Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  23:16:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Faraer, I pounced on that same thing, and Ed explained with a grin that Laspeera meant "has the ability to," not "knows how to, automatically, if the Art is strong enough within them."
Note the context in which Laspeera is speaking; to whom (and why she may have chosen the precise words she did, to manipulate/nudge that person).
It was more of a "you can't count any suspect out" inference than an observation that "everyone's doing it."
love,
THO
P.S. It's nice to know someone else applies the eagle eye to such details. I'm sure it's why Ed puts most of them in.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 18 Mar 2010 23:18:05
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  02:39:44  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Eye of Hores-Re

Just a quick comment. After reading your answer to the damage question, I have only become more jealous of your great fortune to be a part of his gaming group. His imagination is unmatched IMO. The chain reaction from cutting one persons hand off is incredible! And thank you for sharing these things with us. It also must feel really awesome to see your character in print.

Which inspires a question from me for Ed...

How does he balance the game with such cinematic scenes? I ask out of curiosity because I would like to include such scenes in my games, but I am unable to reconcile story-cinematics with game balance.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  02:54:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. Faraer, I pounced on that same thing, and Ed explained with a grin that Laspeera meant "has the ability to," not "knows how to, automatically, if the Art is strong enough within them."
Note the context in which Laspeera is speaking; to whom (and why she may have chosen the precise words she did, to manipulate/nudge that person).
It was more of a "you can't count any suspect out" inference than an observation that "everyone's doing it."
love,
THO
P.S. It's nice to know someone else applies the eagle eye to such details. I'm sure it's why Ed puts most of them in.

Interestingly enough, the 3rd Edition rules backed it up by making Portals part of the "Wondrous Items" magic so if you have the Create Wondrous Item feat, know the requisite spells (teleport, greater teleport, teleportation circle or gate), and the time and money, you can build portals. The Portal Master feat (PGF, p. 42) decreases the cost to build them.

Edit: I'm realizing that, because I'm mentioning 3.x, it may seem slightly inflammatory, but I just wanted to point out that there's a rules basis for creating portals, not anything else.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 19 Mar 2010 13:00:09
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  04:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Zandilar: Partly it depends on what kind of game balance you're going for, and how big or small fry your PC's are. THO's description reminded me of a similar happening that took place in a Shadowrun game I played in years ago. My group had been hired to steal a thingy out of a guarded compound. It was a very valuable thingy and a number of mutually-antagonistic power groups had sent representatives to bargain for it. Needless to say, there was a lot of security, including astrally projecting mages floating around the compound. Unfortunately, one of them was using a focus.

Now, foci, in Shadowrun, are very useful things for mages. But they also have a weakness: they can be targeted by spells. It's called grounding, and essentially you funnel your spell down the focus's astral presence and have it affect wherever the focus is on the physical plane. And your target number is the force of the focus (often quite low), rather than the stats of the mage (usually quite high), which can lead to rather, umm, spectacular effects.

Like in this case. One of our mages grounded a fireball through the focus, and since it was Force 2, rolled a huge number of successes. The fireball exploded from the focus pinned to the mage's jacket inside the compound, vaporizing him and his fellow wagemages. That entire wing of the compound went up in smoke, and of course all of the factions thought one of the other factions was trying to take the thingy by force. So they all went after each other.

The reason I mention how big or small your PC's are is because, this being Shadowrun, our PC's are by definition expendable. So our GM had no problem forcing us into a six way gun-and-magic battle, through prepared positions, much of which we barely saw in passing as we're running, ducking very low. At one point we're in an elevator and the door opens and we see about twenty people blazing away; trolls with miniguns, elves with swords, mages and shamen and spirits, even an honest-to-Ghost vampire! Our characters look at each other, and one guy says to my guy, "Uh... yeah. You take care of that." He pushes me out, the elevator closes, and they go on. My guy is red paste in about ten seconds.

Of course, you can get away with that in Shadowrun. Other games you'd have the players up in arms.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  06:20:51  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

In short, "edition wars" shouldn't matter.

Plus, info can cut both ways. I have used pre-plague material in post-plague adventures, including information from the keep.
Using 4th ed material for early campaigns may be a bit more of a challenge.
Oh, and here is some 4th-ed Ed lore, for those who have access to D&DI:

Tarmel Drouth, Outcast Noble
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/duad/20100319

who, incidently, can easily be dropped in earlier set campaigns...

Hmm. No stats for Drouth?

quote:

Or, instead, speculate about what I'm not wearing.

Well, there goes MY productivity for the day...
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  09:44:56  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Excellent Sweet Lady, this is just what I was looking for.

I think I will give them some slight ties to the dwarves due to centuries of proximity. A few words, a couple of myths and cultural traits, and a great source of clues when adventurers are looking for old ruins or magic. Some of the attitudes to magic could also come from the same source.

But as this was mentioned in the answer, I have to ask another question. How did Ed and the earliest Realms handle the idea of spirits, then especially place-spirits? Where there spirits tied to all rivers, mountains, trees etc, in more or less an animistic system or where they rarer beings that were found at some distinct areas? They could logically be tied to both the Realmsian nature deities, beast cults and to the Elemental Gods as I see them. Even an alternative when it comes to Witches and their worship of Non-Human deities (as pr Dragon # 54) would be an idea.

Thanks again with a great bow, and as you know, I am always on my knees when needed.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  14:28:17  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
A few questions for Ed regarding the Seven, brought on by re-reading Blackstaff:
Alustriel mentions that it has been long enough since she was again a mother or aunt. This led me to think, which of the seven have known/acknowledged children? Alustriel has 14 (?) sons and some daughters. Storm is barren. Sylune is dead - but did she have any children? What about Alassra? Did Laeral have any children other than Maura, and did Qilue have any other than Ysolde? What of Dove - did she have any before Azalar?
This leads to my next question: What are the relationships between the Seven and their nephews/nieces? Is it that the moment you meet a relative, he's immediately welcome? Or are there some tensions between some of them, for example, Methrammar is uncertain with Qilue?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 19 Mar 2010 14:33:26
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  15:37:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahhh, Jorkens, a man after my own heart. Or, you know, something a little lower . . .

Menelvagor, off your queries go to Ed, but I'm warning you up front that most of the replies you seek are going to be NDA because of future creative FR plans (not necessarily anything specific, but more to preserve maximum freedom for future designers and writers).
I can answer a few of them, VERY tersely: Yes, Sylune had children. Full stop. Dove did not have any children before Azalar. Full stop.
And relationships vary, as in real life; some are close and loving, some are more distant but friendly and respectful, and some are bitter/estranged, with lots of shadings in between. Details? We'll see what Ed can or will say, but it may not be much more than this.

love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 19 Mar 2010 15:45:49
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  15:44:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Zandilar! Off your question goes to Ed, along with Jorken's barbarian queries, but by way of a 'starter' reply to you: this works because of the players and DM being comfortable with a roleplaying, storytelling style rather than a "roll-playing" gaming style. In other words, Ed DMing a table of strangers at a con is inevitably going to be different from Ed with any group of "home" or regular players with Ed.
Ed uses his voice (not just funny voices, but pacing) to vividly describe the surroundings and the unfolding action, calling for dice rolls from individuals when needed, and we as players try to vividly describe what we're doing, as well as speak as our characters. So we sit around actually conferring on what to do next at councils-of-war, but speak very swiftly indeed when action is unfolding. With that viewpoint for play, 'game balance' is a matter of Ed's preparation and planning, rather than players feeling slighted or in an adversarial relationship with other players or the DM.
I hope that helps. If I'm aiming wide of what you meant by game balance in this reply, tell me, so it'll help Ed aim HIS reply properly to address what you're after.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  15:51:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Jorkens, re. place-spirits: I found some of my notes (made long ago, when talking to Ed).

So, here we go:

Spirits powerful enough to really affect or communicate with humans were relatively rare (and non-existent in long-settled, "civilized" areas because the presence of many intelligent life forms tends to make them dwindle and then fade away. If you've ever read the sf classic WITCHES OF KARRES by James Schmitz, think of them as akin to the "vatches" therein. They are indeed tied to nature and elemental deities, and in some cases to some of the beast cults, but the nature of those relationships is ever-changing and varies widely. (We Knights have encountered place-spirits functioning as guardians for both Eldath and Mielikki, and a beholder-worshipping beast cult.)

Ed will of course add to this with a longer and more comprehensive answer. (When I get my hands on him, heh-heh...)
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 19 Mar 2010 15:52:05
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  15:53:22  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ahem. Isn't it time for some more ELMINSTER MUST DIE! teasers from Ed?
I'm missing my fix!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  15:54:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
It certainly is. I'll have to speak severely to him! (Now, where did I leave my whip?)

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  16:27:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Whoa!

Please don't slow down, milady. I'm having a lot of fun compiling these rapid entries into the "So Saith Ed" archive.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  21:04:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, fellow scribes!
As promised, two new ELMINSTER MUST DIE! teasers from Ed:

You'll see someone darkly handsome doing a LOT of watching. And not always being darkly handsome in appearance whilst doing so.

You'll watch a forger conduct secret negotiations, and grant something that may raise the eyebrows of some readers.

So saith Ed. Who's being as cryptic as he can. Sheesh.
(to quote him )
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 19 Mar 2010 21:09:22
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  01:05:44  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Ahem. Gallant scribes, I thank you for those warm and lascivious thoughts...
To answer sfdragon's question soberly and directly:
As a player, I can't be certain, because there's visible immediate damage, and then there are consequences (killing a rebel leader who was about to unleash civil war obviously does more "damage" to that cause than killing three wavering-loyalty rebels who were sitting in an isolated farmhouse drinking themselves into not taking part in the rebellion).
However, of the immediate visible damage done by single attacks I've landed, I BELIEVE the most impressive was a fight on the balcony of a mansion, wherein my (wounded) character's desperate hack sliced the hand off a foe on the stone balcony railing, as I shouldered him over the edge. His body fell through a skylight and onto a table below, doing much damage to a meeting of villains taking place around that table from the flying glass - - and his severed hand, gripping an enchanted sword, flew through the air and down into a chimney that descended to a lit hearth in a room where a fell wizard was awakening a dragon from stasis. The sword came into contact with both the hearth-fire and a spell that had just been cast, and the resulting blast took out the wizard, the dragon, and the building around them, causing a deadly rain of stone shards that slew or wounded many lesser villains who were restlessly roaming the mansion grounds, waiting for their leaders to wind up that meeting around the table. Fires were started, frightened survivors started swording each other in the smoke and confusion, and some of the villains' allies misinterpreted the turmoil at the mansion as meaning the authorities had uncovered the plot, and rushed to attack before they were properly organized and ready, allowing the outnumbered ruling forces to prevail.
No, I'm not going to be more specific about the place, the time, or the specific villain my character felled, because that could lead someone to easily identify my character.
Suffice it to say that with Ed as DM, players in an ongoing Realms campaign sometimes get to experience these glorious (or terrible) moments that reflect the interconnectedness of all things - - as one act precipitates consequence after unfolding consequence.
Ed remains THE Dungeon Master, in my mind.
love to all,
THO

Wow... I've been a part of similar chain reactions, both as a player and as a DM, but nothing so... explosive... in consequence.

quote:

Ahhh, Jorkens, a man after my own heart. Or, you know, something a little lower . . .

Menelvagor, off your queries go to Ed, but I'm warning you up front that most of the replies you seek are going to be NDA because of future creative FR plans (not necessarily anything specific, but more to preserve maximum freedom for future designers and writers).
I can answer a few of them, VERY tersely: Yes, Sylune had children. Full stop. Dove did not have any children before Azalar. Full stop.
And relationships vary, as in real life; some are close and loving, some are more distant but friendly and respectful, and some are bitter/estranged, with lots of shadings in between. Details? We'll see what Ed can or will say, but it may not be much more than this.

love to all,
THO

Anything Ed can say about the children of Sylune would be most welcome; were any of those children fathered by Aumry, or is that information NDA at this time?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  15:05:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. I have checked with Ed, Jakk, and he confirms that the children (yes, plural) are part of an old NDA (probably obsolete, but unlikely to get lifted anytime soon) as far as names, gender, and deeds, but that he can tell you:

No, Aumry was not their father. They are much older than that. (The Seven have existed, and been of childbearing age - - determined by Mystra as much as by natural biology - - for literally centuries.)

So saith Ed.
Provoking new Realms questions almost daily.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Mar 2010 15:05:55
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  15:08:58  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I'm interested in learning the name, looks, and goods specialized in of any caravan merchant or peddler, based in Hillsfar in the 1330s and 1340s, who would have been well-known in the Dales from frequent trips to and through them. (I am assuming that merchants who came to be trusted might take and deliver verbal or written messages, or even small items, from person to person within the Dales, in return for fees; am I correct in this assumption?)
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  15:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Lady THO and Allfather Ed,
reading the reply about Aumry and Sylune leads me to ask: how much did Aumry travel around the Dales once he became Lord of Shadowdale? Or did the Dale leaders not "conflab face-to-face" much, at that time?
Thanks in advance...
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  15:13:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Good questions, all!
Off they go to Ed, who reminded me that I have a sheet of notes he gave me (years ago) about well-known travelling Dales merchants somewhere...I just have to find it.
Wish me luck.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  15:15:09  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

Jorkens, re. place-spirits: I found some of my notes (made long ago, when talking to Ed).

So, here we go:

Spirits powerful enough to really affect or communicate with humans were relatively rare (and non-existent in long-settled, "civilized" areas because the presence of many intelligent life forms tends to make them dwindle and then fade away. If you've ever read the sf classic WITCHES OF KARRES by James Schmitz, think of them as akin to the "vatches" therein. They are indeed tied to nature and elemental deities, and in some cases to some of the beast cults, but the nature of those relationships is ever-changing and varies widely. (We Knights have encountered place-spirits functioning as guardians for both Eldath and Mielikki, and a beholder-worshipping beast cult.)

Ed will of course add to this with a longer and more comprehensive answer. (When I get my hands on him, heh-heh...)
love,
THO

Again, just what I was looking (and hoping)for. Its also a good way to use some of the stranger creatures, like the Water Weird, which make for an excellent manifestation of a lesser water-spirit.

A sub-question is of course if the "intelligent" lifeforms can nurture the spirits in some way by worship in some form and thereby hindering them in fading away? I am then thinking about areas such as the Dalelands where I can imagine old spirits, at least their memories, still being treated with respect. Not that difficult to imagine.

I will have to keep an eye out for Witches of Karres then; I actually bought a collection of old SF's recently including several by James H. Schmitz , but unfortunately not that one.

Again you have my thanks. In any way you want.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  15:17:48  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message
Hi, are there any intelligent races in the Realms that are near extinction, and possibly left behind weird structures, artifacts or technology. Or stranded alien groups/individuals?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  15:32:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Jorkens. Full agreement re. place-spirits being an ideal deployment for the more offbeat "natural/elemental" creatures like the Water Weird. All of Ed's place-spirits can: speak and hear, communicate telepathically/sneakily read surface thoughts of other creatures (VERY limited range), and become visible/invisible at will.
They can be strengthened by several means, more linked to augmenting the places they are linked to (tending an old and ailing tree, cleaning up a refuse-choked pond or rill, planting new "right sort of" plants to replace withered or harvested ones, etc.) than by direct worship.
Even in places where place-spirits are gone or long silent, they are respected (either feared on a superstitious level: "Don't go doing X at Y, or the Whispering One will get you!" or consulted for advice ("sleep a night on the bridge or atop the slaptail [[beaver]] dam, and heed your dreams") or thought to bring direct good luck if honoured in a specific way ("lie with your new love in the pond, and you'll be blessed with hardy twins who will never drown").
In Shadowdale as of the 1360s, there are still thought to be place-spirits associated with the Old Skull and with Harpers' Hill, and both road-bridges (west out of the dale hard by the Twisted Tower, and south that carries the north-south road across the river; the road that becomes the trail to Mistledale.
The Old Skull gives advice in the form of dream-visions to those who sleep atop the height, and curses anyone (and their kin) who leaps from it (so, no suicides except to bring down your own family), Harpers' Hill is a strong healer (including afflictions of the mind) and provider of guidance through dream-visions (but one must sleep there for several nights, when the moon is full or waxing to reach full the next night) AND keeps evil-aligned creatures and undead away from the Hill, and the two bridge-spirits are both associated with good monetary fortune and learning a truth.
There's also a rumor of a dell deep in the forest (where few folk of Shadowdale dare to go) that is scared to Mielikki, and guarded by unicorns and an unseen place-spirit, who wards against fire and keeps goblinkin, trolls, demons, and devils away.

I started to assemble this reply from two lines in old Ed notes, plus e-chatting with him about those notes and the topic last night, then amplified it to reply specifically to your post. Like table magic, this is one aspect of Ed's Realms that never really made it into the published setting.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  15:34:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Quale, the answer to your question is: Yes. More than one. I can think of four such races that are currently covered by active NDAs (meaning we MIGHT all "learn more" in the future). I doubt there's anything useful Ed will be free to say about this topic, however, beyond pointing out some sites/ruins.
However, we'll see; off your query goes to THE Man.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  15:45:50  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Jorkens. Full agreement re. place-spirits being an ideal deployment for the more offbeat "natural/elemental" creatures like the Water Weird. All of Ed's place-spirits can: speak and hear, communicate telepathically/sneakily read surface thoughts of other creatures (VERY limited range), and become visible/invisible at will.
They can be strengthened by several means, more linked to augmenting the places they are linked to (tending an old and ailing tree, cleaning up a refuse-choked pond or rill, planting new "right sort of" plants to replace withered or harvested ones, etc.) than by direct worship.
Even in places where place-spirits are gone or long silent, they are respected (either feared on a superstitious level: "Don't go doing X at Y, or the Whispering One will get you!" or consulted for advice ("sleep a night on the bridge or atop the slaptail [[beaver]] dam, and heed your dreams") or thought to bring direct good luck if honoured in a specific way ("lie with your new love in the pond, and you'll be blessed with hardy twins who will never drown").
In Shadowdale as of the 1360s, there are still thought to be place-spirits associated with the Old Skull and with Harpers' Hill, and both road-bridges (west out of the dale hard by the Twisted Tower, and south that carries the north-south road across the river; the road that becomes the trail to Mistledale.
The Old Skull gives advice in the form of dream-visions to those who sleep atop the height, and curses anyone (and their kin) who leaps from it (so, no suicides except to bring down your own family), Harpers' Hill is a strong healer (including afflictions of the mind) and provider of guidance through dream-visions (but one must sleep there for several nights, when the moon is full or waxing to reach full the next night) AND keeps evil-aligned creatures and undead away from the Hill, and the two bridge-spirits are both associated with good monetary fortune and learning a truth.
There's also a rumor of a dell deep in the forest (where few folk of Shadowdale dare to go) that is scared to Mielikki, and guarded by unicorns and an unseen place-spirit, who wards against fire and keeps goblinkin, trolls, demons, and devils away.

I started to assemble this reply from two lines in old Ed notes, plus e-chatting with him about those notes and the topic last night, then amplified it to reply specifically to your post. Like table magic, this is one aspect of Ed's Realms that never really made it into the published setting.
love,
THO

This gets better and better.

The spirits can of course be the ideal source of "DM" help also. Sleeping by a small lake might lead to a healing by a benevolent spirit, a crusty old stone spirit might give them information in a tough spot. A random helper and hindrance of sorts. I can even see the players (preferably with another system like a Basic Roleplaying variation) ending up in an Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser situation where they learn magic from old spirits that capriciously sends them out on various missions.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  16:12:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
"The spirits can of course be the ideal source of "DM" help also."
EXACTLY.
Ed has used it that way ("on us") many a time, over the years; both the direct aid and the guidance.
Though of course, various Knights' opponents have received such aid, too, as we've discovered a time or two.
It makes the Realms a far more fascinating place than the sort of setting that's defined merely by sizes of armies, imports and exports, and the like.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Mar 2010 16:13:34
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  16:15:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
It just occured to me: place-spirit aid and guidance would be a GREAT way to start a fledgling party of novices adventuring, and during their first few adventures, before they dare to travel very far afield.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  17:51:24  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Thanks yo so much Ed and milady, thoguh of course I'm quite disappointed to hear about the NDA's.
Another question regarding the Seven, which came from browsing Blackstaff Tower to compare with Blackstaff: Torlyn Wands mentions that he's the only owner of the full set of non-magical books written by The Seven Sisters. I would like to know (if I can! At times I feel that NDA's flow thrugh their veins, not silver fire) what non-magical books there are that were written by the Seven besides Lifelong With Regrets by Laeral, what they were about, and also what magical books were written by them.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  17:58:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Heh. I have checked with Ed, Jakk, and he confirms that the children (yes, plural) are part of an old NDA (probably obsolete, but unlikely to get lifted anytime soon) as far as names, gender, and deeds, but that he can tell you:

No, Aumry was not their father. They are much older than that. (The Seven have existed, and been of childbearing age - - determined by Mystra as much as by natural biology - - for literally centuries.)

So saith Ed.
Provoking new Realms questions almost daily.
love,
THO

Heh... not surprised on either count; I suspected what you confirmed regarding Aumry, being fairly sure that Sylune's children, if any existed, were older than Aumry to say the least. On the other point, old NDAs exist to get older, if for no other purpose, and I suspect those thirteen red pyramids under Ascore will remain an untouched mystery until Caina thaws out. On the bright side, I suppose, the maintenance of these old NDAs doesn't rule out a timeline rollback such as is supposedly coming down the pipe for Greyhawk... but there are other issues that make that much more difficult for the Realms than for Greyhawk, the vast number of novels being one of them. Still, if they can reboot Dark Sun with the claim that the Prism Pentad is "one possible way things can turn out"... anything is possible...

Enough blather from me; I probably have a question for Ed, but I've probably already asked it; I'm sure that the Keeper of the Questions (THO?) knows which questions I've asked and not yet been answered better than I do, so I'll avoid repeating myself for the time being. Besides, for the things I'm really interested in, the answer's probably "NDA, with no future publication in sight" anyway...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  19:29:56  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Menelvagor, I recall from an Ed GenCon seminar that at least two of the Sisters have written romances (chapbooks or novels). One of them became quite popular (under a pen-name). Can't remember any more than that right now, sorry.
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 20 Mar 2010 19:31:33
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  19:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
And it's hardly a daring guess to say that the magical books written by the Seven - - other than what's already been revealed in print, for example in THE SEVEN SISTERS 2e sourcebook - - are going to be NDA...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000