Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  16:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, Ashe. Give me ten minutes or so to hack into Facebook (for some reason, it's blocked from the computer I'm at now . . . and Ed tells me he can't access it right now, either (the log-in page just freezes). I'll get back to you.
Ahhh, advanced technology...more like magic than ever.
love,
THO

You must be in a school or a library...

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  17:50:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
No, Alisttair, it wasn't that sort of blocking. It was a temporary (and still mysterious, though I suspect a third-party tech support company, doing maintenance work that "froze out" some datastreams for short periods as they tinkered) ISP source-code block, not the sort of primitive filtering programs schools and libraries use. Those sort of "public" terminals are shunned like the plague by individuals in my line of work.
Ed, now, DOES work at a public library, and chairs the board of another library system...but you'll be unsurprised to learn that he's a tad too busy to be Facebooking at work, even if it wasn't a misuse of his paid work time. Running the circ desk at a public library is very similar to being the lone cashier at a very busy supermarket.
I doubt Ed has the skills to hack into Facebook, or any interest in doing so, and I'd have a hard time doing it from a public terminal (because most of the settings I'd have to monkey with are usually on a server elsewhere, and "locked" to prevent such tamperings over a network). What I did was tap into another ISP (that I have legal, paid access to) and "get around" the temporary blockage. Just like finding a street blocked and turning down a side street to take an alternative route.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  18:21:51  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
So how were they superceded by later editions of the game? Declared completely un-canon, or something else?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  22:08:26  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
Hello...

This is more a question for THO than Ed, and it might have been answered a million times. Now I know you THO wont tell us about your character you play, even thou im pretty sure I could guess whome you do/did play.

My question is this... How many of the characers played at Ed's sessions have become NPCs in novels and in scource books. I mean could I unknowingly bump into your character in shadowdale???

If this is the 100000 time this have been asked im sorry!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  00:08:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Now I know you THO wont tell us about your character you play, even thou im pretty sure I could guess whome you do/did play.

I should like to ask that we honor the lovely Lady Hooded One's need for discretion on this particular topic, and not publicly guess or speculate on it. It's better all around if we keep any such speculations to ourselves.

Not singling out Nic or anyone else -- just sayin'.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  01:32:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Now I know you THO wont tell us about your character you play, even thou im pretty sure I could guess whome you do/did play.

I should like to ask that we honor the lovely Lady Hooded One's need for discretion on this particular topic, and not publicly guess or speculate on it. It's better all around if we keep any such speculations to ourselves.

Not singling out Nic or anyone else -- just sayin'.

Indeed. As I stated a few pages earlier, about similar speculation on the part of scribes here at Candlekeep:-
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

As you likely already know from previous editions of the "Questions for Ed Greenwood" scroll, this is the type of question that the Lady Hooded One can't really answer to any specific degree. There's just certain details that would have to remain vague and/or ignored to ensure privacy issues and avoid any legal complications that might arise from the revealing of such info.

Your best best, is to simply search through the "So Saith Ed" archives and read the few replies from the Lady Hooded One herself that feature a small sampling of tidbits about some of her adventures at Ed's gaming table.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  03:05:11  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Uh, Menelvagor, THO told you how they were superceded. She posted: "Ed's Wizards Three articles have been superceded by later editions of the game ("outdating" both some of the spells and the formats they were written in), but they have ALWAYS been considered canon."
So I suppose "something else" would be your answer.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  06:37:19  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. My meaning was, if it was indeed 'something else', what was it exactly?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Edited by - Menelvagor on 09 Apr 2010 16:33:12
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  17:50:42  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
I woul like to say that im not going to guess anything, I totally respect her wishes on that part! I hope thou that the rest of my question is ok to ask and that she will aswer it. If not I respect that aswell!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  23:45:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

I woul like to say that im not going to guess anything, I totally respect her wishes on that part! I hope thou that the rest of my question is ok to ask and that she will aswer it. If not I respect that aswell!

No worries. I was only quoting you because you'd mentioned it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2010 :  01:33:17  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

No, he'd not be done yet.
Gauntulgrym was, of course, an Ed creation, and appeared on Ed's original maps of the Sword Coast North, the Fonstad FR Atlas, and the relevant early "FR" products. Although both the Company of Crazed Venturers and the Knights of Myth Drannor (briefly) visited that complex of underground city/dungeon/labyrinth/linked caverns beneath (as did players in Ed's for-charity D&D tournament at GenCon 20), Ed purposely kept lore about Gauntulgrym - - which exists in his pencil notes and maps as a huge mapped (but not completely mapped; Ed stopped after about 70 8.5"x11" grid graph paper sheets) place - - spotty and sparse, to give everyone else using the Realms maximum freedom.
The "original" Edlore history of Gauntulgrym mentioned linked natural caverns, formerly water-filled (and created) but later left dry as the rock-cleaving waters descended into lower levels, and at least three separate times of inhabitation and tunneling by dwarves, et al (not to mention a DRAGON lairing in a mountaintop cavern above most of the rest of it). At least two of those periods of habitation produced extensive networks of chambers with stone doors both obvious and hidden, many halls and passages, etc.
In other words, allowing for maximum utility and freedom for DMs, writers, and game designers. Check out Ed's unedited prose wherever you can, and you'll see that Ed is a master of "weasel-wording" (e.g. "it is thought that" rather than bald statements of fact) that allow for different interpretations to easily be made without introducing inconsistencies.
In short, Bob should be free to have fun and tell a great tale.
love to all,
THO

I found this (recent) post in a scroll regarding Bob Salvatore's upcoming novel in the Novels archives, and I'm still puzzling over the location of Gauntlgrym; I don't have my copy of the FR Atlas with me (it's among the scads of 1E and 2E material still in storage 4 hours away by highway), but I do have the vast majority of my 1E and 2E maps from the gaming products handy... and I couldn't find Gauntlgrym on those maps. There is a location in the North on those early published maps that has always interested me, however: a ruin marked only as "Gate".

My question is twofold: a more precise location for Gauntlgrym from whomever can provide it first (I'm all for lessening Ed's workload when possible), and anything more that can be said (by Ed or anyone else in the know) about this mysterious "Gate". Again, many thanks to Ed, THO, the moderators, and my fellow scribes, all of whom make Candlekeep a place I still enjoy returning to, even after the upheavals (which shall remain nameless and otherwise unreferenced) of the last two years.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 10 Apr 2010 01:37:22
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2010 :  01:54:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

That's fine. I'm sure the Lady Hooded One will know what she can, ultimately, answer and not answer with respect to your query.

There's no harm in asking, of course. It just pays to be aware of certain legalities when posing these types of queries.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2010 :  14:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

My question is twofold: a more precise location for Gauntlgrym from whomever can provide it first (I'm all for lessening Ed's workload when possible), and anything more that can be said (by Ed or anyone else in the know) about this mysterious "Gate".

Jakk,

I answered your first question (in part) back on page 16 of this thread already:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

For Gauntlgrym's location, I used The North as source. You may want to have a look, as it's both on the maps in the back of that and I seem to recall something written about it too.

I can confirm that there are various references throughout that book, as well as a short writeup on page 38. The location is also marked on the maps in the back.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 10 Apr 2010 14:26:03
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2010 :  23:40:46  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Thanks, Kyrene. I thought I'd seen something else recent regarding Gauntlgrym, but then I couldn't find it. I'm just appalled at myself for asking the same question twice.

I'll be searching the site more thoroughly before I post my next question; I suspect it's already in Ed's question queue, as it seems familiar.

Edit: I remember that page now... I'm still pondering the Dragoncursed Crown, and wishing I had more of my older lore close to hand.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 10 Apr 2010 23:46:45
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2010 :  00:47:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Okay... the Keep has been thoroughly scoured, and I can find no trace of this set of questions after their original asking and extremely limited answering back in 2004.

I was sure that I asked about this before (I've lost track of some of my earlier questions whose answers are either [NDA] or buried so deeply in Ed's basement that he hasn't found them yet), but I can't find anything in the "Questions for Ed" archives with either Google or CK Search, so maybe it was something I left off my list. In any case, my apologies if I'm repeating myself *again*... but I'm wondering if there have been any developments (specifically, loosening of NDAs) in the five and a half years since this original post from Ed's 2004 scroll, particularly in light of the (canonical) death of Halaster. On which note: I won't ask why Halaster's soul shards are being collected; this is *definitely* NDA, unless something's already been published in DDI, and it doesn't affect my Realms in the slightest, being as Halaster is alive and well in that reality.

Many thanks in advance to you both, Ed and THO!

quote:
Originally posted by Melfius
6 October 2004

<chop; questions reposted with answers in THO's posts below>

quote:
8 October 2004

Melfius, I bring you the rather frisky (and incomplete; see hereafter) replies of Ed, as follows:

1. What is the name of the seventh apprentice? Was it Ezzat as detailed in the Ruins of Undermountain II? Or is Nandel Greenward? Hmmm. That makes eight. I hate mysteries.
[NDA]
2. Do any of the aforementioned apprentices have last names?
Yes, but they’ve not been remembered by, or are not known to, our Realms sources consulted thus far. Perhaps they’ll be revealed in the fullness of [NDA]
3. Has there been documented anywhere any descendants of any apprentices?
No. However, that doesn’t mean no offspring exist. In fact, [NDA]
4. Did Halaster begin holding the MageFairs on his own, or was he working with a group?
Halaster thought he was establishing MageFairs on his own, but in fact more than one deity of magic was whispering subtle suggestions in more than one mortal ear to bring it about. Otherwise, given the paranoid nature of most mages, it’s likely the MageFairs would never have been more than Halaster waiting in some tranquil, remote locale for one or two mages to show up (and the Fairs would have ended the moment one arriving mage attacked, or was attacked by, another). As for who these deities and other mortals were, specifically, I’d have to say [NDA]
5. At what point did Halaster decide to change his name from Hilather?
[NDA]
6. Where/When was Halaster born?
A long time ago, specifically [NDA] in [NDA]
7. What changes have been made to Halaster since Elminster in Hell? (i.e. Is he sane now?)
Like any long-lived mage, Halaster isn’t what most other mortals would call ‘normal,’ and never will be. However, Mystra did some major mental healing (that also involved binding Halaster more closely to her service), ‘offstage’ in the latter part of ELMINSTER IN HELL and thereafter. Halaster did NOT become a Chosen, but reached a ‘separate peace’ with her in return for serving her as an agent (in the events recounted in ELMINSTER IN HELL). He still has his ‘raving times,’ but they’re fewer, shorter, and less severe than before (i.e. he’s far more in touch with reality, and more cunning and less reckless whilst in the throes of them); most of the time he’s in complete control of himself - - and this is no longer governed by his location (in Undermountain or outside of it). That doesn’t mean he’s a ‘happy camper.’ For one thing, he’s both enraged and ashamed at how many years he’s wasted ‘drifting’ in sub-sanity, and is just climbing out of considering himself an utter failure and a rot-fungus on the face of Faerun and into deciding what he’ll devote the rest of his life to. Consider him a magical whirlwind that’s stopped spinning and is poised to decide what to do next. Tremble, Faerun, tremble.
8. When Halster claimed to have been touched by Shar, does this mean he has access to the Shadow Weave?
Halaster HAD access to the Shadow Weave; much of his madness was due to Shar’s whisperings (attempts to mind-control him), which is specifically what he meant by her ‘touch.’ Shar’s influence gave him access to the Shadow Weave, but Halaster’s aged, busy, brilliantly-magic-creative mind couldn’t simultaneously handle mastery of both Weave and Shadow Weave, and so he was losing his sanity (and only thereby keeping Shar at bay: she couldn’t control a mind in such internal chaos). Mystra in effect thrust Shar out (in any contest of pure magic and of mortal mastery of magic, in which Mystra and Shar can exert equal forces against each other, Mystra will always win, because she IS magic, and has supremacy) of Halaster’s mind, banishing all traces of the Shadow Weave forever. What she left behind makes Halaster one of the few mortals whom Shar can never subvert, now. She can break his mind and his body, but not corrupt and come to control him. (In other words, he’s equal to a Chosen of Mystra in this regard. The Chosen who’ve failed Mystra in the past have lost their sanity and ‘fallen away from her love,’ and so become corruptible.)
9. Are there any anecdotes about any of your gaming groups’ encounters with Halaster?
Yes. :} :} :}
Oh, ALL right: I'll unleash THO to answer this when she can (I know she's very busy this weekend), and at that time return with some feeble attempts to answer your other three questions, too.
Ed

So saith the Master. Gawds, Halaster [shudder]! You WOULD have to make me relive those disasters, wouldn't you?
THO

quote:
12 October 2004

Hello, all.
<chop>
10. Where/When did Halaster begin training his apprentices?
A long time ago, specifically [NDA], in a [NDA] far, far away, a ragtag [NDA]
11. Who trained Halaster?
My reply: [MAJOR NDA MAJOR NDA MAJOR NDA ASSUME CONTROL ASSUME CONTROL]
Ahem. It will probably come as no surprise to you to learn that my answers to 12 (What would Halaster’s alignment have been a) when he began training his apprentices b) when he created Halaster’s Hold?) must also be the grim silence of the NDA fortress wall. (Sorry. I am, truly.)

<sigh>... another example of a perfectly serviceable villain removed from the canon Realms for the sake of change. (Actually, I have a deeper theory on this, but I'll keep it to myself to avoid a CK CoC-endangering rant.) I'll assume that because of the ongoing efforts to gather Halaster's soul-shards, there won't be many NDAs lifted here... but publications over the last five and a half years, such as Expedition to Undermountain, will hopefully release some answers for us.

I have other questions, but they're based on my speculations earlier in this scroll that (due to NDAs) you could not comment on except to hint that I'm on the right track. That being said, I won't ask those questions at this time.

Thanks again to you both, Ed and THO, and my apologies for the "quote bloat" of this post. I eagerly await anything new you can tell me about the Mad Mage.

Edited by - Jakk on 11 Apr 2010 00:54:44
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2010 :  15:40:49  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
A question that came to me by thinking of Blackstaff and Ascendancy of the Last: What happens to souls of Chosen? Are they claimed by their gods? If so, do the gods respect the private wishes of the souls? Because Khelben got ot go to Arvandor, despite being a Chosen of Mystra. And what happens to the Chosen of two gods, such as Qilue (had she not died the way she did)? Do the gods 'duke it out', or let the soul choose?
EDIT: Another quesiton I suddenly thought of: What did Symrustar do in the 20 years from her madness and disappearence to her reappearence and rebirth as a Chosen?

Edited by - Menelvagor on 11 Apr 2010 22:24:23
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  10:22:39  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
Greetings Mr. Greenwood,
I only wanted to ask why is Alea Dahast potrayed as a warrior in your novel "Cormyr" co-written with Jeff Grubb? She is a high mage in all other sources, including C:EoE and FoMD...
Maybe Mr. Grubb could answer this question too...
Thanks in advance,
Zireael

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  11:17:19  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by Melfius
6 October 2004

<chop; questions reposted with answers in THO's posts below>

quote:
8 October 2004

Melfius, I bring you the rather frisky (and incomplete; see hereafter) replies of Ed, as follows:

1. What is the name of the seventh apprentice? Was it Ezzat as detailed in the Ruins of Undermountain II? Or is Nandel Greenward? Hmmm. That makes eight. I hate mysteries.
[NDA]
2. Do any of the aforementioned apprentices have last names?
Yes, but they’ve not been remembered by, or are not known to, our Realms sources consulted thus far. Perhaps they’ll be revealed in the fullness of [NDA]
5. At what point did Halaster decide to change his name from Hilather?
[NDA]
6. Where/When was Halaster born?
A long time ago, specifically [NDA] in [NDA]

quote:
12 October 2004

Hello, all.
<chop>
10. Where/When did Halaster begin training his apprentices?
A long time ago, specifically [NDA], in a [NDA] far, far away, a ragtag [NDA]
11. Who trained Halaster?
My reply: [MAJOR NDA MAJOR NDA MAJOR NDA ASSUME CONTROL ASSUME CONTROL]
Ahem. It will probably come as no surprise to you to learn that my answers to 12 (What would Halaster’s alignment have been a) when he began training his apprentices b) when he created Halaster’s Hold?) must also be the grim silence of the NDA fortress wall. (Sorry. I am, truly.)

Of course, I'm not the Greenwood, nor THO, but weren't some of the questions above answered in GHotR (although I think that in 2004, these were still NDA'd)?

1. Halaster's roster of seven apprentices is listed under the entry for 307 DR: "Arcturia, Jhesiyra Kestellharp, Muiral the Misshapen, Nester, Marambra Nyghtsteel, Rantantar, and Trobriand the Metal Mage." Not sure which one was the missing "seventh", but it seems to be neither of the ones listed by Melfius.
2. A couple have their last name listed although (and I will be sufficiently presumptuous to channel Big Ed / THO here): "Just because they are not mentioned does not mean they do not have any..."
5. When he arose from his temporal statis in 128 DR, he was still going by Hilather; when he established his tower on the site of Waterdeep (168 DR), he apparently introduced himself as Halaster Blackcloak. I would guess that he changed his name when he decided to set up shop over the old Sargauth Enclave's site, in order to hide his links with the Shoon empire (I am guessing that he completely wanted to obscure his Imaskari roots).
6. Hilather was Imaskari, and therefore presumably was born there, some time prior to the fall of the Imaskari empire, as he's noted as entering a temporal stasis in -2488 DR. I presume he must already have been quite old / experienced at the time, as the entry describes him as one of the Lord Artificers (and I presume in Imaskar you don't carry the title without the moxie to back it up).
10. Presumably after 128 DR ("Ah, wakey, wakey. How long have I been asleep?") and 307 DR (first mention in GHotR of the apprentices). I say "presumably", because I assume that the apprentices did not go into stasis with him at the fall of the Imaskari empire.
12 b) - Since his post-stasis CV, prior to setting up Halaster's Hold, included working for the Shoon empire, helping them to improve their demon-binding repertoire, one could speculate that in canon he was already CE when he set up Halaster's Hold. Although personally I would find that a bit simple (or even simplistic...).

Ah, Halaster... One of my favourite characters in FR, along with that other Waterdhavian archmage, Khelben (now both RIP).

Edited by - Thauramarth on 12 Apr 2010 15:45:03
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  14:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Another question, coming from re-reading Elminster in Myth Drannor, which I'm doing in order to expang my campaign:
What was the eventual fate of Amaranthae Auglamyr, Symrustar's cousin and High Court Mage Earynspieir? It appeared she was enamoured of High Court Mage Earynspieir, and he of her, but there is no information in Cormanthyr or Fall of Myth Drannor regarding their fates - although it is mentioned that Earynspieir learned/taught in Windsong Tower.
Also, regardign Syrumstar's symbol it says in Elminster In Myth Drannor: "upon the ravaged flesh beneath traced the first golden symbol Mystra had put in his mind; the one that would shine there forever." Why is it that the tatto on Syrumstar's stomach stays in Elmisnter's mind forever? Does this have any significance or use?

Edited by - Menelvagor on 12 Apr 2010 14:20:30
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  15:48:45  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
From Cloak of Shadows:

"Sharantyr shivered again, recalling days of pain and humiliation, and nights of eerie terror, as the glowing, gelatinous fungi had crept slowly down the stone walls where she lay chained by the throat to a huge ring in the wall, bedded on hard, sharp human skulls, and flowed over her, their translucent pseudopods covering her with glistening slime as they lapped at her wounds and body openings, healing and cleansing her, absorbing her wastes and blood and energy alike, leaving her too weak to work toward any escape."

Could Ed tell us some more about this, rather icky but useful, fungi?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  18:01:13  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks, waiting patiently.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  20:31:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed hath returned from Ad Astra tired but happy, reinvigorated by talking with many writers, editors, and game designers there (particular highlights for him were the shared worlds panel with Aaron Allston, Eric Flint, Todd McCaffrey, and animator Robert Pincombe, and visiting with Adrienne Kress, Suzanne Church, Gabrielle Harbowy, and Michelle West again (individually, of course).
Re. this, from Zirzeael: "Greetings Mr. Greenwood, I only wanted to ask why is Alea Dahast portrayed as a warrior in your novel "Cormyr" co-written with Jeff Grubb? She is a high mage in all other sources, including C:EoE and FoMD."
Ed replies:

Ah, this confusion comes from reading "class" in the game too literally for "profession" in the "real world" of the Realms. Alea was leading a military force in the scenes we see her in, in CORMYR: A NOVEL. She was, thus, "being a warrior." A high mage is what she became in elven society; all high mages serve many roles in their communities as they proceed through life.

Ed also tells Menelvagor:

Most of your recently-posted Symrustar (and her kin) followup questions are, I'm afraid, firmly NDA'd.
Your question re. the Chosen's fates upon death attempts to derive a "general rule" answer, but sorry; Chosen are by their nature unique, and the answer is "each case is different." Some Chosen are "rescued" by this deity or that to continue to serve in another form (given another sort of life, or even resurrected as mortal). This is largely kept mysterious to other mortals, even priests of that deity.

And he adds, to all scribes:

Halaster is also a figure enshrouded in NDAs, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to remain silent on most queries regarding "what happened to him," and "why," or who he may or may not have served. Which statement should, of course, tell you all something. :}

So saith Ed. Who must run now, he tells me, to catch up on all the work that has piled up whilst he was at the convention.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  21:14:23  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
"Most of your recently-posted Symrustar (and her kin) followup questions are, I'm afraid, firmly NDA'd."
But most is not all! Does this mean that eventually (without the need for NDA's to fall), I may have answers for some of my questions?

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  23:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Talk of Maraunth Torr and Halaster reminds me: I personally try not to ask Ed to bare definite mysteries like that. For elaborations, clarifications, detail on subjects Realms-folk would know, yes, but I like my Realms with many mysterious loose ends, and while Ed will always weave new ones into his revelations, I'd suggest thinking carefully before asking him to give up too many secrets because too many potentials in his world have already been wasted or passed by -- and Ed's kindness may some days overmatch his prudence.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  16:14:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Very well said, Faraer! I have heard Ed and many other writers (usually at panels at various conventions) talk about the art of what should be left out of the story when writing fiction, and although this runs directly counter to the fan's lust for details (doubled in gamers, for obvious reasons of play utility), usually the writer's instincts regarding what's left unsaid SHOULD win.
Menelvagor, some of your questions (no, Ed's not going to identify which ones) will eventually get answered in future published Realmslore. Where, when, and how must also remain mysterious. So the NDAs probably won't ever get formally lifted, but will be rendered obsolete by publication. Ed will answer what he can, when he can...but right now he's busy with taxes - - and with some of the 2004 outstanding lore questions!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  16:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi, THO! I had to miss Ad Astra, but I heard from a friend who did attend that you were there, and that Ed read from his forthcoming Spin A Yarn story at his author reading! Can you confirm?
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  16:21:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Yes, I was there, concealing myself behind a lot of makeup and a rather risque Steampunk burlesque costume - - but no, Ed did NOT read from the new Spin A Yarn. He'd never jeopardize WotC copyright like that! Rather, he read a few snatches of a very old Spin A Yarn tale, to illustrate how to incorporate difficult/possibly contradictory story features (because so much of those tales are features "given" to him by the seminar audience).
Ed fully intends to be at Ad Astra NEXT year - - and so do I!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  16:41:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all!
Yes, I was there, concealing myself behind a lot of makeup and a rather risque Steampunk burlesque costume ...
Any chance for a brief description, milady? The Lady K is considering something similar for a local con later this year [she's intent on designing some or all of it herself], but has yet to find any particularly alluring costume designs on the web.

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  16:46:10  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
And we were so generous with our gifts last time as well.
The things you can do with pudding...
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  18:34:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Sage, the theme was Steampunk Burlesque, and I like many others did this: button boots, petticoats with bustle gown over it (gathered up at one side to show leg), then full corset, and black silk translucent fingerless "opera gloves." On the head: a tiny bowler hat pinned askew above one temple, with a l-o-o-ong peacock feather depending from it. Oh, and a parasol and fan.
The costumes were gorgeous, but thus far on flckr and Facebook I only see last year's vastly inferior Ad Astra steampunk show. I'll alert you if I see any nice pics of the truly stunning (and far younger than moi) ladies I was strolling with...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000