Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  16:11:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Kyrene.
Ed and I have chatted about this a few times, over the years. So consider what follows to be essentially a light paraphrasing of him, drawn from my notes made while discussing these matters with Ed (with him right there to amplify or "correct" me):

Language in the Realms is varied and ever-changing (deliberately so, to make it seem more like the real world, and therefore more real).
So, SOME speakers don't use either "dawnfry" or "morningfeast" at all, some use just one or the other, some use them interchangeably (even if they only use one, themselves, they UNDERSTAND them to mean precisely the same thing), and some distinguish: "dawnfry" is a camp meal, literally a skillet fry-up of some sort (fish or leftovers from the day before, eggs, sliced meat cooked in its own juices, the ubiquitous trail-food sausages, etc.), and morningfeast is a later in the morning (so, not necessarily at dawn), indoors, more expansive "first household meal of the day" meal (usually centered around something fried, but also including fruits, vegetables, and side-dishes).
"-feast" and "fest" are used according to the STYLE of speaking of the speaker (the dialect plus any tutoring plus speed of uttering words), because formally, it's ALWAYS "feast," but in many places and out of many mouths, the shorter, faster "fest" is what actually comes out.
So, formally, the early meal of the day is "morningfeast" with the more colloquial (or specific) "dawnfry" equivalent.
The midday meal is "highsunfeast" and the most popular equivalent term is "highbite"
The evening meal is "eveningfeast" with "evenfeast" a VERY popular variant, and "longtable" (for formal meals) or "latebite" (for informal ones) as popular equivalents
However, there are dozens of other local/regional terms, and names for meals taken at other times that often "drift" into use for the main three mealtimes, particularly in monasteries, mines, and other settings where those precise mealtimes may never be used.

So saith Ed, really, just lightly filtered through me.
Enjoy!
(Tummies rumbling yet, scribes?)
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Mar 2010 03:13:30
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  16:17:15  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
A daring question, if I may...
I don't expect Ed to share details with us, but has he pondered any details of how the Spellplague actually "worked," that may eventually be hinted at, for DMs to grasp at and use in guiding campaign play either through the Spellplague, or in dealing with its aftermath?
And would these details (even if still firmly NDA'd) readily allow a DM who doesn't want to contradict canon to go on running a campaign set in the 1370s and onward to remain essentially unchanged in a Sword Coast or Inner Sea locale for a couple of decades, while the Spellplague drastically changed "other regions," sending refugees with wild rumors into the campaign area but not doing all that much to campaign play except making a few wizards blow up and magic get wilder (castings like wands of wonder sometimes)?
Thanks for ANYTHING you or Ed can say, or hint... (hint, hint)
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  16:21:40  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO, I'm hoping Ed can provide the badge or blazon or non-heraldic identifying mark that a private carting company based in Suzail (and shuttling folk around Cormyr's southern and Dragon Coast places in coaches) might use, circa 1360-1370 DR. The symbol, if any, (or name or slogan or whatever) that might be painted on the side doors of a coach to identify who it belongs to.
And in a slightly wider secondary question, how would such a company USUALLY advertise, beyond mere word of mouth?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  16:25:24  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I've gathered that Ed has a long-running contract with Wizards (six novels?) and I know he just finished a trilogy for Solaris. Before that, he also wrote novels for Tor. Is there anything else in the works, for anyone (including WotC) that Ed can tell us about, yet? Or even drop hints about?
Please?
I for one eagerly await Ed's novels, finding them entertaining romps for the most part. So I want more!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  16:31:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Malcolm, Ed DEFINITELY has more in the works, but I'm not sure that he's at the point where he can reveal anything at all, yet.
Right now, we know that Ed's next Wizards novel will be ELMINSTER MUST DIE!, due out this August (at GenCon, I believe) and that he's at work on a sequel that therefore presumably is also about Elminster. (Notice how carefully I'm choosing my words, given my own background as a sometime book editor.)
Ed continues to work on short stories for various anthologies he's asked to submit work to, and - - because it's merely the professional thing to do - - keeps as mum about his other work as publishers expect him to (which means: if he's dropping hints or telling us titles and details, publishers WANT him to).
I will of course send your query on to Ed for him to add something to this answer I've given, but I doubt he'll be free to add much, right now. (So, of course, stay tuned!)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

HelldoG
Learned Scribe

101 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  17:17:48  Show Profile  Visit HelldoG's Homepage Send HelldoG a Private Message
Greetings, Lady Hooded One. I have some little questions for Ed:
1. Are there any beauty contests in the Realms? How do they look like? Who sponsors them? What are the profits for victory (Besides the obvious one.)?
2. Is there something like Heavy Metal (Or Metal generally.) in the Realms? How is it/could it be called?
What about other genres?

Away with powergaming propaganda! | I <3 Powergaming!

Don't feed the trolls. Especially the clever ones.
Go to Top of Page

Eye of Horus-Re
Seeker

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  21:20:09  Show Profile  Visit Eye of Horus-Re's Homepage Send Eye of Horus-Re a Private Message
Greetings M'lady THO. Just a quick query hopefully. Does Waterdeep have the equivalent of a Medal of Honor? If so, what would it look like and what is it called? My gaming group just saved the city from a very bad problem, and I want Lord Piergeron to award them a medal of some kind. Thanks in advance

Long live 1384 and that which came before....!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2010 :  03:05:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Eyes of Hores-Re, Waterdeep does indeed have some decorations. Here are some relevant passages from Ed's notes (circa 1978!!!):

Various Open Lords of the city have honored citizens with a variety of "decorations" down the years, but Piergeiron seems to have thus far settled on three:

* The Bright Sleeve: literally a sleeve of cloth-of-gold, embroidered with the name of the person it is awarded to; fits long human arms from wrist to upflared shoulder "flame," having a pleated "accordion" section at the elbow allowing it to be shortened for wear by shorter arms. Awarded to outlanders, citizens, and employees of the city (Guard, Watch, courtiers, hirelings) for "acts of bravery above and beyond expected conduct or paid duties." Example: rescuing someone at the risk of one's own life.

* The Shield of the City: a large golden shield-shaped chest badge (pin), backed by everbright battle-steel (so, can be an effective breast protection). Awarded for "outstanding acts of military service contributing to the protection of Waterdeep and its inhabitants," and so generally given to the Guard and Watch only (but sometimes given to nobles for jumping in to fight alongside city defenders). Examples of deeds that will win it: capturing a dangerous escaped fugitive or known murderer; spotting or helping to prevent someone poisoning food or water or drink in the city; or spotting an attack on the city in time for defenders to get ready to repel it.

The Valorstar: a "curve-sided diamond" badge (pin) of adamantine, set with a single large cabochon-cut (smooth ovoid) thumb-sized sapphire. Strikingly beautiful. Awarded for "long and meritorious service to the city" (such as many acts of tending the sick without pay, giving shelter or aid to the homeless or the destitute or visitors) or "outstanding civic service" (such as designing and contributing funds to the repair or expansion or erection of a needed building such as a "hospital" [[which means, as it meant in the real world in medieval times, homes for the poor, NOT a medical facility]]. Note that temples and religious building of any kind is never recognized by bestowal of this honour; it's expected that the faiths involved will confer their own marks of thanks and esteem.) The Valorstar has in the past been awarded for such "outstanding civic service" as tracking down serial murderers, uncovering plots against the city government and schemes to identify and murder Masked Lords, identifying those who vandalized and despoiled tombs, and settling feuds between nobles or among guilds.

So saith Ed - - and there you have it: relevant Realmslore, right to hand!
Wheeee! Enjoy!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2010 :  03:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Awesome! I needed this too! Yesssssss!
(Thanks!)
BB
Go to Top of Page

Eye of Horus-Re
Seeker

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2010 :  03:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Eye of Horus-Re's Homepage Send Eye of Horus-Re a Private Message
THO, you and Ed rule! Thank you so much for responding so quickly!!

Long live 1384 and that which came before....!!!
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2010 :  08:28:58  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Thank You very much Ed for the hasty reply about cities' crests :) If I may I would like to ask about few more cities in this matter: Athkatla, Crimmor, Sundabar, Elversult, Westgate, Suzail, Marsember, Immersea, Arabel, Eveningstar, Wheloon, Ankhapur, Mulmaster, Hillsfar and Melvaunt :) Any of these would be great to know :)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2010 :  23:38:13  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
When you mention Valorstars have been awarded in the past for tracking down serial murderers....you touched on a topic I long wondered about. Who would be the serial killer types in the realms who would known realms wide? Or at least throughout a kingdom or large areas ? Who would be Watserdeep's most prolific and when did they commit their murders? And were any of Waterdeep(or any in the realms) trully poweful victims of such a killer?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 11 Mar 2010 13:47:26
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2010 :  15:54:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Great questions, and off they go to Ed.
I'm rummaging around for an e-mail he sent me some while back that has the badge of the city of Crimmor, for Verghityax...please hang on; I hope to post it before end-of-day.
Sage, Ed tells me there's very little musical lore in ELMINSTER MUST DIE! because there just wasn't space in the wordcount; he had to chop and hack brutally near the end of the book just to squeeze things in under the wordcount. However, he wants me to remind you that there are several sequels in the works, and he's mindful of the lack of musical detail...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2010 :  15:57:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Jakk, re. that halfing bordello: nice try.
However, you won't pry its location out of me. I prefer stimulation to the upper half of my body, too.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2010 :  16:01:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Found it!!
Verghityax, here's the badge of Crimmor, from Ed:

. . . a white, borderless shield crossed horizontally at its midpoint by a blue band (bar), representing the river. Centered on this band are three golden identical eight-spoked wagon wheels, the central one overlapping the edges of the outer two (representing caravan trade).

So saith Ed. I've sent your additional cities list to him, in hopes it will produce the lore you seek.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2010 :  16:07:44  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

However, he wants me to remind you that there are several sequels in the works, and he's mindful of the lack of musical detail...
love,
THO
Awesome news! My thanks Ed, and to you as well my lovely lady.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2010 :  20:03:36  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

However, you won't pry its location out of me. I prefer stimulation to the upper half of my body, too.
love,
THO

This brings to mind this question:

THO have you ever "modeled"?

Edited by - The Red Walker on 11 Mar 2010 20:04:26
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2010 :  23:35:38  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Your preferences are quite understandable, milady THO. But that's why the halflings (who are very acrobatic) work in pairs for human and elven clients.

Edit: To keep on topic: another question for Ed (and no, it's not about the Cormyr lineage): How much of the physical geography of the Realms east of the Sunrise Mountains was in place prior to TSR's involvement with the Realms? Did Zeb Cook extend the map, or did he just do the social-geography end of things with Kara-Tur? Also: Same question, for Jeff Grubb and Zakhara.

Thank you both again for all your time and the answers you provide to all of us here at Candlekeep.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 12 Mar 2010 00:00:26
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2010 :  23:51:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.

To Jakk: AHEM.

To Red Walker: Yes. Both for artists and for photographers. Long ago. No, I can't say more (due to my need to remain professionally anonymous). I am female, Caucasian, and have the usual number of arms, legs, and feminine protruberances.
Well, at least I did the last time I looked down.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Mar 2010 03:12:33
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2010 :  19:19:19  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.

To Jakk: AHEM.

To Red Walker: Yes. Both for artists and for photographers. Long ago. No, I can't say more (due to my need to remain professionally anonymous). I am female, Caucasian, and have the usual number of arms, legs, and feminine protruberances.
Well, at least I did the last time I looked down.
love,
THO

Hmmm.....and you do consider writing an art? and thereby Ed an artist?

And thanks as ever for your under-appreciated ability to take nothing too serious! Not to mention the fearlessness of your answers!

But I think every scribe wants to know how much Hrasted longer you need to remain anonymous

P.S. Finished Falconfar a while back , but still mentally digesting it! So much left undone and all! And very interesting that the new King wants the beautiful and deadly Tay as his "Lady Herald" ...where does Ed draw his inspiration!

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3294 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2010 :  20:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
(from 2006)
quote:
drone (a large, stationary double-reed instrument with a bladder and several mouthpieces, played by multiple musicians and sounding either like the drones of a bagpipe or an organ or synthesizer that's being played like the background supporting tone in the aforementioned "Lord Baker").
This is great!
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2010 :  17:22:16  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
A question for Ed, though I suppose our Lady might have an answer as well, or any other long time dwellers of Candlekeep, as I'm sure it's probably been asked:
When does an NDA get removed? That is, what circumstances might lead to one getting removed? I simply wish to assess the probability of certain NDA's (primarily those regarding Syrumstar Auglamyr - though for that I should probably ask Steven) being removed.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions Ė just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2010 :  18:52:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

A question for Ed, though I suppose our Lady might have an answer as well, or any other long time dwellers of Candlekeep, as I'm sure it's probably been asked:
When does an NDA get removed? That is, what circumstances might lead to one getting removed? I simply wish to assess the probability of certain NDA's (primarily those regarding Syrumstar Auglamyr - though for that I should probably ask Steven) being removed.

Heh. I can take a good shot at answering this one, as I've asked it before. Except in rare occasions (Ironfang Keep being a recent example), NDAs don't get removed except with completion of the related project. If a project is cancelled, or if plans change, the NDA (now orphaned) typically stays active. Why this was the case in the first place, I have no idea; why it is now, is simply that there are too many of them to sift through and sort, even for a legal team the size of Wizbro's (who, of course, have other things to do than look over NDAs)... not to mention the fact that material placed under NDA for one project (which is later cancelled) may be co-opted by another project down the road.

Personally, I still think this should automatically incur a "cease and desist" for all NDAs covering pre-Spellplague material, but I'll assume that there are reasons for doing otherwise.

If there's anything I've missed or got wrong, I trust that Ed and THO will correct me.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 13 Mar 2010 18:58:16
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4275 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2010 :  19:24:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
NDA only get removed when the company determines there is no reason to maintain it. That is not when a project is completed, it is when a determination is made that no future products will be made. Eilistraee is dead and still under NDA in many respects, a question I asked a long time ago about the Promenade is still under NDA. There are many other examples of course, just those two come to mind.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2010 :  23:26:14  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Thanks for the clarification, Kentinal. By way of another question for Ed (along with my apologies, but I know he loves this, regardless of how busy he is; I just know that the pile of questions isn't getting any smaller):

quote:

Posted by The Hooded One - 06 Jan 2006 : 01:27:01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, fellow scribes. Faraer, I couldnít have put that better myself!
Ed tackles Skepticís recent query: ďHi, I'll try this one, but I'm pretty sure that I'll hit an NDA. (little spoiler from Hunter's blade trilogy) Knowing that the Companions of the Hall (Drizzt & co) will be heading to Gauntlygrim soon and that the 1ed FR set mentions that the Knights of Myth Drannor have visited this forgotten place, maybe we could learn a little more from their experience there?Ē
Ed replies:

Yes, maybe we could. :}
However, the published lore about Gauntulgrym has already started to drift away from my original version, and Iím certainly not going to hand my good friend Bob Salvatore any difficulties whatsoever by penning lots of lore that might get in the way of any storytelling he may be contemplating. So, sorry, the brick wall you expected to hit is indeed standing there in front of us all. :}

So saith Ed. Unsurprisingly. If you poke around in Edís past writings (Wyrms of the North, et al) you will find some lore about Gauntulgrym. We Knights did visit the place, but our memories arenít particularly fond, so Iíll say no more about it, too. No matter how hard anyone wheedles (though itís always good fun to see you try).
love,
THO

Is there anything more that can now be revealed about Gauntulgrym? I ask because I was looking at old lore and found this little gem in FR1: Waterdeep and the North:
quote:
Although the way is long and deadly, Gauntlgrym also connects with Great Worm Caverns, which house the ancestor mound of the Great Worm Uthgardt tribe.

If this is so, then why (apart from the "long and deadly" bit) do we not have a more precise location for this fabled city?

Many thanks!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000