Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  01:38:43  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Thanks for the clarification, Kentinal. By way of another question for Ed (along with my apologies, but I know he loves this, regardless of how busy he is; I just know that the pile of questions isn't getting any smaller):

quote:

Posted by The Hooded One - 06 Jan 2006 : 01:27:01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, fellow scribes. Faraer, I couldn’t have put that better myself!
Ed tackles Skeptic’s recent query: “Hi, I'll try this one, but I'm pretty sure that I'll hit an NDA. (little spoiler from Hunter's blade trilogy) Knowing that the Companions of the Hall (Drizzt & co) will be heading to Gauntlygrim soon and that the 1ed FR set mentions that the Knights of Myth Drannor have visited this forgotten place, maybe we could learn a little more from their experience there?”
Ed replies:

Yes, maybe we could. :}
However, the published lore about Gauntulgrym has already started to drift away from my original version, and I’m certainly not going to hand my good friend Bob Salvatore any difficulties whatsoever by penning lots of lore that might get in the way of any storytelling he may be contemplating. So, sorry, the brick wall you expected to hit is indeed standing there in front of us all. :}

So saith Ed. Unsurprisingly. If you poke around in Ed’s past writings (Wyrms of the North, et al) you will find some lore about Gauntulgrym. We Knights did visit the place, but our memories aren’t particularly fond, so I’ll say no more about it, too. No matter how hard anyone wheedles (though it’s always good fun to see you try).
love,
THO

Is there anything more that can now be revealed about Gauntulgrym? I ask because I was looking at old lore and found this little gem in FR1: Waterdeep and the North:
quote:
Although the way is long and deadly, Gauntlgrym also connects with Great Worm Caverns, which house the ancestor mound of the Great Worm Uthgardt tribe.

If this is so, then why (apart from the "long and deadly" bit) do we not have a more precise location for this fabled city?

Many thanks!

My guess is that is being saved for Bob Salvatore's next novel Gauntlgrym

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4944 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  05:39:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
The location of Gauntlgrym isn't a long-lost secret at all. Well, not to the fans at least. It's located in the southern part of the Crags, east of Luskan.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 14 Mar 2010 07:37:01
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2064 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  08:13:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I thought it was south and east of Mirabar .......

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2908 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  09:10:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
The 3E map did move things around...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

darkelf15962
Seeker

22 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  14:02:19  Show Profile  Visit darkelf15962's Homepage Send darkelf15962 a Private Message
I have a question that may sound a bit silly, how would one go about writing a Forgotten Realms novel? I doubt I would(or could[I seriously doubt I could!]), but I'm curious anyway.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  16:01:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Well, darkelf15962, one would have to get a contract to do so from Wizards of the Coast. And the only way to get one would be to impress the Books folks as suitable by penning a good Realms short story (with their permission/an invite to a short story anthology, which these days usually means a "theme" book matching a trilogy written by another author) or by showing them samples of your other fantasy fiction that lead them to think you'd be a great fit for writing in the Realms.
In short, it isn't easy; book slots are getting fewer and farther between. Persistence can pay off; I recall seeing Jaleigh Johnson at GenCon after GenCon, politely approaching WotC editors, for years...and she finally got her chance.
When the chance comes, beat or meet your deadlines, don't pick fights or be difficult to work with, and deliver a great book.
Which is the same way to succeed with any good publisher.
A little bit of luck doesn't hurt, either, so: good luck!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  16:05:09  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I just found some old notes I took at one of Ed's long-ago GenCon seminars, and one name sprang off the page at me: "The Dragoncursed Crown."
What is the Dragoncursed Crown, and what can you reveal to us about it?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  16:06:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hah! Nothing, Blueblade, dear.
Sorry, but that's one of the oldest and longest-standing NDAs I know of.
Let me just hint: what crown in the Realms might most likely be cursed by dragons, hmm?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  16:13:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and Red Walker: glad you liked FALCONFAR! I really enjoyed it, too; what a romp! As for the future for all of those characters, we'll just have to see...

Regarding the location of Gauntulgrym/Gauntlgrym (either is correct, being as it's a human rendering of a name in which the "tul" ot "tl" is a glottal stop but some later speakers are enunciating it as if it isn't), its location is perfectly clear on MY Realms maps. I use photocopies of Ed's originals, after all, and they are the One True maps.

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  16:19:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
This just in, from Ed:

Verghityax, as it happens my rummagings in my lore-library (for other purposes that Must Remain Secret For Now) turned up the badge of Athkatla just today:

A circular shield of rich purple, upon which is a scarlet equilateral triangle, single point uppermost, filling the shield so all three points touch its edges. In the center of the shield is a white diamond, long axis horizontal; around the edge of the shield, but just a little inward from the actual edge, is a ring of twelve gold coins, all identical circular featureless discs. The purple represents wealth and refinement, the red textiles and luxury, the diamond supreme wealth, and the coins the wealth of all the Realms, flowing into Athkatla. (Not a subtle blazon, I must say.)

So saith Ed, creator of Athkatla and the Realms around it. More Realmslore coming, I promise!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  16:27:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again! Ed just surprised me with another missive, and this one contained a reply in passing to Joran Nobleheart, re. his query back on page 12 of this thread:

"Blade dancers" in this context means bladesingers, bladesingers in training, elves who follow the tradition of circle magic involving swords laid in a circle (points pointing inwards, to focus energies at the center of the circle, that are danced around by multiple dancers in a collective working), and elves who follow the tradition of recording and "playing back" the history of an elven family, community, or realm through dance and song, using drawn swords they hold as props.
In the setting described in that source, at the time covered by the source, these activities are usually practiced together.

So saith Ed, revealing more lore than I expected this morning!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  16:33:21  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
What a treasure trove this thread and its predecessors (the Questions for Ed ones, I mean) are! It's like going for a walk in the Realms and finding gold coins and diamonds and half-buried swords...
Yessss!
Ahem. I actually have a question.
(I know, big surprise.)
Ed, how much intermarriage is there between the nobles of Cormyr and Amn, and between the nobles of Amn and Waterdeep, and between the nobles of Waterdeep and Cormyr? (And how much relocation of specific noble individuals or families occurs, between and among these three places?)
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  20:03:17  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hah! Nothing, Blueblade, dear.
Sorry, but that's one of the oldest and longest-standing NDAs I know of.
Let me just hint: what crown in the Realms might most likely be cursed by dragons, hmm?
love,
THO

Oooh! I think I know this one! I'll take "Cormyr" for a Purple Dragon and a Devil Dragon, THO.

Also: my thanks to THO and GK for their prompt responses to my Gauntlgrym query; I'll have to check my published maps now.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 14 Mar 2010 20:05:32
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2010 :  01:35:09  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The location of Gauntlgrym isn't a long-lost secret at all. Well, not to the fans at least. It's located in the southern part of the Crags, east of Luskan.

-- George Krashos

Heh... I've just gone through my old poster maps, and I can't find it. I suspect that means that it's in the FR Atlas (my copy of which is several hours' highway travel away, along with most of my other 1E/2E sources and 80% of my hard-copy Dragon magazines).

Ed: Re: my earlier post on this subject: Is there anything more that can be said on Gauntlgrym now, apart from its (apparently public) location? I'm particularly interested in the differences between the published material and your conception. (I know, of course, that any answer depends on Bob being finished his writing about said city and the NDA police not telling us "Move along, nothing to see here."

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 15 Mar 2010 01:39:57
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2010 :  02:36:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Jakk, you won't find Gauntulgrym in the old print FR Atlas index or maps, because Karen Wynn Fonstad was asked by TSR to omit it.
You see, as one of his original turnover packages of the Realms, in 1986, Ed was asked to list available "dungeons" of the Realms (from little tomb "mini-dungeons" to entire subterranean cities, abandoned and otherwise) that could possibly be turned into adventures ("modules" in the parlance of the day) by TSR's staff designers. Ed generated a list (I'm not sure how long; I know Ed had over 30 completely keyed and detailed dungeons, from Undermountain to Irongard, and about another 40 partially-detailed or mentioned and located sites), and many of the places on it were kept "secret" for "soon" use. Not all of them got used, and Gauntulgrym is one of those.
Nevertheless, as a player in Ed's original Realms, who has studied Ed's original pencil maps many, many times and owns partial photocopies of them (this is all quite legal; I had them before TSR bought the Realms, and I signed my release form at the time of that purchase), I can attest to the clearly-marked location of Gauntulgrym, which George has stated correctly.
I strongly suspect Ed can't or won't say more, but I've sent your query on to him, just in case. (He is busily writing something Realmsian, as I type this.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2010 :  02:40:51  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
quote:

Hi again! Ed just surprised me with another missive, and this one contained a reply in passing to Joran Nobleheart, re. his query back on page 12 of this thread:

"Blade dancers" in this context means bladesingers, bladesingers in training, elves who follow the tradition of circle magic involving swords laid in a circle (points pointing inwards, to focus energies at the center of the circle, that are danced around by multiple dancers in a collective working), and elves who follow the tradition of recording and "playing back" the history of an elven family, community, or realm through dance and song, using drawn swords they hold as props.
In the setting described in that source, at the time covered by the source, these activities are usually practiced together.

So saith Ed, revealing more lore than I expected this morning!
love to all,
THO

Oh, thank you very much, Lady THO and Mr. Greenwood! I thought I knew a little of it, but that adds so much more to the subject.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2064 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2010 :  04:06:01  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:

Jakk, you won't find Gauntulgrym in the old print FR Atlas index or maps, because Karen Wynn Fonstad was asked by TSR to omit it.
You see, as one of his original turnover packages of the Realms, in 1986, Ed was asked to list available "dungeons" of the Realms (from little tomb "mini-dungeons" to entire subterranean cities, abandoned and otherwise) that could possibly be turned into adventures ("modules" in the parlance of the day) by TSR's staff designers. Ed generated a list (I'm not sure how long; I know Ed had over 30 completely keyed and detailed dungeons, from Undermountain to Irongard, and about another 40 partially-detailed or mentioned and located sites), and many of the places on it were kept "secret" for "soon" use. Not all of them got used, and Gauntulgrym is one of those.
Nevertheless, as a player in Ed's original Realms, who has studied Ed's original pencil maps many, many times and owns partial photocopies of them (this is all quite legal; I had them before TSR bought the Realms, and I signed my release form at the time of that purchase), I can attest to the clearly-marked location of Gauntulgrym, which George has stated correctly.
I strongly suspect Ed can't or won't say more, but I've sent your query on to him, just in case. (He is busily writing something Realmsian, as I type this.)
love,
THO

locations aside, is it possible to get ahold of this list??

or whats on it that isnt NDAs

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 15 Mar 2010 04:07:06
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
648 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2010 :  07:59:06  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Heh... I've just gone through my old poster maps, and I can't find it. I suspect that means that it's in the FR Atlas (my copy of which is several hours' highway travel away, along with most of my other 1E/2E sources and 80% of my hard-copy Dragon magazines).

Jakk,

I compiled locations onto the 3E Realms map for a Sword Coast North map a while ago (in 2008 actually). For Gauntlgrym's location, I used The North as source. You may want to have a look, as it's both on the maps in the back of that and I seem to recall something written about it too.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

I am a sexy, shoeless god of war!

The Sellplague began, for all intents and purposes, in the dominions of the Corporation. Greed murdered Good Design, unraveling common sense in the cosmos and destroying her dominion. At the same time, Sales Fears and Warcraft Envy happened into alignment. This cataclysmic coincidence led to upheaval, shaking apart the primeval order, opening up holes in wallets, and reshaping everything...
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2010 :  12:03:36  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
I would like to ask Ed if, on Lantan, there any major temples to other gods besides Gond? If so, could I ask to which gods and where?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2010 :  18:25:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! I bring you the words of Ed of the Greenwood, this time in lore-reply to a recent query by Baleful Avatar: “Dear Ed and THO, I'm hoping Ed can provide the badge or blazon or non-heraldic identifying mark that a private carting company based in Suzail (and shuttling folk around Cormyr's southern and Dragon Coast places in coaches) might use, circa 1360-1370 DR. The symbol, if any, (or name or slogan or whatever) that might be painted on the side doors of a coach to identify who it belongs to. And in a slightly wider secondary question, how would such a company USUALLY advertise, beyond mere word of mouth? Thanks!”
Ed replies:

Certainly!
One of the largest and most successful carters that does coach runs (carries passengers) as well as swift small-cargo deliveries in the Dragon Coast region circa 1360s-1370s (the time setting of your campaign, if I recall correctly from earlier posts here) is Harnheer’s of Saerloon, founded and run by the portly, worldly, terse, wily, and keen-witted entrepreneur Astigal Harnheer. He pays well, and employs both many family members and all the competent, trustworthy drovers and hire-guards he can find, managing to keep between 60 and 80 wagons and coaches on the road at any one time (a typical coach can hold six passengers and their belongings, sheltered from the weather, and more—but in far less comfort and shelter—in emergencies).
Harnheer’s has offices in Suzail, Marsember, Arabel, Daerlun, Saerloon, Selgaunt, Ordulin, and Yhaunn, and the office staff in all of those places is responsible for placing ads in broadsheets, posting handbill notices wherever they can (and think the posting is in a place where it’ll garner any business), distributing handbills in taverns and inns, and “talking up” the company in regular rounds of inns, taverns, warehouses, and markets. (This is typical of all such “fastcoach” companies.)
Fastcoach companies tend to have more irregular/flexible schedules than regular caravan costers, and to charge higher rates (but provide more personal service by deviating from a fixed route to make pickups and drop-offs, whereas the typical coster runs from their offices/yards/paddocks in one city or waystop to another, and passengers or clients have to arrange their own transport from those “set termini” (to use a real-world term; in the Realms, they would say “house to house” meaning the coster’s home bases at both ends, NOT a client’s home).
Harnheer’s runs some unidentified coaches (often at the request of clients wishing to remain discreet/transact shady business/relocate without alerting authorities or creditors). However, most of their conveyances are painted with the company blazon and motto (a horizontal, forked-ends banner bearing the words in Common: “Faster And Safer”).
The Harnheer blazon is a white circle with a horizontal red arrow entering its left edge halfway down, that runs to the center of the circle and ends there with its point at the exact center of the circle. From that point, three smaller arrows radiate out (one horizontal like the arriving arrow, one 45 degrees above this horizontal arrow, and one 45 degrees below this horizontal arrow). All three begin at the center of the circle as very thin
lines, and broaden as they run to the right-hand edge of the circle, where they end in identical arrow-points.
On some of the Harnheer coaches, this circle isn’t just painted on the doors; on one or both sides of the coach, it’s an actual buckler or circular shield (removable if there’s a need for defense), with the blazon painted on it.

So saith Ed. Adding new Realmslore (yes, this is newly penned) for us all.
More lore coming soon, I'm told...
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 15 Mar 2010 18:27:46
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2010 :  18:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Oooh! Is this guy any relation to the Rardolphus Harnheer buffoon PCs had to rescue in three (I think; maybe more) of Ed's old GenCon charity D&D events?
Rardolphus of the many flagons and huge long nose?
Inquiring minds want to know!

BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2010 :  18:32:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well spotted!
Yes, the coaching company owner is his younger brother. Rardolphus is still stumbling his way from noble household to handy Suzailan feast, around Cormyr. One of Ed's cozy comic NPCs. I'm quite fond of Rardolphus, actually.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2010 :  19:40:32  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Ah, many thanks for Crimmor's and Athkatla's blazon - a fantastic piece of Faerunian knowledge
Go to Top of Page

Eye of Horus-Re
Seeker

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2010 :  19:57:49  Show Profile  Visit Eye of Horus-Re's Homepage Send Eye of Horus-Re a Private Message
I dont know if this is necessarally an Ed question, maybe someone else has the answer. Are there any maps of Gauntlgrym in any available products past or present?

Long live 1384 and that which came before....!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2010 :  22:07:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I'm sorry, Eyes of Hores-Re, but the answer to that is: No.
Ed did provide TSR with some fragmentary maps (that is, a very small area of one level of the underground city), years ago, but they've never been published. (That is, so far as I know. My guess is that they didn't even survive the move from Lake Geneva to Renton.)
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 15 Mar 2010 22:11:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000