Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Tormtar
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  11:16:33  Show Profile  Visit Tormtar's Homepage Send Tormtar a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady Hooded, would it be possible to give any identities of recent (c. 1370s) rangers who have been named Leaders of the Hunt, as mentioned on p. 48 of Magic of Faerun? Many thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  15:22:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
saethone, rest assured your question is in Ed's hands, and he's currently investigating just how much HIS NDAs allow him to tell you, by way of an answer.
As for players' NDAs: back in 1986, when TSR wanted to purchase the Realms, all of Ed's then-current players were asked to sign release forms and accept one US dollar (which Ed paid on behalf of TSR, BTW!) for all rights to "their" characters (almost all of whom Ed had created [names, stats and back stories], but which the players were of course "writing the rest of the histories of" through play). If anyone refused, their character just wouldn't ever be mentioned in the published Realms (no one did).
Since then, at "pick up" games and when Ed's running charity tournament events, no NDAs are required or asked for (if Ed's playtesting something or using not-yet-published "to become official" lore, he would never tell - - but most of the time he re-uses "old favourite" PCs he created years ago, for play sessions done "just for fun"). In the early days of the published Realms, he used to draw portraits of the PCs, frame them, and present them as mementoes to the players.
Rest assured that Ed is well aware of the huge stack of not-yet-fully-answered queries, some of which (as Sage mentioned) date back to the early months of 2004, and intends to answer them all, when and if he can. When he can do so speedily, he does, just to keep them from joining that stack (which is how saethone was able to see that most recent ones had been answered or at least acknowledged)!
Hang in there, fellow scribes. Ed is on the job. And writing new "future official" lore as fast as he can, too. Me, I'm increasingly hungry for the new novels...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  20:37:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
since 2004??? please tell Ed MAster of the Greenwood, that you heard my jaw hit my pc table, and then the floor.

If it hasnt been asked, and only out of my curiosity, but what does each faith of the REalms call their temples??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  22:21:15  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
quote:
Me, I'm increasingly hungry for the new novels...

Speaking of which, any new teasers from El must die? :)
Go to Top of Page

Milith holder of HB8
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  22:37:58  Show Profile  Visit Milith holder of HB8's Homepage Send Milith holder of HB8 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

since 2004??? please tell Ed MAster of the Greenwood, that you heard my jaw hit my pc table, and then the floor.

If it hasnt been asked, and only out of my curiosity, but what does each faith of the REalms call their temples??

...um, temples?

Or do you mean specific templese? Most people from medival times just refered to them as temples and this has probably carried over. Sure, you probably have a few churchs and the like, but all in all, they're probably the same name.

Now, you might be refering to the specific names, in which case it's probably names after a person of great importance, someone who funded the building of the temple, or even a place of importance/location of the temple.

For example, if Lord Nasher helped fund a temple of Torm, it might be called Nasher's Temple of Torm. Or in another case, it might be named after someone who holds great influence or importance in the realms, such as Elminster's Temple of Mystra. And of course, you could always encounter a The Waterdeep Temple of Lathander.

Hey, babe, see my shiny teeth as I smile my very best wolf smile- Ed Greenwood.

Edited by - Milith holder of HB8 on 05 Apr 2010 23:15:43
Go to Top of Page

saethone
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  22:44:02  Show Profile  Visit saethone's Homepage Send saethone a Private Message
Wow, 2004? You really have your work cut out for you, Lol! The reply is appreciated - and your and Ed's work does not go unnoticed :)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  01:09:39  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Oh yeah. 2004. I'm not sure if I've got any that old, though I know I asked some back then. I know I've got a few from 2005. Not that I remember exactly what they are any more, but that will just make it all the better when Ed finally gets around to them. Like getting a Christmas present that you wanted so much and for so long, you've forgotten you wanted.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  05:52:56  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Looking over at my post count, I noticed that I seemed to have broken 2000 and become a Great Reader.

So, in the spirit of that, could Ed possibly give us some names and details of more famous (and more deserving than I) Great Readers from Candlekeep?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  09:08:07  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Ed and/or THO and/or others,

Today I have two questions.

The first, another of those 'Realmspeak' place adjective vs. place adjective queries:
Last night, I came across "Thayvian" in Calimport (although I have 'heard' that term before).

Is "Thayvian" also just a more archaic version of "Thayan" that somehow fell out of favour for some Realmsian reason, or was "Thayvian" replaced by the more correct "Thayan" (since it was already used IIRC in Spellfire) in later printed material about Thay? Or was Calimport an anomaly, using "Thayvian" incorrectly?

Did Elminster (or indeed any of the other Chosen–of Mystra–with Wizard levels) ever have a wizard's familiar/s?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Edit: My first question has already been answered.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 07 Apr 2010 07:51:55
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  15:05:09  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Um, didn't the "Thayan/Thayvian" thing get answered in this thread, just a few pages back?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  16:26:21  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Um, didn't the "Thayan/Thayvian" thing get answered in this thread, just a few pages back?
BB

Nope, that was "Luskar/Luskanite". A few pages back I also asked about "Turmian/Turmishan", which might be what's confusing you BB.

Edit: You are indeed correct, as pointed out by our very own bloodhound. Truly, the Sage's search fu is strong!

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 07 Apr 2010 07:56:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  16:42:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

BB

Back on pg. 11 in mid-February, actually:-
quote:
Gelcur, you have INDEED! I'll leave it Ed to relate the tale, hopefully as soon as possible!
Menelvagor, superb questions , as usual. Let me just tackle your first and your last (Ed will do them too, and better): "Thayvian" has the same meaning as "Thayan," but is an older way of identifying something or someone of Thay. It's still heard today, especially among scholars and pedants, but "Thayan" has in recent centuries become far more popular.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  16:48:11  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message
Dear Ed and our Lady Hooded One, I was wondering about the common roads in Fearun and the most used types encountered. Roads are important parts of the reason why cities can form. So are there any regional differences between the trade roads in areas such as the Swordcoast, the Moonshaes and the Dragoncoast? Historically speaking is a typical road around Cormyr build apon some kind of old elven hunting path or would these roads be usually human made? What are the trademark identifiers for elven, dwarven or goblin roads? What are the chances of having actual paved roads, or are most only dirt tracks? Are destination signs common? Are roads property of a whole realm or do most belong to no-one? What realm in Fearun would be considered to own the most extensive network of roads?

What period of time would be considered the time of great human (or elven) road (re)building? Are humans best equiped to build roads, bridges and tunnels fast or do dwarven engineers still hold the best papers?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  19:36:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Bladewind, Ed has "sort of" answered your roads queries several times in the past. For Cormyr, in general, roads are as follows: corduroy in swampy bits, and carried across watercourses by truss wooden bridges, but in general surfaced with gravel, over high-banked (thus, ditches for draining) earth. The earth is "rammed hard" by running stone-loaded wagons over it and then by War Wizard spell, and the gravel surface is then "half-fused" into glassy slag by spell, and loose gravel tossed over it while still soft, to render a rough "good-traction" surface. Winter frost heaves and cracks this constantly, of course, and spring floods tear out or destroy bridges, so constant maintenance is required, especially in spring...but mud (on main roads) isn't the great problem you'd think it would be. On "lanes" (muddy cart-tracks), of course, mud IS a huge problem...
(This is all paraphrased from Ed's notes and his DM descriptions to us during play. I will of course send your question on to him for a proper answer...about all the OTHER roads in the Realms, for instance.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  23:02:43  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message
Ooh, thanks for the quick responce, melady!

Interresting to see that normal cormyrean roads are made by spell-enhanced engineering. Would the end result look abit like the image is the link below?http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/halo/mp/muotka/GravelRoad_305.jpg
It lacks real ditches though so a fearunian road would be slightly more elevated, nay?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  03:38:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, EXCEPT (I forgot this bit, earlier): over the exposed rocks, a THIN layer of straw mixed with mud would be laid, to spare the horses' hooves...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  08:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
A question that perhaps may be better directed towards Steven, since he wrote the lore, but since it deals with Elminster and the Srinshee, I thought it better to ask Ed:
Steven wrote in Fall of Myth Drannor regarding Syrumstar's Choker that 'The choker also contains two unique spells that cannot be physically recorded into a spellbook, and thus are known only to the wearer of the choker.' These spells are Mystra's Miasma and Syrumstar's Spellbinding.
My question is, are these spells truly only known by Syrumstar and/or any wearers of her Choker? That is, they apparently cannot be written, but did she not teach any others (that is, Elminster and The Srinshee) these spells? Other spells were obviously shared, as it says 'Symrustar managed to record over 100 spells that were once close-kept secrets of one House or another. These spells were always shared with Elminster Aumar, the Srinshee, the Coronal, and various faculties of wizards schools in Myth Drannor.'
Also, is it possible for anyone else to develop/create these spells, or similiar ones (that is, with the same effects)?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  11:09:31  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I am using Sheera Goldenleaf and Ellarian Dawnhorn in an upcoming adventure (to be turned in next friday).
I am however unsure what their (sub)race is. I settled on them being sun elves.
Right now their descriptions are as follows:

Ellarian is strong and tall, even for eladrin, and almost always dressed for battle. Her red hair, fading to blond, is normally loose.

Sheera is breathtakingly beautiful eladrin woman. She dresses in plain and practical dress, favoring dark yellow and green.

Not very detailed, but functional enough (adventure text notes background and the subrace). If anyone knows whether I have the racial info right or wrong, please let me know.
(I asked it a while back, but it was a bit obfuscated in another question. I *think* I have it right - though there is always the possibility that Sheera is a moon elf or wood elf)

Gomez

Edited by - gomez on 07 Apr 2010 11:13:25
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  13:44:35  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

A question that perhaps may be better directed towards Steven, since he wrote the lore, but since it deals with Elminster and the Srinshee, I thought it better to ask Ed:
Steven wrote in Fall of Myth Drannor regarding Syrumstar's Choker that 'The choker also contains two unique spells that cannot be physically recorded into a spellbook, and thus are known only to the wearer of the choker.' These spells are Mystra's Miasma and Syrumstar's Spellbinding.
My question is, are these spells truly only known by Syrumstar and/or any wearers of her Choker? That is, they apparently cannot be written, but did she not teach any others (that is, Elminster and The Srinshee) these spells? Other spells were obviously shared, as it says 'Symrustar managed to record over 100 spells that were once close-kept secrets of one House or another. These spells were always shared with Elminster Aumar, the Srinshee, the Coronal, and various faculties of wizards schools in Myth Drannor.'
Also, is it possible for anyone else to develop/create these spells, or similiar ones (that is, with the same effects)?

This has nothing to do with the lore, but Mystra's Miasma was re-published as Miasma (Spell Compendium, p 137) for 3E.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  17:14:07  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Really? I didn't know that. Did it change anything in the requirements listed The Fall of Myth Drannor, though?
On a side note, that change had pros and cons. One of the cons was that spells became less personal - my friends enjoyed knowing they were casting a spell developed by this or that mage. But there were pros as well - one of them being that it cut down on arguments. Whenever they adventured and cast a spell not native to that world, they couldn't understand how it was named for a mage who had never existed in that world, and would forever argue with the DM about it.
EDIT: Just remembered another question: We know several mages from Faerun have been to Earth. At least (if I recall correctly) Elminster, Khelben and the Simbul. Do we know why? Also, could they cast magic there, or access their powers from Mystra?
I'm planning on using this information to know how realistic it would be for me to have my players seek Syrumstar on Earth, so if there's anything else relevant to add regarding relations between Earth and Faerun (time - how it passes relatively, portals - where, language - how close is common to [insert language here], etc.) I'd like to know.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Edited by - Menelvagor on 07 Apr 2010 17:30:14
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  17:39:24  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Really? I didn't know that. Did it change anything in the requirements listed The Fall of Myth Drannor, though?
On a side note, that change had pros and cons. One of the cons was that spells became less personal - my friends enjoyed knowing they were casting a spell developed by this or that mage. But there were pros as well - one of them being that it cut down on arguments. Whenever they adventured and cast a spell not native to that world, they couldn't understand how it was named for a mage who had never existed in that world, and would forever argue with the DM about it.
EDIT: Just remembered another question: We know several mages from Faerun have been to Earth. At least (if I recall correctly) Elminster, Khelben and the Simbul. Do we know why? Also, could they cast magic there, or access their powers from Mystra?
I'm planning on using this information to know how realistic it would be for me to have my players seek Syrumstar on Earth, so if there's anything else relevant to add regarding relations between Earth and Faerun (time - how it passes relatively, portals - where, language - how close is common to [insert language here], etc.) I'd like to know.

I don't have my copy of Fall with me right now, but I'll check it out later and let you know.

Regarding the named spells, Ed actually discussed this in his articles "Magic in the Evening" (Dragon #185, p.56; meeting between Elminster and Mordenkainen) and "The Wizards Three" (Dragon #188, p.26; meeting between Dalamar, Elminster and Mordenkainen).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  18:57:28  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Oh? What did he say? I don't have these articles.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  20:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Some of my favorite of Ed's works are "The Wizards Three" articles from Dragon. There were at least four of them, maybe a few more, and they involve El, Mordankainen (can never spell his name properly), and Dalamar coming over to Ed's house for hot dogs, ice cream, pizza, and general other pantry-raiding. They talk, trade practical jokes, and exchange spells, with Ed giving us write-ups at the end of the article.

They're great. Witty, fun, and the spells are great too; most of them weird and wonderful in the way 2e spells were and 3e spells usually weren't. And yes, magic works just fine. We see floating ice cream tubs, teleportation, polymorphs, even an out-and-out mage-duel with competing time stops.

Why they come is left more up in the air, I think it's primarily (for Mord and Dalamar) that it's neutral ground, and for El, because he's having fun with Ed. Other mages (Khelben, Laeral) have been shown popping into the offices of various developers because they wanted to see that they're properly depicted and that things don't get too wild. As for other reasons, those are left appropriately vague, but we do know that the Imaskari, at least, used Earth as a conveniant place to find large numbers of slaves...

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 07 Apr 2010 20:26:13
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  21:05:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Dangit! I forgot to check my DragonDex before posting before...

Aye, Hoondatha is right, their were more than just the two I mentioned before. Ed's Wizards Three articles also appeared in Dragon #196 (p82), #200 (p20), #211 (p82), #238 (p42), #242 (p48) and #246 (p86). All of them are available on the Dragon Magazine Archive (which is also available on eBay) is NOT cheap, but is well-worth the price. Heck, I'd say that TSR's selling this in 1999 was probably one of their greatest ideas. The interface it came with to read the PDFs on the disc is pretty crappy, but the magazines are all in PDF format, so you just need to open them with Acrobat Reader.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  21:46:25  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
By the Triplets! 'Not Cheap', huh? Although if you think of it, even for $370, it's still less than $2 an issue... still far too much for me in the near-by future. My main problem with these articles (other than the fact I don't have them) is that they seem to be written in a somewhat humorist style, which makes me question their application, if not their canonity (that probably isn't an 'official' word). The point is, can one reliably deduct from these articles how to apply the rules of Earth on mages from Faerun? Heck, i don't even know if the Weave exists on Earth! They might be using some other method. And if the Weave doesn't exist, is Mystra even present or able to manifest her powers?
Which makes me wonder... with the death of Mystra, what happens to her artifacts that survived the Spellplague intact? Do they lose their power? For example, what would happen to Myrjala's Eyes? With the death of Mystra, you couldn't use it to talk with her anymore, so it essentially becomes a portrait, no?

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  23:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
That humour is a big part of the Realms: there's too much oversolemn Realms work that jarringly lacks it.

The Weave is both the web of magical and natural energy-flows and threads that suffuses Toril -- seen, to name just one instance, in "Bloodbound" -- and the lore and practice of drawing on it. (I think Ed's statements here suggesting that it's only the latter are therefore partial, and the idea of the Weave vanishing and Faerūn being kinda OK is nonsense.) Although not identical to Toril's Weave, we've seen that other worlds like Oerth and Earth have energy patterns similar enough that Art learned in Faerūn can make magic with them.

(noun: 'canon'; adjective: 'canonical'; noun-form of adjective: 'canonicity'; none of which have much to do, by my lights, with the Realms)
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  02:23:46  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
Did the Wemics, loxxo and the tri kreen that lived in the south survive the palgue??? and where do both species call home now?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  03:20:15  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message
Hello THO, et al. I'm a long time reader, first time writer in this thread.

I was wondering if you could provide any information about the village of Gray Oaks in Cormyr prior to the Time of Troubles. I'm running a game set in Cormyr in 1356 and one of my players is considering having his halfling character be from there. Any interesting tidbits you could share would be much appreciated.

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  15:52:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Re. this, from createvmind: "Are there any infamous "ressurection men/ bodysnatchers" on the Sword Coast in early 1370's, say in Scornubel, Soubar regions.
Can you tell us of any unique "experimemt creature/construct/mutations wandering anywhere in same areas below or above ground during same time period? I'm thinking many a spell caster tried to augment other beings to make them resistant to magic, able to reflect all magic hurled at them and met with failure 90+% of the time. Did you have any such creatures in your home games? Constructs seems to be most successful in making them proof against magic, I still hope you have tidbits of unique constructs."

Ed's very busy right now taking care of all sorts of mundane demands before he takes off for Ad Astra (the annual sf/fantasy convention in Toronto, Canada, this Friday through Sunday, where he'll be on panels, be signing autographs, wandering about chatting, and doing a reading), but I can START to answer this question by reference to the experiences of the players of the Knights in Ed's "home" Realms campaign.

Yes, there are lots of bodysnatchers active in the Realms wherever lawkeeping is corrupt, lax, or just inadequate, AND there's a market for bodies (those exerimenting in necromancy and the creation of constructs). In the 1350s through 1370s in the Realms, important locations for this are: Lashan, Waterdeep (VERY secretive and careful, but happening, using Undermountain and Skullport), Scornubel, Westgate, Tantras, Telflamm, Myratma, Unthalass, and all small settlements within reach of Thay. It also happens from time to time everywhere, as those working for individual priests and necromancers "snatch" bodies, or even living foes or criminals, of select individuals.
Yes, there were lots of guardian constructs in our home games, but (aside from crawling claws and the like) not so many "wandering" ones. Many of Ed's construct undead and automatons/constructs have appeared in the official rules of various editions of the D&D/AD&D game, probably far more than most gamers think or remember were Ed's work. Yes, we fought lots of unique constructs, often flying talking skulls or flying, talking masks - - and yes, in Scornubel, there was at least one successful golem maker.
We'll no doubt learn a lot more when Ed has time to answer these questions properly, of course. He'll probably fall e-silent during the con, because he doesn't check e-mail or tweet or gon online when at cons; he actually attends the cons and devotes his attention to what's going on there. I MAY also fall silent, because once again I'm going to try to drop in on Ed at Ad Astra and have a visit, though I'm far from Toronto right now.
For those who do want to attend: the hotel off Wynford Drive, occupying the NE corner of where the Don Valley Parkway crosses over Eglinton Avenue East. Canada's longest-running fantasy and sf con, lots of important writers attending, look at: www.ad-astra.org if you're interested.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  16:02:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and Menelvagor: Ed's Wizards Three articles have been superceded by later editions of the game ("outdating" both some of the spells and the formats they were written in), but they have ALWAYS been considered canon. They were written at the request of TSR, who wanted something in print to "link together" all of their "big fantasy setting 'worlds'" and keep up fan interest in them, they were dovetailed with what was "going on" in the internal histories (and publication schedules) of those worlds, and for the Realms they of course fall under the "if Ed writes or says it, it's canon until superceded by later official Realms products" rule that governs the Realms. (And to those, either fans or publishers' staff or spokespersons, who disagree with that definition of Realms canon: sorry, you're stuck with it. It's the condition under which anyone outside of Ed and players in his home campaign or friends who read his unpublished fiction got to see the Forgotten Realms at all, and can't be changed by the opinions of others, unless Ed agrees to it.)
As Faraer correctly points out, a humourous tone has nothing at all to do with whether or not something is canon. (Yes, that argument has been raised several times about the Spin A Yarn tales - - but they, too, are canon unless or until contradicted or declared "didn't happen" or "didn't happen like that" in print, officially.) Humour is an integral, vital part of the Realms.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000