Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2010 :  00:08:23  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
is there anything you can tell us about Furjur the Flippant, beyond the fragments in print already? Anything at all?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2010 :  00:11:53  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
If a noble patriarch of Cormyr and his son and heir get into a furious argument over something major (like who the son is going to marry, or what families their family will or will not be friendly with) in public (i.e. a feast or revel held by someone else, and attended by lots of folk), will they "take it somewhere private"? Patch over their anger until later? What? I'm sure it'll vary with individuals, but I'm really looking for what's the "proper" or "respectable" thing to do, here.
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
648 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2010 :  12:39:03  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Language in the Realms is varied and ever-changing (deliberately so, to make it seem more like the real world, and therefore more real).

This brings me neatly to my next "Realmspeak" query:
"Dalefolk" or "Dalesfolk"? I've seen both used in official sources, but cannot determine if the former is a more specific version (perhaps describing only the folk of Shadowdale), or if they are merely used interchangeably.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

I am a sexy, shoeless god of war!

The Sellplague began, for all intents and purposes, in the dominions of the Corporation. Greed murdered Good Design, unraveling common sense in the cosmos and destroying her dominion. At the same time, Sales Fears and Warcraft Envy happened into alignment. This cataclysmic coincidence led to upheaval, shaking apart the primeval order, opening up holes in wallets, and reshaping everything...
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2010 :  14:30:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Kyrene, they are used interchangeably. "Dalesfolk" is slightly more scholarly (sages, courtiers) and "Dalefolk" slightly more colloquial (a guy at an inn talking), but these are shades and tendencies rather than hard-and-fast.

As it happens, this is one of the terms (like the "Lolth/Lloth" matter) that Ed and the TSR designers, back in the day, specifically discussed and decided upon.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  14:27:26  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
I would like to ask dear Lady Hooded, what humanoid races were there in Ed's campaign?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  02:36:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
arry, I presume (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you mean "humanoid" as opposed to "demi-human" (e.g. orcs, et al).
The answer is "are" rather than "were" and to put it simply: all of them. Onstage? The occasional orc, goblin, bugbear, hobgoblin, kobold, or flind band. Most of Ed's villains or challenges for our PCs are humans (sometimes undead or otherwise augmented/modified) who quite often use coerced, trained, or guardian monsters. Half-orcs are fairly common in less law-abiding cities, like Scornubel and Luskan.
Aside from one foray into the Save Coast North backcountry, when the wilderlands were simply CRAWLING with orcs, we Knights have tended to adventure in places where humanoids don't dominate.
If you mean the wider definition of "humanoid" (upright bipeds, so as to include gnomes, dwarves, elves (including drow), and humans - - well, my answer then changes to: Ed's campaign is DOMINATED by "humanoids."
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 18 Mar 2010 02:37:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29892 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  03:55:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I have a question for THO....

while playing in one of Ed's games.
what was the most ammount of damamge that you can remember doing in one swing?

I think that what was hit would be the better question.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  04:32:11  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I have a question for THO....

while playing in one of Ed's games.
what was the most ammount of damamge that you can remember doing in one swing?

I think that what was hit would be the better question.

And what she was wearing [or wasn't wearing] while executing the hit.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2887 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  05:45:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  09:27:33  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  14:15:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahem. Gallant scribes, I thank you for those warm and lascivious thoughts...
To answer sfdragon's question soberly and directly:
As a player, I can't be certain, because there's visible immediate damage, and then there are consequences (killing a rebel leader who was about to unleash civil war obviously does more "damage" to that cause than killing three wavering-loyalty rebels who were sitting in an isolated farmhouse drinking themselves into not taking part in the rebellion).
However, of the immediate visible damage done by single attacks I've landed, I BELIEVE the most impressive was a fight on the balcony of a mansion, wherein my (wounded) character's desperate hack sliced the hand off a foe on the stone balcony railing, as I shouldered him over the edge. His body fell through a skylight and onto a table below, doing much damage to a meeting of villains taking place around that table from the flying glass - - and his severed hand, gripping an enchanted sword, flew through the air and down into a chimney that descended to a lit hearth in a room where a fell wizard was awakening a dragon from stasis. The sword came into contact with both the hearth-fire and a spell that had just been cast, and the resulting blast took out the wizard, the dragon, and the building around them, causing a deadly rain of stone shards that slew or wounded many lesser villains who were restlessly roaming the mansion grounds, waiting for their leaders to wind up that meeting around the table. Fires were started, frightened survivors started swording each other in the smoke and confusion, and some of the villains' allies misinterpreted the turmoil at the mansion as meaning the authorities had uncovered the plot, and rushed to attack before they were properly organized and ready, allowing the outnumbered ruling forces to prevail.
No, I'm not going to be more specific about the place, the time, or the specific villain my character felled, because that could lead someone to easily identify my character.
Suffice it to say that with Ed as DM, players in an ongoing Realms campaign sometimes get to experience these glorious (or terrible) moments that reflect the interconnectedness of all things - - as one act precipitates consequence after unfolding consequence.
Ed remains THE Dungeon Master, in my mind.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2887 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  14:18:19  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Wow!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  14:28:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
One thing I'm moved to say after reading some recent threads here at the Keep: scribes who still have their campaigns set in the mid-1300s, and don't (yet or ever) want to uproot everything and jump ahead into the late 1400s (the time-setting for the 4e Realms) should feel free to quiz Ed about 1350s, 1360s, and 1370s Realmslore. (Ed is working with various LFR and other freelance designers - - and editors, writers, and designers working for Wizards, too - - on 4e-era Realmslore, but is much less free to share details of that "more modern" lore.) Candlekeep can still function just fine as it always has, at the level of providing lore for individual campaigns humming along.
In short, "edition wars" shouldn't matter. DMs have always been able to pick and choose what they want to use of the lore provided, twist and modify it, and listen to what others have done either as entertainment or to inform themselves of alternatives, possibilities, and object lessons.
Ed has always portrayed Candlekeep in his Realms fiction ("The Endless Chants of Alaundo" is just one of the unpublished pieces that concern the Keep) as a community of scribes that live and work together, yet often hold fiercely opposed opinions, from scribe to scribe. "Of one accord but not one mind," as he put it.
We can all still do that.
Or, instead, speculate about what I'm not wearing.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2389 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  14:41:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Or, of course, we can do both...

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  16:49:52  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Good evening again. Time for another one of those outdated questions which I am unsure if Ed's allowed to answer.

The Uthgard never really felt "right" to me, so I wondered if it was possible for Ed to share any information on the Realms original barbarian tribes, such as the Snow Cat Nomads (p.52, Waterdeep and the North)? I am thinking before the Uthgard were added. What role did they play in the tapestry of peoples in the North and the Western Heartlands? The Grey Box give some minor details such as armament, but little about culture and general society of the different groups.

And as we are talking about barbarians and what The Hooded One is wearing, the mind does of course wander to fur bikinis and Raquel Welch.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  18:06:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Jorkens! Off to Ed your query goes. Yet by way of a beginning of an answer to it, here's what I know: the Uthgardt were substituted for Ed's barbarians (which he sent VERY little in to TSR about) by, I believe, Paul Jaquays. In play, we encountered individuals from Ed's Sword Coast barbarian tribes, and here's the skinny: they were hardy, black-haired, brown-skinned, burly nomads who had a culture centered on: place-spirits, moving around the landscape to stay near herds of "oroths" (musk oxen), "garauthae" (rothe) and "halagar" (stags, caribou, reindeer; the barbarians knew there were different sorts of hooved and antlered beasts, but didn't have different names for then) and to choose the times and places for fights with numerically-far-superior orcs (and hobgoblins, whom they hated especially and fought an ongoin war of extermination with), and whose clothing was, yes, hides and fur. Young males did "go wandering" down into warmer areas, often showing up in Silverymoon or Waterdeep, as part of their "coming of age" in barbarian culture, and Ed portrayed them as cunning, wary, tremendously strong and stubborn "Breckenridge Elkins" types (q.v. Robert E. Howard's A GENT FROM BEAR CREEK): innocent, amiable, sticking to a personal moral code, but easily duped by "city folk."
Centuries of warfare with the orcs, trolls, and hill giants of the North had pruned their numbers so that although Ed's barbarians did have rival tribes, they were far more apt to stand together against common foes than fight each other (barbarian-on-barbarian fights were unarmed and to first blood, not armed and to the death). Affairs were decided by elders, there were shamen but they advised and deferred to elders rather than trying to rule them, and all barbarians were omnivores skilled at living off the land. They were used to extreme cold, and would snowbathe naked in weather that left other humans, from warmer climes, huddling to keep warm inside shelter. They were used to long daily travels on foot, fighting with spears and rolled boulders and slung stones, and had stone daggers and axes if they hadn't won better (metal) weapons by scavenging them from the fallen. Dwarves often paid barbarians with metal weapons or tools in exchange for guiding across country on surface jaunts, and/or providing "large meat meals" for dwarves by hunting.

I've paraphrased most of this from Ed's "to his players" campaign notes.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  18:08:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, one addition:

One of the Sword Coast North barbarian tribes were known as the Dahareen (pronounced "Dah-har-EENE"). I know this was a name they themselves recognized and accepted without anger or demur, but I don't know if it began as a barbarian name, or a name by which non-barbarians called them.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 18 Mar 2010 18:19:35
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1970 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  18:37:34  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I have a question, but its from the Dead...

Would Ed ever consider Restoring the Wise Aluando to life???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Eye of Horus-Re
Seeker

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  20:39:11  Show Profile  Visit Eye of Horus-Re's Homepage Send Eye of Horus-Re a Private Message
Just a quick comment. After reading your answer to the damage question, I have only become more jealous of your great fortune to be a part of his gaming group. His imagination is unmatched IMO. The chain reaction from cutting one persons hand off is incredible! And thank you for sharing these things with us. It also must feel really awesome to see your character in print.

Long live 1384 and that which came before....!!!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3294 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  22:42:01  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
O Ed --

I was surprised to read in Swords of Dragonfire that, per Laspeera, 'all sufficiently gifted folk can craft portals' -- prior material being pretty clear that it's an art mostly lost to the modern Realms. The goods-vanishing phenomenon would have explained how Faerūnian trade looks as it does even with 3E easy-portal-crafting without writing into lore what seemed to me an obvious rules artefact.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  23:16:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Faraer, I pounced on that same thing, and Ed explained with a grin that Laspeera meant "has the ability to," not "knows how to, automatically, if the Art is strong enough within them."
Note the context in which Laspeera is speaking; to whom (and why she may have chosen the precise words she did, to manipulate/nudge that person).
It was more of a "you can't count any suspect out" inference than an observation that "everyone's doing it."
love,
THO
P.S. It's nice to know someone else applies the eagle eye to such details. I'm sure it's why Ed puts most of them in.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 18 Mar 2010 23:18:05
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  02:39:44  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Eye of Hores-Re

Just a quick comment. After reading your answer to the damage question, I have only become more jealous of your great fortune to be a part of his gaming group. His imagination is unmatched IMO. The chain reaction from cutting one persons hand off is incredible! And thank you for sharing these things with us. It also must feel really awesome to see your character in print.

Which inspires a question from me for Ed...

How does he balance the game with such cinematic scenes? I ask out of curiosity because I would like to include such scenes in my games, but I am unable to reconcile story-cinematics with game balance.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  02:54:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

Heh. Faraer, I pounced on that same thing, and Ed explained with a grin that Laspeera meant "has the ability to," not "knows how to, automatically, if the Art is strong enough within them."
Note the context in which Laspeera is speaking; to whom (and why she may have chosen the precise words she did, to manipulate/nudge that person).
It was more of a "you can't count any suspect out" inference than an observation that "everyone's doing it."
love,
THO
P.S. It's nice to know someone else applies the eagle eye to such details. I'm sure it's why Ed puts most of them in.

Interestingly enough, the 3rd Edition rules backed it up by making Portals part of the "Wondrous Items" magic so if you have the Create Wondrous Item feat, know the requisite spells (teleport, greater teleport, teleportation circle or gate), and the time and money, you can build portals. The Portal Master feat (PGF, p. 42) decreases the cost to build them.

Edit: I'm realizing that, because I'm mentioning 3.x, it may seem slightly inflammatory, but I just wanted to point out that there's a rules basis for creating portals, not anything else.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 19 Mar 2010 13:00:09
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2389 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  04:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Zandilar: Partly it depends on what kind of game balance you're going for, and how big or small fry your PC's are. THO's description reminded me of a similar happening that took place in a Shadowrun game I played in years ago. My group had been hired to steal a thingy out of a guarded compound. It was a very valuable thingy and a number of mutually-antagonistic power groups had sent representatives to bargain for it. Needless to say, there was a lot of security, including astrally projecting mages floating around the compound. Unfortunately, one of them was using a focus.

Now, foci, in Shadowrun, are very useful things for mages. But they also have a weakness: they can be targeted by spells. It's called grounding, and essentially you funnel your spell down the focus's astral presence and have it affect wherever the focus is on the physical plane. And your target number is the force of the focus (often quite low), rather than the stats of the mage (usually quite high), which can lead to rather, umm, spectacular effects.

Like in this case. One of our mages grounded a fireball through the focus, and since it was Force 2, rolled a huge number of successes. The fireball exploded from the focus pinned to the mage's jacket inside the compound, vaporizing him and his fellow wagemages. That entire wing of the compound went up in smoke, and of course all of the factions thought one of the other factions was trying to take the thingy by force. So they all went after each other.

The reason I mention how big or small your PC's are is because, this being Shadowrun, our PC's are by definition expendable. So our GM had no problem forcing us into a six way gun-and-magic battle, through prepared positions, much of which we barely saw in passing as we're running, ducking very low. At one point we're in an elevator and the door opens and we see about twenty people blazing away; trolls with miniguns, elves with swords, mages and shamen and spirits, even an honest-to-Ghost vampire! Our characters look at each other, and one guy says to my guy, "Uh... yeah. You take care of that." He pushes me out, the elevator closes, and they go on. My guy is red paste in about ten seconds.

Of course, you can get away with that in Shadowrun. Other games you'd have the players up in arms.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  06:20:51  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

In short, "edition wars" shouldn't matter.

Plus, info can cut both ways. I have used pre-plague material in post-plague adventures, including information from the keep.
Using 4th ed material for early campaigns may be a bit more of a challenge.
Oh, and here is some 4th-ed Ed lore, for those who have access to D&DI:

Tarmel Drouth, Outcast Noble
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/duad/20100319

who, incidently, can easily be dropped in earlier set campaigns...

Hmm. No stats for Drouth?

quote:

Or, instead, speculate about what I'm not wearing.

Well, there goes MY productivity for the day...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000