after the novel's done!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Learned Scribe

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  07:54:20  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

<snip>he's on the home stretch of an Elminster novel right now!<snip>

Everyone be quiet and let the man finish! There'll be plenty of time after the novel's done!

LOL...how can argue with that. Go Ed!!

And thank you Hooded One
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  15:38:21  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Dear Dreamy Lady THO?????.....Braceldaur?????? Flooded Forest???? Hmmmmmmm smoooch smoooch.......

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  16:20:29  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hey, now! WE don't have to be quiet. We just ask the lovely Lady Hooded not to shuttle our questions off to Ed quite so swiftly or frequently.
Let them pile up here, instead. After all, we do have this lovely thread for just that reason.
And perhaps, just perhaps, this might be the right occasion to flirt wXXX er, ask THO to answer more queries herself.
Questions posed to her, I mean.
Like this one:
Have you tried any other FRP rules systems over the years besides D&D? Has Ed tried any of them in the Realms? Or are rules so subservient to unfolding story that it hasn't really mattered?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  16:23:48  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
I agree with Blueblade. Let the questioning proceed, with THO at the fore!
Dear Lady, do you ever dabble in computer games (I'm thinking now of the games bought and installed on "your" computer, and played alone, rather than online play)?
If so, what would YOU want to see in the way of a Realm-based game of that sort? What's your "dream game" in terms of style of play, areas/settings covered, protagonists and antagonists?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  16:26:05  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Well, I've got a much simpler one:
THO, is Ed a farmer? I've heard some talk of it, but having a little familiarity with farming, I don't see how he could have the time to farm AND produce the huge flood of books, game products, short stories, yadda yadda. Oh, yeah, AND have a day job behind a library desk.
Inquiring minds want to know everything, as usual...
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  16:29:47  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Glad you mentioned Ed and libraries, Malcolm.
I have a question: are any lurking readers of, or posters in, this thread Ed's co-workers at the library, or past co-workers, or participants in his library D&D campaigns?
Obviously, you're only going to pipe up if you want to, so I don't think this is prying overmuch.
I just want to know more about these library mini-campaigns Ed used to run (the Company of the Stag, the Company of the Unicorn). Cormyr and the Dales used to see a lot of visiting novice adventurers.
Oh, and Waterdeep, too, I think.
I'd love to read some posts here, and when Ed surfaces, get his reactions/responses!
LL
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  00:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I played in one Ed-DM'd library campaign, years back, at Brookbanks . . . and I THINK the Knights started as a Don Mills Library campaign, Ed's wife even sitting in to play Jhessail for a bit.
THO? Ed?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Learned Scribe

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  02:55:01  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Auzoros

Hello Ed and friends of the Realms,

I have been working on a large campaign centred around the city of Calaunt and surrounds (The Vast), and I am curious know more about Calaunts rulers, the Merchant Dukes.

Q.1 - When and how did Bellas' Band gain control of Calaunt?

Q.2 - The FR Adventures source book (2E), states that some of the members are of NG alignment which seems to conflict with Calaunts reputation of being a fey place controlled by greedy evil adventurers. I have considered changing those alignments but the mix can make for some very interesting ideas. Is there conflict between the Merchant Dukes?

I'd be most grateful if these questions can be answered. Thankyou :)

I'd like to add one more question if I may.

In converting Iritar "the Dark" to 3.5E, im curious to know if he has taken on a prestige class and if so which one? Finally, what level (CR) would he be in the year 1372 DR?

Ok that's it for me. Thank you!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000