Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  17:18:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well, no, actually.
Ed was all about showing off the ENTIRE Realms, so DMs would early on really feel what it was like to have steamy jungles AND howling glaciers, pirates in the tropics and grim northern warriors, etc etc ad infinitum.
Ed would have given us a Mirt doing nasty mercantile swindling in the streets and back alleys novel, a Dabron Sashenstar exploring hitherto unchartered wilderness novel, a novel from the point of view of elder dragons trying to fight off human incursions into their domains novel, a dwarves fighting internally to either promote or resist change that's being forced upon them by humans, a "what life is like down in Undermountain" novel, a "traitor amongst The Simbul's apprentices" novel, a "growing up as an enslaved, beautiful, ambitious female in Thay" novel, and so on and on.
Yes, ALL of those were outlined in Ed's plans. Ed never intended the Realms to be a place of signature characters and concentrating on the Knights or anyone else. He wanted it more like Terry Pratchett's Discworld, where recurring characters can show up in any book, but each book tells a story all its own.
Sigh.
So much lost . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  17:33:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Agreed. Be still my heart as I contemplate all those potential novels...

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  20:19:59  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
*Snip*
the Knights arrived at the Old Skull Inn, chatted with the staff, got jumped by Zhent undercover agents (who'd been in the taproom) that night in their rooms, survived, ...
Then came SPELLFIRE . . .
love to all,
THO

*Many snips*

Did you leave a good tip? If not, could that have been the impetus for an entire campaign?

Former bartender, just checking!

"Saving a life, though regrettable, is a small price to pay for a whole lifetime of unfettered killing."
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  20:38:00  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

uncovering a were-creature that was murdering villagers as part of that census,

I actually borrowed that one for a one on one adventure years ago. It was quite a battle in the festhall with Florin and the PC desperately tried to get hold of a silver cake knife which was the only usable weapon available to them that could affect the were. They thought they were looking for a zenth agent and that the girl would give them a lead.

That was one of my favourite adventures ever.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  21:44:56  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Agreed. Be still my heart as I contemplate all those potential novels...

I agree.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  23:25:59  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ah, but beautiful lady, you left out the unwritten novel Ed used to talk about all the time at GenCon seminars: the one from the outcast mind flayer's POV, the adventurer using the memories stolen from victims to track down treasures, but getting increasingly self-disgusted at living such an existence.
THAT was the one that made my dad, who took me to my first GenCon, open his eyes wide and say, "So this isn't just kid's stuff. Guess we'll come back next year."
He wrote to TSR, asking them to let Ed write that book, but I'm thinking they never even forwarded the letter to Ed, let alone put the book on the schedule.
If we'd had all those books right at the beginning of the Realms, one a year, it would have painted the tapestry so wide and deep...
Sigh.
(Now I know why THO types that word so often.)

BB
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  04:38:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
All the Lore we don't even know about...

Sigh.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  06:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message
Dear Mr. Greenwood. I love the Realms you created and grateful for making such great persons in this world. I have a question about Elminster.

Code of the Harpers says that the Harpers to maintain their membership must make some compositions or poems at least once per year. How many of such the Elminster made for all his life? If he did, were they good or not? Or he have some kind of free off charge privilege? Or he have unofficial membership

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 04 May 2010 07:45:07
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  15:42:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Sill Alias, I bring this swift reply from Ed:

Hi! Well met, and thanks for the great question. Although no one was ever going to boot El (a founding member) from the Harpers for lack of creative output, the Old Mage did (and still does!) scribble chapbook potboilers (very good for their type, which we real-world types might term "overblown pulp fiction derring-do adventure") and poetry (most of which is TERRIBLE). El does have a knack for satirical parody poetry, however, which because of its meter lends itself to use as replacement song lyrics, and some of those efforts on his part are quite good (and have seen lasting popularity in the Realms, though almost no one knows who composed them). One example: the Cormyrean song "Our King Azoun," which has such lyrics as "Our King Azoun is a bold bold soul..." but got transformed into "Our King Azoun is a randy dandy goat..." El has also composed a handful of tunes, some of them pleasant but generally uninspired - - and he's been doing it for long enough that he's produced thousands of poems, a play or two (again, vicious satires are his forte), about a dozen tunes, and forty or fifty sets of parody lyrics, all told. Not to mention some sixty chapbooks, ranging from tender romances to action epics, but predominantly there aforesaid pulp adventure.

So saith Ed. Outlining the stellar literary career of the Sage of Shadowdale.
We're here all week, folks; try the fish!

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  16:02:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
So, what you're saying is that Elminster is the Weird "El" Yankovic of the Realms.

I KNEW IT!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 04 May 2010 16:02:38
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  16:13:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
(Enters stage left, eyes downcast, in a black cowled robe. Looks up at audience, and intones gravely:)

And Ashe was never seen again.

(Bows head again, walks to center stage, looks up once more.)

It is a heavy price that seekers of the truth pay for the rest of us, when they learn dark truths. Join me in a moment of reflection on the brave, uncompromising career of the scribe known as Ashe Ravenheart . . .

Joke. Just for those who aren't getting it. JOKE.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  17:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
No! Don't joke! We want the chance to get taken by you as well! Why does he get lucky? Take me, milady, take me!
I recall a scene in Blackstaff where Elminster quoted a 'prophecy' he wrote in a chapbook in Myth Drannor... he joked that some people thought it referred to Bane.
Since Ed has been in our world, has he brought some plays from our world to Faerun? If so, under whose name did he publish them? The true name, and alias, or himself?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  20:12:59  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

That's correct, and in the years between the end of THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS and the beginning of SPELLFIRE, the Knights...<snippety for brievety>

Ah, good to know I did not miss anything, you know, important ;P.

Btw most of Eds novel plans CAN still be written... I'm just saying.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  20:48:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

dfemling
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  23:16:54  Show Profile  Visit dfemling's Homepage Send dfemling a Private Message
Good day Sir ED and Lady THO, it has been awhile from my last post so i hope life is treating you well. This time my question concerns the area around Waterdeep, roughly 0-25 miles or so and about 1372dr and before.

The question is what a traveler sees on his /her approach to waterdeep. I have a feeling you see farm lands with little hamlets and maybe some estates owned by the nobles. In my game I wish to create an estate house for my characters and have been viewing photos from my time in Germany and France. Also if my players are interested are the castle allowed to be built there and if so who holds the rights to these lands, and what kind of cost would we be thinking...Give me that +5 sword and you can have such and so land type thing?

Thank you for your time, and once again thank you for this amazing playground :)

Also if it is not too much to ask what type of buildings are we looking at, is there a trend for secret passages and fortified cellars maybe with battle maze or teleport magic entering the equation?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  03:00:50  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
When you say "approach to Waterdeep" how close do you mean?
I ask because several lore sources speak of the land immediately around the city being kept as open meadows for caravans to camp/assemble/disassemble, and for the nobles to hawk in, and citizens to walk and eat (picnic) lunches in (see the CITY OF SPLENDORS novel, the Environs of Waterdeep DRAGON article, VOLO'S GUIDE TO THE SWORD COAST, and Ed's "New Adventures of Volo" column in DRAGON, specifically the instalment about the maid they chase).
We know that a day's ride out from the walls that there are villages and hamlets on the roads (with stables for Waterdeep's patrols to secure remounts in) and that from there outwards there are indeed noble "country holds," usually centered around a walled mansion or keep. And yes, it's verdant farmland/grassland (ranching land).
I very much doubt Waterdeep is going to welcome strangers arriving and building full-sized castles anywhere near the city, though...and castles take a LONG time to build, so they'll have ample opportunity to halt construction or just have Watchful Order magists blast the a-building stonework to rubble (again and again, until the builder gets the message).
I'm not trying to horn in and speak for THO or Ed here, it's just that this is a topic that came up repeatedly at GenCon seminars (I'm thinking a lot of players wanted to establish "adventurers' bases" for their PCs outside the city's reach, for Waterdeep-focused campaigns), and I've heard Ed give answers to it many a time...hence all the stuff I've said above.
So, as Ed would say, hope this is of help.
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 05 May 2010 03:05:28
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  15:32:14  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:

That's correct, and in the years between the end of THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS and the beginning of SPELLFIRE, the Knights arrived at the Old Skull Inn, chatted with the staff, got jumped by Zhent undercover agents (who'd been in the taproom) that night in their rooms, survived, claimed the Twisted Tower (which involved fighting Zhents and drow through it, and cleansing it, then delving into the cellars and down into the drow-infested caverns and tunnels connected to the cellars), and tried to settle down to ruling Shadowdale. Which meant winning over a frightened, Zhent-harrassed, surly populace, fighting off three Zhent armed forays from Voonlar (and then carrying the fight to the Zhents in Voonlar), establishing laws and local constables and a militia, doing a census (results of which are in the original "Old Grey Box" Realms boxed set), uncovering a were-creature that was murdering villagers as part of that census, then having all sorts of adventures (including fighting drow at Castle Grimstead, battling local Zhent agents like Erek the Alchemist [who was using both poison and bombs against Harpers and anyone else hampering Zhent plots], going up against The Temple In The Sky after fighting the giants in the nearby Tower, and finally deciding that Doust should rule as Lord while the rest of the Knights went adventuring, both to curb growing demon and devil troubles emanating from Myth Drannor [where we finally succeeded in closing a gate to the "darker planes" that was letting devils flood into the Realms], and to act as Shadowdale's envoys throughout the Dales. The attempt was to cooperate with Mistledale (sucessful) and other dales (less successful) in fighting off the Zhents. The Zhents were busy (in Yulash and other places) fighting off Hillsfar's growing ambitions, and the Dales were also being pressured by Sembia; interests there were "buying up and moving in" all over the Dales, conquering without armed invasion...and the Knights ended up caught in the middle trying to finesse all of these competing interests.
love to all,
THO

Amazing that they survived all that. The lot I remembered from the books barely escaped being slaughtered more times than I can count.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  16:18:31  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
quote:

That's correct, and in the years between the end of THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS and the beginning of SPELLFIRE, the Knights ...

Wonderful Hooded Lady I must thank you for the excellent overview of the Knights during that time period.

We all know you as one of Ed's players but just the way you worded your experience there emphasized it so. It was similar in cadence and depth to how my players recount my home realms campaign to friends in passing or at a party.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  17:25:30  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,

I asked the following question already here in the Keep and the scribes here had some really great ideas, but I was wondering what you have to say about this.

One of the characters in my 4e campaign wants to restore the Weave. How could she accomplish this? Also, how would the surviving chosen (and possibly Larloch) react? And if she was to succeed how would it effect the damage done by the Spellplague.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  17:47:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, you touch upon a matter that has been discussed and even (secretly) designed for...as a hypothetical, you understand. I'm not sure how much Ed will be able to reveal of what's been decided, but I'll forward your question to him.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  18:18:58  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:

Ah, you touch upon a matter that has been discussed and even (secretly) designed for...as a hypothetical, you understand. I'm not sure how much Ed will be able to reveal of what's been decided, but I'll forward your question to him.
love,
THO

I'll look forward to a possible response, as this seems interesting

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  19:29:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Might I ask why anyone (in charge) would feel this was such a good idea, when it obviously seemed like such a peachy-keen idea to destroy the weave just 2 years ago?

Are we going back to 'Old Coke' already?

Hated the continuity reboots in comics, but didn't mind so much in Star Trek. Sometimes it can save a franchise, and sometimes it just seems lame. from the Ashes for Greyhawk was just awful, IMHO.

But seeing a reset going back to the date of the old gray box, with new art work (maps!) and someone capable handling the continuity (Krash) would be awesome. You can accomplish both easily enough - Use chronomancy to go back and stop the sundering, thus changing the world (in other words, anything goes), and you get the weave back. 'Brave new World' and reboot to the old gray box date - its a win-win. You keep everything that was good (and worked), and get rid of everything silly (or redundant).

I can dream, can't I?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 May 2010 19:30:26
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  20:23:04  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

love,
THO

Might I ask why anyone (in charge) would feel this was such a good idea, when it obviously seemed like such a peachy-keen idea to destroy the weave just 2 years ago?

Are we going back to 'Old Coke' already?

Hated the continuity reboots in comics, but didn't mind so much in Star Trek. Sometimes it can save a franchise, and sometimes it just seems lame. from the Ashes for Greyhawk was just awful, IMHO.

But seeing a reset going back to the date of the old gray box, with new art work (maps!) and someone capable handling the continuity (Krash) would be awesome. You can accomplish both easily enough - Use chronomancy to go back and stop the sundering, thus changing the world (in other words, anything goes), and you get the weave back. 'Brave new World' and reboot to the old gray box date - its a win-win. You keep everything that was good (and worked), and get rid of everything silly (or redundant).

I can dream, can't I?

Dream on bro, dream on...

It could also be that those that had the bright idea to kill Mystra, and destroy the Weave are no-longer at WotC. So those idea's don't have much traction anymore.

Maybe the yearly lay-offs at WotC are a good thing? Just Kidding, no one should lose their job around Christmas, or anytime of the year.

Mystra will be back in time for 5E...

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 05 May 2010 20:24:22
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  00:12:52  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message
Personally I hope they dont do a "reboot". One of the things ive always loved about the Realms is that its always changing, like a real world would. I dont like all the changes to 4e Realms obviously, and I think the 100 year time jump was extreme, they could of gone with 10 or something, but things do change and people die, thats life, even in the Realms.

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  00:49:03  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
well if they did a reboot, maybe they will leave the 4e realms as a possibility of what may happen.

make for some interesting time traveling adventures

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  00:59:42  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

*pounces on the hint of Mystra's return* *puts it in a file marked TWO*

Twice in the last year... Hmmm... this isn't coincidence is it?

I do actually have some questions which fall in the hazy grey area between of 3e and 4e Realms. I'm asking them out of curiosity (and because my current group of now Epic PCs have waded into this up to their hips (or necks... or even over their heads...)).

In 1374 DR, at Midsummer, Sunlord Daelegoth Orndeir casts an Epic spell, Amaunator's Eternal Sun, that causes a false Sun to appear to be forever overhead (as if it were always noon) in Elversult. It seems that this lasts at least until the Spellplague starts, as it is not mentioned again in tGHotR. What happened next? There's about 10ish years between that event and the last date in tGHotR. I can't see that this would be something everyone in Elversult would be pleased with (in fact, I can't see why Yanseldara stood for it at all in the first place!), as not everyone is a fanatic of the Risen Sun Heresy. What kind of effects did this have on the people, the city and surrounds? I can only see it being a complete disaster. The way the spell is described, by the way, implies that the spell created sun sheds heat like the true sun. This means that Elversult effectively has two suns during the day part of the day, since I don't think it blocks the true sun out. I don't think 10 years is long enough for an entire city (people, animals, plants, and all) to properly adapt to that. These things just don't happen overnight... err... wait...

Were there any consequences for the Sunlord personally? How did the general population of Elversult react to the would be converts turning up in their city?

Anyway, another question is: What effects, if any, did the Spellplague have on Amaunator's Eternal Sun?

In my game, which I mentioned above, Yanseldara asked the Epic Level PCs to try to stop the Sunlord's spell, saying she couldn't act openly because of the number of converts in the city in high places, and didn't want to provoke a coup. Next session, the PCs have to work out how to disrupt the spell without killing any innocents, and without implicating Yanseldara in their actions... Wish them luck... (They're as subtle as bulls in a china shop, I must say, so I can only see them killing the Sunlord to end this.)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 06 May 2010 01:02:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  01:05:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The_Silversword

Personally I hope they dont do a "reboot". One of the things ive always loved about the Realms is that its always changing, like a real world would. I dont like all the changes to 4e Realms obviously, and I think the 100 year time jump was extreme, they could of gone with 10 or something, but things do change and people die, thats life, even in the Realms.

I've always liked the fact that the Realms is a dynamic and changing setting, myself, and I certainly don't want to see it become static... But there was plenty of potential for change without going as far as the published setting went. In the earlier days of the published Realms, we had plenty of change without blowing up the setting every other week. WotC could have gone back in that direction, but instead opted for the Hollywood approach, where everything has to be bigger than what came before.

I think a Star Trek-style reboot of the setting could do a lot of great things, but I'm not sure WotC would want to go in that direction.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  01:06:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

In 1374 DR, at Midsummer, Sunlord Daelegoth Orndeir casts an Epic spell, Amaunator's Eternal Sun, that causes a false Sun to appear to be forever overhead (as if it were always noon) in Elversult. It seems that this lasts at least until the Spellplague starts, as it is not mentioned again in tGHotR. What happened next? There's about 10ish years between that event and the last date in tGHotR. I can't see that this would be something everyone in Elversult would be pleased with (in fact, I can't see why Yanseldara stood for it at all in the first place!), as not everyone is a fanatic of the Risen Sun Heresy. What kind of effects did this have on the people, the city and surrounds? I can only see it being a complete disaster. The way the spell is described, by the way, implies that the spell created sun sheds heat like the true sun. This means that Elversult effectively has two suns during the day part of the day, since I don't think it blocks the true sun out. I don't think 10 years is long enough for an entire city (people, animals, plants, and all) to properly adapt to that. These things just don't happen overnight... err... wait...

I'm curious about that, meself. My first thought, on reading that bit, was to ponder what that would do to the environment.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 May 2010 01:08:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  01:24:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Mystra will be back in time for 5E...

Which would tie in nicely with the actual reality of Mystra and her Chosen. As we saw in the "Shadow of the Avatar" books and elsewhere, Mystra's Chosen retain part of her divine power, which is the silver fire [see e.g. The Seven Sisters pg. 6], upon her death, so that Mystra/the Weave can be reconstructed.

Easily explained for 5e. It just took "that long" for the Lady of Mysteries to finally get her act back together.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  01:26:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

well if they did a reboot, maybe they will leave the 4e realms as a possibility of what may happen.
Interestingly, this is why the concept of the 4e Realms and the post-Spellplague era don't bother me as much any more. And hasn't for almost a year-and-a-half now. Because, being a long-time Marvel fan, I can appreciate the opportunities that come with the "What-If?" scenario. Thus, I usually interpret the 4e Realms to be a possible example of such a scenario. In this case, "What If Cyric Killed Mystra?"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000