Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  14:31:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Wooly and Sage, Ed sent me this reply to you:

Yes, there have been artists murdered because of their work (though it's rare). Being shunned by most noble patrons is a more common fate. I'll do a proper reply on this as soon as I can snatch the time (embarking on taxes right now).
Re. paintings of royalty: a nude of a current queen, or a scene depicting any current royalty or the immediate parents of current royalty doing something humiliating (unclad, on their knees, being flogged or engaging in sexual acts in which they are the recipient rather than the dominant, for instance) would be considered in the worst of taste, and either kept hidden for private viewing (by the commissioning noble and perhaps one or two trusted friends whom he knows beforehand hold the same views on the royal personage in question) - - or would suffer arrest, fining, and public disgrace (plus burning of the offending painting) at the hands of local, loyal Purple Dragons, even without the royalty ever personally knowing about it. War Wizards and the heralds all act quickly on matters like this, to prevent disparagement of the royal family becoming an everyday, widespread affair.

So saith Ed. Who's promised me an addendum soon.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Mar 2010 14:32:57
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  14:41:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And here is that promised second bit, much sooner than I'd expected!
Heeeere's Ed:

Azoun IV, however, is a special case. If he's shown casually or wholly clad, talking with women, reading with women, arranging flowers with women, hunting with women, etc., that's all "just fine." If he or they are partially unclad, it's only okay if the scene is him fighting to protect them against a foe (who is NOT an angry husband, it should be pointed out). Nudes or partial nudes of past queens (before Filfaeril) are all right, so long as they are tasteful rather than caricatures or depicted in demeaning poses. (It has been slyly argued that as painters ALWAYS put crowns on the heads of females so the viewer will know they are queens, they are, in fact, never completely nude . . . but heralds and courtiers take the flat view of: showing breasts and/or crotch is a concern, showing legs, "half a haunch," bare arms and shoulders, "the swell of the bosom," and so on, is NOT a matter of concern.
In all cases, if a painter attempts an accurate (to the facts, as much as they are known) depiction of an actual event, this is a partially-mitigating defense against any complaints of "lewd" or "treasonous" art. So if Lady Delnwood fled naked from her bedchamber into the arms of the waiting King Azoun when her drunken sons burst in to wreck the room, that's "okay" as the subject of a painting. Because the King was in reality accompanied by a War Wizard, three courtiers, and a bodyguard of four Purple Dragons, and he and they were all fully clothed, it would NOT be okay for the artist to depict the waiting King, his arms outstretched to Lady Delnwood, as being alone and naked at the time.

So saith Ed. Who will add more when he can.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  14:46:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I should add one additional bit of lore, drawn from Ed's old notes:

It is an offense to copy an offending piece of art and show the copy "in public," so if a painting is deemed "banned," selling or displaying all copies of it, however inferior, is also a crime. (Note that as all paintings, as opposed to prints, are hand-painted, the copies need not be exact; if the offending elements are reproduced, no matter how badly, changing the setting, colour palette, or other details doesn't make the copy "acceptable."

So saith Ed. This should be obvious, but then there's the saying up in Canada: "Nothing is obvious to a doctor, lawyer, or academic. The rest of us have recourse to something called 'common sense.'"
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  15:00:31  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One:
or a scene depicting any current royalty or the immediate parents of current royalty doing something humiliating (unclad, on their knees, being flogged or engaging in sexual acts in which they are the recipient rather than the dominant, for instance) would be considered in the worst of taste

Would that imply that if the current royalty were the dominant in this sexual act, it would not be 'in the worst of taste'?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  20:57:31  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Are there any infamous "ressurection men/ bodysnatchers" on the Sword Coast in early 1370's, say in Scornubel, Soubar regions.

Can you tell us of any unique "experimemt creature/construct/mutations wandering anywhere in same areas below or above ground during same time period? I'm thinking many a spell caster tried to augment other beings to make them resistant to magic, able to reflect all magic hurled at them and met with failure 90+% of the time. Did you have any such creatures in your home games? Constructs seems to be most successful in making them proof against magic, I still hope you have tidbits of unique constructs.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  22:00:09  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
While we're on the subject of Cormyrian artists, I have two more questions to toss onto the pile:

1) Could Ed give us a couple of examples of famous, now-dead painters whose works would be known beyond fellow artists and art geeks, and whose works would be sought after (sort of like Monet or Van Gogh are here). I'm thinking of the ubiquitous "art object" entry in the 2e treasure tables. And if he could give a brief description of the kinds of subjects they liked to paint, that would be great as well.

2) Thinking of famous painters, are there spells that can divine who painted a particular work? If so, how powerful and rare are they? And what impact do they have on the market for forgeries?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 25 Mar 2010 22:03:01
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  23:44:47  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I reread the Polyhedron articles on Zhentil Keep today, and wondered what could be done to take such fine material out of obscurity.

Delving into older lore, one finds all those charming and intriguing references to events from Ed's campaign, such as the selection of NPCs in DM's Sourcebook and the roster of Zhentarim laid low by the Knights, from Krey and Tul (magelings?) to Zorkha and Xantriph. Did our Cowled She's character take part in the beholder battles?

And again, in Shadowdale, Shallain Freehold and Blackcreek Crossing, the only known settlements in the dale outside the main village until Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land brought Oakwood Knoll. (The wider dale missed the treatment the others got in the Volo's Guide because the village itself was well treated in the 1993 campaign box.) What's known of the two freeholds? Does the dale have other hamlets, thorps or villages of any size, or is the backland population all in steadings?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  00:39:48  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
And here's a mystery: the inset map in FR13 Anauroch shows a settlement called Ashabemar existing in 112 DR in the Elven Woods between modern Shadowdale and Mistledale. And a place called "The Holt", both beyond what I took to be the extent of Teshar, and nary a hint (if I didn't miss it) of what these were.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  07:12:21  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I'm probably going to hit a titanium clad wall of NDA's here, but let's try anyway: In 'The Many Murders of Manshoon', Talathra, Yhelbruna, Alastra, Ardanth and Yusendre are all referred to by El as daughters, and Talathra calls him father. Are they truly his daughters (or grand-daughters, great to the power of N grand-daughters), or is this just a show of affection between the Elder Chosen and his proteges?
El called Talathra Vaerovree 'the Last Magister'. Was she the Last Magister? The story did take place in 1385, so it would make sense... but it seemed as thought the Spellplague was in stages, not one shockwave, so there might have been another one after her? Also, could any information be shared about her, or any others of El's 'daughters' (Yhelbruna, Alastra, Ardanth and Yusendre) mentioned in the story?
Lastly, and unconnected to The Many Murders of Manshoon - Were there any CHosne of Mystra before Elminster? He is called the Elder Chosen, but might there have been some before him? If so, who? If not, why?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  11:26:44  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
A question about Ellarian Dawnhorn, the New Velar Constable.
I am trying to put some info on her down. In 4th edition, would she be more accuratelly be known (to those who can make the distinction) as a swordmage, or as a wizard (or sorceress) with additional fighting/rogue skills?
I realize it is a minor difference, but I believe the title 'swordmage', in 4th ed Realms, has a certain status, at least among the Myth Drannor eladrin.

Edit: Sorry, I wrote 'Sheera Goldenleaf' in my original post, but I meant Ellarian Dawnhorn. Sheera (or Shaera?) is a mage/thief (so unlikely a swordmage). Ellarian is a fighter/mage, so could be.

Edit 2: I'm also interested to know what kind of elves (sun, moon, wood, etc) they are (can't find that anywhere).

Edited by - gomez on 26 Mar 2010 12:14:15
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  19:09:25  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Re. the oldest Chosen, wasn't Azuth a Chosen, before ascending to godhood (and well before Elminster)?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  19:11:54  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Apropos of the questions about Cormyrean artists, are there any "up and comers" gaining fame in Suzail right now (circa "just pre-Spellplague")? And about how much would one of their paintings cost/be increasing in value over the last few seasons?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  19:39:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
There are definitely Chosen older than Elminster. After all, Mystryl had Chosen. Not that we know anything about them aside from a gleeful Ed giggle...

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  23:18:00  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Which leads to wonder if any of Mystryl's Chosen still live pre-spellplague?
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  09:33:54  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Wasn't Karsus one of them?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  15:08:01  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dearest, most honored Ed,
More ELMINSTER MUST DIE! teasers?
Or, failing that, the latest Spin A Yarn?
Pleeeeeeeeze!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  15:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
We don't, IIRC, know anything about Mystryl's Chosen. That said, there's no way Karsus was one. He had no respect for the gods, wouldn't have served one if they asked, and certainly wouldn't have tried to usurp her place if he was a Chosen.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  16:36:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Which leads to wonder if any of Mystryl's Chosen still live pre-spellplague?

The Lady Hooded One, ever the mistress of mysteries, once told us re: the fate of some of Mystryl's Chosen:-

" ... you tread into darkly perilous ground, approaching (gasp) a secret of the Realms that has been sitting in plain sight for lo these many years, just waiting for a brilliant scribe to pounce upon.

Heh-heh. Which is a grand way of saying Ed won't answer you directly. You'll have to wait (for some time) for a rather more public answer.

Heh heh heh.

love,
THO"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  17:26:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

We don't, IIRC, know anything about Mystryl's Chosen. That said, there's no way Karsus was one. He had no respect for the gods, wouldn't have served one if they asked, and certainly wouldn't have tried to usurp her place if he was a Chosen.

Actually, I don't believe that's correct. According to the GHotR, Karsus started working on his spell because the Terraseer told him of the prophecy that Mystryl would soon face her greatest challenge. He developed the spell to take her place so he would face the challenge in her place, not realizing that he was the challenge.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  18:08:52  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Actually, I don't believe that's correct. According to the GHotR, Karsus started working on his spell because the Terraseer told him of the prophecy that Mystryl would soon face her greatest challenge. He developed the spell to take her place so he would face the challenge in her place, not realizing that he was the challenge.

Karsus is in Netheril Age trilogy and is written as a child-like idiot savant spoiled elitist and indeed had no respect for the gods or anything else for that matter.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  18:12:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. From Ed:

My notes have yielded up a prominent painter of Suzail, circa 1357 DR: Elros Lazandur, an aging, crotchety, short and stooped man who does portraits and hunt scenes depicting nobility - - but refuses to do nudes or anything "modern." His work is well respected, expensive, and rarely comes on the market because noble buyers don't want to part with it. His house (including a front room shop/studio) is on Doloph Street ("DOE-loff"), which is one of the streets south of the Promenade and paralleling the Promenade, in the western half of the city.

So saith Ed. Who promises more, when he can get to it. (The Christmas tree is down after four years, so it's taxes now!!!)
love to all,
THO

Edit: fixed an Ed typo.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 28 Mar 2010 16:05:12
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  18:12:10  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Unlike most I follow novel lore over realms gamebook lore, with Ed's lore superseding all whenever it conflicts novel and gamebooks.
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  19:32:41  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
No disagreement from me. I do the same thing.
I see Ed as the ONLY source (along with dedicated fan scribes such as Boyd, Krashos, Cortijo, the James brothers, and BEAST) of the "long view" of the Realms dedicated to maintaining overall consistency and caring about the world as a coherent long-lasting setting.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  21:16:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Question: On page 134 in Hand of Fire, Hlael and Korthauvar mention Shaaan and Larloch, Szass Tam and Maraunth Torr .

Who are Shaaan, and Maraunth Torr? Peers of Larloch, and Tam?

Or will I get a big fat NDA?

Never heard of them until reading Hand of Fire...

Thanks for any answers.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  21:22:11  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all!
I bring Realmslore from the pen of the Master himself!
Back on page 5 of this thread, Penknight asked: “I know that women in the real world like to use flavored lip gloss and all of that, and I was curious if in the Realms women had anything like that. I have a female elf/fey'ri NPC that uses berries to flavor her lips, and I was wondering if any mages or anyone specialized in making things like that for women, and if so, what is it called, please? Thanks! Also, if it does exist, would clerics of Hanali likely be the ones that made if for the elven women? And are there certain flavors that are preferred by elfmaids?”
Ed now replies:

Penknight, you’ve hit upon a topic that has often featured in my home Realms campaign, but which was omitted from the published Realms from the outset (because of TSR’s desire at the time NOT to upset what some called “Gamers’ Mothers from Heck,” i.e. the religious-right complaints about D&D being Satanism or witchcraft; it was thought that anything that had to do with sex in the rules, including kissing, would just add fuel to the bad-publicity fires). As flavoured lip gloss would only arise as a game detail if kissing was going on, the subject was simply silenced.
In the “home” Realms, northern travellers of all races used bacon fat, plant saps, and anything else available (the jelly-like innards of the white cragberry, for instance; a juniper-like berry that grows on tiny evergreen tuft plants in mountain crevices) as lip balms in severe cold weather, to keep skin from freezing and cracking. Prostitutes (and sometimes, priestesses of Loviatar, Chauntea, and other faiths, or “just plain folks” who could afford it and wanted to do so, on wedding nights or festival nights) used various substances to dye the lips, flavour the lips, scent the lips, or impart sensations (i.e. the “glosses” - - which are called “mrathaera” by elves in the Realms, by the way, and “mrathaera” or the simpler corruption “thaira” by humans - - imparted drug effects to kissed creatures).
Among humans, mrathaera are well-known in Rashemen and in the Tashalar and Var the Golden, but few other humans know how to make more than one simple concoction. Any lasting gloss (that is, anything intended to do more than temporarily dye the lips and momentarily freshen breath or impart a scent or taste lasting more than, say, half an hour) consists of active ingredients and a waxier “base” substance.
Active ingredients consist of the juices of berries, essences (boiled down mixtures) of various herbs, and plant saps; the waxier bases are usually derived from certain evergreens, some berries, or even fats derived from crushing certain insects (such as the “layedur,” a species of large blue-green dragonfly abundant in Turmish, the Vilhon, and the Tashalar; carefully-dried layedurs are also sometimes worn as jewelry, pinned to hats or garments).
Most lip glosses can “take up” the tastes and scents of certain powdered herbs and spices (among prostitutes, a favourite is cinammon; mint is very popular among “just plain lasses” desiring to please lovers; lavender is very popular among elves); a mrathaera intended to make breath sweeter and lips tastier but not have a strong scent or taste of its own would utilize parsley or a similar herb.
Among known mrathaera drug sensations are the following: deadening the lips of the mrathaera wearer (against heat or bitterness, for instance), making a kissed person very sleepy (drowsy, slowed, or unconscious), or very excited (adrenaline rush) or very alert (all senses hyper alert; this can be useful going into battle, or when conducting stealthy forays in the dark), or bringing on hallucinations or pronounced dizziness, or imparting actual physical harm (poisons; hallucination, dizziness, and physical-harm effects almost always also affect the mrathaera wearer unless they have previously built up a tolerance to the particular substance).
Among elves, family elders are usually taught mrathaera-lore, and pass it on to younger family members (usually females and usually loners or plainer, more thoughtful individuals) slowly and secretively. Gnomes, halflings, pixies, and other woodland folk usually know much of this lore as part of wider passed-down family knowledge of herbs, spices, cooking, and physics (medicine). Among humans and half-elves, herbalists/apothecaries and various clergies (druidic in particular) specialize in such lore, and there are even a few assassins and courtesans (usually beautiful females) who use the more harmful mrathaera effects in their work. Knowledge tends to spread in times of war, when armies travel outside their “home” realms, and the camp-followers (prostitutes and healers) share information with their fellows and with those they press into training as needed.

Like all of my herb-lore (which was a mix of real and fantasy; that is, using invented plants and beastie essences such as red dragon bile), this sort of information was simply left out of the published rules. This was done for the same reason that Gary Gygax nixed my devil’s talismanic symbols from the DRAGON #91 “Hell Revisited” piece: the desire to avoid real-world experimentations and the troubles that could arise from them overrode all else. No one wanted the public relations headache of someone chalking one of my symbols on a church door somewhere, or the lawsuits from the grieving kin of someone who tried one of my fantasy herb concoctions and paid a fatal price. I don’t disagree with those decisions, by the way; sometimes, real-world considerations MUST trump the creative urge.

So saith Ed. Who is being extremely polite here, and neglecting to mention that it’s not just the lips up on the face that are sometimes adorned, but also lips rather lower down, too . . .

(strikes innocent batting-lashes pose that fools no one)

love to all,
THO

I've been out of town the last week and just now saw this posted. I wanted to say thank you very much, and that I'll put it into play immediately in my campaign. I find all of what was discussed very interesting, and stand in awe of Mr. Greenwood's creativity. Again, thank you very, very much.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  23:38:31  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone
[Who are Shaaan, and Maraunth Torr? Peers of Larloch, and Tam?

That would be Shaan the Serpent Queen

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  04:04:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring you new words of lore from Ed, this time in response to HelldoG’s query: “1. Are there any beauty contests in the Realms? How do they look like? Who sponsors them? What are the profits for victory (Besides the obvious one.)?
2. Is there something like Heavy Metal (Or Metal generally.) in the Realms? How is it/could it be called?
What about other genres?”

Ed replies:

1. The clergy of Sune sponsor beauty contests wherever they have temples (and they train contestants in dancing, singing, graceful movement and speech, and assist them with dress, scents, and cosmetics). The “prizes” consist of taking part in public rituals of worship to Sune (and a share in the offerings given to the temple during such rituals). In addition, many folk of both genders who desire beautiful mates or models for hire attend such rituals, with an eye to “acquiring the services” of such groomed beauties (as bedmates, spouses, prostitutes, or well-paid and unmolested models or “decorative” household servants).

2. There’s no such thing as electrically amplified music in the Realms, but magic is sometimes used to augment both thudding drum rhythms and “singing” or “wailing” wind-instrument music that can sound like a “weeping” or “searing” electric guitar. In terms of chanted or howled lyrics, loud choruses, “dark” chords, and a driving bass beat, the songs used by some orc shamans to inspire (“inflame,” some would say) orc hordes before battle is probably closest to heavy metal.
In Waterdeep and Amn, in the 1360s and 1370s, there’s a rise in a style of dance music performed in festhalls, clubs, and at revels that uses multiple yartings (guitars) played swiftly in harmony, plus high-pitched sung choruses and a driving beat, that sounds something like the Blue Oyster Cult hit “(Don’t Fear The) Reaper,” and for a score of years before that there have been “minstrel bands” performing for nobles and the wealthy up and down the Sword Coast that centered on dominant male singers that sounded rather like Ian Anderson of mid-period (War Child and onwards) Jethro Tull, but if you’re thinking “louder and heavier,” it’s orcs or nothing. :}
As for other real-world genres of music, or too-close soundalikes, be wary: the Realms is a medieval to Renaissance –level DIFFERENT WORLD than our Earth, so although you could probably point to specific Realms music and say “that sounds sorta like” ancient, or chant, or baroque, or “Celtic folk,” that’s just what it is: “sorta sounding like.”
Of course, none of this stops you from having characters in YOUR Realms campaign develop music that sounds EXACTLY like heavy metal, and even have priests of Gond develop electric instrumentation. Just don’t blame me if some of the lurching undead who come after your characters look like Ozzy or Slash or . . . :}

So saith Ed. Who even now is girding himself for battle with the taxman . . .

love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 28 Mar 2010 04:05:26
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  05:40:11  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

Cheers

Damian

Thanks.

So what about Mr/Mrs Torr?

will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  06:09:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

Cheers

Damian

She's always been one of my favourites. I did a write-up of her in one of the Candlekeep Compendiums. ED had a read before it got published and noted that I had made her "powerful" which he then said, was "as she should be".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  06:16:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Thanks.