Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  03:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Hello, my lady. I had a question about the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart. I know that Baldur's Gate II has a part of the order in Athkatla, but I was wondering if there was a chapterhouse of the order inside of Cormyr. My character Joran is a member of them, and his daughter is a part of the Auxiliary, and I was curious if they'd have to travel to some other city and belong to a branch there (such as Waterdeep if they had a chapterhouse, or even Neverwinter), or if one was closer to home for them.

I truly appreciate the time that you spend here answering all of our questions that we ask, as well as Mr. Greenwood giving part of his time to help us also. It really does mean a lot to me. Thank you!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  03:53:31  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Well met once more, Ed and milady Hooded One. I'm afraid that I have one more question regarding those fell pyramids of Ascore, to which I am hoping Ed can give me a simple yes-or-no answer, and I'm keeping it as general as possible in order to improve the chances of an answer.

Does Larloch have anything to do with the pyramids in any way, beyond his association with Karsus? (I'm assuming there is some sort of connection between the pyramids and Karsus, based on the answers given previously, so this I will take as given, whether correct or not.)

Given the shiny new NDA on Larloch, I'll understand completely (and be not surprised in the slightest) if the answer is NDA, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Many thanks once again to you both for being here for us!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 28 Apr 2010 03:56:10
Go to Top of Page

bigmac
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  04:20:40  Show Profile  Visit bigmac's Homepage Send bigmac a Private Message
well Met, I was wondering if you might know of any dungeons in or around Neverwinter, I am a noob to running the Realms. I have done some research, but havent really turned up much other than Gauntlgrym. Any help would be greatly aprreciated....BTW I think its awesome that you all take the time to give back to the FR community. Thank You

Bigmac
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  16:17:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Joran, I don't recall encountering such a chapterhouse during my admittedly brief adventurings in Waterdeep as a Knight, but your query (and those of Jakk and bigmac) have been sent to Ed.
Foxhelm, I really doubt that fans trying to get NDAs lifted accomplishes much in the short term. In some cases, however, it might be taken as an expression of interest in a particular topic, that spurs a DDI article . . . but that's a tactic that might backfire if it's seen as a recurring means of manipulating DDI content, if you see what I mean. I will nudge Ed into asking, okay?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  16:36:43  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
I appreciate that my lady, thank you. May I also ask how hereditary titles and lands are handled in Cormyr? For example, if Joran was the last of his line rather than having a family of his own, what would happen to his family's keep Stormmantle, and the noble title that his family holds? And if/when another noble family took over Stormmantle Keep, would it be renamed, or hold on to its name? Also, if Joran adopts a child, does the child get a noble title as well, such as baron or baroness? And would the adopted child have a legitimate claim to the family holdings, lands, and titles?

Thank you for your time, and I'm also greatly looking forward to hearing about the Radiant Heart and their chapterhouses.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 28 Apr 2010 16:38:04
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  16:48:51  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
I nearly forgot to ask a question on behalf of a friend of mine. Are there any redwood or sequoia trees in the Realms, and if so, might I ask where, please?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  17:56:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, I can answer one of your questions myself, straight away: whenever a noble family is "extinguished" in Cormyr (by dying off, or by being stripped of noble title), its lands and holdings are forfeit to the crown or "return to the realm." That is, they pass back into the hands of the Obarskyrs, who may retain them - - or more often dole them out again, to someone newly ennobled foer service to Cormyr, later.
A keep thus changing hands may well be renamed, but from my experience playing in the Realms, old names tend to "cling" in Cormyr for generations, regardless of renamings.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  20:37:25  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message
Greetings, Lady Hooded One. I have a quick (probably NDA encountering) query regarding settlements in the Western Hearlands for Ed.

Could he tell us of some of the smaller villages and settlements along the Chionthar between Baldur's Gate and Elturel? I seem to recall that it's a quite a well farmed district and would love anything Ed could add to the little we know.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  00:04:55  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Aren't you so incredibly kind for answering part of it for me! Thank you, my lady! I was thinking that it might, and actually rather thought the name might retain its old name out of rememberance or respect for the previous family or even convenience, but could also see it being renamed as well. Looks like I was on the appropriate page, just a different paragraph. Again, thank you, and it's always a true pleasure and delight to hear from you!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  15:42:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I've been rummaging for my notes on what Ed has said about that part of the countryside (I know he sent lore files on this to computer game licensees and to TSR designers in the past), and can't yet find them, but from memory I can tell you this much:

The river has barge traffic, and docks, but not much in the way of permanent settlements due to the river often extensively flooding its banks in spring. The settlements (smallish: hamlets, villages, a few towns, walls or earthen banks are common) crown every height of land near the river, and the terrain is gently rolling hills that are farmed and ranched (riverbank areas being unfenced grazing meadows). There are oval paddocks for livestock. And darn it, I wish I could remember some of the settlement names, but I can't.
I know Ed will come through, when he can...

love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 29 Apr 2010 15:44:41
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  16:04:19  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message
Ah that's good to know, THO. My players will be paasing the through the area soon and I was suprised on how little there was published. Thanks for the info and my best to Ed.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  16:41:34  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
oh look I'm backagain with questions, and It LEaves me wondering if I'm going to run headfirst into another NDA...

1:What happened to Unicorn's run for 4e, and if its still there why was it left off the map?
2: What happened to the Ruins of Deep Netheril after the sea elven high mages cast their high magic on them, and the condition of the cities during 4e.( Deep Netheril was mentioned in the grand history I think)
3:Are the Le-Shay corrupt?? if so why? and when are they going to get a 4e racial write up.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  19:05:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
BlackAce, that was deliberate. It was to leave the creative field as open as possible for computer game designers working in Baldur's Gate (and, it was once planned, in Elturel, too).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  20:08:07  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message
I thought that might be the case, (or that it was one of the areas that was left as a blank canvass by TSR for DMs,) as the Heatlands are quite detailed around the Reaching Wood but the Fields of the Dead were suprisingly blank. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  20:15:56  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
"What do you mean, I can't build my novel premise on the assertion that King Draxius was a lich?"

There's devil in the detail, kids. There always is.

-- George Krashos

Is there in this case George?

Inquiring minds etc

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  23:39:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

I nearly forgot to ask a question on behalf of a friend of mine. Are there any redwood or sequoia trees in the Realms, and if so, might I ask where, please?

I do not know about Sequoias, but Redwoods are NOT native to the Realms. However, they have appeared in at least 2 places - most recently as a result of the Spellplague in upper Cormyr.

One might assume that the other patch (who's location escapes me ATM) was probably the result of the TOT (since it did not exist in 1e/Ed's original), because of the similar magical chaos. One can also assume that Redwoods are therefore indigenous to Abeir.

As far as I can recall, that other group of Redwoods is somewhere in the north/western Heartlands, but NOT in the High Forest. The ones in Cormyr are the 1st appearance of such trees in the eastern Heartlands.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Apr 2010 23:41:03
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  02:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Thank you, and I'll pass it along to my friend, then.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  02:40:13  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Just curious if you could give some examples of good individuals of Evil monsters/races, like Eludecia the Succubus Paladin? If they happened to have sexy lady forms like Eludecia, I'm not going to complain.

Thank you, Ed.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  04:37:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
I'd like to ask- Why do Elminster or the other Chosen of Mystra not have familiars? Most of them are wizards or sorcerers, and Dove is even a ranger. So why no animal companions of any kind? I've noticed that very few FR wizards seem to have one. Why is this? And if any of them HAVE had familiars, why is there no mention of it?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  05:12:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Just curious if you could give some examples of good individuals of Evil monsters/races, like Eludecia the Succubus Paladin? If they happened to have sexy lady forms like Eludecia, I'm not going to complain.

Thank you, Ed.

Eludecia was the result of a WotC contest and WotC promised the winner of the creature contest would be "featured" in an adventure. I do not believe she is a canon FR character, though "Legend of the Silver Skeleton" does offer a few FR locations for where the adventure might be played.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  08:15:52  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Okay, a question on what may be a somewhat sensitive/disturbing issue regarding Elminster and Storm:
On page 68 of Elminster In Hell, it says: "He [Elminster] sits bolt-upright in his bedchamber... The flames reflect in the eyes of the one besides him-Storm in early days, and later the fiery Witch-Queen."
We've seen other such instances - Mirt raised Asper, and they got married, with much written about it. I personally had no problem with accepting Asper and Mirt's reasons. So is it the same for ELminster and Storm? What reasons did they have? And was there no jealousy between Storm and Alassra over this?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  11:59:10  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Thank you, Ed.

Eludecia was the result of a WotC contest and WotC promised the winner of the creature contest would be "featured" in an adventure. I do not believe she is a canon FR character, though "Legend of the Silver Skeleton" does offer a few FR locations for where the adventure might be played.

I was thinking of Realms characters who are good members of evil races/monsters like the Succubus Paladin. I say like before her name as I wanted to use it as an example. I hope this makes sense.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  18:59:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Alystra Illianniis, most of the Chosen have had familiars, but lost them (the hard way) early in their careers (i.e. centuries before the time of most FR products). Mentions of them are in Ed's turnover lore, but were edited out by TSR because they were trying to cram LOTS of lore into every product, and that pparticular sort of background detail wasn't as "adventure-relevant" as other lore.
Menelvagor, your query re. Storm and Alassra is timely, and in fact too timely; see Ed's forthcoming ELMINSTER MUST DIE! for more. (I suspect Ed won't reply to you on this particular matter until after it's out.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  20:58:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Speaking of Elminster Must Die...anymore teasers handy THO?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  23:09:25  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Also when will we see Elminster goes Hawaiian? With all of the Seven sisters in coconut bras, grass skirts and nothing else?

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  23:28:00  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Thank you for the answer. Any chance we can ever see that lore?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  00:01:16  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

Also when will we see Elminster goes Hawaiian? With all of the Seven sisters in coconut bras, grass skirts and nothing else?

You forgot the lovely THO!

And get out of my dreams!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  16:39:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Alystra Illianniis, it's doubtful we'll see that lore in any sort of comprehensive manner (though details about this or that particular NPC might well leak out, over time). Once it was submitted to TSR and they'd paid for it (and this lore was part of the massive, umpteen-part original Realms turnover, sent throughout 1986), it became their property and they (now WotC, and part of Hasbro) retain full control over it.
When it comes to the Chosen, at the time setting of the Realms upthrough D&D 3.5, they no longer need familiars - - because they can call on Mystra's other servitors if need be, and use the Weave.

And Foxhelm and Ashe Ravenheart, I'm not sure Elminster likes that much sun. Exposure, yes . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  16:45:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Joran Nobleheart, this just arrived, from Ed:

Yes, the order does have a modest chapterhouse in Waterdeep. It's a small but impressive three-floors-above-the-street, one-cellar-below stone building (with stout stone pillars supporting a "porch roof" over the double-doors entrance) in North Ward.
Specifically, it's located on the east side of Whaelgond Way, two doors south of the Jardeth noble family villa.

So saith Ed. Creator of Waterdeep, and (still) most of the people and places in it.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  17:03:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
"What do you mean, I can't build my novel premise on the assertion that King Draxius was a lich?"

There's devil in the detail, kids. There always is.

-- George Krashos

Is there in this case George?

Inquiring minds etc

Cheers

Damian

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Seriously, King Draxius was many things. AS for whether he was one of the undead, well ... I guess we'll all have to wait and see. When is that Lineage gonna hit the light of day?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000