Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  22:22:32  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I'll alert you if I see any nice pics of the truly stunning (and far younger than moi) ladies I was strolling with...
love,
THO

Age, my fair lady, provides, as it does with fine wine, only improvement.

Unless the cork gets out.

Strangely, that's always when my wife smacks me.

"Saving a life, though regrettable, is a small price to pay for a whole lifetime of unfettered killing."
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  00:20:50  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

<chop>Halaster is also a figure enshrouded in NDAs, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to remain silent on most queries regarding "what happened to him," and "why," or who he may or may not have served. Which statement should, of course, tell you all something. :}
<snip>
love to all,
THO

Mmm... I really hope this spells "novel"... but if it spells "DDI article" I'll need to know when it's released so I can pay for the correct month(s)... Halaster is one of a very few subjects that will get me to buy into an online periodical... the others are Realmsian and NDA-clad as well, thirteen of which (red in hue) have been discussed at some length by myself and others, and another of whom also dwells in the vicinity of Waterdeep and goes by the name of Larloch...

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Talk of Maraunth Torr and Halaster reminds me: I personally try not to ask Ed to bare definite mysteries like that. For elaborations, clarifications, detail on subjects Realms-folk would know, yes, but I like my Realms with many mysterious loose ends, and while Ed will always weave new ones into his revelations, I'd suggest thinking carefully before asking him to give up too many secrets because too many potentials in his world have already been wasted or passed by -- and Ed's kindness may some days overmatch his prudence.

After some long thought on this, I agree with you, Faraer. I agreed immediately with the idea that things have been wasted (the Manshoon Wars are the pet peeve of a number of 2E fans, including myself and a certain giant space hamster), and I also think that some past things should remain mysterious in the event of future plans for the Realms changing... no further comment on that line of thought, which was deliberately ambiguously worded.

quote:

Very well said, Faraer! I have heard Ed and many other writers (usually at panels at various conventions) talk about the art of what should be left out of the story when writing fiction, and although this runs directly counter to the fan's lust for details (doubled in gamers, for obvious reasons of play utility), usually the writer's instincts regarding what's left unsaid SHOULD win.
[snip]

I had two long paragraphs here, but it got rantish, so I gave my head a cold-water soak and started over again. Yes, gamers have a doubled lust for details (further doubled in me, because I tend to obsess about things that interest me that I don't know the answers to). What I would like to see (apart from the Cormyr Lineage and a novel or Web article about those pyramids in Ascore) is a system by which NDAs get retired as products get published or cancelled.

Okay, no more questions about Halaster (I'll try to restrain my "kid at Christmas" glee over the NDAs (which, I'll assume, are relatively new) in the hopes that something will be done with them).

I have one last question (a simple Yes or No) regarding the pyramids... er, two Yes-or-No questions (nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition except me):

1) Were the pyramids in Ascore present at the city's founding?
2) If not, were they present at any time before the fall of Mystryl and Karsus?

That's all. Oh... one other little detail... the remains of Karsus' petrified corpse are described in multiple sources as being red-hued stone... would this be the same shade of red as those pyramids?

Okay, I guess that's three... clearly, I count about as well as a red-clad Python.

Thank you again, Ed and THO, for your patience, your voice of reason, and (most of all) for being here for fans of the Realms.

Edit: OOOH! Apologies for the volume level on that exclamation, but something just jumped out at me from the pages of FR5 in the write-up on Karse. A simple Yes, No, or NDA will be absolutely wonderful as an answer to this fourth question: is that ring of 13 dire oaks in Karse connected with the 13 pyramids of Ascore in any way? I have a theory... ...although the answer is irrelevant if my third question's answer is "No"...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 14 Apr 2010 02:45:55
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  12:15:15  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Ed in the WotC Book Nook:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/booknook

It's about the Ed presents Waterdeep series.

Edited by - gomez on 14 Apr 2010 12:26:08
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  13:17:20  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Well, it's that time of the year again, and the scribes of Candlekeep are murmuring amongst themselves about the grand gathering in Indianapolis, comparing cards and sharing plans. Which means it's a perfect time to ask whether Ed is planning to go to GenCon, and if so, what his schedule is looking like at this point.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  15:20:06  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Well, it's that time of the year again, and the scribes of Candlekeep are murmuring amongst themselves about the grand gathering in Indianapolis, comparing cards and sharing plans. Which means it's a perfect time to ask whether Ed is planning to go to GenCon, and if so, what his schedule is looking like at this point.

And it's the time of year when I look at the map and curse, for I live in Finland, so there is no way I could come to Gencon and meet Ed.

...Has Ed ever been to a con or something similar in northern Europe?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  15:53:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.

khorne, in answer to your question: Stockholm and Goteburg, in Sweden; London and several small places in England, Hannover in Germany, and a few more I can't recall at the moment...

Hoondatha, Ed certainly plans to be there (to launch ELMINSTER MUST DIE! as well as other things). As for schedule, it's way too early to say anything yet; yes, Wizards has contacted him for this year, but in some years they've been changing and rearranging literally AS ED DRIVES DOWN to Indy!

gomez, that interview is from last year's GenCon. Did it take THIS long to show up on the website? Sheesh, as Ed would say...

Jakk, here are a few answers, straight from Ed:

Question 1: No.
Question 2: No comment.
Question 3: Don't think so.
"Question 4" followup edit: I think so...yes...

Evil glee at the thought of your reactions, Jakk (sorry, I mustn't be cruel...)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  16:46:46  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

gomez, that interview is from last year's GenCon. Did it take THIS long to show up on the website?

Apparently. I did get suspicious when the interviewer said Gencon had worn him out...
Ah well, maybe next time this year, we'll get the vid of Ed promoting Elminster Must Die... :D

Oh, and I won't be in Gencon this year (also stuck in Europe). I hope next year.

Gomez

Edited by - gomez on 14 Apr 2010 16:49:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  17:07:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I'll alert you if I see any nice pics of the truly stunning (and far younger than moi) ladies I was strolling with...
Neat. And thanks.

I'll have to remind the Lady K also, then, because she'll probably want to look them over.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  00:09:13  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
<chop>
Jakk, here are a few answers, straight from Ed:

Question 1: No.
Question 2: No comment.
"Question 4" followup edit: I think so...yes...

Evil glee at the thought of your reactions, Jakk (sorry, I mustn't be cruel...)
love to all,
THO

Evil glee returned, THO... I have no idea "who" or "why" yet, but I have the beginnings of a "what"... I need to re-read the old lore in more detail. However, if I were to speculate right now, I would quote Wooly Rupert on Larloch; I suspect that what those pyramids are doing is containing something... hence the overwhelming radiant evil emanating therefrom... and as it turns out, my "Question 3" is irrelevant. That's Speculation #1.

My original theory (that the pyramids were constructed from stone quarried from the petrified giant body of Karsus) was neat, too. Thinking about it, even a stone corpse that size wouldn't have enough stone to build thirteen pyramids... is the size of those pyramids under NDA? I don't remember seeing anything about how big they are in published lore. (Size of pyramids; Question #2.)

I'm fairly confident (based on the relatively recent arrival of the pyramids) that they have nothing to do with the Shadevari (one of two other big "13"s I can think of, the other being the Skulls of Skullport, which I'm equally sure is another coincidence).

Many, many thanks for those answers, Ed, as cryptic as they were; they got my wheels turning and that's always a good thing. Now, of course, I'm wondering about those dire oaks, because I honestly had not expected a connection there... FR5 is somewhat lacking in details on this point, so is there anything you can share with us regarding that species of flora in general? (Question #3 and final.)

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  16:52:03  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
yeah... I actually have a question, although this may be a bad thing.....
what part of the realms did each of the creator races haven and what are the areas called now???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  16:59:58  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message
quote:

Yes, I was there, concealing myself behind a lot of makeup and a rather risque Steampunk burlesque costume - -
love,
THO

Are you pictured http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Bzwh4ecQCBQ/S8XeCqehngI/AAAAAAAAA2o/30nLyobRppM/s1600/aa2010steamsalon.jpg, by any chance?

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  18:20:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brace Cormaeril

quote:

Yes, I was there, concealing myself behind a lot of makeup and a rather risque Steampunk burlesque costume - -
love,
THO

Are you pictured http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Bzwh4ecQCBQ/S8XeCqehngI/AAAAAAAAA2o/30nLyobRppM/s1600/aa2010steamsalon.jpg, by any chance?

She's the one in the top hat by the right side of the picture.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm referring to the person that cannot be seen at ALL behind the other lovely lady in the burgandy waistcoat (next to the gentleman with glasses).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 15 Apr 2010 20:18:19
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  19:52:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
I am offically smitten!

Looked like a fun time...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  20:20:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. No, not only am I not in the picture, but the only one of those folks I recall seeing is the lady back row near the middle with the tiny hat pinned atop her head (bare shoulders, corset). Most of the costumes I recall seeing were FAR more impressive than those in the illo...one example: tall, thin, haughtily handsome man with top hat, handlebar moustache, his right eye covered with a strapped-on steampunk metal magnifier, the left breast of his tailcoat sporting a disc that continuously shot bright purple lightnings across itself...he had a magnificent waistcoat with watch and fob, riding boots AND matching spats, and a steampunk multibarreled rifle with glowing green scope.
Another: man with muttonchop sidewhiskers, top hat, monacle on ribbon, hunting jacket, forearm-bracer steampunk metal power gauntlet with various attachments (including the inevitable china saucer and teacup, with a whistle-kettle), gold-handled ebony walking-stick/swordcane, gauntlet with spitting-lightning glass "test tubes" attached to its knuckles on other hand, small monkey on shoulder (one of those animated toys whose head and arms can be moved by squeezing air-tube bulbs), red-and-black striped waistcoat, gold spats over black leather square-toed shoes, tailored breeches.
And don't get me started on the ladies...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  20:22:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
I am still smitten gosh darn it!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  20:22:51  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I am still smitten gosh darn it!

As we all are, Brimmy...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Larloch
Acolyte

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  20:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Larloch's Homepage Send Larloch a Private Message
I haven't found nothing similar so....how well know are the phaerimm in the Realms? And in the Underdark? I guess that old liches from Netheril will know a lot about them, and certain races of the Underdark too. But, a common adventurer? There are sages concerning the phaerimm lore?

Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  21:27:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Larloch

I haven't found nothing similar so....how well know are the phaerimm in the Realms? And in the Underdark? I guess that old liches from Netheril will know a lot about them, and certain races of the Underdark too. But, a common adventurer? There are sages concerning the phaerimm lore?

Thanks in advance!

(This is all based on 3.5/Pathfinder...)

Being that Phaerimm are aberrations, anyone with a Knowledge (Dungeoneering) skill could know about them. Since they are more rare than your usual critter, I'd probably tack on a +5/+10 modifier to the DC.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  02:38:46  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
I have one more question that may be related to those pyramids. In FR5, in the description of Karse on page 52, we are told:
quote:
An avatar (minor physical manifestation) of the dying god Karsus dwells in a temple atop the butte, his everflowing blood contributing to the magical nature of the Dire Wood, while deep within the butte, Karsus's gigantic, living heart beats ponderously.

I assume from this text that part of what makes the dire oaks unique is being fed from the blood of the avatar of Karsus.

More interesting to me is what the text suggests: that Karsus is still alive, albeit senescent, circa DR 1357. IIRC, Ao was an addition to the Realms for purposes of the Avatar Crisis and 2E, and did not exist in your Realms or in the published 1E Realms. This being the case, how are divine portfolios distributed, and (more specifically) how would the newly ascended Mystra have reclaimed her portfolios from a deity that still lived (albeit apparently completely incapacitated) without killing said deity?

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  08:02:44  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
A quick question regarding names: We know that Alusair has a second name, Nacacia. Is this name connected somehow to Nacacia, the half-elf paramour of Elminster and fellow apprentice with him to The Masked (Llombaerth Starym) in Elminster in Myth Drannor? If so, what is the connection? Was she an ancestor or something?
EDIT: Another quick question. It may be better directed towards Steven, but he's been rather unresponsive, so...
From The Fall of Myth Drannor:
"Most significantly, both Malimshaer and Gaulguth the nycaloths were on hand for this battle, and both suffered grievously at the hands of the enraged and powerful elf Chosen of Mystra, Symrustar Auglamyr and a battery of wizard-allies whose names are still mysteriously hidden. Using her silver fire and their mastery of spells, they managed to wound Gaulguth and cost him both his left arm and left eye!"
Do we know who this 'battery of wizard-allies' consisted of?
Oh, and I must thank you both, Ed and Milady, for giving me news of seeing more published information regaring Symrustar. THis makes me so happy!

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 16 Apr 2010 08:39:30
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  22:34:53  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
That's all. Oh... one other little detail... the remains of Karsus' petrified corpse are described in multiple sources as being red-hued stone... would this be the same shade of red as those pyramids?
quote:
THO

My original theory (that the pyramids were constructed from stone quarried from the petrified giant body of Karsus) was neat, too. Thinking about it, even a stone corpse that size wouldn't have enough stone to build thirteen pyramids... is the size of those pyramids under NDA? I don't remember seeing anything about how big they are in published lore. (Size of pyramids; Question #2.)

But LEoF does say
quote:
The ruins of Ascore are most notable for thirteen pyramids
of unknown origin. These structures are made of an unusual
red stone not unlike the bleeding stone of Karse.

not unlike? If it wasn't constructed from Karse, where else can said stone be found? Are there any other buildings or structures constructed of same said material?

Consider rjfras' questions officially asked of you, Ed. Your original answer seemed... uncertain... and I thought I should investigate this after reading rjfras' post (in the Ascore scroll).

Many thanks again! These are likely to be my last two questions on the topic of these pyramids, given your (entirely expected) reticence regarding my original Question #2... I suspected that I'd be pushing an NDA envelope with that one, even as general as it was... or perhaps it's not an NDA, but something even more sinister... Either way, I hope to have enough clues to begin theorising in detail.

Edited by - Jakk on 16 Apr 2010 22:38:08
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2010 :  17:43:21  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
It's me again, Ed. First, please note that I am not asking any explicit questions here, as I know that they cannot be answered in any satisfying way due to the iNDividuAlS involved. I'm just presenting a (rather terrifying) theory for your perusal.

What if, now that the Spellplague has disrupted Larloch's portal network, his current (post-1385) project is the recovery of Halaster's soul shards?

What does the thought of Larloch being the one to reassemble Halaster's soul do for your nightmares?

(I'm not sure what it will do for mine; I just had the thought this morning.)

Edit: Re-reading this after my reply to Menelvagor, I realized just how plausible this is... Larloch was engaged in portal research, according to what we know of him pre-Spellplague... and we know from Elminster in Hell and the various Undermountain supplements and adventures that Halaster was a master of portal magic. The fact that they're both insane may just make their minds more easily integrated... Yes, if not for the fact that Halaster is still alive and well in my Realms, my nightmares would be scary indeed...

Edited by - Jakk on 17 Apr 2010 18:13:13
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2010 :  18:00:10  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

A quick question regarding names: We know that Alusair has a second name, Nacacia. Is this name connected somehow to Nacacia, the half-elf paramour of Elminster and fellow apprentice with him to The Masked (Llombaerth Starym) in Elminster in Myth Drannor? If so, what is the connection? Was she an ancestor or something?
EDIT: Another quick question. It may be better directed towards Steven, but he's been rather unresponsive, so...
From The Fall of Myth Drannor:
"Most significantly, both Malimshaer and Gaulguth the nycaloths were on hand for this battle, and both suffered grievously at the hands of the enraged and powerful elf Chosen of Mystra, Symrustar Auglamyr and a battery of wizard-allies whose names are still mysteriously hidden. Using her silver fire and their mastery of spells, they managed to wound Gaulguth and cost him both his left arm and left eye!"
Do we know who this 'battery of wizard-allies' consisted of?
Oh, and I must thank you both, Ed and Milady, for giving me news of seeing more published information regaring Symrustar. THis makes me so happy!

I was intrigued by both of these questions, Menelvagor, and I was fairly confident in at least a provisional answer for the first. I've added a lot to Ed's plate lately, so I thought I'd try to help him out a bit.

I suspect this answer will be either "No" or "NDA until the Cormyr Lineage gets released"... and I'm praying daily to Deneir and Oghma that we see that document within our lifetimes.

Of course, Ed will be able to tell you definitively one way or the other... and I'm looking forward to whatever he can say about your second question as well.

Edited by - Jakk on 17 Apr 2010 18:01:17
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2010 :  22:20:54  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

There are definitely Chosen older than Elminster. After all, Mystryl had Chosen. Not that we know anything about them aside from a gleeful Ed giggle...

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Which leads to wonder if any of Mystryl's Chosen still live pre-spellplague?

The Lady Hooded One, ever the mistress of mysteries, once told us re: the fate of some of Mystryl's Chosen:-

" ... you tread into darkly perilous ground, approaching (gasp) a secret of the Realms that has been sitting in plain sight for lo these many years, just waiting for a brilliant scribe to pounce upon.

Heh-heh. Which is a grand way of saying Ed won't answer you directly. You'll have to wait (for some time) for a rather more public answer.

Heh heh heh.

love,
THO"

I had another thought spring to mind about this one...

The wording of accounts of Mystryl's death in the few sources which mention it suggest that she reincarnated herself as Mystra. That act in itself inspires another set of questions, the answers to which are almost certain to be "NDA"... so I won't waste Ed's time by asking them unless I learn that the answers are available. Given what we know about the Chosen of Mystra (that they act as repositories for bits of Mystra's divine power), if Mystryl's Chosen had the same sort of function, then that should mean that there are still bits of Mystryl out there, in the persons of (if I'm correct) Halaster, Ioulaum, and Larloch (and possibly others). This would certainly explain why Mystra has been so tolerant, if not outright nurturing, of Halaster and Larloch, and would even answer the question inspired by Wooly: "What is Larloch containing?"

That being said, this is all speculation; I know that Ed likely can't say anything at all directly regarding it, but I wanted to put the theory out there for his perusal all the same.

I would like to know (or at least have a better idea) just *how much* time we'll have to wait for a more public answer on this. That's my only question here; I've asked quite enough hard questions lately, and I know Ed's working hard to find answers (where possible) for all of us. Once again, thank you both, Ed and THO.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 Apr 2010 00:25:07
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2010 :  22:34:04  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message
How pacified (in some 137x) are the northen parts of Darama after being subject to pretty bandit kingdoms following the fall of the Witch King in 1359?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2010 :  08:53:38  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

There are definitely Chosen older than Elminster. After all, Mystryl had Chosen. Not that we know anything about them aside from a gleeful Ed giggle...

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Which leads to wonder if any of Mystryl's Chosen still live pre-spellplague?

The Lady Hooded One, ever the mistress of mysteries, once told us re: the fate of some of Mystryl's Chosen:-

" ... you tread into darkly perilous ground, approaching (gasp) a secret of the Realms that has been sitting in plain sight for lo these many years, just waiting for a brilliant scribe to pounce upon.

Heh-heh. Which is a grand way of saying Ed won't answer you directly. You'll have to wait (for some time) for a rather more public answer.

Heh heh heh.

love,
THO"

I had another thought spring to mind about this one...

The wording of accounts of Mystryl's death in the few sources which mention it suggest that she reincarnated herself as Mystra. That act in itself inspires another set of questions, the answers to which are almost certain to be "NDA"... so I won't waste Ed's time by asking them unless I learn that the answers are available. Given what we know about the Chosen of Mystra (that they act as repositories for bits of Mystra's divine power), if Mystryl's Chosen had the same sort of function, then that should mean that there are still bits of Mystryl out there, in the persons of (if I'm correct) Halaster, Ioulaum, and Larloch (and possibly others). This would certainly explain why Mystra has been so tolerant, if not outright nurturing, of Halaster and Larloch, and would even answer the question inspired by Wooly: "What is Larloch containing?"

Hmmm... This is odd - I have always had the impression that the whole system of the Chosen (as in, repositories for part of Mystra's essence) was ordained by Ao after Mystryl bought the farm, as a firewall against someone trying another "Karsus Avatar" spell, on the assumption that if Mystra/Mystryl's energy is spread across several repositories, no one can gain control over all, and therefore no one can wrest control of the Weave from its appointed guardian? In which case, from a fluff point of view, the Chosen of Mystra were originally unique, before, with the advent of 3rd Edition, every deity started having them. So, to add to this question - did Mystryl always have "Chosen", as in repositories for her energy, and therefore an extension of her, not as in "guy or gal given some cool powers"?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2010 :  18:33:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Re. this, Thauramarth: ". . . did Mystryl always have "Chosen", as in repositories for her energy, and therefore an extension of her, not as in "guy or gal given some cool powers"?"
I have an answer, straight from Ed's notes:
Yes.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2010 :  18:50:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Sian, your Damara question can't be answered due to current NDAs, I'm afraid. Sorry.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2010 :  05:39:16  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I have a Borderkingdom question for Ed.

how many of the villages at the banks of the lake of steam and areas noted in the powers of faerun splatbook, survived the arnrock eruption( assuming the volcano did a krakatoa( still assuming I spelled it right) and caused a tidal wave). and how many of them would of survived post plague.

and did the river Scelptar dry up in the past 100 years, and what of the towns along its beaches?

bet the dread NDA will show up in at least one of them

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 19 Apr 2010 06:48:28
Go to Top of Page

Riverwind
Learned Scribe

133 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2010 :  09:27:47  Show Profile  Visit Riverwind's Homepage Send Riverwind a Private Message
Mr. Greenwood,

I wanted to ask you two questions:

1. FR1 puts the size of Waterdeep's Guard at 1,200. But it also says that this might be only 1/3 of the size or even less. I was hoping you could shed some light on this. (also the same goes for the Navy.)

2. Would nations or city states in the Realms have any ethical dilemmas in using mass casaulty type spells in war?

Thanks in advance. You have no idea how many hours you and Gary Gygax kept me busy.

Edited by - Riverwind on 19 Apr 2010 09:30:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000